Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2003, 10:53 PM   #201
Anonymous
FFR Player

Quote:
But just because I believe that, doesnt make it right. But according to Christianity, I am going to hell. It doesnt matter how good a person I was. And if this is true, then God is a pretty f*cked up being.
if you did believe in God, would you want to believe in a God that controlled your thoughts and forced you to believe in what he said? if the God i believe in is actually existant, then thats not the type of being he is. he gives us a choice... to choose him or not to. what kind of God would force his subjects to worship him? not an omipotent, omnibenevolent etc. God, i would say.

Quote:
More people have been killed in the name of Christ than in any war. During the Dark-Ages, it was religion that ruled the European world.
i'd like to apologize for the crusades. they were stupid and went against what true christianity stands for. i'm sorry.

Quote:
If God is real, he is omnipotent.
If God is omnipotent, he can do anything.
If God can do anything, (this is the important part) then can he create an object so massive and dense, that not even he can move it? If he can, then he cannot do everything. If he does, than he can't do everything. Its a lose-lose situation for Him.
that is obviously a paradox that doesnt seem solvable. but 1. i dont see how that is really all that relevant and 2. if the God i believe in exists, then he is obviously (as stated by several people already) not confined by the laws we know as humans, such as density and mass. problem solved.

Quote:
Religion isnt perfect. And neither is science. Therefore, neither is right. But, maybe a mixer of the two is. But both sides are too are too arrogant to accept the other.
obviously true. if i were to blindly say "my religion is completely flawless" then i would have an extremely hard time proving it without using arguments of faith, which are pivotal in religion, and oftentimes in science (big bang, etc).

Quote:
On the other hand, you have the religious countries of the Middle East fighting like a bunch of ninnies over their religious differences with technology invented/discovered by scientists (nukes, bio warfare etc.). Maybe it is this, the perfect combination of Religion and Science, that results in the end of the world. Maybe that is how it is destined to be.
read the book of revelation in the bible. thats pretty much right... though your version is way simpler.

heres a question for yall:

if the bible is so flawed, why is it so widely used by nonchristian historians, and why have so many of the prophesies it contains come true/ continue to come true?
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 10:54 PM   #202
Falcon
FFR Player

and by "guest" i meant falcon.
Old 12-14-2003, 11:09 PM   #203
ultimategamer
FFR Player

Quote:
if the bible is so flawed, why is it so widely used by nonchristian historians, and why have so many of the prophesies it contains come true/ continue to come true?
But you see, the bible IS flawed. Many things in it just don't make sense. Lets look at the basic most story of Adam and Eve. If they are the 2 first humans, and all human life comes from them (thats my understanding of it), how can we as a species surpass genetic thinning (or whatever term is used) caused by inbreeding? Royalty, for example, has proven countless times in the past that inbreeding causes...special children to be born. Should we all ride the short bus to school then, so to speak, and die out as a species?

Also, with the crusades, in the bible, God has had many important religious figures kill pagan men, enslave the children, and rape the women. How is this different from the crusades? In essense, its not.

Also, for these prophesies, name RECENT (within lets say 10-50 years) that are prophesized in the bible. Enlighten me. Historians use them simply because they must use every single piece of evidence they can to reconstruct our and the worlds history. When historians unearth, lets say, a mesopotamian tablet of a story, it doesn't matter whether or not they think its a fiction or non fiction, they must use it to the best of their abilities to help reconstruct the way things were.
ultimategamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:37 PM   #204
kineom34
FFR Player

Like ultimategamer said, it's a relic that has survived for wuite a long time, and is widely available to all.
Unfortunately, it contradicts itself, so I"ve read. But I haven't come across any of this stuff. Most of the contradiction that I've come across comes in the form of the followers who misquote. :P
\"Diane didn\'t do that, you did.\"
\"Oh, yeah, that makes more sense.\"
kineom34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:39 PM   #205
altairian
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to altairian Send a message via MSN to altairian

"Prophecy" is generally a bunch of crap. All a prophecy is, is ia general statement about something that could happen any time in the future.
Probably the best example of this is the writing of Nostradamus (it was Nostradamus right? I'm bad with names... ). He wrote a lot of "prophecies" by making general statements about conflict and such, so then in hindsight we can go "OMG NOSTRADAMUS SO PREDICTED THAT WHEN HE SAID ____ ". The best example of this would be the WTC attack in 2k1. Nostradamus had some writing about 2 towers burning, or something along those lines (sorry I'm too lazy to go find the actual passage) and after the incident people realized how similar that passage was to the incident.
But prophecies never give a time frame, or really any specifics for that matter either. So, IMO, they're complete bull. Anyone can write prophecy if they want to. All you have to do is make some general statement about any sort of possible occurence and make it sound good, and you have yourself a prophecy.
Reach: there was this bee. i hate bee\'s...i tryed to kill it, but then it didn\'t die and it started making weird noises so i was like oh (#$% hes gonna sting me. i started running but i triped over some rock and rolled down a hill into the river.
altairian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2003, 11:41 PM   #206
kineom34
FFR Player

It was Nostradamus. You didn't by chance see the History channel's show today on him? They talked about that, and Hister. Not hitler, but Hister. That's supposedly the name used to mean Hitler that Nostradamus used.
\"Diane didn\'t do that, you did.\"
\"Oh, yeah, that makes more sense.\"
kineom34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 12:14 AM   #207
ultimategamer
FFR Player

this is for kineom and everyone else who wonders:

http://www.webster.sk.ca/greenwich/bible-a.htm

here is a rather interesting site that contains a LOT of biblical contradictions. Granted, a few on such a work would be understandable, but this pretty much shows more contradictions than you can shake a stick at.
ultimategamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 12:52 AM   #208
jewpinthethird
(The Fat's Sabobah)
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jewpinthethird

Hah, I just saw that History Channel special.

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

More people have been killed in the name of Christ than in any war. During the Dark-Ages, it was religion that ruled the European world.

i'd like to apologize for the crusades. they were stupid and went against what true christianity stands for. i'm sorry.
Apology accepted.

Quote:
if the God i believe in is actually existant, then thats not the type of being he is. he gives us a choice... to choose him or not to. what kind of God would force his subjects to worship him? not an omipotent, omnibenevolent etc. God, i would say.
I am a good person. I am more "Christian" than most of the christians I know. I give to charity, I help those in need, I treat others as I would like to be treated etc. But because I do not believe in the grand entity known as "God", I am automatically going to hell. I could live the life of a saint, but according the Bible, I am a sinner for not believing in God. And if this is true, God has bad judgement. And a God with bad judgement is no God at all.
jewpinthethird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 05:49 AM   #209
Anticrombie0909
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Anticrombie0909

Quote:
But you see, the bible IS flawed. Many things in it just don't make sense. Lets look at the basic most story of Adam and Eve. If they are the 2 first humans, and all human life comes from them (thats my understanding of it), how can we as a species surpass genetic thinning (or whatever term is used) caused by inbreeding? Royalty, for example, has proven countless times in the past that inbreeding causes...special children to be born. Should we all ride the short bus to school then, so to speak, and die out as a species?
One thing I've always wondered about. Adam and Eve were the first two humans. They had Cain and Abel. Where the HELL did the next generation come from?

There's probably a logical explanation, but I'll just choose to say 'ew' and leave it at that.
Anticrombie0909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 01:47 PM   #210
makaveli121212
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to makaveli121212

to all who dont go to church, the old testament is a group of stories...much like fables, they are not meant to be taken literally, but to teach a lesson...many of the things may have taken place in some form , but not in the extent the bible makes it to be

ie Noahs arc
there was a massive flood, and noah did gather two of the animals...well the ones he could find nearby, and the flood didnt cover the whole earth, just his region...it happened but not always ot the extent the bible says
makaveli121212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:43 PM   #211
heyhey11
FFR Player

WOW 14 pages thats a record for this section of the forums
heyhey11 is offline   Reply With Quote