Old 05-3-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Default Morals

This is somewhat of a rant/discussion thread that I am genuinely curious how you all feel about. It comes down to peoples morals in respect to faith, loyalty, and kindness.

Those three fall into the "love" type of relationships that I'm curious on your thoughts about. It seems like to me that as the days become more modern, people are letting their minds stray from faith and loyalty from those they love. I personally feel I'm part of a dying breed of traditional folks.

Lately I'm encountering more and more people, namely my close friends, friends of friends and several relatives including immediate family who just don't care about their relationships anymore. It disgusts me. I understand that the social media we have at our disposal makes this an easy feat to be able to cheat on someone under the radar but what REALLY irks me is how proud both men and women are getting about the act. What put me in this state of discontent is my two closest friends who live with me are both dating girls and they excitedly tell me how they banged this random chick at the bar or at someone's house, etc etc. I'm disgusted to see that the friends I hold closest to me are this vile.

I know their girlfriends very well and they are great girls, girls I'd be overwhelmed to have as my own. But they are just proud when they get the opportunity to cheat on them. It blows me away. But it's not sequestered to them alone. A few members of my family, and several friends around me are succumbing to this trend. Sadly, and I am NOT trying to sound sexist, but, I am seeing this happen moreso in the girls I've seen and met as opposed to all the guys I've known and met. It really bothers me when I hear songs that praise the act of infidelity. It's absolutely atrocious. Maybe I'm overreacting but answer me this. When did faith in a relationship become second to someone's pride?

As a guy who's been cheated on(whilst in very stable relationships as far as I knew) by 3 different girls, I feel the need to vent about this swiftly growing problem. I've never cheated on the ones I'm with, I will admit I almost fell prey to the act once in my life and after 3.5 years I still feel the guilt about it. But I will never cheat on the ones I'm with and want to know there are those out there like me who believe in traditional values like I.

What's your guys feelings on this topic? Do you see the trend growing yourself? Do you get proud when you cheat on your gf/bf?

Phynx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2013, 12:20 AM   #2
04im
FFR Player

Default Re: Morals

people come and go in life

i don't think it's a new trend at all.. if anything it's become easier to find out if people have been cheating on you because of social media (evidence on the computer, phone, portable devices and whatnot..)

so i think it's just a part of finding that special someone that you will stay with for the rest of your life - the only difference is how many people do you go through (depending on how active of a social life you've lead in the past)

in the end, both men and women cheat & proactively search for partners (whether it be temporary or for the rest of your life) - social media has made this easier but social media has also made it easier to quickly figure out if your partner has been cheating on you

keep searchin' man
Old 05-3-2013, 12:27 AM   #3
drizzleRomanceGirl
rain of memories...
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to drizzleRomanceGirl

I also find it horrible that people will cheat on their partner. However, I personally have never dated anyone in my life yet, so I can't state my personal experiences with dating. Unfortunately, I do notice how much people near me think it's okay to damage their relationships without a second thought. I'm not entirely sure whether this phenomenon has occurred increasingly in recent times, but with all the media I've seen about divorce and taking relationships with a grain of salt, it does seem likely that people are taking this to heart. I hope more people realize how important relationships are and learn to hold them in much higher regard.

Last edited by drizzleRomanceGirl; 05-3-2013 at 12:38 AM..
drizzleRomanceGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2013, 12:40 AM   #4
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Okay, so my current gf is away for 6 months(in the army, going through Basic at this point) and I have complete faith in her to stay a straight course for us and not play around with guys there. Of course it still worries me but I won't stray from my foundations. What's also bothering me is my brother who isn't too fond of her and my friends that live with me, who don't mind her, have been telling me and urging me to just go out and date/fuck other girls. I've explained in vigorous detail to the point of severe irritation that, that very notion rattles me to the core. Yet they persist on getting me to just go out and cheat on her and ending it because they think I can do better. I'm about to lose my best friends and I've already exploded on my brother about the topic......

Infidelity is one topic I absolutely go off my rocker over. I'm losing faith in people the more I see it happen.

Old 05-3-2013, 12:47 AM   #5
JohnRedWolf87
Backlogger of Hobbies
FFR Veteran

I think your perception of people has more to do with your environment. Although you can't help how your family is, you might want to find you some new/better friends.

xBBx Takedown's First Tournament - 2nd Place (Beginner)
ZC_Wolfy's Birthday Tournament - 3rd Place (Novice)
Dragons_Fury One Division Higher Tourney - 2nd Place (Novice)
Samurai7694's Ultimate Enduring Fabulous Tournament - 3rd Place (D1)
Dark_Chrysalis' 1st FFR Bowl - 2nd Place (D1), 13th place overall
Panic4Me and MrMagic's Thanksgiving Tournament - 2nd Place (D1)
JohnRedWolf87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2013, 12:51 AM   #6
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
I think your perception of people has more to do with your environment. Although you can't help how your family is, you might want to find you some new/better friends.
It breaks my heart cause these are folks I grew up with, and truly thought were morally upstanding people. Only recently in the last couple weeks did they show me their pride for very immoral actions. Bleh.

Old 05-3-2013, 12:56 AM   #7
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Mollocephalus

Being faithful to your significant other has nothing to do with traditions. It's a way to keep your couple united. If traditions taught us anything is that facade bigotry only hides private perversion. As anaru said people used to cheat about the same if not more... Basically your only fault in this would be a failure to grasp your friends' and/or significant other's personality- therefore depicting them in your head as better/stronger people than they really are.

Just remember one thing: cheating is a natural behavior, loyality is a social construct. One has to feel very strongly about it to make it work, and still sometimes fall for it in certain special occasions. However if the couple is strong it can go through even a base-shaking event such as a momentary failure...
Old 05-3-2013, 01:02 AM   #8
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollocephalus View Post
Being faithful to your significant other has nothing to do with traditions. It's a way to keep your couple united. If traditions taught us anything is that facade bigotry only hides private perversion. As anaru said people used to cheat about the same if not more... Basically your only fault in this would be a failure to grasp your friends' and/or significant other's personality- therefore depicting them in your head as better/stronger people than they really are.

Just remember one thing: cheating is a natural behavior, loyality is a social construct. One has to feel very strongly about it to make it work, and still sometimes fall for it in certain special occasions. However if the couple is strong it can go through even a base-shaking event such as a momentary failure...
Makes sense and very understandable. But one fact remains, why submit to pride when doing such things? Why do I see people smiling, laughing, and having a jolly time talking about and portraying their acts of infidelity?

EDIT: As for the "traditional" aspect. I mean that in a subjective manner. As in I was raised in the tradition that faith in your relationships comes above all other necessities to your partner. If you maintain faith, you maintain trust and love.

Old 05-3-2013, 01:06 AM   #9
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Welcome to real life. Money governs you. You're this country's property. You're a human being product known as a consumer. A consumer makes money to consume products which includes other human beings. You can buy a gf/bf, do everything you want and eventually buy a better one if you're not satisfied or if it rebels against you because of your poor decisions. As religion is slowly losing it's value, morals are going down as well and unless something who supports moral values come back and make people realize what they're doing is not right. People will just keep trading bed partners in hope to generate profit in any possible way as fidelity, loyalty and kindness no longer has the same value as it used to.
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2013, 01:10 AM   #10
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

I disagree that cheating is a natural behaviour. I would argue that seeking personal emotional equilibrium is a natural behaviour, and that cheating is sometimes done in order to do such a thing, if you are with a partner that does not satisfy a certain emotional requirement.

I think cheating has to do with just being with someone for reasons you aren't totally aligned with mutually. If there's more lust than emotional attachment, those sorts of things. Greed also plays a role when you are wanting to satisfy the most potentially gratifying fetish of yours, or something to that extend. I'm sure its sexually driven, but not because you WANT to cheat per se. It's that you're more impulsive with your sexuality, and have less control pursuing what feels right.

You might feel like you know certain people on an emotionally close level that other people do not feel. These girls might be with people that they were driven to date because of visually stunning features that made it easy to overlook some of the less favorable social or personal traits. It's a painful, but ultimately wise experience for them to go through, realizing that they musn't have naivety when it comes to letting yourself love someone. That also goes down with choosing who to emotionally trust, who to let be a totally natural output for your feelings. If you're with someone who toys with you, who is not respectful of the feelings you express to them, you're in the wrong spot.

Hopefully they only have to encounter something as terrible as that once, it's unfortunate that it happened to them. I hope that the men can be more self aware of their greedily driven impulses or whatever it be. I try to have empathy for the people I meet and build friendships/relationships with. I wouldn't want to hurt them as I can vividly imagine the impact the same thing would have on me. The men in these situations are jerks, and chicks like them sometimes. Sucks but I guess that's how it goes.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2013, 01:12 AM   #11
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phynx View Post
Makes sense and very understandable. But one fact remains, why submit to pride when doing such things? Why do I see people smiling, laughing, and having a jolly time talking about and portraying their acts of infidelity?
Sometimes it's a rush to these people, a chance to express the idea that they are in control, they can do what they want, and are free to do so. They lack any empathy to their partner and are clearly trying to fake their way into using partners for whatever they like, quite like a sociopath. There are a lot of those out there, and they lack a true warm heart until something comes back to them personally and interrupts whatever emotions they do fuel themselves off of.

Old 05-3-2013, 01:15 AM   #12
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
Welcome to real life. Money governs you. You're this country's property. You're a human being product known as a consumer. A consumer makes money to consume products which includes other human beings. You can buy a gf/bf, do everything you want and eventually buy a better one if you're not satisfied or if it rebels against you because of your poor decisions. As religion is slowly losing it's value, morals are going down as well and unless something who supports moral values come back and make people realize what they're doing is not right. People will just keep trading bed partners in hope to generate profit in any possible way as fidelity, loyalty and kindness no longer has the same value as it used to.
At first my mindtrack looked like this:

||
||
||
||

but then your post made it do this

_.-^^---....,,--
_-- --_
< >) | |
\._ _./
```--. . , ; .--''' | | | .-=|| | |=-.
`-=#$%&%$#=-' | ;
_____.,-#%&$@%#&#~,._____

but after concentrating on your metaphors, I came back to my:

||
||
||

one track mind.

You do make sense though, be it through a rather obfuscated way. I just wish I could see more upstanding people than what I see every day. About the only ones I know are good to the core are the elderly men and women who've been married to their high school sweethearts for 50+ years... and my own parents. Honestly I haven't, to my immediate memory, experienced a couple younger than 35 who haven't strayed from good morals.

Last edited by Phynx; 05-3-2013 at 01:17 AM..
Old 05-3-2013, 01:18 AM   #13
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

Quote:
why submit to pride when doing such things? Why do I see people smiling, laughing, and having a jolly time talking about and portraying their acts of infidelity?
Starting from the fact these people are probably deeply insecure, otherwise they wouldn't need anything of the sort, this kind of behaviour is more about being able to conquer, Some people need to be reassured about themselves in this way. Just like many young people smoke because it's a bad "forbidden" thing. Human logic, man. Sadly, when something is perceived as taboo it becomes exponentially more intriguing... if you're too dense to see it for what it really is.

Quote:
I was raised in the tradition that faith in your relationships comes above all other necessities to your partner. If you maintain faith, you maintain trust and love.
Faith in a relationship is a good starting point, but not everything. SO your relationship can fail even if it's lacking on some other things.

Also, do remember that alternative social structures exist and/or have existed. Think for example of a social group of 10 people, mixed men and women. In this group sexuality and reproduction is promiscuous and they all agree with it. When a woman gives birth to a baby, they all raise as if it was their own. A baby has multiple mothers and fathers as role models. the concept of faith has been dismantled for a broader conception of family. As absurd as it may sound, this is an alternative. Not for everyone, i suppose, but it is. Another example, far less extreme, is to have a couple and agree for a three-way with another person. Or have an open couple and both agree with sexual freedom.
Old 05-3-2013, 01:19 AM   #14
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Your discomfort and empathy towards the women and the way you're upset from it is also inhibiting yourself from allowing full understanding as to why they might do what they do, I think. I try to imagine it as finding a way to justify a terrible crime-- to a judge trying to do that, there's not a lot that can support that. So in this state of mind you might just be needing to express your distaste of what's gone on. Understanding can only be experienced when you are in neutrality of your own emotions towards the situation and just putting yourself in their shoes entirely.

It takes discipline to stop you from making a bias of your imaginations in any way-- but it can be done, to put yourself in their shoes. Having a mind that is blank canvas is usually the only way unless you have personal experience/can pull out a strong metaphor for understanding what it's like.

I could just be rambling, but I just feel its a way to get a stronger grasp of their state of mind. I'm not saying to at all let yourself rationalize it-- this is just so you can get a stronger idea of how wrong they are in what they do :P

Old 05-3-2013, 01:22 AM   #15
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Quote:
Starting from the fact these people are probably deeply insecure, otherwise they wouldn't need anything of the sort, this kind of behaviour is more about being able to conquer, Some people need to be reassured about themselves in this way. Just like many young people smoke because it's a bad "forbidden" thing. Human logic, man. Sadly, when something is perceived as taboo it becomes exponentially more intriguing... if you're too dense to see it for what it really is.
I think this is a cultural mentality and if it wasn't supported in society EVERYWHERE it would be a lot easier to look past. It seems we're too tightly drawn to irrational responses towards these things. The rush of being edgy and against the current gives them a self status that's above any other state they could be in. Full time douchebags and guidos can be shaped with that in the backs of their minds ~

Quote:
Also, do remember that alternative social structures exist and/or have existed. Think for example of a social group of 10 people, mixed men and women. In this group sexuality and reproduction is promiscuous and they all agree with it. When a woman gives birth to a baby, they all raise as if it was their own. A baby has multiple mothers and fathers as role models. the concept of faith has been dismantled for a broader conception of family. As absurd as it may sound, this is an alternative. Not for everyone, i suppose, but it is. Another example, far less extreme, is to have a couple and agree for a three-way with another person. Or have an open couple and both agree with sexual freedom.
Sure, but then I think you're just putting them in a situation that feels like an adoption/foster parents type situation where they have nothing set in stone. There's no focus to their emotional bonding and no archetypal guardian figure in their life, so they might feel depressed or something negative as a result of this, or feel like it's okay to continue that system of commitment, and just have dozens of partners as they come and go.

Last edited by Spenner; 05-3-2013 at 01:25 AM..
Old 05-3-2013, 01:30 AM   #16
Phynx
I'm Forever
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Sadly, you're right. But God forbid I be alive the day the world accepts infidelity as a fully acceptable nature of society. I'd implode...

Quote:
Faith in a relationship is a good starting point, but not everything. SO your relationship can fail even if it's lacking on some other things.

Right, it's not everything. To me, faith is #1 but there are key structures nearly as important that obviously need attention in order to maintain a good relationship. I recognize those and do what I can to satisfy all facets. I do like your examples though, they are really insightful and sound. They are shedding light on the unjustifiable actions. I guess for myself, it's a personal struggle because it's the people I grew up with and thought so highly of them and this problem is really crashing my world view of them. It's just so disheartening.

EDIT: and Spenners arguments are just as valid as far as I understand. I feel infidelity, its roots, its place in society, and its reasons for existing are becoming too commonplace and I'm trying to understand why as a whole.

Last edited by Phynx; 05-3-2013 at 01:33 AM..
Old 05-3-2013, 02:03 AM   #17
Mollocephalus
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

If you look back at human history, like millions of years back, can you tell me what is the natural behaviour? fidelity or cheating partners? or a mix of both?

I'm not trying to justify it, but even from a natural standpoint i feel like we are inclined to seek new partners, and faith is a social construct we created to be able to take care of out family better.
Old 05-3-2013, 02:24 AM   #18
PriestREA
ddkdkd
D8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

As someone who has been cheated on before...

Those who cheat are not necessarily bitter people. My ex was targeted as a young girl bereft - which may be true, as Haku's economic metaphors have stated. I was somewhat bitter towards her at first, but I did realize that things like this happen and I'm not the first and most certainly not the last to be cheated on. Defending her afterwards was to the chagrin of my peers, but I understood that nobody deserved to be attacked for something that I now see as trivial. Most people are lacking excitement in a relationship or believe that the idea of a loyal and faithful relationship is too traditional and old fashioned; that people should be allowed to explore different avenues and personalities throughout their relationships. Most people that cheat - at least the cases I've dealt with (helping friends, my own experience) resulted from some kind of shocking thought or idea. Whether this idea is true or not, it drives people into a world of extemporaneous decisions. There are a select few that may just grow weary of a current relationship; those who believe they are now better than you and cheat/move on for the sake of their current social standing. I know a couple of girls that stray away from relationships and stick to one night stands solely because of their insatiable sex drive. Although I believe one night stands to be crude and stupid, some people choose to do that to prevent being "that person who cheated" on someone else.

I do believe that someone should be loyal in a relationship, yet one should not hang their head in the event they get cheated on. It is a dark road, but things happen for a reason, and as far as I'm concerned, the sooner they cheat, the better - it lessens the heartbreak just by a little. Do not let your friends tell you to go and play around with others, loyalty and honesty are the best polices (cliché, I know, but well warranted), and I would hold them in high regard to ensure a stable and healthy relationship. All the best.

Last edited by PriestREA; 05-3-2013 at 02:32 AM..
PriestREA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

I agree with moll, generally, except for the strength at which people want to cheat. I think some people truly desire a lifelong partner.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote