Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Other Music Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Will DDR Machines in arcades be able to survive global technological advancements?
Yes. There's no doubt. 8 29.63%
No. There's no hope. They will be extinct sooner or later. 3 11.11%
Maybe. It could go both ways. Could be determined by country trend 13 48.15%
I have no idea. Too much has changed. There's no way to tell. 3 11.11%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-25-2016, 01:38 AM   #1
The-DDR-Philosopher
FFR Player

Default Are DDR machines on the verge of extinction?!?

Dance Dance Revolution were highly popularized in arcades everywhere in early 2000. Now the year is 2016, and they are much harder to find.

I have seen the shift and decline of classic arcades in Dallas, Texas in the past decade. Since arcades are becoming increasingly scarce, DDR machines have decreased as well.

I visited Mexico (city of Monterrey) last year, and to my suprise, they have more DDR machines in their arcades then Dallas.
Mexico even seems like their DDR players are more involved in the arcade style platform then us.

Is it Dallas, Texas or is this a statewide occurence in America?
Are DDR machines in danger of becoming extinct to the public?
Is it just USA or does the world have plenty of other toys now to occupy us from DDR?
The-DDR-Philosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:53 AM   #2
Tyson ultima
Autismspeaks.gov
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tyson ultima Send a message via Yahoo to Tyson ultima Send a message via Skype™ to Tyson ultima
Default Re: Are DDR machines on the verge of extinction?!?

Uhh DDR machines are actually getting MORE popular because they are at select dave and busters and round 1 locations which continuously expand.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:00 AM   #3
The-DDR-Philosopher
FFR Player

I noticed you live in NJ so i'm guessing thats a good sign of a comeback but doesn't indicate it is a nationwide comeback.
We have a few Dave and Busters down here in Dallas but I havent been to one in years to know if they're still present.
Never heard of round 1, sounds like a NJ thing.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:03 AM   #4
Tyson ultima
Autismspeaks.gov
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tyson ultima Send a message via Yahoo to Tyson ultima Send a message via Skype™ to Tyson ultima

Round 1 is a Japanese arcade/amusement company that expanded from Japan to the US and is slowly establishing its stores within malls in the US. Each round 1 is equipped with at least a couple DDR A machines. Dave and Buster's have DDR in again select locations and are choosing to expand their machines to their new stores being built.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:11 AM   #5
The-DDR-Philosopher
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson ultima View Post
Round 1 is a Japanese arcade/amusement company that expanded from Japan to the US and is slowly establishing its stores within malls in the US. Each round 1 is equipped with at least a couple DDR A machines. Dave and Buster's have DDR in again select locations and are choosing to expand their machines to their new stores being built.
Could you elaborate on the term "DDR A machines"? I've only seen DDR extreme and DDR Supernovas in my area. Is this a newly released edition?

Glad to hear arcades are gradually growing in the states.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:14 AM   #6
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Yeah, DDR A was just released and they now provide e-Amusement access internationally too.
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:20 AM   #7
The-DDR-Philosopher
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arntonach View Post
Yeah, DDR A was just released and they now provide e-Amusement access internationally too.
Man Dallas is slacking.... I think that there is a void in demanding players down here.
Are their new songs on here as well and/or is this a collective version of DDR like extreme with multiple series on it?
Old 09-25-2016, 03:07 AM   #8
Arntonach
Owlbears Rock!

Oh, there's a shittonne of new songs and crossovers; ever since beatnation records had their "new generation" of artists, things have gone into overdrive. Now there's a lot of vocaloid and touhou songs in bemani games, DDR included, with new artists like OSTER project, Redalice and RoughSketch making music for the series, it's pretty damn amazing.
Arntonach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 04:36 AM   #9
The-DDR-Philosopher
FFR Player

It's a shame I had no knowledge of this till now, thanks for the stats.
I've been out the loop for too long. Im hoping one of them will pop up around my area.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:06 AM   #10
devonin
Very Grave Indeed
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

The decline of DDR machines around me has nothing to do with people finding other ways to amuse themselves, and everything to do with the places that have them not being willing to put money into properly maintaining them.

The last place I found a DDR machine, only the left pad even worked, and the start button was half broken and got stuck when you pushed it, so half the time you ended up not being able to change any options, or suddenly picking a song you didn't want when you were scrolling through.

Places around here stop having them if they break bad enough to need serious repairs.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:08 AM   #11
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to MooMoo_Cowfreak

Don't discount Pump it Up machines, I mean I know it's not what you're looking for specifically but that game is fun as hell too

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis
MooMoo_Cowfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:29 AM   #12
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Just wonderin boys - has there ever been a 4key arcade game? Like I'm talkin some beatmania tier stuff with 4 keys instead of 8 or 5 or 7 or w/e, just some good old fashioned 4k arrow tapping skill in the arcade

Or are we forever destined to play alone in our basements Imagine going to the arcade with an arcade machine with stepmania + a nice keyboard on it l0l
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 11:44 AM   #13
The-DDR-Philosopher
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by devonin View Post
The decline of DDR machines around me has nothing to do with people finding other ways to amuse themselves, and everything to do with the places that have them not being willing to put money into properly maintaining them.

The last place I found a DDR machine, only the left pad even worked, and the start button was half broken and got stuck when you pushed it, so half the time you ended up not being able to change any options, or suddenly picking a song you didn't want when you were scrolling through.

Places around here stop having them if they break bad enough to need serious repairs.
Yea very true, I didnt take that into consideration.
That is the problem we are having over here. Not enough people know how to play it so the demand to fix them aren't there. I know of a machine that has a pad with two broken arrows.

They are poorly managed. The majority of DDR machines that make money right now are kids who throw money in it without knowing how to play it then they walk away from it because they are confused on how to play it correctly. I recieve free games all the time.

MooMoo: Pump it up, isn't that the game with 5 arrows that have them in all opposite directions compared to DDR? Like 4 diagonal arrows and a center button? I havent seen one of those in atleast 5 years. They actually have some fun songs and I began to become fond of it. It has similiar mechanics as DDR. I actually became fairly decent at it.

Dingleberry: That would defeat the purpose of it being called "Dance Dance Revolution", theres no "dancing" involved when your strictly using your fingers.
Old 09-25-2016, 12:21 PM   #14
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-DDR-Philosopher View Post
MooMoo: Pump it up, isn't that the game with 5 arrows that have them in all opposite directions compared to DDR? Like 4 diagonal arrows and a center button? I havent seen one of those in atleast 5 years. They actually have some fun songs and I began to become fond of it. It has similiar mechanics as DDR. I actually became fairly decent at it.
That's the one! It's quite popular in Mexico and I'm right off the border so I've got a decent number of machines nearby, but I'm not too sure about Dallas.

post-dumps abstractly represent the existential nihilism that the song invokes in the listener with negative space, evoking the ephemeral nature of the mind - the journey of stepmania begins in hope yet soon becomes corroded into a dialectic of futility, leaving only a sense of dread and the unlikelihood of a new synthesis
Old 09-25-2016, 01:11 PM   #15
The-DDR-Philosopher
FFR Player

When I visited Mexico I didnt see any but thats good to know they're still floating around.
What area of the border are you referring to?I might have to go check them out on my way to Mexico. And do you know what cities in Mexico have them?
Are these new editions or are they the ones that been around for awhile? I can't even remember the name of the songs or I would reference them.
Old 09-25-2016, 01:17 PM   #16
MooMoo_Cowfreak
Abraxas Hydroplane
FFR Veteran

The Dave and Buster's in El Paso has one

It's the latest edition, but PiU Prime has all the old songs too. Some of the songs you may remember would be Beethoven Virus, Canon D, just all the classics by Banya, some of which got stepped in SM and such too

Old 09-25-2016, 01:44 PM   #17
Kawaii025
Fake D4
FFR Veteran

I can only speak for my area, Nashville, TN, and the game is pretty popular here. I know of players who live in Kentucky, Indiana, & North Alabama who travel here on a regular basis to play DDR.
It kinda surprises me that Dallas doesn't have a DDR A cabinet nearby.
Highest Blackflag: Survive (60)
Highest FC: Challenge the final mission! (68)
Highest SDG: The Fusion (63)
Otaku Speedvibe [Heavy] unlocked 03/04/15 - On The Origin of Species (Evolution) (50)

Highest AAA:Case Closed (58)
Highest Blackflag: Survive (58)
Highest Booflag: Fill Me Up With Snacky Happiness & Suit Up (55)
Highest FC: Challenge the final mission! (72)
Highest SDG: The Fusion (67)
Kawaii025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #18
Gundam-Dude
`~`
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
Just wonderin boys - has there ever been a 4key arcade game? Like I'm talkin some beatmania tier stuff with 4 keys instead of 8 or 5 or 7 or w/e, just some good old fashioned 4k arrow tapping skill in the arcade
sound voltex, just with the added fx keys and knobs

(Download My Magnum Opus, Solo Kpop Pack!)

My Simfiles (4key & 6key)
Gundam-Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 03:14 PM   #19
The-DDR-Philosopher
FFR Player

MooMoo: ahh ok sweet. Those names brought back good memories. Those are definitely the names of the best songs I became fond of.
I will try scower a dave and busters in the area and I might have some luck then.

Kawaii: DDR has had a major decrease in popularity in Texas. Ten years ago their were arcades everywhere with atleast two in them. Since arcades are losing ground, their isn't too many places to put them. I know of two in my area but theyre hardly played.
DDR A cabinet? Is that a club or group of some sort?
Old 09-25-2016, 04:19 PM   #20
Red Blaster
Bridge Burner
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post

Or are we forever destined to play alone in our basements Imagine going to the arcade with an arcade machine with stepmania + a nice keyboard on it l0l
A few years back I made this crude design for a dedicated rhythm gaming tabletop mini cabinet, if I can dig it up I'll post it, but essentially it was something like this

minus the joystick and buttons - which would obviously be replaced by the persons keyboard of choice or some sort of switches depending on preference.

I just personally never felt it was worth the hassle because of the cost involved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
hey great contribution to the thread cucklord the exit's up in the top right of your screen, it's called "log out"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
what's a milky christmas :O
Red Blaster is offline   Reply With Quote