Old 01-20-2017, 09:29 AM   #421
Shouka
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Misc. progress thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
I hit 275 flat bench. Way faster than I thought. I barely failed 295...I did get it up but I had a little help.
Speaking of barely failing 295 on the bench...

Old 01-20-2017, 10:55 AM   #422
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shouka View Post

You were literally right there at the end lol. I bet if you did a push and go, you would've hit it.
AND watch anime.
Mahou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:44 AM   #423
SCWolf
༼ ͡◉ل͜ ͡◉༽ 👌
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to SCWolf Send a message via MSN to SCWolf Send a message via Skype™ to SCWolf

Quote:

this is cool, keep trying
Old 02-18-2017, 12:45 AM   #424
justaguy
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to justaguy

proud member of 1100 club @ 185 lbs

Last edited by justaguy; 02-18-2017 at 02:07 AM..
justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:04 PM   #425
Shouka
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Today was a disappointing day. My plan was to try to get a 300lb bench, but my inability to do plate math took away my chance to give it my best effort. While warming up, I did paused singles at 225, 245, and 265. Initially I was planning to do 285 next, but decided to up it to 290 to ensure that I would get a PR today. However, instead of putting 45/45/25/5/2.5 on my side, I put on 45/45/25/10/2.5. My friend who was loading the other side put on the correct weights. So, I have a bar that weighs 295lbs and is off balance. Somehow I didn't really notice or figure out that something was wrong during the rep. I lowered the bar to my chest, paused, and began pressing it back up. It was harder than I was expecting but progress was being made and I was on my way to finishing the rep. As I was about to lock it out my left arm began lagging behind and the weights started to slide. I freaked out and lowered the bar in an attempt to straighten it and let my spotter know to help but it was too late to save the weights. A few fell off the left side and you guys can probably predict the chain reaction that started. Luckily no one got injured and my spotter was able to help me handle the bar as the weights tumbled off.

Afterwards I was kinda shaken. I dropped the weight to 275 for another single in an attempt to regain confidence. It was really easy and made me begin to question why 290 had been so difficult. Then it hit me that I'm an idiot. I remembered putting a 10 on my side. I then attempted actual 290 and got it without too much difficulty. However, after that rep my chest started tightening and when I finally attempted 300 I barely got the weight off my chest.

For anyone wondering, yes I started using clips after my fail.

Last edited by Shouka; 02-18-2017 at 11:16 PM..
Shouka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #426
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Lol, I never use clips.
AND watch anime.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #427
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I was doing deadlifts and some dude that was beside me doing squats thought it would be a good idea to take ALL the weights off of one side first...the bar whipped right around and nearly decapitated me...dude just awkwardly collects the weights and bar off the floor and hurries away, no apology lmao.
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #428
justaguy
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynam0 View Post
I was doing deadlifts and some dude that was beside me doing squats thought it would be a good idea to take ALL the weights off of one side first...the bar whipped right around and nearly decapitated me...dude just awkwardly collects the weights and bar off the floor and hurries away, no apology lmao.
This is my greatest fear
Old 02-19-2017, 04:29 PM   #429
justaguy
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Today was a disappointing day. My plan was to try to get a 300lb bench, but my inability to do plate math took away my chance to give it my best effort. While warming up, I did paused singles at 225, 245, and 265. Initially I was planning to do 285 next, but decided to up it to 290 to ensure that I would get a PR today. However, instead of putting 45/45/25/5/2.5 on my side, I put on 45/45/25/10/2.5. My friend who was loading the other side put on the correct weights. So, I have a bar that weighs 295lbs and is off balance. Somehow I didn't really notice or figure out that something was wrong during the rep. I lowered the bar to my chest, paused, and began pressing it back up. It was harder than I was expecting but progress was being made and I was on my way to finishing the rep. As I was about to lock it out my left arm began lagging behind and the weights started to slide. I freaked out and lowered the bar in an attempt to straighten it and let my spotter know to help but it was too late to save the weights. A few fell off the left side and you guys can probably predict the chain reaction that started. Luckily no one got injured and my spotter was able to help me handle the bar as the weights tumbled off.

Afterwards I was kinda shaken. I dropped the weight to 275 for another single in an attempt to regain confidence. It was really easy and made me begin to question why 290 had been so difficult. Then it hit me that I'm an idiot. I remembered putting a 10 on my side. I then attempted actual 290 and got it without too much difficulty. However, after that rep my chest started tightening and when I finally attempted 300 I barely got the weight off my chest.

For anyone wondering, yes I started using clips after my fail.
How often are you trying to 1rm and what other lifts are you doing for chest? I haven't tried going above 285 in a long time. Would ideally like to get 3 plates before calling my bench good forever but my left shoulder is dangerously tender sometimes from previous injury.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:39 PM   #430
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

I need to deload...at least that's how I've been feeling. Managed to hit a pr last week on the incline. 1rm is now 245 and things haven't been right since I've done the lift. I also have been practicing a couple of variations of weighted pull-ups. Not sure if I need to eat more since my training has more volume or fix my diet. Just to be on the safe side, I'll probably just end up laying off for a week.
AND watch anime.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #431
Shouka
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahou View Post
Lol, I never use clips.
I usually don't either because I've never had this problem before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
How often are you trying to 1rm and what other lifts are you doing for chest? I haven't tried going above 285 in a long time. Would ideally like to get 3 plates before calling my bench good forever but my left shoulder is dangerously tender sometimes from previous injury.
I don't have a set schedule for attempting one rep maxes. My last attempt for bench was on December 20th. Other than bench, the only exercises I do that target chest are flies and weighted dips. I don't currently do incline or decline bench. 3 plates has been my goal for years. The progress since I first hit 275 has been painfully slow. I got my first touch and go rep at 275 on May 13th 2015 and my first paused rep on Feb 7th 2016. Since then my paused PR has only improved by ~20-25lbs (it's unclear if I could get 300, but I'm about 99.9% confident 295 would've happened if the bar was balanced).

Vid of incident I described earlier:

And when the correct weight is on the bar:

Old 02-19-2017, 06:42 PM   #432
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Why don't you do incline or decline? Those are some compound movements that will help your bench press (imo). Do you use dumbbells? I feel like that's what helped me improve so fast in my first year of lifting.
AND watch anime.
Old 02-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #433
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Maybe it's noob but I use two HG collars on every lift specifically because I am paranoid about stuff sliding around or falling off
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:51 PM   #434
justaguy
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
I usually don't either because I've never had this problem before.

I don't have a set schedule for attempting one rep maxes. My last attempt for bench was on December 20th. Other than bench, the only exercises I do that target chest are flies and weighted dips. I don't currently do incline or decline bench. 3 plates has been my goal for years. The progress since I first hit 275 has been painfully slow. I got my first touch and go rep at 275 on May 13th 2015 and my first paused rep on Feb 7th 2016. Since then my paused PR has only improved by ~20-25lbs (it's unclear if I could get 300, but I'm about 99.9% confident 295 would've happened if the bar was balanced).

Vid of incident I described earlier:

And when the correct weight is on the bar:

definitely consider using dumbbells (either flat or incline) and decline/incline barbell bench. if that's been your plateau for this long it's possible working other areas in close proximity will benefit you a lot more than flat bench itself. pullups and pendlay rows help too.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:11 PM   #435
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justaguy View Post
definitely consider using dumbbells (either flat or incline) and decline/incline barbell bench. if that's been your plateau for this long it's possible working other areas in close proximity will benefit you a lot more than flat bench itself. pullups and pendlay rows help too.
curious -- what's your routine lately?
Old 02-19-2017, 08:31 PM   #436
justaguy
Forum User
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
curious -- what's your routine lately?
typically hit 5/7 days a week, for all workouts:

always:

dynamic stretches (before and after workout)
half mile warmup
1-3 mile run after workout
abs: captains chair, leg lifts, bicycles, 4x60sec planks (one on back, one forward, and both sides)

alternating depending what i want to focus on for the day (in no particular order):

squats (sets of 5, generally. sometimes i'll do 8-10 at lower weight or sets of 3 at higher weights, usually 5-7 sets)
deadlifts (sets of 2-3 up to ~70% of my 1rm and then singles after that, usually 8 sets)
flat bench (sets of 5-8, try to get up to my working weight and do 5 sets of 5. i usually finish with a set of 15 with 1 second pauses at the bottom at 135)
pendlay rows (sets of 5-8, usually 5 sets)
stiff leg deadlifts (sets of 8-10, 3 sets)
wide grip pullups (sets of 8, 3 sets)
overhead press (sets of 5, 5 sets)
incline bench (sets of 5-8, 3 sets)
dumbbell flies (high volume low weight)
dumbbell bicep curls (sets of 10, 3 sets)
tricep pulldowns (high volume low weight)
dumbbell bench (sets of 10, 3 sets)
calf raises (however many i fuckin feel like)
shrugs (sets of 10, 3 sets)

my neck doesn't like weighted dips and my shoulder doesn't like dumbbell military press. everything else is pretty fair game. i should really try to incorporate front squats into my workouts (i only do high bar squats).

i also use a belt for anything heavy in deadlift/squats and will use knee sleeves in heavy squats because i fucked up my right knee before

only supplement i take is creatine. i drink black tea for preworkout and don't drink protein shakes.

SeemsGood

i also use collars on pretty much everything because theres really no point not using collars #SafetyFirst

theres also possibly a lift or two i forgot atm will confirm l8r

Last edited by justaguy; 02-19-2017 at 08:38 PM..
justaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:38 PM   #437
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Wow, how long does that take you to get through? I feel like that'd take me 3 hours or something.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:41 PM   #438
Mahou
魔法少女
FFR Veteran

Looks somewhat similar to mine except that I usually go for 15 reps when I do my squats. The least amount of reps I'll perform on a set is 8. I don't do deadlifts either.
After I finish the deloading week, I'll probably end up being back on a three on, one day off routine (pretty much putting me 6 days a week).

Since you don't take protein shakes, how much protein are you shooting for? Could you share what your macros look like most days?
AND watch anime.

Last edited by Mahou; 02-19-2017 at 08:45 PM..
Old 02-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #439
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

The only time I'd use collars is for jump squats but seeing shouka's vid has me considering lol

@reincarnate i'm p sure that's all of his workouts for the week?

Last edited by Dynam0; 02-19-2017 at 08:43 PM..
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:45 PM   #440
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

dynam0: oh, prolly -- I can't read for shit