Old 09-30-2014, 03:19 PM   #1141
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: 2nd Official FFR StepCon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Judge 1: I don't get what you mean by "straight jumpstream". I purposely layered my file heavily because I think it's a very hyped song that absolutely fits such a high difficulty level (without being fucking buzzes everywhere rofl). And yes there are sounds to the 16ths which let me step those parts that way to keep the density higher than in the less intense parts of the song. Also "mountains of mistakes" well you're a judge damnit your job is to point out those mistakes so people can fix them...
It means that the more prominent instruments or melodies were not straight 16ths, even if there was some other sound that was 16ths. Layering heavily to match the intensity of the music is obviously fine, but can still be criticized when it's done with non-prominent or even unnoticeable instruments/sounds. I do agree that if there is a supposed "mountain of mistakes", that at least one of each sort should be pointed out with a timestamp, or at least generally described.

Quote:
Judge 2: I don't even know if I want to answer that. Every JS pattern I modified as much as I could (which was fairly enough) and please tell me why it wasnt Meant for JS.
It's pretty much the same thing judge 1 is saying, except maybe in a more curt and less descriptive tone. He or she thinks the music doesn't merit being stepped as nonstop jumpstream, which is a pertinent criticism provided the things judge 1 did say, although in this case judge 2 should be more descriptive. If there wasn't any copypasting/repeating in the jumpstreams, well then that's an error on that judge's part, but it can reflect the degree of disinterest the judge has with the file being stepped entirely that way.

Quote:
Judge 3: I'm just concerned about that last comment, not sure what you meant by that (ending handstream?)
It's a criticism of the hand usage, that it doesn't seem to make sense (it appears to not follow anything consistently or at all, or it's somehow otherwise unmerited).
Old 09-30-2014, 03:35 PM   #1142
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Nathan, I wouldnt complain as much if those criticisms gave me like a 5 at max, but I got a 2 and two 3's. Please understand that I expected much more in-depth feedback than that subjective, non-helpful bs lol.

also "but it can reflect the degree of disinterest the judge has with the file being stepped entirely that way." Yes, that's true, but in no way that should be a determinant factor of my grade. Had I stepped the file in the same style but with 0 mistake, the judge's taste should mean close to nothing.
Old 09-30-2014, 03:51 PM   #1143
ilikexd
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Nathan, I wouldnt complain as much if those criticisms gave me like a 5 at max, but I got a 2 and two 3's. Please understand that I expected much more in-depth feedback than that subjective, non-helpful bs lol.
I can agree with you insofar as the detail of those judgements being too lacking and potentially unhelpful, but the issues that are being criticized can in fact merit such a low score, because it's a problem that would be pervading through the entire chart. As far as it being subjective... subjectivity is inseparable from judging and there is no such thing as objective judgement except for basic things like sync.

Quote:
also "but it can reflect the degree of disinterest the judge has with the file being stepped entirely that way." Yes, that's true, but in no way that should be a determinant factor of my grade. Had I stepped the file in the same style but with 0 mistake, the judge's taste should mean close to nothing.
It isn't fair to chalk it entirely up to the judge's "taste". While in theses cases the notes were pretty undescriptive and the notes just read like "I don't like this.", which is pretty regrettable, there is (likely) actual reasoning behind the disliking of the style in which it was stepped: presumably that what was layered in was excessive because it caused the chart to not reflect what was prominent or more noticeably audible in the music -- this is what I read when I see "a nuclear blast jumpstream/handstream file", although it's a pretty unhelpful way to point this out. Also, in the phrase "Had I stepped the file in the same style but with 0 mistake" you can't binarily separate things as a style choice vs. a mistake; in this case the style in which the song was stepped is the actual thing being called a mistake, not specific errors such as a ghost note, missing note/jump, etc.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:06 PM   #1144
trumaestro
I don't get no respect
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

If I were to critique the judgements I got, I would have loved to see more "hey this part was cool" or "not a bad start" or something ..encouraging. As it stands I mostly just got a list of what's wrong with my files, which helps, but is kind of discouraging imo
Old 09-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #1145
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Lemme just thank you Nathan for taking your time to clarify stuff, I appreciate.

With all that being said, I guess hi19 was initially right in his first comments about my file when he said that it's not for this kind of contest. I do still believe that I managed to make most of the file very pattern friendly in its intensity (I'm pretty sure the overall "mood" of that song warrants it, even though it Can be stepped way less heavy) and like some people said, pretty fun to play. Now if "the issues that are being criticized can in fact merit such a low score", then be it, not much I can do about that.
Old 09-30-2014, 04:10 PM   #1146
Jagakon
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gradiant View Post
I didn't play the file, but this is some pretty bad notes stuff right there.
The funny thing about it is, is there any song that's meant to be stepped as an icyworld nuclear blast file?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:53 PM   #1147
t-rogdor
tane orb

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagakon View Post
The funny thing about it is, is there any song that's meant to be stepped as an icyworld nuclear blast file?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ered_the_worst
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.

Last edited by t-rogdor; 09-30-2014 at 04:54 PM..
Old 09-30-2014, 04:57 PM   #1148
smartdude1212
2 is poo
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

4th post from you and I wholeheartedly agree -- are you a magician?
Old 09-30-2014, 05:10 PM   #1149
Tidus810
slimy, yet ... satisfying

If I got a [missing review] should I just assumed my file was judged by someone who was competing while judging? Kinda indifferent I guess.
Old 09-30-2014, 05:48 PM   #1150
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tidus810 View Post
If I got a [missing review] should I just assumed my file was judged by someone who was competing while judging? Kinda indifferent I guess.
There are 3-4 judges notes missing because there was little/no time for those judges at deadline, so they just gave ratings.
Old 09-30-2014, 07:33 PM   #1151
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumaestro View Post
If I were to critique the judgements I got, I would have loved to see more "hey this part was cool" or "not a bad start" or something ..encouraging. As it stands I mostly just got a list of what's wrong with my files, which helps, but is kind of discouraging imo
You know what's discouraging? This review:

Wheelpower and go - 4/10

ï random 8th note to accent the car sample, followed by a not-so-cleanly charted solo (not following right rhythm), into a spotty layered chorus, (jumps on main sounds, then a chain of jumps at 35.7?) with copy pasted sections that include awkward 32nd patterns (i.e, 35s, 41s, 61.548, etc.) into a horrendously charted solo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 09-30-2014, 07:35 PM   #1152
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Also, for your greatest entertainment, here are the judges that were confused by Xanthystrauma:

F12:
???

Palms Read (F12) - 1/10
file is the wrong bpm. it's not even close either -- it's like 40 bpm off. none of the file makes any sense as a result. it's just arrows to nothing.

Palms Read (F12)
[1/10]
- Xanthystrauma. I'm wondering why this stepfile in particular was used for Palms Read.

Palms Read (F12) - 0

Chart makes no sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

Old 10-1-2014, 07:33 PM   #1153
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

My question is why you sent that in the first place Mario.
Old 10-3-2014, 03:57 PM   #1154
hi19hi19
lol happy
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Hate to be bumping this thread again but are we ever going to learn which files AJ and rog chose to queue?

That makes a big impact on everyone else's song choice so I feel it should be public by now...

Old 10-3-2014, 04:33 PM   #1155
t-rogdor
tane orb

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

i'm still working on fixing mine up. I'd imagine you'll find out once we're done fucking around with em
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
Closed Thread