Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR General Talk > Bug Reports and Suggestions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #1
Proud Indian 7-11 Owner
FFR Veteran

Default New Songs Genre?

I was just thinking if there could maybe be a new songs genre in FFR. This would make it much easier to play/find the new songs. +1?

6th FFR Official Tournament Division 3 6th Place

Silly/Sax's Summer Sensation Division 4 2nd Place

Dragon Fury's Custom Tourney 8 Division 5B 4th Place

Just Your Amatuer Simfilier
21992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
Riotpolice
"Reach For The Stars"
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Riotpolice Send a message via Skype™ to Riotpolice
Default Re: New Songs Genre?

Dance 3?
Also why is "summon" in quotation marks as usually that signifies an alternate meaning like for example last night I "visited" your mother but it really means last night I "fucked her in the ass" so exactly what is the subtext of "summon" because I am not sure I am comfortable with the implications

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0de View Post
im usually the "nice guy" around these parts.. but this is bad, and you should feel bad. i would rather dip my balls in honey and hover them over a red ant hill than to ever hear such butchered crap.
Riotpolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:29 PM   #3
blindreper1179
Vice President Of TGB
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to blindreper1179 Send a message via Skype™ to blindreper1179

Who actually looks through genres anymore? -_-
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
It was like trying to throw logic at a fuckin brick wall lmao
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats more dense, a black hole or an icyworld file
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celirra View Post
I've never been so disappointed by a man from Alabama than I am right now
blindreper1179 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #4
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Imo, with the search function, genres serves no real purpose anymore. But I guess genres could be reworked because, honestly, they don't make any sense now.

And... I'm pretty sure that would need more coding. I recall Velocity saying he didn't want to touch to the Legacy or Velocity engines.

Last edited by noname219; 02-28-2013 at 11:40 PM..
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-1-2013, 01:40 AM   #5
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindreper1179 View Post
Who actually looks through genres anymore? -_-
I still use the genre wheel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-1-2013, 01:50 AM   #6
psychoangel691
Retired Staff
All the things
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to psychoangel691

I think songs should just be sorted by difficulty now honestly. The genres are kind of a mess anyway considering we're sticking so much into one label.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBackpack View Post
also a fucking helicopter is the absolute last place I'd go to find out how big my dick is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Dawg you don't even know. It's so fuckin' small I can use a pen cap to jack off

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
yeah I'mma go for the Rave7 route she's just perfect, stiff on the top, thin in the middle, and has a BIG THICC END that I can just jack on all night UwU best girl
psychoangel691 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-1-2013, 08:04 AM   #7
Arkuski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Arkuski Send a message via Skype™ to Arkuski

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
I think songs should just be sorted by difficulty now honestly. The genres are kind of a mess anyway considering we're sticking so much into one label.
The search tab makes that pointless, but then again, any song division you'd like can be accomplished with the search tab.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
i can appreciate a good looking woman when i see one and this one just happened to be my mom
Arkuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-1-2013, 11:50 AM   #8
t-rogdor
tane orb

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
if we're being 100% honest, something i've been wanting to do for a long-ass time is convince someone to (or convince someone to let me) go through all the in-game songs and give them all more concrete genres (i.e. "Breakcore", "IDM", "Piano Solo", etc, instead of shit like "Drill'n'Bass", "Nu-Style Gabber", "Cutie 8-bit Pop", "Intelligent DnB", etc) so that you guys could add a "search by genre" feature to the search menu. Maybe it's just me, but there are times where I really want to play, say, a breakcore file ala VSnares, or maybe a Chiptune file, things like that. It'd be a pretty neat feature and would make all the weird, seemingly arbitrary (and frankly incorrect) genres assigned to the songs be more accessable
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-1-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
t-rogdor
tane orb

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

also it'd allow moving of files to other genres because let's be real here, Dance 2 has way too many files in it
you can't even click the "next page" button anymore
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-1-2013, 10:31 PM   #10
shenjoku
Wubalubadubdub
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
I still use the genre wheel.
Ditto, specifically the favorites genre :P I wish there was a way to favorite stuff from the search dialog.
Old 03-2-2013, 01:34 AM   #11
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor View Post
if we're being 100% honest, something i've been wanting to do for a long-ass time is convince someone to (or convince someone to let me) go through all the in-game songs and give them all more concrete genres (i.e. "Breakcore", "IDM", "Piano Solo", etc, instead of shit like "Drill'n'Bass", "Nu-Style Gabber", "Cutie 8-bit Pop", "Intelligent DnB", etc) so that you guys could add a "search by genre" feature to the search menu. Maybe it's just me, but there are times where I really want to play, say, a breakcore file ala VSnares, or maybe a Chiptune file, things like that. It'd be a pretty neat feature and would make all the weird, seemingly arbitrary (and frankly incorrect) genres assigned to the songs be more accessable
The song styles like Drill'n Bass won't change, but I'm definitely wanting to change the various genres that the songs are grouped in. Funk for example certainly doesn't reflect any sizeable portion of songs on the site. I've had discussions about changing new genres to reflect the song list that is FFR today (e.g. 8-bit, Cutie 8-bit Pop, and Chiptune may all fall under a "chiptune" category). You have to consider though that it'd require various changes in the graphics of the game. There's gotta be someone willing to make interesting new buttons/labels for new categories.

However, I do also find it tempting to do away with grouping songs altogether. I could imagine that the proportion of various song genres will change in the future - it would for instance potentially make a new "breakcore" section obsolete later on. Times change. Not to mention, you'd STILL have a whole bag of songs fall into some sort of "miscellaneous" section because they don't satisfiably represent the songlist to warrant their own sections of genres. I always thought that a "miscellaneous" section just made the game look more dumpy.

(While we're at it, if these sort of changes do get underway, I would really really want to change a little bit of FFR terminology: right now, songs are grouped in various headings called "Genres" and song genres are supposed called "Styles". This is confusing as hell. Let "Styles" become simply the song "Genres", and song groupings labelled as "Category" or something to that effect.)

Last edited by bmah; 03-2-2013 at 01:37 AM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-2-2013, 03:17 AM   #12
shenjoku
Wubalubadubdub
FFR Veteran

At the very least keep the favorites genre D: Without it I would never be able to keep track of what songs I like since there are so damn many x.x
Old 03-2-2013, 04:00 AM   #13
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

That would make sense to me - except "Favorites" would not be a "Genre", but rather a separate option on its own.
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-2-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I've always used the wheel when i've played haha
Never really used the search, like to browse
Ohaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-2-2013, 03:48 PM   #15
Untimely Friction
D6 Challeneged
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Isnt Funk the new song genre lol
Untimely Friction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-2-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

If you want to know, this is the current number of songs in each categories :

187 Dance
213 Dance 2
62 Funk (some tournament new songs are in there)
155 Arcade
143 Rock
106 Classical
200 Misc
78 Secret
65 Purchased
45 Token
30 Hip-Hop
128 Skill Token
66 Legacy
- Favorites
- Tournament

Only 30 songs in Hip-Hop and 213 in Dance 2.
Also, they're not in a logical order (see Hip-Hop between Token and Skill Token), I would suggest :

Dance - Dance 2 - Arcade - Rock - Classical - Funk - Hip-Hop - Misc - Legacy - Secret - Purchased - Token - Skill Token - Favorites - Tournament

I'm not sure we need Purchased, Secret, Token or Skill Token. They could be integrated to other genres. After all, I see them as regroupments of song styles.
There are a lot of songs in the Arcade genre that could fit in other categories as well.

What would be great is to use new descriptors like Techno, Trance, Chiptune, Drum 'n Bass, House, etc and to keep them updated and under a number of songs. After they reach that number, we could divide the genre into more specific genres. (once it reach 150 songs for example and a new genre must have at least 50 songs of the same style)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah
However, I do also find it tempting to do away with grouping songs altogether. I could imagine that the proportion of various song genres will change in the future - it would for instance potentially make a new "breakcore" section obsolete later on.
Same could be said back in 2002-2003 in the first versions of the game. Funk and Hip-Hop had the same number of songs than Arcade or Dance. Now, they're obsolete.

Quote:
Not to mention, you'd STILL have a whole bag of songs fall into some sort of "miscellaneous" section because they don't satisfiably represent the songlist to warrant their own sections of genres. I always thought that a "miscellaneous" section just made the game look more dumpy.
There's a lot of Breakcore and Drum 'n Bass music in there that could create two new genres. As for other types of songs (Jazz, Christmas songs, Bossa Nova, etc) we have basically no choice to list them under Misc... and yes, it feels kind of dumpy.

Quote:
(While we're at it, if these sort of changes do get underway, I would really really want to change a little bit of FFR terminology: right now, songs are grouped in various headings called "Genres" and song genres are supposed called "Styles". This is confusing as hell. Let "Styles" become simply the song "Genres", and song groupings labelled as "Category" or something to that effect.)
+1 Category is a good descriptor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t-rogdor
if we're being 100% honest, something i've been wanting to do for a long-ass time is convince someone to (or convince someone to let me) go through all the in-game songs and give them all more concrete genres
I plan to do something similar in the Songs Correction Thread but I don't know where to start exactly.
From what I heard, the style describes the mood, genre and ambiance of the song. That's why you can find "Melancholic Baroque" or "Cutie 8-bit Pop". Getting to a consensus of what genre to use within the community would be the best way to go.
We need to detemine also the correct spelling of each genre. Drum and Bass has many different spelling we are using currently, ex: "Drum 'n Bass", "Drum n Bass", "Drum'n Bass" and sometimes "DnB" when there's not enough space.

Quote:
You have to consider though that it'd require various changes in the graphics of the game. There's gotta be someone willing to make interesting new buttons/labels for new categories.
Judging by the popularity of graphic contest here, I don't think that's a problem. ^^
Some buttons would need a little more reworking, Secret has only the outline and I think Token, Legacy and Tournament are a bit too similar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691
It could be an alternative, but I find it less interesting than song styles. After all, you can rank songs by difficulty in the search options.

Last edited by noname219; 03-2-2013 at 05:52 PM..
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-2-2013, 05:48 PM   #17
Xx{Midnight}xX
FFR Player

Why not take out genre's entirely. There's so many classifications (most of which I think are nonsense to be frank) that using a more prudent system (the 1-99 scale for example) as a new way of sorting things is honestly the way to go.

There's no reason to bother with even listing the genres in game anymore. (I honestly think there wasn't one to begin with.)

I'm all for switching to a difficulty sort instead of genres. Hell replace the genre list on the info that loads on the right bottom corner with something more useful, like say uh, BPM.
Xx{Midnight}xX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-2-2013, 06:02 PM   #18
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX View Post
Why not take out genre's entirely. There's so many classifications (most of which I think are nonsense to be frank) that using a more prudent system (the 1-99 scale for example) as a new way of sorting things is honestly the way to go.

There's no reason to bother with even listing the genres in game anymore. (I honestly think there wasn't one to begin with.)

I'm all for switching to a difficulty sort instead of genres. Hell replace the genre list on the info that loads on the right bottom corner with something more useful, like say uh, BPM.
Except that BPM isn't saved in the .swf, so you'd have to get that data from the .sm file before conversion.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-3-2013, 01:08 AM   #19
Silvuh
quit
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

To answer the OP's question specifically, there's no need for a New Songs genre in R^3 or the Velocity Engine. R^3's "All" list is sorted by ascending ID number, so clicking to the last tab and scrolling all the way down will get you to the most recent levels. In the Velocity Engine, the levels can be sorted by descending ID number, and the most recent levels will be at the top.

I made two template vectors for making new Genre Wheel icons in the style of the old ones. Here are a couple examples (trance and chiptune).

Having a more appropriate list of genres would definitely still be good for sorting, but it shouldn't be the primary sorting method. I started typing up a longish spiel about this, about expanding the functionality of VE's search tool into R^3, but I thought I should put that into a new topic.

Also, BPM information would definitely be nice. The Ingame Song Information Thread has the BPMs of almost all the in-game levels earlier than Betrayal (ID 1662) (search for "???" and you'll find the ones that are missing), and I'd think all the rest should be able to be found among all the game admins or simfile judges or any other collector of FFR files for SM. Yeah, it'd take a lot of manual work or group effort, but I think it would be worth it. Would be cool to have BPM filters, being able to find songs of a specific BPM, filtering between static, pseudo-static, and greatly varied BPMs and stuff.