Old 10-9-2009, 01:41 PM   #1
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere
Default pdf.pdf What is this?

Occasionally while browsing around flashflashrevolution.com I'll get a popup which essentially has

You have chosen to open

pdf.pdf
which is a: PDF document

Open with
Save to Disk

Cancel OK

So I click cancel. Site administrators, you may want to check out that someone (an advertiser, a member, etc...) isn't trying to infect peoples' machines with a fake PDF file by forcing it to open like that. I believe if you had the PDF plugin for the browser installed and were using Windows, it would have automatically opened in that, and infected a computer with that setup, if this is a virus file and not an actual pdf file, that is.

There is no reason I or anyone else should be receiving requests from flashflashrevolution.com to load or open pdf files.

I have no other programs except my browser open and have no other sites (tabs, extra windows, etc..) open except the one for flashflashrevolution, and my computer is not infected with anything (using Linux). I do know there was a semi-recent PDF vulnerability, like within the last year or so, which is what I suspect this may be trying to hit.

Anyway, please do check it out if possible because you don't want to be infecting users with drive-by stuff like that.

Thanks.
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-9-2009, 01:45 PM   #2
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973
Default Re: pdf.pdf What is this?

yeah that happens a lot and sometimes you'll get redirected to spyware. get yourself a subscription or use some sort of anti spyware tool
Old 10-9-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

But that's very bad though. The site should be careful not to use malicious redirects like that, especially since it depends on the advertisements for some of its hosting money. I'm not going to get hit with anything with my setup, but other people can, and if it can be proved an infection came through flashflashrevolution, this could open up the site owners to lawsuits. At the very least it would discourage people from using the site.

Purchasing subscriber status should be for the perks or to support the site and such. It shouldn't be to avoid malware you can otherwise get just from using the site due to malicious injections in some of the advertisements or such.

Admin needs to be aware of this and similar issues and needs to address it. If nothing else, they need to have good talks with some of their ad server providers to see what is going on/etc...

This is a good game and a good site and it doesn't need to be infested, period.
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-9-2009, 01:59 PM   #4
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

the thing is that the admins are aware of whats going on. there have been multiple threads made and even screenshots posted to show that it was actually happening but nothing ever got done. it also saddens me that nothing is being done about it but there isnt anything we can do
Old 10-10-2009, 03:32 PM   #5
foilman8805
smoke wheat hail satin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

This is the kind of **** that drives people to get things like AdBlock Plus, which inevitably will ruin the revenue this site makes through ads, and consequently shut down the site from lack of funds.

Synthlight and various administration have pleaded with people to not kill their primary source of revenue (ads) by using scripts like AdBlock, but with no administration around to fix the malicious redirects, what choice do I have to protect my computer? This problem could be so easily rectified, but with no one around to do it, I've chosen to take matters into my own hands.

I recommend you take the same course of action OP, if you're using FireFox, that is. I'm sure there are alternatives if you happen to use another browser. Until an administrator figures out this adtastrophe, it's the best option for you.
foilman8805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
fido123
FFR Player

Get the NoScript add on for Firefox.

Also a question of my own. I'm running Debian Linux and I don't get ANY ads of any kind with no add ons on my firefox. Why @_@?
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Kibblre
Caelondia Represent
FFR Veteran

I have a modified HOSTS file that stops almost all ads from showing up. I don't need an add-on for FF, because I have that xD.

Yea, but what WC said is pretty much the whole story.