Old 07-25-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
yo man im awesome
soleil ardent
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Adobe Flash is Ending

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-ad...-idUSKBN1AA22R

Don't worry it's not too immediate, but from what the news is saying, Adobe Flash will no longer be updated/supported by then end of 2020.

Does this mean that FFR would essentially have to create new, non-Flash based Engine finally, if it intended to survive? Would the old engines still be accessible and usable after this point, and if so, would they still be updatable or left in stasis?

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
you double dad loving dipshit
Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
dammit now i have to smoke a picture of choof out of a bong
Quote:
Originally Posted by smartdude1212 View Post
I can't be the only guy who has wondered what it'd be like to menstruate all over the shower.
yo man im awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:40 PM   #2
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: Adobe Flash is Ending

Just as long as browsers will continue to run flash content with user consent, we'll be fine I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:01 PM   #3
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Just as long as browsers will continue to run flash content with user consent, we'll be fine I think.
This is true, but I think the major browsers are beginning to phase out Flash support in favor of HTML5

Flash/Shockwave players will still support these kinds of files, but I don't think the plugins will be natively supported by Chrome or Firefox, for example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 04:26 PM   #4
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I dunno, cant play anymore. XD My new desktop wont play without lag.
Old 07-25-2017, 05:03 PM   #5
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

news -flash-, flash ended 10 years ago
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:24 PM   #6
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Although it's not too immediate, we now have a date to work towards if we want to, and have the developer power to, completely remove the Flash aspect from the game engine. Of course, R^3 and the legacy engines will always be accessible without opening a browser through the use of standalones.

I am looking into how standalones (aka debug player or content debuggers) will be distributed after Flash is no longer supported by Adobe. This is a problem because we cannot legally link to third-party downloads, or host downloads for flash player without a license to host them on our website. I have applied for this license, however I have not received a response from Adobe since July 24th, 2016. In light of this breaking news, I will be re-submitting my application.

Here is a summary of the Flash support roadmap by company I found on r/programming:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adobe
Adobe is planning to end-of-life Flash. Specifically, we will stop updating and distributing the Flash Player at the end of 2020 and encourage content creators to migrate any existing Flash content to these new open formats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Google
Chrome will continue phasing out Flash over the next few years, first by asking for your permission to run Flash in more situations, and eventually disabling it by default. We will remove Flash completely from Chrome toward the end of 2020.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mozilla
Starting next month, users will choose which websites are able to run the Flash plugin. Flash will be disabled by default for most users in 2019, and only users running the Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) will be able to continue using Flash through the final end-of-life at the end of 2020. In order to preserve user security, once Flash is no longer supported by Adobe security patches, no version of Firefox will load the plugin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microsoft
In mid to late 2018, we will update Microsoft Edge to require permission for Flash to be run each session. Internet Explorer will continue to allow Flash for all sites in 2018.

In mid to late 2019, we will disable Flash by default in both Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer. Users will be able to re-enable Flash in both browsers. When re-enabled, Microsoft Edge will continue to require approval for Flash on a site-by-site basis.

By the end of 2020, we will remove the ability to run Adobe Flash in Microsoft Edge and Internet Explorer across all supported versions of Microsoft Windows. Users will no longer have any ability to enable or run Flash.

Last edited by PrawnSkunk; 07-25-2017 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: Typo
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #7
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

That's pretty dumb to just outright make it so no one can even load flash stuff in browser anymore if that's true.

So much for preserving...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:12 PM   #8
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

considering it is bad for security, of course they are gonna stop
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class
Rapta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:19 PM   #9
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

security is overrated anyway, i vote we return to an era where life expectancy is 24 and i could consider my life thus far as wholly accomplished
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:56 PM   #10
gold stinger
Signature Extraordinare~~
Song Submission & Events Manager
Game ManagerEvent StaffSimfile JudgeFFR Wiki StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to gold stinger

I wonder how this will be handled regarding the large volume of animation projects, videos, and games across the internet that run in the swf format or a similar format requiring flash.

Can't even begin to think about how much this affects the internet until you take into consideration some of the biggest websites to take a hit from this such as Newgrounds, Kongregate, Armorgames, and the such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrawnSkunk View Post
I am looking into how standalones (aka debug player or content debuggers) will be distributed after Flash is no longer supported by Adobe. This is a problem because we cannot legally link to third-party downloads, or host downloads for flash player without a license to host them on our website. I have applied for this license, however I have not received a response from Adobe since July 24th, 2016. In light of this breaking news, I will be re-submitting my application.
I don't really see why they would take down download links for them. Projectors are more or less already not updated/maintained, and they play a huge role in accessing swf content. They might play an even bigger role given this deadline for flash.

- Tosh 2014

Last edited by gold stinger; 07-26-2017 at 12:04 AM..
gold stinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 10:04 PM   #11
Soundwave-
Carry your failures proud
FFR Veteran

This can only be a good thing, in basically every aspect, for both FFR and in general.

Flash will not die. It will have a fixed runtime specification, which means dev tools and third-party projectors will update and remain up-to-date... Hopefully.

If not, 3rd party tools can already run, edit, and even link to executable formats sufficiently for FFR's purposes.

That being said, with 2 years warning, the port should just happen. It's long awaited, all executable web formats other than javascript are dying as they should, and in the scheme of FFR's lifetime, it wouldn't even be that big of an undertaking.
Originally Posted by [11:38 PM] Hakulyte
only person who can legit tilt me is like YoshL
Quote:
Originally Posted by スンファンさん
右に3回回らない限り間違います。
Soundwave- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 01:00 AM   #12
Coolgamer
Old-School Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Coolgamer Send a message via MSN to Coolgamer Send a message via Skype™ to Coolgamer

This is a terrible thing. Firefox was already dead to me when they changed the permissive plugin model.

Taking away user choice and freedom is never a good idea, fine, don't bundle it but it should be the end user choice to install and run flash given the sheer amount of content.

I used to have a standalone of FFR, but I need it again if anyone has a copy. I tried the version on the stick but it doesn't get past loading data and modules. I KNOW I have an offline version when ffr was down.

Worst comes to worst, hopefully something can be released of the current build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthlight View Post
St1cky only proves that he has no life and that his parents are alcoholics. They probably abused him with rubber duckies when he was a baby. Why else would you exploit scores on FFR?

Last edited by Coolgamer; 07-29-2017 at 01:06 AM..
Coolgamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 02:10 AM   #13
Soundwave-
Carry your failures proud
FFR Veteran

I have builds but no point in passing it around like it isn't something that two seconds of googling and a bit of work can get you.

As for why browsers are dropping flash all together, that's likely related to the general mess that plugin APIs are right now. It's their fault, but also I don't blame them.

2 years is enough time for people to figure it out.
Originally Posted by [11:38 PM] Hakulyte
only person who can legit tilt me is like YoshL
Quote:
Originally Posted by スンファンさん
右に3回回らない限り間違います。
Soundwave- is offline   Reply With Quote