Old 12-19-2006, 08:10 AM   #22
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall
Default Re: Recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
scryed sucks really bad
Im two episodes in and I have to be honest. Although I think your being a bit over the top I will say that so far I'm not really that impressed. Reminds me of Tokyo Underground a bit. I will still watch it to the end through though. Ok. Another one I will recommend that has already been mentioned is Stellvia. I also started watching that. I think it's pretty cool so far.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 10:47 AM   #23
Squeek
let it snow~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Meh. It takes a certain audience to like S-cry-ed. Kefit and I liked it (I think?) but Omega did not.

I just loved the pace of the show. Screw the plot. Everything happens at insanely fast speeds. That's awesome.

Stellvia is pretty much my guarantee to be great. It's my second favorite show right behind One Piece. I know how afraid you all are of One Piece for no real reason, so it's obviously the best alternative.

PS guyzzzzzzzzzz

Winter break is coming up. One Piece is 97 hours long. Need a good time waster?
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 11:13 AM   #24
SethSquall
FFR Player

Yea. I'll recommend Stellvia too. It's awesome. I'm a couple of episodes in. The characters are awesome.

Oh and I can't wait to meet the guy Naruto stole the character design from for Kakashi.

Last edited by SethSquall; 12-20-2006 at 11:20 AM..
Old 12-28-2006, 04:04 PM   #25
lord_carbo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to lord_carbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Winter break is coming up. One Piece is 97 hours long. Need a good time waster?
More like Disgaea 2
Old 12-28-2006, 05:53 PM   #26
Angel Shiyue
FFR Player

What, no love for Comic Party? It's a romantic comedy that I -adore-.

What about Escaflowne, you guys? The sub version, not dubbed. It's mecha/medieval fantasy that's really sweet.
Angel Shiyue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 06:44 PM   #27
cC@Zz
FFR Player

I thought comic party was okay.
Old 12-29-2006, 08:42 AM   #28
SethSquall
FFR Player

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=6251

Air Gear

Age rating: Teenagers (May contain bloody violence, bad language, nudity)

Genres: Shounen, Sports

Plot Summary: Air Gear is about a typical 15 year old, Minami Itsuki aka Ikki, the leader of East Side Gunz, Higachu Junior High school gang. After being utterly humiliated by a street gang of Storm Riders using Air Treck (abbreviated as AT), the Noyamano siblings gave him a pair of Air Treck and helped him to deal with them. When the incident is over, he finds that he really likes the feeling of "flying" and he is sucked into the world of Air Treck. In the earliest part of the story, it mainly focus with Ikki finding his footing as a Storm Rider among with little episodes of his friends' lives. Later, the story is further developed to look into the issues of the AT world when Akito and Agito appear.

I'm about three episodes in and I'm loving it. It is a typical Shounen like but it's been a blast so far. Maybe I love this anime because it's quite a bit like the game Jet Set Radio. I loved that game. Anyway. I will recommend Air Gear. Here is a short introduction to some characters in the same way the anime introduces them.

Edit: Oh and the music is alright too. OP + ED, Plus OST.

Tokyo Mew Mew

Age rating: All Ages (Nothing objectionable)
Genres: Adventure, Comedy, Magical Girl, Romance, Science Fiction, Shoujo, Supernatural.

Plot Summary: On her first date with the cutest boy in school, Ichigo is zapped by a mysterious ray that scrambles her DNA with that of the endangered Iriomote wildcat. The next day, Ichigo discovers that she has developed the agility (and occasionally the ears and tail) of a cat, as well as the power to transform into a pink-haired superheroine, Mew Ichigo. She and four other girls, each endowed with the genes of a different "Red Data" animal, have been selected for the top-secret Mew Project, which aims to protect the Earth from an alien menace known as Deep Blue.

I saw one or two episodes of this show a while back. I remember I liked them, I never got round to watching more though. I have now though and I'm glad I did. Really cute anime. I shall recommend it.

I'm going to stop recommending for a while now I think. I'm watching Stellvia, S-Cry-Ed, Air Gear, One Piece and Tokyo Mew Mew now. Bit off quite a lot of anime to watch at the same time I think.

Last edited by SethSquall; 01-18-2007 at 12:33 PM..
Old 01-1-2007, 11:34 PM   #29
hoochan
woah shrooms
FFR Veteran

S-Cry-ED is basically for people who like loads of action, lots of fighting, and then more fighting. Its one of those shows that make you wanna get up and go beat the shyt out of the next person you walk by.
hoochan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2007, 01:24 AM   #30
Squeek
let it snow~
FFR Veteran

Hoo: that's about right, yeah.

Seth: TMM really isn't that good... just a generic mahou shoujo anime except with a catgirl.
Old 01-2-2007, 01:52 AM   #31
TD_Project
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to TD_Project Send a message via MSN to TD_Project Send a message via Yahoo to TD_Project

Initial D:

Overall: 9/10

I know this has already been mentioned, but it was just the title that was mentioned basically. And I am not really a fan of anime but this one caught my attention, now I read the manga and watched the live action movie Initial D. Japanese though. Moving on:

ripped from wikipedia - The anime and manga focus on the world of illegal Japanese street racing, where all the action is concentrated in the mountain passes (called Tōge) and never in cities nor urban areas, and the drift racing style is emphasized in particular. Keiichi Tsuchiya helps with editorial supervision. The story is centered around the Japanese prefecture of Gunma, more specifically on several mountains in the prefecture and in and their surrounding cities and towns. Although some of the names of the locations the characters race in have been fictionalized all of the locations in the series are based on actual locations in Gunma Prefecture.

The first stage has the introduction of course, and it is where they introduce Takumi Fujiwara who delivers Tofu on the mountain passes of Akina. He gets skilled enough without realising it, and enters a race on the promise that he gets to use his dad's AE86 (1986 Toyota Corolla Sprinter Trueno) for the following day. He ends up being good, the story goes on from there with him gaining attention and racing against other well known racers.

Second stage's graphics are a lot better, the Cell Shading animation of the cars look a bit better, and the animation of the characters remained basically the same. I have not seen second stage so I cannot give a better glimpse.

Third stage's appearance is the same, however i have not seen this stage either, just screenshots.

Fourth stage focuses on Takumi's racing team, Project D as they travel from mountain to mountain racing against other racers in their own territory. The adrenaline the fourth stage can give you is amazing, I was almost off my seat. Even the non-racing group liked this stage due to its focus also on romance and life issues. Fourth stage's animation is extremely well done, and pulls you into it's world it creates.

Special stage focuses on two girls, who race in a blue Nissan Sil-Eighty (Nissan 180SX with a Silvia front fascia). I haven't seen this either.

Good recommendations:
Live action movie: Very well done. Although the ending is kind of cheesy.
Card Game: Haven't played it but the concept seems interesting
Manga: Very well done animation. And the humor in the manga made me laugh on multiple occasions. However the anime does minorly differ from the manga.
Anime Series: Tokyopop's english version is terrible. They Americanize names (Itsuke = Iggy, Takumi = Tak) just so viewers in North America can relate a bit easier. And the music they dubbed over with is horrible.
Arcade Stage: Basically the Initial D arcade, you can race as any character after you unlock them all, and you save by buying an Initial D card. You can save your car and aftermarket parts on this card.

The eurobeat music in Initial D is awesome, by the way. But I won't expand on this anymore, I took up too much space with this post.

EDIT: Another anime worth mentioning. Samurai Pizza Cats. I remember that back when i was a kid.

Last edited by TD_Project; 01-2-2007 at 02:01 AM..
TD_Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-2-2007, 10:37 AM   #32
SethSquall
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
Seth: TMM really isn't that good... just a generic mahou shoujo anime except with a catgirl.
True, very generic mahou shoujo. I've been watching the episodes and loving them though so meh. It's not CCS but it's still awesome. I find TMM unbelievable cute.

Edit: Since I've watch half the episodes I'll say Air Gear is retarded, still I'm really enjoying watching though. It can be hilarious. Plus, it has this character called Agito, I think he's awesome.

Edit Edit: I've finished watching Air Gear. The ending was really nice but yet....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sort of spoiler, just being cautious
weird, it ends at like what you would think half the story line would be. It's like they just made half a series. I hope there's a sequel.

Last edited by SethSquall; 01-2-2007 at 03:50 PM..
Old 01-4-2007, 01:49 AM   #33
Tasuke
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tasuke Send a message via MSN to Tasuke

Air Gear is neat. The Story was ripped off halfway through it though.
The manga continues for like at least 30 more episodes, so I think they just didn't want to end up with random pointless skating. But the Ending theme is just so great, that i made me want to watch the entire episode just so I could hear it. I recommend that you find a way to get the manga(buying it or otherwise), because the manga is probably better overall.
Old 01-4-2007, 02:06 AM   #34
Squeek
let it snow~
FFR Veteran

Most anime does that to you. It'll air for a season but not get good enough airtime or popularity to keep it up for any longer.

Negima and Love Hina are a prime example of this. The manga goes on for at least six seasons. They chose to air one. And they chose to air that one season before the manga even ended, so it's either make up an ending or stop halfway through (which Tenjou Tenge did as well).

Speaking of Tenjou Tenge, it sucks. I'm sure the manga is good, but the anime sucks. It's like "hey, here're these two fellas. Check them out. One of them is rly cool and so is the other and he's black which makes him even cooler. now here're some flashbacks about insignificant characters. And more. and more. more. more. the series is over."
Old 01-4-2007, 02:11 AM   #35
Kilgamayan
Super Scooter Happy
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Kilgamayan

oh my god someone did NOT just recommend tokyo mew mew

good lord, man

ichigo is screwable sure but that's the only thing the show has going for it
I watched clouds awobbly from the floor o' that kayak. Souls cross ages like clouds cross skies, an' tho' a cloud's shape nor hue nor size don't stay the same, it's still a cloud an' so is a soul. Who can say where the cloud's blowed from or who the soul'll be 'morrow? Only Sonmi the east an' the west an' the compass an' the atlas, yay, only the atlas o' clouds.
Kilgamayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-4-2007, 02:20 AM   #36
Omeganitros
auauauau
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

What we need here is acontest, to see who can find the LAMEST ANIME IN EXISTENCE. I mean, like, retardedly gay stuff here. Massively lame anime.

That would be a cool contest. (cough cough)
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-4-2007, 02:41 AM   #37
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD_Project View Post
EDIT: Another anime worth mentioning. Samurai Pizza Cats. I remember that back when i was a kid.
o hi. Don't look at my username or avatar or anything.

My recommendations (which also happen to be my two favorite animes):

The Irresponsible Captain Tylor - Comedy/Science Fiction

A twenty-year-old fellow who wanders the streets joins the United Planets Space Force to live "the easy life". He appears to be a bumbling fool, but his extremely good luck gets him promoted as a joke to be the captain of a degenerate ship which attracts rejects from the force. As the superior of very staunchly military lieutenants and the commander of a very rebellious group of marines, everyone hates him, but his easygoing nature keeps him happy at all times. They learn to work together and have many dealings with commanders, admirals, and even the empress of the enemy Raalgon empire.

VERY charming. Not the most hilarious show, but it will have you laughing. Its highlight is character development. By the end of the series, you'll have fallen in love with every character except the ones you hate with a burning passion. Just thinking about it fills me with warmth. Also, part 1 of the four-movie OVA series is entitled "An Exceptional Episode" and is aptly named, as it is the best single episode of any series I've ever seen, without question (rivaled only by episode 24 of Trigun).

Rating: 9/10

Saber Marionette J - Adventure/Comedy

Premise: Long ago, human settlers crash-landed on Terra 2. Only six guys survived, and they repopulated the planet with clones (genetically altered, save for the leaders of the six nation-states). Women are represented by Marionettes, robots that act as robots. Otaru, a run-of-the-mill guy living in Japoness, stumbles upon three marionettes that act as humans; they smile, laugh, and act independently because they have special Maiden Circuits.

Very thin plot summary: They have wacky adventures at first, and the first half keeps a lighthearted tone. Comic relief is plentiful throughout the series, even when the main story begins to unfold, as Faust, the leader of Gartlant, and his three Saber Dolls with maiden circuits, begins to try to take over the others. Otaru and his girls are commissioned to defeat them.

Notes: The three girls literally grow and mature through the program, and the show does a superb job of showing it, especially with Lime (who has the most childlike personality and is voiced by Megumi Hayashibara). The opposites of Otaru and Faust are denoted very well, too. It's the only anime to ever make me cry (Samurai Pizza Cats made me tear up), and the thematic development throughout the series is unmatched, in my opinion. Rating combined with the other parts.

Saber Marionette J-X

An entirely new twenty-six episode encore of SMJ. Otaru and the gang take a trip to Xian, where **** hits the fan and the group becomes separated. The girls lose their memories and Otaru becomes seriously ill. The girls also begin to doubt their existences and question their places. More story and less thematic development in this one, but that's only because most of it was used in the original series. What of it that is done here is very important and VERY well done, though. Fantastic ending, too.

Saber Marionette R

Predecessor of the other series, this is a three-episode junket of the original radio show. Almost no connections to the others, save for the three names of the main girls. MUCH darker in tone and content, but a very good watch.

Overall rating: 9.5/10

EDIT:

His and Her Circumstances/Kareshi Kanojyo no Jijyo/Kare Kano - High School Romance type

Yukino Miyazawa is a stellar student. She excels in studies and sports and is envied by everyone. Suddenly, Souichiro Arima transfers in and is a stellar student and athlete who just barely beats Yukino in the midterm exams. Great tension between the two, competitive on Yukino's side and irritated on Arima's, quickly leads to infatuation and the two begin dating. They then both decide to let down their plastic exteriors and become more true to themselves. The rest of the series focuses on their relationship as it grows.

Directed (for the most part) by Hideaki Anno, a great job is done with everything that's not dialog. The scenery shots are often almost exactly like those from Evangelion and are frequently very symbolic. Also, the show goes bat**** crazy with titles all over the screen at times. Characters also have many different styles of animation to reflect their mood.

It's very cute and certainly gives off the warmth of a high school romance while still being able to address deep, darker issues of identity and perception.

Overall, a fantastic show, despite a glaring flaw with a big part of the ending. 8.5/10

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.

Last edited by GuidoHunter; 01-4-2007 at 03:30 AM..
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-4-2007, 07:37 AM   #38
SethSquall
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgamayan View Post
Ichigo is screwable sure but that's the only thing the show has going for it
That's why I'm watching it. Awesomely cute.

Edit: Anyone seen D.Gray-Man? Something like that anyway. Looks alright, think I might check it out.

Last edited by SethSquall; 01-4-2007 at 08:22 AM..
Old 01-8-2007, 11:56 PM   #39
Squeek
let it snow~
FFR Veteran

I finally got an updated chapter on one of the mangas I'm currently following. I'll go ahead and add my manga of choice to the list.

Mahou Sensei Negima - Magical Teacher Negima. The anime wasn't that great. The manga is superb. The story is fantastic. The art is well-done. The characters are unique and numerous. All-in-all, it's my second favorite manga, short of...

One Piece - You didn't see this coming? The manga is essentially the same thing as the anime, but in words!
Old 01-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #40
SethSquall
FFR Player

Finished watching Stellvia. I loved it. The first couple of episode where a bit slow for me and there wasn't anything that gripping for me. Although, I highly enjoyed watching it and had a lot of fun in doing so, which matter the most to me. I'll stick with my recommendation of it.