Old 11-30-2012, 10:11 PM   #5241
krunkykai22
<3 Jumpstream <3
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to krunkykai22 Send a message via Yahoo to krunkykai22 Send a message via Skype™ to krunkykai22
Default Re: Queue/Batch Discussion Thread v2 (Submissions CLOSED)

Kommi, I agree. With the next batch I have a more detailed song I will be stepping since I, now, had more time to go in depth to look for a song with variation rather then simplicity. So, again, thanks for the re-done review. Hope you understood where I was coming from.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:12 PM   #5242
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by krunkykai22 View Post
One little problem I have with this kind of relates to why Spitfire got mad at Ichlie. It doesn't matter what your opinion is. In this case, "we have enough of those," that's not your decision to make and you shouldn't base a file off of this reasoning period.
Those are 2 different problems entirely. I got mad at ichlie because ichlie was fixated on ONE LAYERING METHOD TRUE LAYERING METHOD, while there are many more valid ways to layer a file and it should've been reviewed in that way. "Having enough of those" is actually a good argument for judging. Simfile packs don't accept everything based on whether it's technically good either, but rather on what complements the pack.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #5243
kommisar
Dark Chancellor
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to kommisar Send a message via MSN to kommisar

totally. there isn't really anything wrong if you like long jumpstream files, but when trying to cater to a larger audience, generally some variation is nice.

no disrespect to your song choice krunky, but it'd be hard to make something interesting out of it.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:14 PM   #5244
Elite Ninja
Kawaii Desu
Difficulty Consulting Cat
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I like long jumpstream files. I wonder how Makiba got in.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #5245
krunkykai22
<3 Jumpstream <3

Send a message via AIM to krunkykai22 Send a message via Yahoo to krunkykai22 Send a message via Skype™ to krunkykai22

"Having enough of those" is actually a good argument for judging. Simfile packs don't accept everything based on whether it's technically good either, but rather on what complements the pack."

I HIGHLY disagree with you on this statement, but again it's completely opinionated. We have almost/over 2k songs in game right now. Jumpstream files aren't anywhere near some other styles that we currently have. We have a shit-ton technical files, along with a huge base of stream files. (Pure stream)

Judging based off what what we have in game already is meager to say the least. Judge the file on how it's stepped, and rate it there on.

/opinion

EDIT: Kommi, I agree, again it was thrown together 2/3 days before the batch opened. As I said in my last post, I have a much better song variation for the next batch.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #5246
Razor
Dan "Razor" Devilz
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

it's also kinda dumb to say that Spitfire's layering scheme in Dear Noriko was 'inconsistent', given the fact that he has files such as Do I Smile?, Pandora, Starry Sky and other jump-heavy songs already in the game, lmao.
3rd: Retro City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers
I play Stepmania, so I know everything about media formats.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:17 PM   #5247
Xiz
TWG Chaos

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by kommisar View Post
cuz you don't just reject kommisar files.

(I got bored....)

Old 11-30-2012, 10:19 PM   #5248
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
"Having enough of those" is actually a good argument for judging. Simfile packs don't accept everything based on whether it's technically good either, but rather on what complements the pack."

I HIGHLY disagree with you on this statement, but again it's completely opinionated. We have almost/over 2k songs in game right now. Jumpstream files aren't anywhere near some other styles that we currently have. We have a shit-ton technical files, along with a huge base of stream files. (Pure stream)

Judging based off what what we have in game already is meager to say the least. Judge the file on how it's stepped, and rate it there on.

/opinion
I'm not saying it should be completely ignored or anything, and if it's a good file it'll get in anyway, but think of it this way.
If everybody started to submit longjack files and only longjack files would be entering the games, you wouldn't want to play FFR anymore now would you?
Old 11-30-2012, 10:22 PM   #5249
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

Quote:
EDIT: Carlos, how is that pointless? It is detailing specific parts that could be fixed or redone? lol And ffs I'm not fixing the file lol nor am I gonna resubmit it haha. it was something I threw together 2/3 days before the batch opened. Again I was glad I got 3 good ratings for my first solo chart.
its pointless because pointing out where places repeat is something that you would be able to notices just by looking at the file again. there is no need to mark down specific time signatures for something thats wrong with the entire file
Old 11-30-2012, 10:23 PM   #5250
krunkykai22
<3 Jumpstream <3

That's an obvious factor to decide if it ever happened.

I do understand, however that in recent batches there has been a LOT of jumpstream files that have been submitted, and hence the songs of the week is always bound to have at least one jumpstream file put in game on Saturdays. But, since there aren't nearly as many JS to other style(s) ratio, it's merely debatable.

But, keep in mind, I'm not totally disagreeing with you. I understand where you're coming from, but at this current state of the game itself, it'd be pretty hard to factor all that in when it's not a majority (yet).

EDIT: Carlos, it may be easier for someone like you to notice these things easier then for someone like me. Again, I'm more or less at the beginner stages of stepping for this site. I've stepped 2 other JS files with a few collabs between DF/TS. (Yes I need to switch up my stepping style I know) But, regardless it's better to elaborate for a newer simfile artist so that they can easily pick these things up like you or any other elite simfile artist can do. Understand where I'm coming from?

Last edited by krunkykai22; 11-30-2012 at 10:25 PM..
Old 11-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #5251
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
That's an obvious factor to decide if it ever happened.

I do understand, however that in recent batches there has been a LOT of jumpstream files that have been submitted, and hence the songs of the week is always bound to have at least one jumpstream file put in game on Saturdays. But, since there aren't nearly as many JS to other style(s) ratio, it's merely debatable.

But, keep in mind, I'm not totally disagreeing with you. I understand where you're coming from, but at this current state of the game itself, it'd be pretty hard to factor all that in when it's not a majority (yet).
Even so, it's not desirable to have repetetive non-stop jumpstream files in game for most people. They get boring very quickly.
There are plenty of songs that can be stepped as non-repetetive jumpstream
Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 PM   #5252
krunkykai22
<3 Jumpstream <3

I agree, it just so happened that the song choice I had chosen factored into a repetitive jumpstream file. Now that I understand where you guys are coming from it's easier to not make that same mistake twice.

EDIT: Gotta love mexicans ... i mean ... ricans rofl
Old 11-30-2012, 10:31 PM   #5253
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

I have the game sitting next to me, believe me it's unbelievable.
I'm talking about Einhander!

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 PM   #5254
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

Quote:
EDIT: Carlos, it may be easier for someone like you to notice these things easier then for someone like me.
well its more just commonsense from there.

im new and someone tells me hey your file repeats a lot change it up

i go to my file and play it again
im not very dumb and i know what the word repeats means so i go to the editor and look at the file. i look for things that repeat. i notice things repeating so now i know what the judge meant and i either try to change things myself or i ask for help on what to do next.

this is why elaborating seems pointless to me. i get where you're coming from but i dont think people lack commonsense and are able to decipher something as simple as "hey this is repetitive"
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 PM   #5255
Niala
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Send a message via AIM to Niala Send a message via Skype™ to Niala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
well its more just commonsense from there.

im new and someone tells me hey your file repeats a lot change it up

i go to my file and play it again
im not very dumb and i know what the word repeats means so i go to the editor and look at the file. i look for things that repeat. i notice things repeating so now i know what the judge meant and i either try to change things myself or i ask for help on what to do next.

this is why elaborating seems pointless to me. i get where you're coming from but i dont think people lack commonsense and are able to decipher something as simple as "hey this is repetitive"
"Common sense is so rare that it should be considered a superpower."
Old 11-30-2012, 10:37 PM   #5256
krunkykai22
<3 Jumpstream <3

Again, to you it seems pointless, but you never know, someone else may want the actual areas pointed out. The file was 1:09 as I said, for one lousy minute repeating jumpstream isn't bad, so pointing it out is fairly simple I would imagine. (yes btw I do know it repeated a few times, considering the length of the file and the repetitiveness in the song itself, I found it quite ridiculous to either mirror it or turn it :/)
Old 11-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #5257
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

i guess i'll just start treating everyone like retards then
Old 11-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #5258
krunkykai22
<3 Jumpstream <3

Lol there you go. Talk about common sense, it's common sense to not be able to have a decent conversation with you without you turning heel just like that in the snap of a finger. You made your points as I made my points. As you have stated in the huge argument the other day, you're a professional elite judge. Be that as it may, but if you're going to call yourself that, at least act like one and respectfully depict all the errors whether they are common sense or not for any and all simfile artists. I'm not close to being a judge or anything but THAT is pure common sense coming from a member of this community for over 9 1/2 years.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #5259
AlexDest
good hot
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
I'm not close to being a judge or anything but THAT is pure common sense coming from a member of this community for over 9 1/2 years.
oh
Old 11-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #5260
Nullifidian
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Lol there you go. Talk about common sense, it's common sense to not be able to have a decent conversation with you without you turning heel just like that in the snap of a finger. You made your points as I made my points. As you have stated in the huge argument the other day, you're a professional elite judge. Be that as it may, but if you're going to call yourself that, at least act like one and respectfully depict all the errors whether they are common sense or not for any and all simfile artists. I'm not close to being a judge or anything but THAT is pure common sense coming from a member of this community for over 9 1/2 years.
That's not completely fair to say. That's like saying a well-respected art critic or music critic for a highly-skilled competition needs to elaborate on every thing that's wrong with a random beginner's piece of art or music. The critic would basically have to form the entire idea of the art piece or song for that beginner if he's forced to critique every thing that is wrong with it if the fundamentals are wrong to begin with, and that's not the critic's job. That beginner is just out of his league submitting his work to that competition and until he/she has gained some sufficient knowledge to be able to compete with the others, he has no right to complain about any of the feedback he receives either.

Last edited by Nullifidian; 11-30-2012 at 10:49 PM..
Closed Thread