Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk

Old 08-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #21
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Default Re: How do you explain ffr/sm to friends who literally never think about rhythm gamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeZe View Post
E: Don't show ffr to girls, they start hating you
Lol yeah probably cause we are all fukd and I bet everyone here's done something like saying how fast their fingers are or some shit to a girl l0l

"Just thing about how fast and accurate these fingers are"
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:28 PM   #22
PhantomPuppy
Washed and Irrelevant D7
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: How do you explain ffr/sm to friends who literally never think about rhythm gamin

yeah i just say dance dance revolution on the computer and people understand. how to keep people interested in SM/FFR is a different story. rhythm game hyped died down in the mid 2000's for a majority of people after guitar hero. the people still interested are people that have been in the community of rhythm games for years already, with a few exceptions here and there.

10th OT (D3): 13th
11th OT (D6): 11th
12th OT (D6): 6th
13th OT (D7): 31st
14th OT (D7): 25th
15th OT (D7): LAST PLACE
16th OT (D7): LAST PLACE LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
you know what they say

under all the rust is really shiny...……… metal
PhantomPuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:43 PM   #23
thesunfan
Role Tide
Sectional ModeratorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to thesunfan

"ddr with a keyboard"

your friends probably just aren't interested in rhythm games, mine sure aren't

I don't really think you're doing anything wrong, even if you followed hi19's (pretty good) advice, you still aren't that likely to get interested responses from friends, I think.
Did you get a chance to kill that deadbeat sonuvabitch boyfriend of danceguys', "sunfan"? i hate that fucker. he's a stupid head. i'm way smarter and funnier and prettier and richer and more sensitive than him, and like i can get drunk and still hold complex logical conversations n shit and i bet that fucker cant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
I'd suck a dick in a dark, dark alley.
Quote:
Originally Posted by star-crossed View Post
(Someone helpfully lectured us in postgame that we voted out the wrong inactive player with COVID on Day 1.)
thesunfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 12:53 PM   #24
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
I actively try to hide it
same

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:05 PM   #25
ItsOnlyDanO
Stuck in the past
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Most of my friends are quite understanding when it comes to the game, when I told them about it they seemed to get it pretty well (they know its a rhythm game that you play on your keyboard)

Random sidenote: I had to explain ffr to my doctor when i spoke to him about my arm and he grasped it surprisingly well
Old 08-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #26
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsOnlyDanO View Post
Random sidenote: I had to explain ffr to my doctor when i spoke to him about my arm and he grasped it surprisingly well
I wonder how many doctors know about FFR/stepmania/rhythm games, just based on people coming in for hand pain lol
Old 08-18-2016, 01:40 PM   #27
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
I'm saying that from the point of view of back when I could easily FC Etude for the Sinners lol

Just play whatever JS file is comfortable for you. VS Boss Battle is a good candidate, for example, though it doesn't have the nice intro that lets you explain the game.
Serenade, even with the nullifidian cockblast at the end it's a lovely progressive file.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:46 PM   #28
Dynam0
The Dominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
I wonder how many doctors know about FFR/stepmania/rhythm games, just based on people coming in for hand pain lol
Rhythm games shouldn't be any more stressful to the body than casual typing if done properly. Half of the reason people develop issues is due to repeatedly utilizing poor technique when typing/making hand motions. Other aggravating factors like hypothyroidism, arthritis, or diabetes etc. can increase the likelihood. You should keep your wrists below your fingers so that pressure on the median nerve is minimized.
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:48 PM   #29
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
Rhythm games shouldn't be any more stressful to the body than casual typing if done properly. Half of the reason people develop issues is due to repeatedly utilizing poor technique when typing/making hand motions. Other aggravating factors like hypothyroidism, arthritis, or diabetes etc. can increase the likelihood. You should keep your wrists below your fingers so that pressure on the median nerve is minimized.
I try to keep my wrists flat on the table, i feel like it gives more control than raising them, might be a bit slower but i dunno

Someone should make a guide on wrist position.. any tips? pls, for us lowbies
Old 08-18-2016, 01:53 PM   #30
Dynam0
The Dominator

Wrist-up technique can be advantageous in certain situations but from a medical perspective you should try to avoid doing it too much.
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 01:54 PM   #31
Trumpet63
Mostly Ignored
Skill Rating Designer
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Rhythm games just aren't that interesting to watch, especially without in-depth knowledge of them. They require our full attention to play them, so there's not a lot of commentary we can do. There's nothing universal to empathize with about an ability to press buttons quickly, and watching people practice can be like watching people lift weights to music, i.e. not very interesting.

I can't get people to watch more than one or two songs, but if I tell them about the difficulty system they sometimes ask questions. If I'm lucky, I can start to get more in depth and explain how accuracy is emphasized far more than just hitting the notes. Most often I get people that ask how I can possibly hit all the notes when they can't even see them, and I explain how cool it is that you start to just see the patterns and the motions become automatic. Sometimes they ask how many times I've played the song I show them, typically a lot, but then I point out that sight reading is its own thing, and that the music plays a big role in allowing you to predict what comes next.
2014 October 7th 1:03 AM

Zageron: Trumpet
Trumpet63: yes, im here
Zageron: You have a problem.
Trumpet63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:10 PM   #32
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

I don't really agree, I think rhythm games leave alot of room for chat interaction, especially between songs (lets say a live stream)...

The concept of improving and progression is pretty universal and most people can understand it, tbh
Old 08-18-2016, 02:22 PM   #33
Staiain
Can't handle my ÆØÅ
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Staiain Send a message via MSN to Staiain Send a message via Skype™ to Staiain

I say I press buttons fast to arrows on the screen
Staiain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:27 PM   #34
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

"Wanna hear some unique buzz-y music?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:45 PM   #35
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!

"I'll show you the true meaning of JAPAN STYLE BREAKCORE"

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 02:49 PM   #36
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
"I'll show you the true meaning of JAPAN STYLE BREAKCORE"
"Yo i just got a file into this game lemme show you it"

Quote:
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:12 PM   #37
Shadowcliff
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

TL;DR HAHAHAHA

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonid View Post
I actively try to hide it
Rofl I try to do this but my roommates became curious about the furious tapping coming from my room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
If you want to be entertaining, you have to explain how the game works as you play.

The other obvious suggestion is to get good so that you can keep your combo.

Also finally you have to not act & sound like a neckbearded ****** when you play. Even if you spend 9 hours a day every day playing arrow games and are super proud of how high the skillcap is in this game, try to curb your desire to talk about that and instead let people as you questions about the music and the community and stuff. That makes it more accessible.
These are all great suggestions.

Quote:
If only because as a spectator, SM/Osumania/FFR/MusicGameHere is just not interesting to watch as it is to perform.
This seems to be the bottomline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IILUCKEYII View Post
I usually get better responses out of people if I emphasize how hard something is.
In my experience this has worked to gain some vested interest, until I kill it by setting the bar too high the first time I show them a song. It goes from "Oh, I could get into this" to "This rabbit hole goes too deep"

ie:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjaSM View Post
"It's a hole that you probably can't get out of"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Serenade, even with the nullifidian cockblast at the end it's a lovely progressive file.
I broke combo at the end but the nps slide makes for a good demonstration!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
Wrist-up technique can be advantageous in certain situations but from a medical perspective you should try to avoid doing it too much.
In which situations would it be useful to have wrists up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpet63 View Post
Watching people practice can be like watching people lift weights to music, i.e. not very interesting.

Most often I get people that ask how I can possibly hit all the notes when they can't even see them, and I explain how cool it is that you start to just see the patterns and the motions become automatic.
I really like your description of this game. A couple of my roommates have picked up on what it takes to train your skill in this game and are most impressed by the muscle memory. I was talking to another friend who likes rhythm games (He plays Hatsune Miku games on psvita) who also has known for a long time that I play FFR. I showed him a couple of tournament D3 songs and was describing some different patterns and he says, "Ian, what you see as a distinct pattern there just looks like another cluster of arrows to me." *shrug*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
I don't really agree, I think rhythm games leave alot of room for chat interaction, especially between songs (lets say a live stream)...

The concept of improving and progression is pretty universal and most people can understand it, tbh
Yeah! When I started playing again last year, I would get drunk and stream for my friends back in my old home state. They stopped in to just chat and hang out while I trained. I explained things if they asked, but most of the time we just went on with our regular banter and sometimes they gave me shit for not getting everything perfect. Which was totally welcomed and lots of fun. I think I've had maximum 4 friends at once watching me stream.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoshL View Post
"Yo i just got a file into this game lemme show you it"
That's the spirit!!! I have a small few unfinished stepfiles.. Maybe I should bring them out of the cave and start getting feedback.

Last edited by Shadowcliff; 08-18-2016 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Shadowcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:17 PM   #38
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Its like masturbating while listening to music so you try to stroke it to the beat
Old 08-18-2016, 04:27 PM   #39
Shadowcliff
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
Its like masturbating while listening to music so you try to stroke it to the beat
*masturbating to classical music*
Shadowcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 04:31 PM   #40
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowcliff View Post
In which situations would it be useful to have wrists up?
Advantageous for very jacky songs like AIM Anthem

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote