dragonmegaXX
ITG playing fur
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity View Post

I just had too.

For the score counter, there isn't.
Whoops~ I thought I had that active, and since I dont usually use the engine I thought maybe there was a combo counter in the corner as well as where the arrows scroll.

My bad.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #1502
Velocity
Doing the wrong thing the right way since 2010.
Site and Game Administrator
AdministratorRetired StaffDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonmegaXX View Post
Whoops~ I thought I had that active, and since I dont usually use the engine I thought maybe there was a combo counter in the corner as well as where the arrows scroll.

My bad.
No problem, people make mistakes.
Velocity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #1503
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
TL;DR: The note spawning code is garbage and it's impossible.
Sounds like a good next project ;P <3
Old 11-22-2011, 12:19 AM   #1504
Velocity
AdministratorRetired StaffDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post
Sounds like a good next project ;P <3
Sounds like a great time for you to take up programming.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:20 AM   #1505
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

That explains a lot...thanks for clearing the puzzle there.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 12:26 AM   #1506
justin_ator
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Sounds like a great time for you to take up programming.
;P

I'm done givin you crap. Thanks for explaining these things.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #1507
Silvuh
quit
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

I'd be surprised if this hasn't been suggested before ... But uh.

I think it'd make more sense for "Show Only" to AND between categories. Selecting "Full Combo" and "10" shows all songs that are FC'd OR 10, which includes 10s you haven't FC'd. E.g. "(AAA OR FC) AND (10 OR 11)" then would show only the boxes you have checked... in the way I interpret that, anyway.

Also, as suggested earlier, there would need to be a Public check box; you can't sort out tokens using Show Only otherwise. If further filtering in Show Only would be more convenient, then it's just not the same as "Hide All Tokens".

And this is off-topic, but I really hate how slow I am at forum posts. This took me an hour to type up and refine, thinking about what all I wanted to say and how, making it more succinct and all that.
Old 11-22-2011, 01:43 AM   #1508
MaxGhost
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MaxGhost

I'm taking a data structures class right now, and holy shit FFR is poorly coded. Shame on Synth. Basically, the reason most programs are retardedly slow is poor use of data structures. One of the reasons Flash is slow is cause Adobe makes it. Adobe is notorious for being ****ing terrible at designing proper data structures for their programs. Compare Picasa to Lightroom. Picasa is insanely smooth and works very quickly for the amount of work it has to do. If you've ever tried facial recognition in either of the programs, you know what I'm talking about. The reason Google is #1 in most of what they do is their great use of data structures which enables fast search operations on a large database.

Anyways, I've suggested this many times before, but I can't stress how much better the sorting would be if it was implemented:
A three-way toggle for each of the checkboxes, so Off/Yes/No would be amazing. Off means "no change", Yes means "show these", and No means "hide these". I suggest a green checkmark and a red X for yes/no on the checkboxes. With this, you could get rid of the show/hide toggle, and you would end up with a much more malleable sorting system.
MaxGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:05 AM   #1509
Emithith
FFR Player

Quote:
FFR core was designed 8 years ago, nothing has changed about how notes are spawned since then. The game doesn't know where the arrows need to be placed until 1 second before you have to hit them. So the arrows aren't even on field to change where they appear and are removed from the game field once you hit them or miss the note. The arrow is also removed from the note array so after you spawn a note, you can never re-spawn it without reloading the level.

In order to make a system where you could change the position of the replay, it would require writing FFR from scratch.

TL;DR: The note spawning code is garbage and it's impossible.
Holy shit. lololol by Synth setting that as a base, look at all the shit you now have to work around T_T;
Now I understand.

also: ADOBE POWERHUNGRY RAWRRR
Emithith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:09 AM   #1510
justin_ator
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Complete overhaul of the system that had been thoroughly tested would be nice. Hey, that'd be a good thing to give to the Vets to test as a Beta. Give us a reason to exist, ya know?

just speaking my mind... don't get mad at me please lolllll
Old 11-22-2011, 07:25 AM   #1511
lolpwnlol
FFR Player

Err... An option to turn off background? Sorry if this has been asked before. It gets irritating in songs like flight of the bumblebee
lolpwnlol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:55 AM   #1512
Velocity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxGhost View Post
I'm taking a data structures class right now, and holy shit FFR is poorly coded. Shame on Synth. Basically, the reason most programs are retardedly slow is poor use of data structures. One of the reasons Flash is slow is cause Adobe makes it. Adobe is notorious for being ****ing terrible at designing proper data structures for their programs. Compare Picasa to Lightroom. Picasa is insanely smooth and works very quickly for the amount of work it has to do. If you've ever tried facial recognition in either of the programs, you know what I'm talking about. The reason Google is #1 in most of what they do is their great use of data structures which enables fast search operations on a large database.

Anyways, I've suggested this many times before, but I can't stress how much better the sorting would be if it was implemented:
A three-way toggle for each of the checkboxes, so Off/Yes/No would be amazing. Off means "no change", Yes means "show these", and No means "hide these". I suggest a green checkmark and a red X for yes/no on the checkboxes. With this, you could get rid of the show/hide toggle, and you would end up with a much more malleable sorting system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emithith View Post
Holy shit. lololol by Synth setting that as a base, look at all the shit you now have to work around T_T;
Now I understand.

also: ADOBE POWERHUNGRY RAWRRR
You have to remember that when FFR was first created back in 2002, only AS1 existed. Flash 7 and AS2 were released in 2003. Back at that time, actionscript was still very basic and people made due with what they had.

The only real problem is that over the years, FFR was never changed internally to support the demand for more extensive features, and everything was built around it. The fact that Synth was even able to make a rhythm game back so long ago that played smoothly was a big undertaking.

Part of the reason flash lags is honestly flash itself. The graphics engine they use up until Flash 11 and it's Stage3D is complete crap.

If I were to spawn every arrow in a song, and have them move, the old Flash graphics engine would scan EVERY PIXEL to check if it moved which makes total sense, and update accordingly. The happens every frame of course. But, flash also checks every pixel even if it's not in the view port, so if I were to spawn all the arrows, the area that contains the arrows would be massive and would check every pixel in that area. Which is slooooooooooooooooooooooow

Also Actionscript 3.0 added limited support for hardware acceleration (DirectX, OpenGL).

What Synth did was actual smart, by only rendering notes that need to be visible, it prevents a massive amount of lag.

TL;DR: Flash Graphics were and still are garbage except Stage3D that was included in Flash 11. Also Synth is smart and did the best he could years ago.

And just to understand how garbage Actionscript 1/2 are compared to Actionscript 3:

var i = 0;
var extrememememememememememelyLongVarName = 0;

in AS1/2, exemem...VarName is referenced slower then i.
in AS3, both of these are the exact same speed and length doesn't matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post
Complete overhaul of the system that had been thoroughly tested would be nice. Hey, that'd be a good thing to give to the Vets to test as a Beta. Give us a reason to exist, ya know?

just speaking my mind... don't get mad at me please lolllll
Creating a game from scratch isn't as easy as it seems. You have to remember I do this for fun, I've never gone to school to learn any of this.
Also, anyone how ever tried to find R^2 most likely has found it by now, plus we have incredible things planned. All in good time though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolpwnlol View Post
Err... An option to turn off background? Sorry if this has been asked before. It gets irritating in songs like flight of the bumblebee
The levels are designed like that and disabling it won't be an option.

Last edited by Velocity; 11-22-2011 at 09:07 AM..
Old 11-22-2011, 10:48 AM   #1513
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Woohoo, total recoding of the system.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #1514
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Immediately what comes to my mind is alternative ways to unlock Skill Tokens now.

Why? On hi19's profile, he goes about saying how his St. Scarhand file is pretty awesome and whatnot, and he's pissed because only a very select few will get to play it. This is truth. I don't see myself AAA'ing FGO's anytime soon, so an alternative method would be nice.

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #1515
bmah
shots FIRED

Well the point is to have only a very select few to play it.

(admittedly though, I would like to play it myself)
Old 11-22-2011, 10:22 PM   #1516
MaxGhost
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MaxGhost

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
Well the point is to have only a very select few to play it.

(admittedly though, I would like to play it myself)
Elitism is ****ing stupid
MaxGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 PM   #1517
bmah
shots FIRED

Alternatively, you can look at it as a high goal one can strive to accomplish. Up to you. *shrugs*
Old 11-22-2011, 10:32 PM   #1518
Ryusei_
God
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Ryusei_ Send a message via Yahoo to Ryusei_ Send a message via Skype™ to Ryusei_

So, I actually made a thread about this but looking back, this seems like a more reasonable place to put it and if nothing else, add my 2 cents to the suggestion list.

http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...d.php?t=121253

There's all kinds of things that I'm sure people would like to see FFR and there's still a number of things that we USED to have but no longer do. And it seems like some of the things that were available to us in the past are being bumped down on the list (RIP Video Chat). My concern is that even though people have been outspoken about these features, we're told that they're "low priority" without really being told what's taking precedence over them.

TL;DR version: A list of things (similar to the changelog) that are currently being worked on for FFR instead of answers like "Sorry, that's low on priority"
Old 11-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #1519
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

I thought there was a changelog floating around somewhere already...could be mistaken, though. (I prefer to use the term "inexact science" when describing the development of FFR in the early days, in particular having to make stepfiles right in notepad for lack of more sophisticated tools, in response to the discussion on the last page.)

As for alternative ST get methods...I'm gonna have to agree with Bmah. (This also explains the "you did it once, you can do it again" mentality in the case of bugged-out ST unlocks. It's not meant to be dismissive, but encouraging.)
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2011, 01:11 AM   #1520
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

Quote:
Originally Posted by igotrhythm View Post
I thought there was a changelog floating around somewhere already...could be mistaken, though. (I prefer to use the term "inexact science" when describing the development of FFR in the early days, in particular having to make stepfiles right in notepad for lack of more sophisticated tools, in response to the discussion on the last page.)

As for alternative ST get methods...I'm gonna have to agree with Bmah. (This also explains the "you did it once, you can do it again" mentality in the case of bugged-out ST unlocks. It's not meant to be dismissive, but encouraging.)
there is a changelog, i think he was talking about a seperate thing, indicating the things that are being worked on, like a TODO list for FFR with priority and stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote