Old 12-30-2018, 12:37 PM   #261
mellonxcollie
Sectional Moderator
TGB Queen
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to mellonxcollie Send a message via MSN to mellonxcollie Send a message via Skype™ to mellonxcollie
Default Re: Unpopular gaming opinions thread

games that don't look cute aren't worth playing

games with no female characters aren't worth playing

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
people like you are how trump gets elected
mellonxcollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 12:46 PM   #262
SputnikOwns
The Frog
FFR Veteran

Sonic Adventure 2 is one of the worst games of all time.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:33 PM   #263
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post
games that don't look cute aren't worth playing

no

Quote:
Originally Posted by SputnikOwns View Post
Sonic Adventure 2 is one of the worst games of all time.
thats not controversial nobody with at least one brain cell thinks there has ever been a good sonic game
PixlSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2019, 07:08 AM   #264
MagicCarpetRide
Skware One
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to MagicCarpetRide

Quote:
Originally Posted by PixlSM View Post
its a genuinely awful game
its the video game equivalent of sitting on a bus for 4 hours and you cant find a comfortable position to rest your head and the bus driver takes every turn way to fucking sharp

that analogy doesnt really make sense but the game is really fucking easy but will miss no chance to try and piss you off
Mega Man 2 is amazing. 10/10 music. 10/10 stage design. I still remember approaching Wily's castle for the first time as a kid. The music in wily 1 is a perfect buildup. I really felt like I was going to save the world.

I will say though , the boobeam trap (boss of Wily 4, the purple stage) is possibly the worst designed boss fight in the series. It's complete bs.
MagicCarpetRide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-3-2019, 08:24 AM   #265
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCarpetRide View Post
Mega Man 2 is amazing. 10/10 music. 10/10 stage design. I still remember approaching Wily's castle for the first time as a kid. The music in wily 1 is a perfect buildup. I really felt like I was going to save the world.

I will say though , the boobeam trap (boss of Wily 4, the purple stage) is possibly the worst designed boss fight in the series. It's complete bs.
go play megaman 2 right now and tell me it has level design that would even be "ok" in the NES era. it was abysmal at the time and its not magically getting better
Old 01-4-2019, 12:41 AM   #266
MagicCarpetRide
Skware One
FFR Veteran

Quote:
go play megaman 2 right now and tell me it has level design that would even be "ok" in the NES era. it was abysmal at the time and its not magically getting better
I don't understand how you can say the level design is bad for the nes era. The uniquely themed stages with unique challenges already puts it leagues above similar nes titles. What are you comparing it to?
Old 01-4-2019, 02:11 AM   #267
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack

Quote:
these guy being edgy for the sake of being edgy

Each of the stages is segmented into screens which control the pace of the game. Going screen-to-screen gives the player a feeling of accomplishment when they overcome hard obstacles, since the screens are essentially encapsulated challenges. This also allows for natural checkpoints --- both for respawning and for player reward.

The level designs require both vertical and horizontal progression and follow previously established platformer conventions (besides MAYBE Flashman's) but are also designed with powerups in mind: you can complete them with vanilla Megaman, but you are rewarded with shortcuts if you complete the stages in an intelligent order. This allows for a degree of player exploration and is one of the first games in modern computer gaming to reward routing as we know it today, given that almost all platformer games were unisequential in nature. (left-right sidescrolling with minor detours)

The Megaman series was groundbreaking whether you like to admit it or not: mainly due to the ability to acquire enemy abilities, which allows you the freedom to choose different routes through the game in order to maximize efficiency versus certain bosses. Beating Woodman to give you an advantage on Airman, for example, and getting Item 2 from Airman to help with getting to Heat Man

You -could- make the argument that getting the Metal Blade makes the game easier, which it does, but to suggest that the game sucks because of this is just nonsense.

I know that this is an "unpopular gaming opinions thread" but fuck yeah I'm going to challenge bullshit opinions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-4-2019, 04:06 PM   #268
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
these guy being edgy for the sake of being edgy

Each of the stages is segmented into screens which control the pace of the game. Going screen-to-screen gives the player a feeling of accomplishment when they overcome hard obstacles, since the screens are essentially encapsulated challenges. This also allows for natural checkpoints --- both for respawning and for player reward.

The level designs require both vertical and horizontal progression and follow previously established platformer conventions (besides MAYBE Flashman's) but are also designed with powerups in mind: you can complete them with vanilla Megaman, but you are rewarded with shortcuts if you complete the stages in an intelligent order. This allows for a degree of player exploration and is one of the first games in modern computer gaming to reward routing as we know it today, given that almost all platformer games were unisequential in nature. (left-right sidescrolling with minor detours)

The Megaman series was groundbreaking whether you like to admit it or not: mainly due to the ability to acquire enemy abilities, which allows you the freedom to choose different routes through the game in order to maximize efficiency versus certain bosses. Beating Woodman to give you an advantage on Airman, for example, and getting Item 2 from Airman to help with getting to Heat Man

You -could- make the argument that getting the Metal Blade makes the game easier, which it does, but to suggest that the game sucks because of this is just nonsense.

I know that this is an "unpopular gaming opinions thread" but fuck yeah I'm going to challenge bullshit opinions
dude the boss abilities dont mean shit when it takes like 7 shots from the normal buster to kill all the bosses.
99% of enemy placement is done in a way that just suddenly hits you for chip damage
99% of the time the biggest loss when getting hit by an enemy is the time it wastes by stopping your momentum because Hp drops are so plentiful and you hardly take large amounts of damage anyways

i played through the game a few months ago and i died a grand total of ONE time, and it was just because i didnt know touching the dragon boss in the wily's castle stages would OHKO

if you died at all in megaman 2 from just losing all your hp normally you probably have parkinsons and or multiple mental disabilities.

99% of the game just wastes your fucking time with obnoxious enemy placements and shitty dissapearing block cycles that add absolutely nothing to the level.

also trying to claim that the game being seperated into screens makes the game "rewarding" is fucking laughable dude.seeing a screen transition doesnt make you feel relief for overcoming an obstacle actually fucking clearing the obstacle does that

megaman 2s level design is almost a direct opposite to the level design of castlevania 1, which was aimed at making you carefully analyze a situation and approach it with certain subweapons in mind, which often had tradeoffs as useful subweapons for a level may be less useful during that stages boss, or perhaps you simply preferred using another one for a lot of the stage

the weapons in megaman 2 have no tradeoffs, they are just win buttons for boss fights that make bosses take 5 seconds instead of 10. there is no replayability to a game that has a pointless nonlinearity to it
nonlinearity is only good when your choices are equally valid or at the very least equally accomodating for certain playstyles. megaman 2 just has a right order (which makes the game a larger cakewalk than it already is), and every route that isnt the right order is the wrong order, where it plays basically the same every time except sometimes you might have more or less instakill weapons for the bosses as you get to them.

just because you thought robots were cool as a kid doesnt mean you cant look more critically at the game now

edit: the one thing megaman 2 does get right is that for larger enemies like the fire dogs or the dudes who throw ball chain shits at you, they are typically good about introducing those enemies in isolation before putting them in harder scenarios, but with how easy the game is, it doesnt end up mattering much anyways

Last edited by PixlSM; 01-4-2019 at 04:09 PM..
Old 01-4-2019, 04:15 PM   #269
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

megaman 2 turns downhill af once you get to wileys castle imo which sucks cause the music there bops
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-4-2019, 04:17 PM   #270
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

also something being revolutionary doesnt make it automatically good

Beneath Apple Manor was a revolutionary game for its time and came years before Rogue but theres a reason that we call top down turn-based RPGs with procedural generation and permanent death "Rogue-likes" and not "Beneath-Apple-Manor-Likes"

hint: it has something to do with the fact that beneath apple manor FUCKING SUCKS

Last edited by PixlSM; 01-4-2019 at 04:20 PM..
Old 01-4-2019, 04:19 PM   #271
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
also something being revolutionary doesnt make it automatically good

Beneath Apple Manor was a revolutionary game for its time but theres a reason that we call top down turn-based RPGs with procedural generation and permanent death "Rogue-likes" and not "Beneath-Apple-Manor-Likes"

hint: it has something to do with the fact that beneath apple manor FUCKING SUCKS
i mean to counter this, not saying I disagree, but we do still call games "metroidvania" games despite super metroid being trash, but fair enough
Old 01-5-2019, 07:34 PM   #272
flashflash account
FFR Player

Quote:

if you died at all in megaman 2 from just losing all your hp normally you probably have parkinsons and or multiple mental disabilities.

but also yeah it's full of cheap unfair bullcrap and I'm guessing most megaman games are the same

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIce View Post
FFA playing 4D chess in Gemity while us mortals are stuck on this gay earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
I’ve demonstrated self-awareness
Quote:
i was pretty close to letting this slide tbh, but honestly your utter lack of understanding of the situation irritates me more than anything else at this point
Quote:
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless
flashflash account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-5-2019, 09:10 PM   #273
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

donkey kong country is the shit
Old 01-6-2019, 12:17 AM   #274
flashflash account
FFR Player

found OP's twitter by the way
:ok-hand:

-----

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinIce View Post
FFA playing 4D chess in Gemity while us mortals are stuck on this gay earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenAshy View Post
I’ve demonstrated self-awareness
Quote:
i was pretty close to letting this slide tbh, but honestly your utter lack of understanding of the situation irritates me more than anything else at this point
Quote:
seriously everything i wrote went way over your head if your reading comprehension is so far below third grade level while people may care about your opinion you should refrain from giving it because it's worthless

Last edited by flashflash account; 01-6-2019 at 12:17 AM..
flashflash account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-6-2019, 09:08 PM   #275
MagicCarpetRide
Skware One
FFR Veteran

Quote:
dude the boss abilities dont mean shit when it takes like 7 shots from the normal buster to kill all the bosses.
99% of enemy placement is done in a way that just suddenly hits you for chip damage
99% of the time the biggest loss when getting hit by an enemy is the time it wastes by stopping your momentum because Hp drops are so plentiful and you hardly take large amounts of damage anyways
You are complaining about normal difficulty mode that was only added to the North American release. In the actual original release of mega man 2 drops are nearly nonexistent and bosses take 14 hits.
Old 01-6-2019, 09:46 PM   #276
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicCarpetRide View Post
You are complaining about normal difficulty mode that was only added to the North American release. In the actual original release of mega man 2 drops are nearly nonexistent and bosses take 14 hits.
"difficult" mode is piss easy as well
Old 01-6-2019, 10:25 PM   #277
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mellonxcollie View Post

nice to see that you still play on the legacy engine

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2019, 11:35 AM   #278
riktoi
FFR Player

gender politics in videogames is my favorite thing
riktoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-7-2019, 01:08 PM   #279
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by riktoi View Post
gender politics in videogames is my favorite thing
'member when the most political thing in games was "damn Samus is a girl that's pretty badass"? I 'member
Old 01-7-2019, 01:12 PM   #280
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

Any game that isn't worth playing for more than 1000 hours isn't worth playing altogether

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote