Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-7-2016, 04:48 PM   #181
Dj_Ossa
SMGroove
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via Skype™ to Dj_Ossa
Default Re: The Video Game Mega Pack 4 (RELEASED!)

No need, I'm really enjoying reading your reviews so keep it up!
Old 09-7-2016, 04:49 PM   #182
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

fyi, I played with bg off/mines off/c-mods etc. on stream because I didn't want to spoil the players playing the pack.

:v
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2016, 04:54 PM   #183
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Constructive criticism is ALWAYS appreciated on my end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2016, 05:29 PM   #184
DigitalS3r4ph
I'm Tsuka
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to DigitalS3r4ph Send a message via MSN to DigitalS3r4ph

UIDSea is downloading and will stream VGMP 4 very shortly...

https://www.twitch.tv/uidseastream

PM me if you find the secret.
DigitalS3r4ph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2016, 05:54 PM   #185
Celirra
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Celirra

Actually since I'm doing the reviews anyways, I'll stream the rest of the pack while I make my way through it, I can give any kind of more in-depth comments on the songs that way etc, or if I missed anything important.

twitch / celirra , if anyone wants to swing by.

EDIT: stream's off, might stream the rest of the songs tomorrow.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ

Last edited by Celirra; 09-7-2016 at 08:53 PM..
Celirra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2016, 07:01 PM   #186
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

hnggggggggggggggggggg
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2016, 07:10 PM   #187
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

more reviews :3

Pulse ~Elemia Arrange~ (Yesssss)
I simply adored the polyrhythms here man... sweet song

Phoenix Wright ~ Objection! (hi19hi19)
I really really loved the miniholds in the beginning. They showcased the syncopation extremely well! And that solo... unexpected?!? haha, nice corn

Pepperouchau's Adventure (Ferrari)
I loved that solo, and those mines!

Pardoner's Dance (XelNya)
Cute file xel :3 Constructiver criticism: in my opinion, your holds in the beginning are a tad too long (especially considering most of the time we have to hit another note right at the end of the hold). I think it would help flow in that part if you just shrank them a bit. For the rest, no complaints man, I enjoyed myself all the way through! Sick last second mine lolol

Pancakes (MacGravel)
Nice layering, I really liked the hands here for some reason! These dogs' face is so silly haha

Over Drive (kommisar & cedolad)
I loved everytime in the beginning where you had a yellow 16ths after jumps and then silence, it made really interesting rhythms. The solo was great, too. A bit too hard for me, but I can't wait to be good enough and to play this file to its full potential

Operation Intrude (dub)
wait that was quick, let's play this again to make sure I didn't miss anything
ahh man, I hit those mines again xD
Nice chart, AAA bait for me!

Opaque Air V2 (Gundam-Dude)
Simply loved it. These mini holds on the cymbals... my god. Beautiful.

Niagaro - Water Melody (Tsuka)
I loved the short burst man ))

Nemesis Ba'al Theme (XelNya)
I loved this man, I think it's my favorite file from you so far! Only complaints: in the beginning, I didn't dig the quads of mines. I really wanted to hit them because there's a drum sound on them :< Also, I didn't really get what the minitrill of 32nds was going to (but maybe this is just because my hearing is getting bad). Once the middle section started, oh my god, that was a real treat. Thanks!

Neko Atsume no Theme (Gundam-Dude)
what a sweet file! ^^ I honestly found the song hilarious. <3333

Naval Battle (Tsuka)
wow, props. Congrats on making a file with holds, minijacks and mines all at ones that managed not to throw me up!! I liked that one a lot, not top 5 contender, but definitely top 10 contender!

NameEntry - 2A03+N106 mix - (Nullifidian)
No comments, this is just flat out amazing imo

Mountain Range (cedo)
ROCKET KNIGHT ADVENTUREEEESSS THANKS FOR STEPPING THIS
This wasn't stepped exactly like I would've done it (I think you have a few missing notes, most notably if you listen to the music sample when the notes slide down I wish that part would've been stepped with more precision), but dude let's not worry about that. I had lots of fun playing the file, and I hope this song raises awareness for this fantastic game!!

Minuit à Fond la Caisse (James May)
mine_birds/10 xD
I found the beginning a bit too repetitive for me, especially without any melodic lead I found it a tad boring. However, the middle section with gabba sounding percussions surprised the hell out of me, and this turned into a pretty fun mine dodging session! This may have expanded my mind about songs without melodic leads.

Midnight Greenhouse (Tsuka)
Chill song dude A bit too relaxed for me, maybe I'm just not in the right mood right now. I really want to play a crunchy file haha xP This didn't do it for me this time, but it's not by any means a bad file!!

Masquerade of Lies (Detrimentalist)
Perhaps a taaaaaad too long for me, but MAN THAT WAS AWESOME TOP 5 CONTENDER, now I have to check out what The Legend of Heroes actually is lol

Mario Theme (BT REMIX) (wv)
DOOOOOOOOOOOOPE
DOPE
DEOP
DOPE
DOPE DOPE
I loved the dick-sync at the beginning, as masochistic as that makes me, and when I hit the speed-up section,........ my god. I'm in love. Hey, Dynam0, play this! I wanna to see your MA 8D
Definitely a solid top 5 contender for me.

Mario Paint Medley (MarioNintendo)
:3 this is one of my silly files hehehehhe

March of the One Legged Man (James May)
I like the jumps with double holds and different lengths... the "ok!" receptor made for a nice effect
I honestly found the song too repetitive for me x( Sorry man, not my cup of tea. Your steps were nothing to be ashamed of, though, they were great!

Main Theme (MarioNintendo)
Apparently this is super similar to hi19's file? Yeah man send your file over, I'm super curious now x3

Magical Sound Shower (MarioNintendo)
Honestly, I don't think deserved the first prize... I played at least 5 songs so far that I thought were more impresseive than this (i.e. the top 5 contenders). Still, it's a real honor to have won the gold trophy. I hope you enjoy this file, everyone

Mag Mount (Choof)
I found the jacking melody annoying...... This song gave me a good robotomy feel in the polyrhythms sections though. I especially liked when the polyrhythm sections were done, not because they were done, but because the part right after is so much easier and flows really great to me!

Luigi's Mansion (MacGravel & Tsuka)
that music sample is 100% LEGIT
This music sends chills down my spine... the mario (or is it luigi?) laugh is PERFECT LIKE HGGGNNN
Worthy of being an xmod only file. Super Super Super Super Super serious top 5 contender, not gonna lie I'm in love with this one. It's like Orbital v2!!!

Lily Islands (bmah)
Super chillax file man I found the song a tad too repetitive (the melody at least), but you NAILED that drum solo! You had guts I couldn't have had by picking this song up for stepping. Your steps are super interesting for it, way more than the song deserves in my opinion :P Thanks for the file!!

Life Flashing Before Ones Eyes (MarioNintendo)
yeah this file is good or is it ? whatever
BUY MECHA RITZ ON STEAM IF YOU LIKE SHMUPS THANK ME LATER

Krook's March (bmah)
I edited the .sm not to have the crazy garbbled lyrics This makes the file so much better!
I don't have the necessary skill to play this, I can tell that much lol. It feels so stiff to me! The gallops were soul-crushing, yet they looked like if they should be no big deal. Am I being stupid? I'll have to come back when I'm better. Either way, what the song lacks in punch, you more than make up for it with this punchy chart :P

Kingdom of Devotindos (MarioNintendo)
I've been wanting to chart this chart ever since I picked up Stepmania. I finally did. I can die happy now.

Kara no Kyoukai (Gundam-Dude)
Melty Blood (Meruti Buraddo), is a visual novel and fighting game, co-developed by djin circles Type-Moon and French-Bread.
Well, who would've thought!
It's not complicated: every time there were 16ths in this, I was smiling. Sweet file man

Jurassic Dope (Jombo)
2D0P3/2D0P3
BL4Z3 1T
I love this file haha

Johnny C Bad (porkypink)
Honestly... honestly man, I just can't resist this file. This is more than top 5 contender, right now this simply is my favorite file of the pack. Porky, you completely killed it. You nailed it. The color theory in this is very nicely done: always present, yet never distracting. Actually, I really want to know how you acheived this effect. Using the tools I know, there's no way I could acheive this effect myself. This elevates the file beyond anything I've faced so far. The hype factor is constant throughout, which is a huge feat considering the length of the song. EVERYTHING works in this file. It's a work of art. This file will forever be in my stepmania folder. I'll show it off to every one. It's just too good. <333 I can't even understand how you managed to squeeze 3 difficulties out of this. BEAST file. I'll forever respect you as a stepper thanks to this.

ps: this song is from FF6? Thanks for giving me the motivation to finish that game, lol, I HAVE to see where this song pops up!
pps: interesting fact: I always hit the mines at the end for some reason. Nice job :P

Jet Set Medley Future (MacGravel)
TOP FIVE CONTENDER LOL
DID YOU EXPECT A REVIEW?
NOPE
GOOD FILE
OH SHIT DOES THAT COUNT AS A REVIEW NOW?
SHIIIT

Jago (Sakuhachi Remix) (DJ Ossa)
First time I played this, I wasn't convined...
but for some reason, it hit me the second time. THIS FILE IS AWESOME 0_0 Really close to being a top 5 contender for me!

Inner Goldfield (MarioNintendo)
metal slug :3 Fun fact: this was the default wallpaper I put for it:

hggnnn fio marry me

In the Fires of Ignition (hi19hi19)
Top 5 contender holy shit these streams are tastyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy no complaints absolutely no complaints

Quote:
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 09-7-2016, 07:25 PM   #188
Dj_Ossa
SMGroove
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music Producer

Send a message via Skype™ to Dj_Ossa

Yeah I feel like Jago is one of those files you gotta play a couple times to enjoy it hahaha.

Thanks for the review!
Old 09-7-2016, 08:52 PM   #189
Celirra
FFR Player

~~My totally relevant and well put together reviews (pt 3)~~

Three levels I used:
-Amazing; I'd go back to this pack just to play it.
-Decent; if I'm stumbling through the pack I may play it occasionally.
-Unimpressed; likely would just skip right past it.

Please do note that unimpressed doesn't mean it's bad, it just means I don't like the file relative to other ones in the pack, and I also have very niche tastes. Also if you're in the mood for noting still, please also note that if a file was on the fringe of decent and amazing, I'd always round down, likewise with unimpressed and decent. Gotta conserve those high ratings bruh!

Goon Twins
I don't really have the speed for this kind of file, so take this with a grain of salt; the file itself is fine, the patterns aren't shit, and it is synced well. It was a fun enough experience for me.
Decent.

Grab the Crystal Popcorn!
The first little bit was nice, it was a pretty chill jumpstream with breaks here and there. Then after the holdstream section, jacks got thrown in and then what was a chill file became a file that had a bit of unwarranted difficulty I'd say. Good for a challenge I guess though.
Unimpressed.

Gradius II NES Medley
So I really like this one, because of the very distinct differences between the songs used in the medley. But distinctly in the final song, there were a few 200bpm jacks, and I wonder why you used jacks. I feel like quick rolls (like 24ths or 32nds even) would've fit the song better (and they'd be more fun in my opinion). Cool file but didn't find it super fun, and I think you tried too hard to make it challenging.
Unimpressed.

Grannies World Tour
Only played the oni; it was a nice holdstream file. The middle-ish part with the denser holds kind of screwed me over, but the rest of the file was actually a lot of fun. It's the kind of thing I actually don't mind from a holdstream file.
Decent.

Ground Theme / Underground Theme
Only played the oni. I prefered the first half tremendously, some of the second half felt like it was overstepped or cruelly stepped. Those long left arrow anchors near the end really made it so I didn't really want to come back to this, but the first half makes me want to go for a good score. I'm torn on this one, it's good challenge but it's not great fun at times.
Decent.

Hard Man's Theme (Genesis Remix)
Played both hard and oni, preferred oni. It's a jacking file, but some parts of it just don't feel good to me especially. I'd say most (maybe 3/4) of the jacks are warrented, but there's some where I don't see why they were used rhythmically or by design. Then with it being a jacking file in mind, there were parts of the song (eg. near-ish to the end, or near the start had a couple examples) that would've had jacks fit in well with the music, but weren't used.
Unimpressed.

High-Speed Beast
Too fast for me. Even without the high speed though, I don't think I like it much from a design standpoint. The 300bpm streams were fine, but I dont think the music warrants the jackstreams per se. I'd recommend it for anyone who likes a hard file though, cause it's definitely hard.
Unimpressed.

Home
So the file's good, so nice there, I'd recommend for anyone newer, and can be done on rates too due to well thought out patterns. Anyways though, I was about to AAA it but then I sneezed right near the end and got a great, so I'm pretty tilted.
Decent.

Hope & Joy Peace & Love
I mentioned in another review that MarioNintendo often charts what makes sense to the song and considers what's fun second. This is a case where it's super accurate to the song, and a lot of fun too. It's files like this that prove your strategy can work really well.
Amazing.

Hornet Dance (Genesis Remix)
Wheeee, minijacks. (played both oni and heavy) The file is fine and it's fun, but more could've been done with the song. There were notes and sounds that were prominent that were missed, or cases where I think something other than jacks could've been used.
Decent.

In The Fires of Ignition
Fun one. I loved the light jacking sections, I loved the quick streams. The song was nice too. Well rounded file.
Amazing.

Inner Goldfield
Loved it. Good fun, well charted, nice song, all around great. The difficulty was there, but not in an obnoxious way, and it was all around a lot of fun. One of the best so far for sure.
Amazing.

Jago (Shakuhachi Remix)
Like Tsugaru with holds, the burstyness was pretty fun and fit well, but I don't like burstyness nor holds, nor have I ever liked tsugaru so I wasn't the biggest fan. By no means is it bad though. I do appreciate the effort put into making it really accurate.
Decent.

Jet Set Medley Future
I love me some Jet Set Radio music, it works so great for stepmania, this was no exception. That was a really fun one, I especially liked the notable differences used throughout the medley with the different tracks.
Amazing.

Johnny C. Bad
Oni was good streamy fun. Different tempos and such always make for a unique experience, and it was cool in that sense. Some of the patterns though with those much more off-beat notes were kind of aids and didn't fit amazingly but that's just me, and I have weird taste in streamy patterns. I appreciate the multiple difficulties and such though, always cool when people do that.
Decent.

Jurassic Dope
Dank file dude. It was fun though, the jacks weren't a pain, the bursts were pretty fun. A tad bit repetitive though.
Decent.

Kara no Kyoukai
Holdstream with a bit of jumpstream; didn't play the solo file. Pretty fun for what it was at times, but a lot of it was somewhat dull, plus I'm not a big fan of holds.
Unimpressed.

Kingdom of Devotindos
Great file! I really liked the patterns used, and (credit to the song itself) I liked how it had both syncopated parts and also quicker streaming parts. Excellent file.
Amazing.

Krook's March
On one hand I liked the first maybe 2/3's, it all felt very fluid. And I liked the last third too, but the sudden difficulty spike caught me off guard, and I don't really know if the more difficult charting worked out with the song. The burstiness of this one was good though.
Decent.

Life Flashing Before One's Eyes
I was surprised I liked this one as much as I did. The bursty sections were good, the streamy sections were good, but those anchors and similar patterns in the first 16th note section ruined the file for me... It'd be an A++ if not for that honestly.
Unimpressed.

Lily Islands
There isn't a lot to say about this file. It's a decent simple file, it's good for lower caliber players, but it has some annoying jacks too as the only major challenge.
Unimpressed.

Luigi's Mansion
I know it's supposed to be xmod, but I can't into xmod so I just did it on cmod. Either way, cool song, cool file. I'd like to see a proper cmod file for this song, that'd be neato.
Amazing.

Mag Mount
I think it's safe to call this file a dump file. I didn't like it really, between the jacks and the unneeded jumps at times etc, it just felt like the file was made to be a challenge, not a fun time. Kirby songs are good though so there's that going for it.
Unimpressed.

Magical Sound Shower
Good file, well worth all the high praise. You even made me like the obnoxious jacks and trills, so high five to you on that. I don't think it's the top file, but it's way up there for sure!
Amazing.

Main theme
tfw 225bpm streams ;__; other than that it's a fun song, the patterns are nice and the minijacks work nice.
Decent.

March of the One Legged Man
Cute. It's a nice beginner file, and it works pretty well on rates too for light handstream and hold practice. In the pile of recommendations for newer players.
Decent.

Mario Paint Medley
It was a good file, but I didn't like the holdstream much. Nothing too special about this one, it reminds me of the style of songs from the FFR packs.
Decent.

Mario Theme (BT Remix)
It's a cool file actually. I liked it a lot, even with the accelerating stream then decelerating jumpstream peaking at 200bpm. Too fast for me though to really do, but it was still a fun file all around.
Amazing.

Masquerade of Lies
So this one has 16th jumpstream, 24ths streams, and a bit of hold and burst elements. The fact that it used all the different components so well is what really made this file stand out in my mind; the song choice was great, and the stepping complemented it well.
Amazing.

Midnight Greenhouse
Cute 24ths-based file. Not much special about this one sure, but it's still solid all around. Nothing to complain about but not much to say.
Decent.

Minuit a Fold la Caisse
Minijacks galore. Even that aside, I didn't really enjoy this file. Some parts felt understepped, mind you I play without mines so I may have missed something in those 504 mines used.
Unimpressed.

Mountain Range
On one hand I love the use of the rolls throughout and the jacks, while I didn't like it, fit the song very well. But some of the holds felt awkward (likely my own fault).
Decent.

NameEntry -2A03+N106 mix-
Bursty file, it was fun but the 220bpm stream by the end kind of fucked me. Good for practice on stamina and speed!
Decent.

Naval Battle
Really fun file! It was bursty but not too quick, and the bursts were fun to nail. There was that one jacking section that was actually fun as well. Didn't play the heavy, the oni had me sold on this file being great.
Amazing.

Neko Atsume no Theme
:catgirl_ascii: Tame file, good on rates too. Nice for beginners. Pretty straightforward song.
Decent.

Nemesis Ba'al Theme
Played the oni only. Great file, I especially loved the ending, it really helped to wrap up a solid file.
Amazing.

Niagaro - Water Melody
(Oni only) The jump jacks at the start were really comfy; good length, patterning, and use. The song itself as a whole was nice, liked it a lot.
Amazing.

Opaque Air
It was nice, I liked the light jumpstream and the 24th streams. I do feel like the file was a bit lacking; stepping the background drums a bit may have helped the file by giving it a bit more substance in a couple sections.
Unimpressed.

Operation Intrude
Short file, good for going for accuracy. Stepped really fun as well, but the length makes it hard to get into. (aka not the fault of the author, the file was fantastic!!!!)
Decent.

Over Drive
Reminded me of a black hole... Fun though, should practice this kind of thing to get better and such yada yada.
Decent.

Pancakes
Pretty chart, I like the buildup of difficulty and patterns, I'll be coming back to this one for higher rates practice for sure. Good for beginners too!
Amazing

Pardoner's Dance
Didn't leave an impression on me. It was a short and easy file, but it was kind of boring as well. Fault of the song not the file; it's a pretty song but it's not too fun to play.
Unimpressed.

Pepperouchau's Adventure
I loved the patterning of this one. The cute minijacks and the short hold patterns were sweet. But other than that, not much special.
Decent.

Phoenix Wright ~ Objection!
It started out easy, lowered my guard, then poof, rolls! Great file though, lots of fun.
Amazing.
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Old 09-7-2016, 09:02 PM   #190
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.

Hey Celirra, welcome to the end of the pack! There's some good stuff in there haha. It's fun to review in reverse

Quote:
Quote:
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 09-7-2016, 09:07 PM   #191
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

@maro glad to see you liked the files mate. I'll skim over that hold thing because i remember being iffy on it myself. Also, your reasoning for disliking the quad mines in ba'al is funny. I wanna hit 'em too.

Thats why oni is, as it is.

Btw if you only play the oni, you're kinda missing out on what I feel is the more fun file, but maybe im wrong.

Last edited by XelNya; 09-7-2016 at 09:10 PM..
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2016, 09:08 PM   #192
Leo137
FFR Player

got the secret!~
Leo137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2016, 09:18 PM   #193
pedolad
FFR Player

out of my submissions, excluding the collabs, celirra only disliked one so far

really enjoy reading all their reviews.
Old 09-7-2016, 09:27 PM   #194
macgravel
Resident Poopbutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo137 View Post
got the secret!~
Whoo!~ I hope you enjoyed it!
macgravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2016, 09:37 PM   #195
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarioNintendo View Post
Minuit à Fond la Caisse (James May)
mine_birds/10 xD
I found the beginning a bit too repetitive for me, especially without any melodic lead I found it a tad boring. However, the middle section with gabba sounding percussions surprised the hell out of me, and this turned into a pretty fun mine dodging session! This may have expanded my mind about songs without melodic leads.

March of the One Legged Man (James May)
I like the jumps with double holds and different lengths... the "ok!" receptor made for a nice effect
I honestly found the song too repetitive for me x( Sorry man, not my cup of tea. Your steps were nothing to be ashamed of, though, they were great!
That happens when you leave files in the bin for 2 years xD

But yeah, My main worries was that those files didn't age well but looks like they did so far :v

Last edited by James May; 09-7-2016 at 09:39 PM..
James May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2016, 10:15 PM   #196
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedolad View Post
out of my submissions, excluding the collabs, celirra only disliked one so far

really enjoy reading all their reviews.
Can't really say the same :/
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2016, 10:15 PM   #197
pedolad
FFR Player

MN, I can't wait for you to play my favorite of the MvC2 ost
Old 09-7-2016, 10:18 PM   #198
macgravel
Resident Poopbutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Dude we fucking loved your files. When me and Tsuka were doing our final playtest, we kept screaming when your files came up cause they were so fun and got us hype
macgravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-7-2016, 10:24 PM   #199
Celirra
FFR Player

Quote:
I think the files you made just aren't my kind of thing, and looking back I was a bit unfair with a couple (Angel Island especially oops). They're really not badly made at all!!!! I'm just hard to please a lot of the time and have a niche interest. Sorry
 ノ li.゚ ヮ゚ノi
彡と} 猫.{つ
Old 09-7-2016, 10:25 PM   #200
DigitalS3r4ph
I'm Tsuka
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to DigitalS3r4ph Send a message via MSN to DigitalS3r4ph

Quote:
I loved all of your submissions actually, especially Rhythm and Balance. Krooks March is really well done too, and I warmed up to Splash Down as well.

You were the most consistent step author to send files in and have them accepted (aside from MarioNintendo). I think that's worthy of a trophy actually.

PM me if you find the secret.
DigitalS3r4ph is offline   Reply With Quote