Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Video Games
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2007, 06:52 PM   #21
chuckey
FFR Player

Default Re: What Games For The Wii Are You Most Looking Forward To?

HOLY CRAP geometry wars!!!??? THAT BETTER NOT BE WHAT I THINK IT IS!

JESUS LOVES YA!!!!!!!!!!!!

chuckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:55 PM   #22
Pyroshock
ε=-dΦ/dt
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to Pyroshock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromer View Post
Oh ok Pyro.
I don't get it. Are you trying to say that wanting one game for the Wii makes you less anti-Nintendo?
Pyroshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:15 PM   #23
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Quote:
Uggh. Nothing looking forward too except Brawl. SSBB is the ONLY game I want and will ever want for the Wii.

Metroid Prime 3? Yeah right.

Mario Kart Wii? Got two versions just as good for SNES and 64.

Super Mario Galaxy? Boo and Bee Mario? HA.

Fire Emblem? Never liked the series on GBA to begin with.

Resident Evil: UC? Another RE game right after a rehash of RE4? Sure Nintendo.

Soul Calibur Legends? Need I say anything else?

I don't want to go on but yeah, looks like waggle is going to get sloppy this fall.
And you call me an anti-Sony fanboy.

This is just sad, man. I know you can do better than this.

Aside from your extreme lack of interest in games where very little information is known (for whatever reason), there is one thing I would like to point out, because you don't seem to understand.

Nintendo does not control the flow of games released on its consoles. You know who does? THE PEOPLE WHO MAKE THEM!

If Capcom wants to re-make Resident Evil 4 and put it on the Wii, more power to them! A lot of people bought into it, and most of them liked it, even after playing the original! At the same time, another development team at Capcom (again, not Nintendo here!) was making Umbrella Chronicles. Capcom decides when it's going to be finished. Capcom decides if it's going to have *waggle* or not. Capcom decides when it's going to be released. Capcom decides how to market it. I'm not 100% certain, but I doubt Nintendo even has a say in the disc / box manufacturing for the game.

The point is, Nintendo makes the hardware and the 1st party titles, and THAT'S IT. There's absolutely no reason to flame Nintendo for the content of the third party developers. End of story.

On another note, y'all seem to be forgetting Konami's "Dewy's Adventure" and Suda 51's "No More Heroes". They're looking really awesome so far.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:09 PM   #24
zidart
FFR Player

sorry squeek i reallt forgot about those two (gonna put them on my list) and im sure i'm missed something.

oh as for mario galaxy is out on november 12
zidart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:50 PM   #25
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Chromer Send a message via Yahoo to Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
And you call me an anti-Sony fanboy.
Well Squeek, considering that there hasn't been a breakout title for the Wii that hasn't been First-Party produced, I'm pretty sure if you want to play a AAA title for the Wii, it had better be made by Nintendo themselves. I'm not flaming the Wii, I'm flaming Nintendo's blatant disapproval of third-party developers. Like I said before, if the game hasn't been made by Nintendo, it has not done well. There is no arguing that Squeek. End of story.

However, No More Heroes looks interesting. If it keeps impressing me, I might get that as well as SSBB.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:59 PM   #26
Pyroshock
ε=-dΦ/dt
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via AIM to Pyroshock

Quote:
Like I said before, if the game hasn't been made by Nintendo, it has not done well. There is no arguing that Squeek. End of story.
Define "done well".

I consider selling a million copies doing well. Therefore, two third-party games, Rayman Raving Rabbids and Red Steel, have done well.

Wow would you look at that. The total number of PS3 games that have done well is equal to the number of third-party Wii games that have done well.
Pyroshock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 12:06 AM   #27
zidart
FFR Player

i agree with pyro and squeek. the wii does have third-party support the problem is anti-nintendo people say that they don't

just do a little research and you'll be suprised.

beside nintendo is really doing better than other consoles you can't deny that.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:42 AM   #28
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

To add to what Pyro said, Elebits was named "Best in Show" for E3 2006, and is incredibly popular among gamers despite not managing to sell one million copies (probably due to lack of publicity, sadly). Trauma Center also must've sold pretty well considering they care enough to spend time and money on a sequel.

There. Four. Last I checked, four was better than zero.

Oh, and disapproval?! Last I checked, all the third-party devs switched over to developing Wii games once they saw the public reaction. That was only 9 months ago. If they spit out an original game in 9 months, I'd be surprised (and it'd probably suck as rushed games usually do). 2008-2009 is when we'll see all these third-party games that were started right when Wii hit the shelves for the first time suddenly explode in popularity.

Ah, I figured I should finish with this.

1) http://kotaku.com/gaming/business/ea...ps3-285058.php
2) http://kotaku.com/gaming/ea/we-just-...ood-283018.php

In case you didn't know, EA held back development for Wii games and pushed its primary support onto the PS3. As a result, they lost their #1 spot in the games industry for third-party developers. A spot they've held for over 7 years.

You think other developers see this and go "Hey, let's support the PS3!". I doubt it. If I were a smart up-and-coming development team member with a great idea in mind that the team had just begun working on, I'd say to hold off on choosing a platform to focus on until after a few weeks or months of sales on the platforms come in. 9 months into the Wii's life and it's still selling out every week at about 250,000 units worldwide. 9 months into the PS3's life and it's still just sitting on shelves. A year and a half into the 360's life and Wii is about to pass it.

Hmm. This is a really, really tough decision.

Last edited by Squeek; 08-18-2007 at 01:44 AM..
Old 08-18-2007, 10:00 AM   #29
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

Well, on topic now, I'm looking forward to:

Super Smash Bros Brawl
DDR Hottest Party
Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart Wii
Metroid Prime 3
Soul Caliber Legends
ddr_f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:04 PM   #30
zelosownsyou
FFR Player

SSBB
Metroid Prime 3
Super Mario Galaxy
Mario Kart Wii
Animal Crossing Wii
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

[SIGPIC]Boredlink-tonky[/SIGPIC]
zelosownsyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:55 PM   #31
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Wow Squeek and Pyro, did you guys forget that Red Steel and Trauma Center were launch titles? I would think an audience starving for other titles than just Minigames would latch on to whatever was given to them.

Squeek, pull all the statistics you want out. Hell, you been doing it for almost a whole damn year. I can't wait to see what bull**** you pull from your ass when WiiFit comes out. Oh God, this is going to be classic.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:14 PM   #32
zidart
FFR Player

you got that wrong chromer, those are good games therefore people bought them
Old 08-19-2007, 12:03 AM   #33
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Quote:
Wow Squeek and Pyro, did you guys forget that Red Steel and Trauma Center were launch titles? I would think an audience starving for other titles than just Minigames would latch on to whatever was given to them.

Squeek, pull all the statistics you want out. Hell, you been doing it for almost a whole damn year. I can't wait to see what bull**** you pull from your ass when WiiFit comes out. Oh God, this is going to be classic.
You honestly think people just buy games because they don't want another game? Seriously?

"EWW MINIGAMES I'LL TAKE ANY OTHER GAME INSTEAD!"

People never buy games without knowing about them beforehand. I've never seen ANYONE go to a store and randomly point to some game and say "I want that". Heck, if you didn't want mini-games, why not get Ice Age or Open Season or any other Disney crap they have out there?

When people decide to buy a game, it's because they've done at least a little bit of research into it before deciding it'd be worthwhile. Whether that research is just word of mouth from their friends or whatever saying "Yeah this game is good!" or it's actual research into what a bunch of people are saying about it, watching previews, gameplay trailers, etc. Or even just reading the back of the box in the store. There's always knowledge about a game before the purchase.

If people didn't want Mini-games, Zelda existed to prevent that. And if Zelda weren't there, there's another solution: JUST WAIT IT OUT. Games WILL be released! But who's to say mini-games are bad, anyway? WarioWare is one of the most enjoyable party game I've ever seen.

Also, what do you mean about Wii Fit? It'll probably sell through as well as Wii Play did. So what about it? There ARE people out there who want to have a fun exercise device. Heck, look at DDR! There are a bunch of people who play DDR just to have a fun workout!

Of course, I won't be buying Wii Fit because I'm fine as it is and it looks stupid.

And once again, Nintendo can't regulate the fact that a bunch of companies are too uncreative to come up with anything other than mini-games. Not their fault.

Personally, I see your argument as more of a backlash against the PS3. There's literally nothing on the PS3 right now, so hey, buy Resistance! Or Motorstorm! There won't be anything until Metal Gear / Devil May Cry / etc. come out anyway, but we need games!

Last edited by Squeek; 08-19-2007 at 12:06 AM..
Old 08-19-2007, 12:53 AM   #34
Bahamut-X
FFR Player
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I've been in love with the Metroid Prime Series since the beginning, can't wait for Corruption. Might help to buy a Wii first though >_>

And Chromer, it might help to take a realistic approach rather than acting purely on your resentment of nintendo.
Bahamut-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:15 AM   #35
zidart
FFR Player

chromer always makes a simple thread into a fight to show his actitude of "i hate the wii"

the thing was simple, just say the games you were looking foward , if you wanted to comment of the games you want, that's fine.

but you started bashing the games other people liked, i know it's your opinion but if you're gonna say it with that actitude then keep it to yourself

Last edited by zidart; 08-19-2007 at 01:22 AM..
Old 08-19-2007, 01:41 AM   #36
Chromer
Hookers and Blow
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Zidart, spell correctly before you try to reprimand. I don't hate the Wii. I've been a Nintendo fan ever since I played the NES. Then I got older and realized that the same gimicky Nintendo I used to love wasn't as great as I thought. Now with the Wii, I just see it as a popular fad that will fade out once people realize how shallow the system really is.
Old 08-19-2007, 01:54 AM   #37
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I don't care if it is just a popular fad, though I firmly believe it isn't.

It's a breath of fresh air is what it is. In an age where 16-28 males are looked down on for being "nerds who play video games all day" and sitting in our parent's basements with our gizmos and gadgets wasting our lives, in comes the Wii. Now video gaming isn't seen as a terrible waste of time. Suddenly games aren't just about killing people. They're about having fun.

I'm not against Sony or Microsoft's consoles. I'm against the lack of original content. So far, the 360 has one original game: Viva Pinata. And the two consoles will be getting Rock Band, so credit for that (although it's said that a Wii version is in the works as well). But that's it. Every other game that sells is an FPS, sports game, or racing game. And I'll be honest. I'm tired of those. I've been playing FPS, sports, and racing games for 17 years of my life now. Original content is desperately needed. One in about a hundred will be any good. And that one is Unreal Tournament 3... but that's primarily a PC game and as such, I'll be buying it for my PC.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:39 AM   #38
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

To be honest, very few Wii games appeal to me. Nintendo's on a streak of coming up with a completely new style of play with each new system they create (DS touch screen, Wii motion sensing, etc), and these styles seem to be totally abused in most of the games for these systems. They aren't used as a useful feature for more variety; they're the core of the system. Every Wii game I've played so far has relied almost exclusively on the motion sensing aspect as the main focus of the control system. After the novelty wears off, it just becomes tedious. I'd rather play a game where how well I do is based on how well I think, explore, and discover, not how well I can swing a conductor's baton (or perform other motion sensing actions).

It's for this reason I prefer a more conventional control scheme. Pressing buttons and moving analog sticks takes much of the required thought process away from getting things to move the way you want, allowing you to think (and therefore, to create games where you have to think) more critically about the game itself.

That's the same reason I didn't like the DS. I expected the second screen to be used as a convenient area to monitor game data while the game itself was played using the buttons on the DS itself and the top screen. But no, instead you have to be able to draw specific lines on the second screen using the stylus, or other such things.

The problem with games being made for Nintendo systems is that instead of companies thinking of a way to incorporate the system's innovations in such a way as to complement and improve gameplay, they build the game around the system, making most of the games fairly gimmicky.

Even Nintendo's commercials show this. Their commercials show more footage of the players themselves than the game they advertise. This tells me that they're not telling you to buy the game because it's a good game, but because the control system gets you more immersed into the game.

Squeek, you said that it's not Nintendo's fault companies can't come up with anything better than minigames. But when you have a system designed solely around the motion-sensing aspect of the controls, it's difficult to make a fun game otherwise. You can't use a conventional control style because the controller isn't suited for it, so you're forced to try and come up with a way to make a control setup that gives you the same amount of precision, ease of navigation, and variety while using only motion and two or three buttons.

Example. I bought Twilight Princess expecting it to impress me with a captivating story and all the other things that made previous Zelda games good. Instead, I find that the story is horribly clich? and the puzzles aren't anywhere near as challenging as I expected. I got near the end and just quit because I was bored. It seemed like far too much work was put into finding a way to use the motion-sensing to the game's advantage, and too little was put into making the game itself good. People may disagree with me, but personally, I found Twilight Princess just plain boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek
Suddenly games aren't just about killing people. They're about having fun.
To me, it's more like this: Suddenly, games aren't just about thinking about the best way to handle a situation. They're about being able to manipulate the controller to do what you want it to do. And I completely fail to see how that is even remotely fun. If I could control a game just by thinking, I'd do it. Why? Because I'm more concerned about how much a game makes you think and analyze than how much it makes you press buttons on or move a controller.

Quote:
Every other game that sells is an FPS, sports game, or racing game.
You seem to have forgotten RPGs (e.g. Fable 2), platformers, flight simulators (e.g. Ace Combat 6), "management" games (e.g. Overlord), and fighters (e.g. the upcoming Soul Calibur IV). Granted, most of the games I've named have yet to be released, and yes, -most- current 360 and PS3 games are among the genres you named, but that should tell you something. If those are the popular genres, then that means those are the genres people want.

Quote:
Original content is desperately needed.
Original, non-gimmicky content is desperately needed. I find the Wii to be horribly gimmicky. An example of an original non-gimmicky game was Super Smash Bros. and its sequel, Melee. Fighting didn't have anything to do with killing your opponent; all you had to do was knock them off of the stage. Characters have a set series of techniques with few "combos;" it's the player's job to combine these techniques along with clever movement to create their own combos. Stages have dynamic effects which can change the flow of battle, as opposed to just a ring in the middle of something with no dynamic anything, as in most 1-on-1 fighters (games like Tekken).

SSB and SSBM were original and creative fighters that didn't rely on a specific gimmick for success. They took original concepts and melded them together into a great game. Those are the types of games we need to be seeing more of: games with creative objectives, stories, and gameplay styles that can cater to the player and rely more on the player's ability to think and act rather than his ability to move a controller a certain way.

Last edited by Relambrien; 08-19-2007 at 02:44 AM..
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 03:58 AM   #39
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Perhaps you just haven't played the games that don't rely solely on motion-sensing to work.

Among the 8 games I own, Elebits, Trauma Center, Red Steel, and Super Paper Mario are not motion-sensing dependent. The first three use the infrared pointer to interact with the screen (some better than others... looking at you Red Steel). Very rarely in the game will any motion-sensing take place. For example, Elebits requires you to rotate your wrist on things you twist, like doorknobs and faucets. Red Steel uses a flick of the nunchuck to open doors and reload. And that's it. Super Paper Mario only uses motion-sensing for silly things like Stylish maneuvers and recovering from status ailments.

Wow, 4/8 games I own aren't gimmicky motion-sensing crap. Imagine that!

Now, I know Super Paper Mario was going to be a Gamecube game. Could it have been? Yes. Very little changed. All they added was a pointer-help with Tippi and some motion-sensing for little things. However, Trauma Center and Elebits could never be on Gamecube. Or even PC for that matter. The way they were designed to work around the hardware was perfect. And if you ever get a chance to play them, I highly recommend that you do so.

If other developers take a hint from Atlus and Konami's work with early releases, we're bound to see non-gimmicky AAA titles on Wii within a year. On top of what we already know about with Brawl and Prime 3, of course. And I still won't see any decent games on 360 / PS3 that couldn't have been done on their predecessors or a PC.

I hear the argument all the time. "This could've been a Gamecube game". Yeah, but have you ever thought about it for your own console? As I recall, Grand Theft Auto worked just fine on PS2 / Xbox. They're adding meaningless things into the game for fluff to make it work with the 360 and PS3. Racing and sports games were just fine on PS2 and Xbox. Again, more pointless updates like tiny graphical detail changes make it an ALL NEW game!!!1

At least the difference between Gamecube and Wii isn't just a few more pixels of detail, you know.

Last edited by Squeek; 08-19-2007 at 04:02 AM..
Old 08-19-2007, 12:12 PM   #40
zidart
FFR Player

you see it like a gimmick, others see it as a boost in gaming,

anyway back to the topic, squeek you were right dewy's adventure looks like a awesome game i'll add it to my list