Old 09-21-2014, 02:36 PM   #1
Shouka
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default First time cutting weight

I started my cut on August 21st of this year and in the past month I've gone from 177lbs to 165lbs. My original goal was to make it to 160, but I've decided to bail because at my current rate that would require cutting through midterms. Furthermore, I've decided that I don't like feeling hungry all of the time.

Because this was my first time cutting weight since I started lifting again, I probably made a lot of mistakes. Not much thought was put into planning this out. I calculated my BMR to be about 1875kcal and using the activity multiplier I calculated my TDEE to be about 2800kcal. Then I decided that limiting myself to 2000kcal a day would be a good start and thought that I'd lose about 1-2 lbs a week as a result. I probably should've noticed that something was amiss after learning how little 2000kcal actually is. I'm pretty sure that I ate almost double that amount before starting the cut. Anyways, instead of losing 1-2lbs a week I lost almost 3lbs each week. It's hard to tell if losing weight so quickly has resulted in significant muscle loss. My lifts have not been hurt, but I don't really look any more "shredded" than before.

I only consumed about 80-110 grams of protein per day which may have been a little low. I found it quite difficult to actually consume 1g/lb bodyweight without going over 2000kcal and not consuming a lot of chicken and protein shakes.

Anyways, this cut will continue until Friday of this coming week and then I'm done.
Old 09-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #2
Reach
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Reach Send a message via MSN to Reach
Default Re: First time cutting weight

The worst part about cutting is managing protein intake and dealing with hunger. It's annoying to have to eat so much god damn protein every day.

I'll say this though; I've never noticed muscle loss on ~100 grams protein a day while cutting in the early stages of cutting.

I only think high protein intake really matters when you start to get really lean, i.e. under 11-12% body fat, as essential fat starts to proportionally become quite high and the body becomes resistant to burning fat (i.e. is more likely to burn muscle), thus mandating a higher protein intake.
Old 10-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #3
MosaicMan3
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: First time cutting weight

When cutting weight, I tend to up my fats. I know it's 9kcal/gram but it curbs my hunger. Before RPS nationals last year I cut from ~166 to 146.6 in 3 weeks. A lot of that was water weight, however my BF % dropped about 3%.

My rule of thumb is Carbs in the AM, Protein at Noon, Fats in the PM. You'll utilize all the carbs you need when eating them so early on, I ingest protein when I'm relatively most active. And eat fats before bed to slow down digestion so my body is never in a state of fasting.