Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 06-17-2020, 11:53 PM   #61
the sun fan
FFR Player

Default Re: George Floyd 2: Electric Pigaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
If he says he would have done his job i.e. arrest them, often for incarceration, do you think that's that's an acceptable thing for him to do, especially in a way that is disproportionately harsh on people of color, especially when a few states over the same drug is so important it's declared an essential business during a pandemic?
"acceptable" is a difficult word for me to talk about

if he believes it, even if I don't, and its not because of malice or something, I can still look him in the eye and enjoy talking to him/being around him

FFR is a pretty good place somehow.
the sun fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:18 AM   #62
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
"acceptable" is a difficult word for me to talk about

if he believes it, even if I don't, and its not because of malice or something, I can still look him in the eye and enjoy talking to him/being around him
What is malice if not the choice to deprive someone of their freedom?
ilikexd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:31 AM   #63
the sun fan
FFR Player

Quote:
What is malice if not the choice to deprive someone of their freedom?
don't really think its malicious if he thought he was doing good

FFR is a pretty good place somehow.
the sun fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:59 AM   #64
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack

It might be easier to navigate if we're more precise about the issue.

Personally, I don't really find holistic markers like "good person" and "bastard" super useful when it comes down to it. Your friend might, in general, be "a good person." When we say ACAB, it's a statement that "being a cop" is de facto a negative character trait. There is no way to spin "being a cop" into a consistently positive trait. This is at the heart of ACAB.

Your friend might donate to charity, volunteer at pet shelters, and be a community leader. These are positive traits that reflect well on him. But at the end of the day, none of these things "cancel out" his being a cop. People can be both good and bad.

The question you should be asking isn't "is there an example of a cop that I think is a good person?", but rather "is there a good person who I thought was good BECAUSE he was a cop?"

"He seems like a sweet guy, but he's a police officer." This right here illustrates this nuance. "He's a police officer", in this case, is positioned to form a juxtaposition with the clause "He seems like a sweet guy." The cop-ness DETRACTS from the original premise of "He seems like a sweet guy." That is ACAB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:17 AM   #65
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

it's cool that y'all are having talks about race but i'm starting to disagree with some stuff said here so here we go:

you can believe that acab while still valuing your friendship with a cop outside of their profession, imo.

for police, enforcing laws-- whether they agree with them or not-- is their responsibility. i wouldn't blame a cop for enforcing drug laws, so long as they did so indiscriminately (edit: does this happen? no). do i have an issue with drug laws period? yeah, but that's above cops' heads. there's some misguided anger going on here
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
GET DUNKED FUNNY
(eaman is her name irl, friend)

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 06-18-2020 at 02:18 AM..
Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:51 AM   #66
ilikexd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
for police, enforcing laws-- whether they agree with them or not-- is their responsibility. i wouldn't blame a cop for enforcing drug laws
It is only their responsibility as far as them being a police officer is not a choice. This is the Nuremberg defense ("I was only enforcing orders"), except nobody is under duress to not desert their position, which means simply resigning in this case.

Quote:
do i have an issue with drug laws period? yeah, but that's above cops' heads.
It's not higher than shoulder level.
Old 06-18-2020, 10:16 AM   #67
choof
Banned

Quote:
for police, enforcing laws-- whether they agree with them or not-- is their responsibility. i wouldn't blame a cop for enforcing drug laws, so long as they did so indiscriminately (edit: does this happen? no). do i have an issue with drug laws period? yeah, but that's above cops' heads. there's some misguided anger going on here
the problem with "enforcing laws" is that cops are straight up killing ppl when enforcing them
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 12:17 PM   #68
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

I-35 goes through my city. It was constructed at a time where redlining was a standard tactic of systemic racism. The black part of town was pushed to the east, the white part was pushed to the west. I-35 is an effective conduit that serves a lot of traffic. Regardless of how well or poorly it manages traffic flow, it still upholds the status quo of systemic racism by separating black and brown Austin from white Austin.

Being a cop is a lot like that interstate. Policing is an institution designed to uphold the status quo of systemic racism regardless of whether a cop is a good or bad person and regardless of whether they are a good or bad cop. The laws they are told to enforce and the criminal justice system that designs the punishment for those laws upholds systemic racism. Hiring cops with good hearts won't magically fix that problem.

Last edited by aperson; 06-18-2020 at 12:18 PM..
aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 01:19 PM   #69
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

what i'm trying to get at is that police are enforcing laws that higher bodies of government put into effect. if you're angry about drug laws, direct your anger to policymakers. cops don't make the laws happen.

i'm not saying that cops are not to blame for issues surrounding policing in general.

Quote:
It is only their responsibility as far as them being a police officer is not a choice. This is the Nuremberg defense ("I was only enforcing orders"), except nobody is under duress to not desert their position, which means simply resigning in this case.
this is gonna be an unfortunately controversial statement but it's human nature to follow authority even when there isn't anything significant to lose
Can you like not use those stupid names right now? Took me long enough to get these screen names straight in my head
Quote:
GET DUNKED FUNNY

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 06-18-2020 at 01:23 PM..
Old 06-18-2020, 01:23 PM   #70
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

Quote:
what i'm trying to get at is that police are enforcing laws that higher bodies of government put into effect. if you're angry about drug laws, direct your anger to policymakers. cops don't make the laws happen.
you can do both at once. and when you direct it at cops you lower their morale and they start quitting, which is what they're doing right now.

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 03:20 PM   #71
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

https://medium.com/@OfcrACab/confess...p-bb14d17bc759

I thought this article was pretty good

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #72
choof
Banned

Quote:

i'm not saying that cops are not to blame for issues surrounding policing in general.
the problem is that police don't enforce the laws equally in different demographics, and again, can act with impunity. even if we are able to get drug laws changed (the DEA profits off of the war on drugs btw so good luck with that shit lmao), that doesn't guarantee anything.

Quote:
this is gonna be an unfortunately controversial statement but it's human nature to follow authority even when there isn't anything significant to lose
wat
Old 06-18-2020, 08:08 PM   #73
ilikexd

Quote:
That's not a controversial statement because it's a true statement. It's an untenable argument as a moral excuse for the action because every single wrongdoing that humans do is attributable to their human nature.

When a police officer is stricken by irrational fear for their safety and kills somebody who is not a threat with unjustified force, they are doing so because it's human nature to use force during such fear. And as far as a police officer doing so is not following some innate nature, but rather their training, which is their authority, they are following their human nature by following authority.

If you want to excuse human actions for being human nature, you have to first deny human moral agency.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:29 PM   #74
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
the problem is that police don't enforce the laws equally in different demographics, and again, can act with impunity. even if we are able to get drug laws changed (the DEA profits off of the war on drugs btw so good luck with that shit lmao), that doesn't guarantee anything.
yeah, i agree with you here. it's just that i've read stuff in the thread where people were blaming cops for enforcing drug laws in the first place

Quote:
wat
( ๑◔╰╯◔)

Quote:
That's not a controversial statement because it's a true statement. It's an untenable argument as a moral excuse for the action because every single wrongdoing that humans do is attributable to their human nature.

When a police officer is stricken by irrational fear for their safety and kills somebody who is not a threat with unjustified force, they are doing so because it's human nature to use force during such fear. And as far as a police officer doing so is not following some innate nature, but rather their training, which is their authority, they are following their human nature by following authority.

If you want to excuse human actions for being human nature, you have to first deny human moral agency.
honestly idk how to continue arguing about this. i'm not the best with words
Quote:
GET DUNKED FUNNY

Old 06-18-2020, 11:42 PM   #75
roundbox
Gᴇᴛ ᴀ ɢʀɪᴘ ᴜ ɴᴇʀᴅ
FFR Veteran

Quote:
yeah, i agree with you here. it's just that i've read stuff in the thread where people were blaming cops for enforcing drug laws in the first place
I mean, there's the part where you can choose not to enforce a law you believe in. think about the repercussions of people who would be sent to jail for years for a minor drug offense
yes, a cop can choose to ignore them, but quotas are a real thing and they don't give a fuck. they're more likely to fulfill their quota instead of show compassion

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jury_nullification

this also exists within the power of citizens in the form of jury nullification

Last edited by roundbox; 06-18-2020 at 11:48 PM..
roundbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 11:50 PM   #76
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie

Quote:
this is the same person who called me a bad person for calling someone who smoked crack as a mayor on video a "crackhead mayor"

do you actually care about drug addicts or nah???

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 12:41 AM   #77
choof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
do you actually care about drug addicts or nah???
this seems like a bit of a low blow
isn't funnygril an ex addict

Last edited by choof; 06-19-2020 at 12:44 AM..
Old 06-19-2020, 01:45 AM   #78
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

y'all see why i don't like this chick now right
Quote:
GET DUNKED FUNNY

Old 06-19-2020, 01:49 AM   #79
choof
Banned

tbf a lot of negative stereotypes of "crackheads" and shit like that are perpetuated by... cops
there was a television show that ran for literally 3 decades where the whole point was that drug addicts (and sex workers) were criminals. it was called cops for christ's sake lmao

Last edited by choof; 06-19-2020 at 01:49 AM..
Old 06-19-2020, 01:58 AM   #80
Funnygurl555
T-Force's Rival
FFR Veteran

yeah but i'm not saying that cops aren't shitty i'm saying that what gave them the ability to even be shitty in the first place wasn't their doing

like i'm not arguing that we don't blame cops for their own discriminatory acts or for their role in perpetuating racism. even then though, the situation's much more complicated than "cops are racist." it's not like someone magically becomes an asshole when they do become a cop or aspire to become one. america's racist and keeps raising racist people and that won't stop by pointing fingers at cops because every damn institution-- from health care to education to housing-- is racist and became that way through the same mechanisms that brought us our shitty police force

js, my comments never tried to cast the police force in a positive light

edit: i get that my posts could be construed that way because i have a habit of under explaining but also c'mon
Quote:
GET DUNKED FUNNY

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 06-19-2020 at 01:59 AM..