Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games

Old 08-5-2016, 01:51 AM   #1
Zachattack83
FFR Player

Unhappy I'm a bit scared on the subject of Pokemon...

So, I've never really been into pokemon, but after playing a bit of "Brick Bronze" (which for many of you who don't know is a very professional spinoff pokemon game on ROBLOX that's still in development to this day), I've been thinking about buying Pokemon Moon when it comes out (which just so happens to be very close to my birthday! SCORE!). The thing is, though, I feel like half of the people that play pokemon at this rate are like, HUGE pros on the game, knowing each and every pokemon's base stats, weaknesses, resistances, mega evolutions...meanwhile, I can't name half of the pokemon I come across. Do you think I'll be okay launching into S&M as a noob with mild knowledge of the game(s)?

Zachattack83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2016, 01:54 AM   #2
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Default Re: I'm a bit scared on the subject of Pokemon...

If you start S&M as a beginner, you shouldn't worry. A lot of people are willing to show you the ropes, it'll just hurt while you get used to it.
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2016, 01:55 AM   #3
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachattack83 View Post
Do you think I'll be okay launching into S&M
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

there's a reason gens are usually just abbreviated "BW" or "GSC" instead of "B&W"

hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2016, 01:57 AM   #4
hi19hi19
lol happy

As a serious response, you'll be fine. Pokemon games are not hard even if you have no idea about anything, and the most recent generations have made this even more true.

It's actually very fun to try to guess what type Pokemon are from how they look. The trial and error makes it more enjoyable to me every time a new generation is released. I try to resist the temptation to head to Bulbapedia or Smogon and look up everything until I beat the game once.

Honestly you only get to play Pokemon for the first time once. Don't worry about being "pro" just jump in and have fun. Use the Pokemon you like, nobody's gonna judge lmao

Last edited by hi19hi19; 08-5-2016 at 01:59 AM..
hi19hi19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2016, 02:02 AM   #5
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I just put whatever pokemon is not fugly and steamroll the story by overleveling

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2016, 11:51 AM   #6
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak

Pokemon is super beginner friendly, you only need to worry about all that advanced stuff if you are interested in the competitive scene really.

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2016, 11:53 AM   #7
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

So like, is pokemon not a single player game anymore?

You learn it as you play through the game lol..

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 08-5-2016 at 11:54 AM..
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2016, 12:16 PM   #8
thesunfan
Role Tide
Sectional ModeratorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to thesunfan

you'll be fine, kiddo
Did you get a chance to kill that deadbeat sonuvabitch boyfriend of danceguys', "sunfan"? i hate that fucker. he's a stupid head. i'm way smarter and funnier and prettier and richer and more sensitive than him, and like i can get drunk and still hold complex logical conversations n shit and i bet that fucker cant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
I'd suck a dick in a dark, dark alley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by star-crossed View Post
(Someone helpfully lectured us in postgame that we voted out the wrong inactive player with COVID on Day 1.)
thesunfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2016, 12:24 PM   #9
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Here's a story you might find a bit comforting OP. I hadn't played a pokemon game since soul silver and when I did I didn't EV or IV breed. I played it fairly casually and then cast it aside and forgot about pokemon for a while. About 5-7 years later (not sure how old soul silver is) I decided I'd see what this mega evolution shit is all about and bought Alpha Sapphire. LOVED IT. It's the best pokemon game i've ever played and I just kept at it, reading all I needed to know to figure out how to play on a competitive level. It's a huge time investment but I came into this game knowing almost nothing besides the original 250. Now I am a god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
As a serious response, you'll be fine. Pokemon games are not hard even if you have no idea about anything, and the most recent generations have made this even more true.

It's actually very fun to try to guess what type Pokemon are from how they look. The trial and error makes it more enjoyable to me every time a new generation is released. I try to resist the temptation to head to Bulbapedia or Smogon and look up everything until I beat the game once.

Honestly you only get to play Pokemon for the first time once. Don't worry about being "pro" just jump in and have fun. Use the Pokemon you like, nobody's gonna judge lmao

The main story line isn't hard, but playing it competitively not so much. I'm so balls deep in the meta that I'm playing people who develop counter strategies for classic smogon strats upon which I've developed counter strategies to account for both. I wish smogon singles was equally as accepted as VGC as far as holding tournaments go because I am really fucking good at singles. I don't like VGC's inclusion of all legendaries and it seems that less than 20 pokemon are really viable. With smogon singles i've got like, 150 different BR ready pokes and they're all-stars. BATTLE ME BROS
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-5-2016, 12:57 PM   #10
drizzleRomanceGirl
rain of memories...
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to drizzleRomanceGirl

i played the first three pokemon games without playing competitively and they were A LOT of fun i love adventuring and talking to all the players, and it's fun trying to find my favorite pokemon

my discord username is drizzleRomanceGirl0706 in case anyone wants to message me

Division 5 2nd place

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosua View Post
Oh, I thought it was just my internet this whole time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Also that triple post is almost as delicious as a hot, fresh, Domino's pizza.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
can y'all take a break and kiss
(the first section of this chapter)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5125582...sokyo-no-Jinja
drizzleRomanceGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 08:21 PM   #11
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Quote:
So, I've never really been into pokemon, but after playing a bit of "Brick Bronze" (which for many of you who don't know is a very professional spinoff pokemon game on ROBLOX that's still in development to this day), I've been thinking about buying Pokemon Moon when it comes out (which just so happens to be very close to my birthday! SCORE!). The thing is, though, I feel like half of the people that play pokemon at this rate are like, HUGE pros on the game, knowing each and every pokemon's base stats, weaknesses, resistances, mega evolutions...meanwhile, I can't name half of the pokemon I come across. Do you think I'll be okay launching into S&M as a noob with mild knowledge of the game(s)?
It's the best way to go in. That way you know about as much as the target audience would.

And if you want to know more, we're here for you.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:33 AM   #12
Starlight562
Flower Baby♥
FFR Veteran

I played my first Pokemon game a year and a half ago when my boyfriend nudged me into it after he got Pokemon X.

I grew up watching the first gen Pokemon on Cartoon Network, so at least I was familiar in that aspect, but I never was able to catch up with all the new ones introduced. I had the same amount of fun as him! You learn as you go, don't worry at all. Now I'm very excited for Pokemon Sun and Moon to be released.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:08 PM   #13
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
I just put whatever pokemon is not fugly and steamroll the story by overleveling
It's funny how the game tries to help you out by saying it's better to level the whole party up when in reality it's way easier to just use one pokemon for the entirety of the game. The other five are just placeholders so you can use a revive/full restore
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 02:26 PM   #14
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker

I just finished playing ruby for the third time. I haven't played any newer game because I don't have a Ds/3ds and emulating one on my phone is nah. Still fun though
Old 10-1-2016, 12:17 PM   #15
Wind0ze
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

I haven't really played the actual pokemon games in a long time, I just usually play Pokemon Showdown

Pretty hyped for SUMO tho
Wind0ze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-1-2016, 05:57 PM   #16
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Default pkmn

pokemon so easy to win only hard part is catchin em all
Travis_Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-1-2016, 06:22 PM   #17
Wind0ze
FFR Player
FFR Simfile Author

Default Re: pkmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_Flesher View Post
pokemon so easy to win only hard part is catchin em all
im pretty sure completing the pokedex has been basically impossible since Gen 3 and it gets even harder every gen
Wind0ze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 02:42 AM   #18
Son Paimon
FFR Player

Quote:
Something to keep in mind is that with this new release, there are a lot of changes that even players like me who've been playing since 1st generation will have to adjust to, like the Alola forms which have completely changed the types of some of the first generation Pokemon. How many for sure? Still not known but for a Pokemon like Sandslash who was a ground type for YEARS, will now be a Steel/Ice type.... We all have some learning to do. Pokemon was always had a four-move turn-based battle system. However, with the implementation of Z moves, there is a Potential 5th attack. There's also rumors that the Ultra Beasts found in Sun and Moon may not even be actual Pokemon but creatures? I'm sure that part is only rumor, but who knows.

Point is, a lot of us are going in blind to this new generation. Can't wait. Totally pumped.

*tap* *tap* *mistap* "F@$%!!!!!"

Highest AAA: Metropolis Zone (42)
Highest FC: Piano x Forte (66)
Highest SDG: Brooks Was Here (45)
Son Paimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 06:05 AM   #19
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX
Default Re: pkmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wind0ze View Post
im pretty sure completing the pokedex has been basically impossible since Gen 3 and it gets even harder every gen
Nah, it is possible, but the task is heavily time consuming. The thing is, since gen 4 it's been considerably easier to bring your pokedex to completion as the introduction of the GTS made *competent* mates not a requirement anymore. And Game Freak constantly worked to make getting new pokemon an accessible aspect of the game. You can even import your boxes from earlier versions with Pokébank.

I have a friend of mine that consistently pulls it off each generation, he's a crazy completionist for all type of games though
Old 10-13-2016, 01:10 PM   #20
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Pokemon Go serves as a pretty nice free introduction to at least gen 1 and type effectiveness. I wouldn't follow it too closely when it comes to combat/evolution if you plan on playing the main series stuff though since it's almost a complete departure.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote