Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2011, 03:05 AM   #1
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to EnR Send a message via MSN to EnR
Default Need help with deciding what to do for a living.

I've been graduated since June 2010 and had a few full time jobs since, but I never keep my jobs because I get bored of them quick.

So basically I want to enroll in college or university(even though I don't have enough university level credits, I'm sure I can make something work)

I've been considering being a mechanic (but more on the tuning side of things or work for one of the big European manufacturers: BMW, Mercedes and Audi) but my only issue is they make absolutely no money unless you work for the big European manufacturers. In Canada a mechanic can make from minimum wage to 35,000 a year, usually maximum of around 50,000 if you work a lot of hours. Then I've considered Automotive Engineering at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology which could make between 40,000-100,000. Basically I love cars, I love engineering.

I love math, science, computers, music and basically learning. But I'm having a hard time thinking of something to do for a living within my interests that makes a decent amount of money.

I want to know what some of you are doing with your lives, if you enjoy it, if it was worth it.

Edit: Don't say the whole "Money isn't everything, do something you love" crap. I don't plan on having kids or a mansion, but I do love my cars and do like to go out OFTEN.

Last edited by EnR; 08-25-2011 at 03:12 AM..
EnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:11 AM   #2
DarknessXoXLight
sonder
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to DarknessXoXLight
Default Re: Need help with deciding what to do for a living.

Become a robot engineer, it's the next frontier. I'd also suggest Forensics, then again that isn't engineering haha, just math and science y0. Good luck deciding what to do!

Edit: lul, missed the last sentence.
I'm currently studying Medical Science. I plan to become a surgeon. Fun but tough road ahead of me. Right now I'm an EMT-B so I work on an ambulance part time and that's always fun. I get bored very easily too and that's why I started where I did, because no day is the same and you always have to be on your toes ready to know what to do. I truly do enjoy it. I'm also the entertainment editor for my college paper, and that's really fun because writing is a passion of mine. I just never thought I could make a practical career of it. If I ever wanted to publish a book, I'd do it on my own time, not as a job, I don't think I have enough of a gambler in me for that. But yeah, you have to give it some thought. Just realize what you enjoy most and find a field where you can apply it. (I know you already did hehu~)

Last edited by DarknessXoXLight; 08-25-2011 at 03:17 AM..
DarknessXoXLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:14 AM   #3
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.

I really hate anything involving health, aha. I know forensics isn't that related to health but it's just not my thing.

Edit: Just did a little more research and Software Engineer and Video Game Developer are both added to my list of interesting choice. Does anyone have experience in these fields? I just love the laid back-ness of a VGD, from what I've read anyway. I also like and are used to being behind a computer for 10+ hours a day.

Last edited by EnR; 08-25-2011 at 03:27 AM..
EnR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:29 AM   #4
nois-or-e
SponCon Aficionado
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nois-or-e Send a message via MSN to nois-or-e Send a message via Skype™ to nois-or-e

Have you considered getting into the electrical field? Doing an apprenticeship and branching off into doing PLCs? (for those that don't know, PLCs are programmable Logic Controllers)

Very big money in the mining industry here for PLC programmers/electricians. $200k+/pa. And all you need is some maths/science knowledge, bit of physics won't hurt, and at least half a brain in your head. First year of pay will suck, but once you finish, the world is your oyster. Over here a 4th year apprentice will move on to getting $35/hr full time of upwards of $42/hr labour-hire as a basic electrician ;D

Can also easily branch off into engineering.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:42 AM   #5
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nois-or-e View Post
Have you considered getting into the electrical field? Doing an apprenticeship and branching off into doing PLCs? (for those that don't know, PLCs are programmable Logic Controllers)

Very big money in the mining industry here for PLC programmers/electricians. $200k+/pa. And all you need is some maths/science knowledge, bit of physics won't hurt, and at least half a brain in your head. First year of pay will suck, but once you finish, the world is your oyster. Over here a 4th year apprentice will move on to getting $35/hr full time of upwards of $42/hr labour-hire as a basic electrician ;D

Can also easily branch off into engineering.
I took physics in highschool, 12th grade and when the electric part of it came into play I couldn't understand anything. Electricity isn't my cup tea, although all my friends are getting into that field and where I live (Sudbury, Ontario) it's a massive mining town, so considering branching off into doing PLC's in the mining industry can make that much money intrigues me.
Old 08-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #6
MaxGhost
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MaxGhost

Wait, you're from Sudbury?
I'm in Garson, rofl.

Leaving for Carleton in a week and a half.
I'm taking CS, game design stream, and so far it's exactly what I want to do.
I've always hated this city, the mining community is just bleh to me, I was never interested in staying here.
MaxGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:04 PM   #7
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGhost View Post
Wait, you're from Sudbury?
I'm in Garson, rofl.

Leaving for Carleton in a week and a half.
I'm taking CS, game design stream, and so far it's exactly what I want to do.
I've always hated this city, the mining community is just bleh to me, I was never interested in staying here.
I actually live in Azilda, so I'm only 20ish minutes away. Sudbury is a 15 minute drive from here. But I just rented out a house in Chelmsford, so I'll be moving there tonight since we finally got internet.

I plan on moving down south in the future, most likely Markham/Vaughan/Oshawa, etc.
Old 08-25-2011, 02:06 PM   #8
DarknessXoXLight
sonder
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to DarknessXoXLight

Underwater Welding, GO! xD
Old 08-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #9
MrGiggles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrGiggles Send a message via MSN to MrGiggles

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnR View Post
I really hate anything involving health, aha. I know forensics isn't that related to health but it's just not my thing.

Edit: Just did a little more research and Software Engineer and Video Game Developer are both added to my list of interesting choice. Does anyone have experience in these fields? I just love the laid back-ness of a VGD, from what I've read anyway. I also like and are used to being behind a computer for 10+ hours a day.
Yea, I'm studying videogame design and dev at RIT. It's an awesome major, most of the professors are total bros, and the work is fascinating, but it's no soft option. You do a lot of programming and also 2D and 3D work in Flash and Maya. Even if you're garbage at art like me, most programs should grade you fairly if you put the effort in, and nearly everyone is as bad as I was haha.

Personally, I find the most interesting bits to be the psychology of games and play. How MMO's use skinner boxes to keep you hooked, how players tend to gravitate towards well-lit areas (L4D was masterful with this), and how to manipulate players into not losing their way through the world and getting frustrated. Great stuff.

Last edited by MrGiggles; 08-25-2011 at 02:46 PM..
MrGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #10
fido123
FFR Player

Before you consider programming learn how to do some basic programming first. If you're looking for jobs that involve computers taking a look at the IT field would also be a good idea IMO. A lot of IT jobs include:

EDIT: For some reason this board kills my indentation >:

> Server Administration
- Linux/UNIX
- Windows Server
- Novell
> Database Administration
Oracle
- MySQL/PostgreSQL
> Server-Side web scripting (programming for websites)
- ASPX
- PHP
- mod_perl
> Security
> Networking (Can pay ~$100/hr with the proper certifications)

There are quite a few more, and you can specialize even further in anything I mentioned above. You might want to google some of this stuff or you could always add me at mspalmer12@gmail.com if you want to talk about this kind of stuff, or the programming field. Personally I wanted to be a programmer but it's extremely competitive, far more stressful than IT (personally), and involves a wider range of well, what you'd be doing and what you can do. I live in Ontario too and have looked into a lot of colleges for both programming and IT. Both of these fields are good if you're a procedural, and logical person. On average you'd make probably around 75K a year on Ontario as a "Systems Administrator" but if you get your CCIE (networking certification), as stated above you can make ~$100/hr easily. Also with IT you don't NEED college or uni. If you get the certifications on your own you're set but I suggest going to college for IT. For programming I'd take Computer Science.

With regards to other things I suggest you look at the program lists for colleges, and if any interest you look into it and see what actual classes you'd take. Again feel free to contact me via MSN if you want to talk about programming/IT. I love talking about this nerdy shit.

Last edited by fido123; 08-25-2011 at 03:11 PM..
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:47 PM   #11
Patricoo
FFR Player

Be a lumberjack.
Old 08-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #12
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin

Quote:
Should I do it? [drop out of school]

I honestly don't see why school is usefull. I'm on the internet so much that I learn more on here than I do at school.

I've gotten to a point where I don't even do my work at school, I talk back to my teachers and I'm getting 50-60's on my tests. I've got the potential to have 90+ averages but I'm way to lazy and see it as a waste of time.

I have no idea what I want to do in life, possibly go into trades, like welding or something, but other than that, I have no clue.

I'd like to here from people who have already dropped out.

Btw, I plan on getting a fulltime job somewhere if I do drop out.
Hahaha. That was a good thread. Seems we're back at it again though.

Anyways, I studied astronautical engineering for the last 5 years. Just finished school in June with a B.S., but I don't have a job yet. Jobs I have applied for are primarily in the field of spacecraft layout and design, spacecraft integration/testing/logistics and a few jobs in the field of launch vehicle testing/integration/mechanics. It is very, very math heavy, i.e. multiple courses in calculus, differential equations and linear algebra and computer usage is also extremely high with lots of computer aided 3D design, MATLAB (programming) and Microsoft Excel or Minitab for data/statistical analysis. There is a bit of physics and some chemistry as well.

I'm not sure you have the right mind set for engineering judging from that post you made that I quoted; however, that was 3 years ago and it seems you've changed your tune. What you have going for you is that you enjoy the fundamentals of engineering (math, science, computers). I'll tell you what - you won't regret pursuing an engineering degree, but be prepared to work your ****ing ass off, dude. Straight up. When you finally begin a career as an engineer, you will make a lot of money. Base salary for me starts at $30/hr over here in America, but of course this is adjusted to my standard of living.

If you have the mind to actually return to university, I recommend you look at engineering. I loved every bit of my education and I can't wait to get out there and start making a difference. I can show you some examples of the things I have done over the last 5 years if you're curious.

Last edited by foilman8805; 08-25-2011 at 08:34 PM..
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 PM   #13
Emithith
FFR Player

Computer Engineering sounds like something you would like. Though I am not sure how much they make.
Emithith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 08:30 PM   #14
Evnoir
_(:3」∠)_
FFR Veteran

Wtf, my dad is an auto-mechanic and he makes roughly 70,000 annually o.0
Evnoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #15
nois-or-e
SponCon Aficionado
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to nois-or-e Send a message via MSN to nois-or-e Send a message via Skype™ to nois-or-e

Quote:
. . .so considering branching off into doing PLC's in the mining industry can make that much money intrigues me.
Not just in the mining industry, but in the general industrial electrical sector. Any food processing plants or most forms of assembly lines/plants etc etc all require people to program and install the PLCs.

A lot of contracting firms that work hand in hand with industrial developers will do all the electrical fittings/wiring/planning and go on to take care of the entire production side of things too. Every electrician I know is sitting on $35/hr or more and the work is better than a majority of trades out there due to the lack of back-breaking labour and such. Building switchboards can be quite fun.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:11 PM   #16
EnR
Massive flaming dildos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foilman8805 View Post
Hahaha. That was a good thread. Seems we're back at it again though.

Anyways, I studied astronautical engineering for the last 5 years. Just finished school in June with a B.S., but I don't have a job yet. Jobs I have applied for are primarily in the field of spacecraft layout and design, spacecraft integration/testing/logistics and a few jobs in the field of launch vehicle testing/integration/mechanics. It is very, very math heavy, i.e. multiple courses in calculus, differential equations and linear algebra and computer usage is also extremely high with lots of computer aided 3D design, MATLAB (programming) and Microsoft Excel or Minitab for data/statistical analysis. There is a bit of physics and some chemistry as well.

I'm not sure you have the right mind set for engineering judging from that post you made that I quoted; however, that was 3 years ago and it seems you've changed your tune. What you have going for you is that you enjoy the fundamentals of engineering (math, science, computers). I'll tell you what - you won't regret pursuing an engineering degree, but be prepared to work your ****ing ass off, dude. Straight up. When you finally begin a career as an engineer, you will make a lot of money. Base salary for me starts at $30/hr over here in America, but of course this is adjusted to my standard of living.

If you have the mind to actually return to university, I recommend you look at engineering. I loved every bit of my education and I can't wait to get out there and start making a difference. I can show you some examples of the things I have done over the last 5 years if you're curious.
Yeah, aha. I didn't even remember that. I've been out of school for over a year now and I regret not trying at all in highschool, even though I averaged a 70 without ever trying. I absolutely love learning and math and science are the funnest to learn. I look forward to actually testing myself and doing good in college, so I'm prepared for the hard work ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarknessXoXLight View Post
Underwater Welding, GO! xD
I have considered this since I have taken welding and my father's been a welder since he was a teenager, he makes roughly 80k a year being a welder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evnoir View Post
Wtf, my dad is an auto-mechanic and he makes roughly 70,000 annually o.0
Depends how long he's been doing it, 10+ years is around 50-100k, depending on who you work for or how many hours you put in.