Old 10-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
Vanilla Mnm
cavs
FFR Veteran

Default Sleep Paralysis

Hellloooo everyone. Well, my friend was talking to me yesterday and he was telling me how he experienced something called 'Sleep Paralysis' and he was telling me all about it and I watched a video about it and then I went to sleep last night and it happened to myself. I was just laying there in like 'dream mode' and I could see everything, but I could not move, talk, or do anything, just look around. It was insane. I was just wondering, has anyone ever experienced it and what has happened if you have? My friend told me when it happened to him some guy was about to like chop his foot off, but he couldn't do anything about it. (This guy obviously wasn't real, but he was dreaming while being awake so he thought it was)

If you don't know what Sleep Paralysis is here's a video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCSqT5nZ9n4

There's also another thing called Astral Projection, I'm sure a lot of people have heard of it, but has anyone ever experienced it?
Vanilla Mnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:41 AM   #2
A2P
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to A2P
Default Re: Sleep Paralysis

Oh god

Sleep paralysis is probably one of the scariest things to experience
A2P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Dr Tran
Banned

i havent but i want to
Dr Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #4
Coolboyrulez0
VICES
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Tran View Post
i havent but i want to
Ditto, sounds like fun. >:]

Last edited by Coolboyrulez0; 10-18-2009 at 10:53 AM..
Coolboyrulez0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:51 AM   #5
dood gone krazee
RATOOOOOOOOO
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to dood gone krazee Send a message via MSN to dood gone krazee

Agree'd, I do not like sleep paralysis. Its actually happened quite a few times to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Thomas View Post
Dood... you done gone got yourself krazee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsona View Post
I hear back in 12 AD Jesus Himself sent an FGO to Tass and it got a 9 by JX

"[++] 9/10
Very good file but not japanese enough ps hi jesus"
dood gone krazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:00 AM   #6
Devilution
doin' just fine
FFR Veteran

I had trouble sleeping for a long period of time and this happened a couple times.. it only lasts a few seconds with me but I literally thought I was about to die one time. I remember trying to yell for help but I couldn't
Devilution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:20 AM   #7
jellygod
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jellygod Send a message via Skype™ to jellygod

i get it every couple of months, usually happens when i get a crappy nights rest then take a nap in the middle of the day.

RETIRED
Rank 8 in regional ranking(Great Lakes)
"Never argue with stupid people, they drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
jellygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
Vanilla Mnm
cavs
FFR Veteran

It's happened multiple times to me, but last night was just weird because my friend was just telling me about it. When it happened before, I had no idea what it was, but I remember waking up and I couldn't move or anything and I like looked in front of me and I saw the phone next to my brother and all of a sudden it started to like glow or something and then I heard all these 911 calls and conversations of these people and stuff. And another time this snake like came into my room and it was huge & I tried to get up, but I couldn't and I was so terrified because I'm so scared of snakes haha
Old 10-18-2009, 12:02 PM   #9
JenovaSephiroth
pink dragon irl
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Happened to me once, hated it lol
JenovaSephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
Adamaja456
Absurd
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Adamaja456 Send a message via MSN to Adamaja456 Send a message via Yahoo to Adamaja456 Send a message via Skype™ to Adamaja456

i havent had it happen to me lately, but happened quite a few times when i was younger. such a weird experience. i dont like it :P

582 Tier Points(Tier 3)
602 AAAs(517+23+62)
People who bought me subscriptions/tokens:
DrugstoreCowboy(1 month) ELRayford(3 months)
~GJampa(3 months) Jerry DB(3 months)
4th place in Gamewhore Competition(3 months)
Phynx(FGJ album and Dendrite V2)
dragon890x(1 year) Slide(1 year)
Adamaja456 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:36 PM   #11
simulater10
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to simulater10

I pretty much never dream so I think this has never happened to me and probably won't. Sounds pretty crazy.

simulater10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:40 PM   #12
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

One of the scariest things I've ever experienced- I had it very frequently as a child.

One one occasion that has recurred MANY times, it goes as so (in the "dream"):

I'm lying in my bed, tucked in, though the blankets feel cold. The room is very dark but I can still see the door and the room in my peripheral vision. The room is damp and dark gray, with mold up along the walls, peeling down them. My eyes are fixed on the door, which is the same colour as the demonic room around me. I see the knob turn ever so vividly, and the door begins to open very very slowly (the entire of process of opening the door felt like about 5 minutes total). As it opened the door it would stop to reveal each eye for about 30 seconds, a white piercing eye that was clearly visible in the dark. It had no eyelids, and it's hair was lacking and greasy, yet very long, though there was very few strings of it's hair attached to it's peeling gray scalp. It featured a glasgow smile revealing it's horrible jaws, and it's lips were peeled off- it's nose was pressed into its face as well. It was wearing a very bad looking coat, and I couldn't see underneath it's chest, so it appeared to be floating. Once the door opened to reveal the entire creature, it slowly made it's way towards me, floating, with it's menacing smile. There was absolutely no sound around me, not even the sound of silence inside my own brain. I tried to scream, as loud as I could. All I could feel was the sternum flexing- no air could escape. I couldn't even breathe. I tried harder and harder to scream as it inched closer, and as it was inches from my face it's jaws opened to the size of my head. As the blackness of it's throat surrounded me, still trying to scream, I woke up, shaking and crying and still screaming. This happened at least 30 times when I was a kid, that exact sleep paralysis vision.

Another one that was slightly more relaxed was me- and again, young, and on a tricycle. I was on the top of a skyscraper, so high up that I could not even see the ground around me. The top of the skyscraper that I was on was flat, only it has a slant in it as if to roll the rain off it. Staring at the edge, my heart pounding, my wheels began to move towards the sunny cliff of the skyscraper. Slowly. Heart beating. It wasn't even the slope of the roof- my feet were slowly pedaling. This simply continued until I reached the edge and fell, waking up with that "jump" that I'm sure we've all experienced at one point.

Last edited by Spenner; 10-18-2009 at 12:43 PM..
Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #13
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

I've always experimented with dreams. I have experienced many things, including astral projection, obe's, what have you, and it is phenomenal. I've been meditating, doing body exercises for quite some time and I can basically have lucid dreams on command. I've never had this "sleep paralysis", I always feel very free... I also like the rush of a nightmare. In fact I love it, and will try to spur on the nightmares sometimes.

Try meditating before bed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:00 PM   #14
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syhto View Post
I also like the rush of a nightmare. In fact I love it, and will try to spur on the nightmares sometimes.
Yes, I love nightmares- and the fact that the lucidity of my dreams have become so common, it really adds excitement to the situation. Lately things have become so realistic that I wake up the next morning completely convinced that the events of the dream have happened. Some dreams just seem straightforward and logical- conversation wise, visually, etc. Other dreams become something of a twisted acid trip, but everyone gets those. Oh yeah, and I typically remember every nightmare I have with every little nuance of detail, so that's another reason why I like them.

For some reason lately the visual quality of my dreams have been phenomenal- camera angle changes, retouching on the things I see, generally an artistic look to everything. I also get a surround sound movie theatre feel in some as well.

God I love dreams. Sleep paralysis is just a bad feeling though, it doesn't give you that rush of adrenaline as much as it does fear for your life.

Just remembering now I have had sleep paralysis recently... I might post it later. It was odd, it started as a dream and developed into a sleep paralysis. Very odd, but it was very neat.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:10 PM   #15
Vanilla Mnm
cavs
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syhto View Post
I've always experimented with dreams. I have experienced many things, including astral projection, obe's, what have you, and it is phenomenal. I've been meditating, doing body exercises for quite some time and I can basically have lucid dreams on command. I've never had this "sleep paralysis", I always feel very free... I also like the rush of a nightmare. In fact I love it, and will try to spur on the nightmares sometimes.

Try meditating before bed.
Meditating is part of an Astral Projection, I think. I don't know much about it, but I think you meditate to slow down your heart rate and then look at an object for an amount of time and eventually you'll be forced asleep or something, but you'll still be able to see the object and then I forgot what you do after it, but I think that's part of it haha
Old 10-18-2009, 01:35 PM   #16
funmonkey54
The Chill Keeper
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to funmonkey54

Only happened to me once majorly when I dreamed I was about to go to bed and I found my girlfriend tied up on the floor. There was a man wearing a blank mask standing over her. In the dream my girlfriend and I had 2 kids who were tied by their wrists to the wall and the man had cut out their stomachs and they were just hanging there dead with the blood all over their white night clothes. I watched the man beat my girlfriend in the face then kill her execution style while she was on her knees. When I snapped out of it I felt an overwhelming urge to kill myself.

Single scariest moment of my life. Same situation occurred with the same identical dream 2 years apart from each other.

One other dream I have had like this is strange. I'm in my room but everything is gray. I look around and all I can see is gray normal things. Then I hear a small jingle and look over and see a small green piece of cloth poking from beneath the closet door. I open it and look in to find a little girl in a joker suit (Not from batman. She has a little green top on and green cloth curly shoes with a body suit under it that is gray with dray-green stripes up the whole body of it. Then a joker hat on.) I see she looks scared and sad, so I reach out to touch her. My finger tip touches her finger tip as I offer my hand to her so that she might get up. In that split second I run through every major memory in my life that I have (Actual memories) and see her off in places throughout the scene of them hiding scared and watching. I feel pain all over and this emotional weight in my chest as if what I felt was the cold reality of death overcoming my entire soul. I pull away and am thrown back by the sheer weight of emotional pain in my chest against the floor where I stare at her and she slowly disappears. I crawl into her place curled up and overtaken by this weight. I look down and realize that I am wearing that outfit she wore and am in her same place staring out of my closet. I close the door as the darkness around me for some reason is comforting. I hear my mother's voice call out saying good night and watch the small shadows along the floor from the rooms light peaking beneath the door and see footsteps as a small child (me) climbs into bed. I slide the tip of my shoe under the door a little and then I wake up. I still feel the weight when I wake up.

Last edited by funmonkey54; 10-18-2009 at 01:59 PM..
funmonkey54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:39 PM   #17
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I experienced several sleep paralysis only after hearing about what it actually is.

Since I knew why I couldn't move my body and what to do, it was okay,

except I sucked at controlling my mind to actually move around while having sleep paralysis (I mean in dream).

Proud member of Team No

Last edited by leonid; 10-18-2009 at 01:53 PM..
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:50 PM   #18
AC1speakerbox
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to AC1speakerbox Send a message via MSN to AC1speakerbox

I pretty much tl;dr'ed every post after the first few, so sorry if this is a repeat question.

Are people engaged in sleep paralysis capable of rational thought?
If so, shouldn't they be able to think, "oh, this is that sleep paralysis **** I heard about,"?
AC1speakerbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #19
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC1speakerbox View Post
Are people engaged in sleep paralysis capable of rational thought?
If so, shouldn't they be able to think, "oh, this is that sleep paralysis **** I heard about,"?
Yes. Read my post just above you..

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:53 PM   #20
Syhto
BuMP it
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Syhto

I'd imagine it really depends on the person and the specific experience. Based on how experienced you are with lucid dreaming, etc, you could definitely do that. I don't think it has anything to do with the thought process at all, just the physical aspect of it. So, yes you could think that. But it doesn't mean you will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tao of Dossar
I never self-reflect, and therefore, I have no negative thoughts about myself. However I am also aware about my successes.
Syhto is offline   Reply With Quote