Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
d4u7211
Aficionado of Awk
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to d4u7211
Default So, I installed Lubuntu...

...and it ****ing rocks.

This is my first time actually using linux. I dualbooted Lubuntu 12 (precise) alongside Windows 7 on my 60 GB SSD. Lubuntu is basically Lightweight Ubuntu, running on LXDE. I didn't use a swap (I have 8GB of RAM, so everything goes there). Everything runs smooth...starts up in less than 10 seconds.

Not to mention, FFR runs FLAWLESS. The frames run faster than I'd seen on a windows machine ever. My advice for fixing lag? Just get lubuntu.

d4u7211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:24 PM   #2
SlayerApocalypse666
Banned
FFR Veteran

Default Re: So, I installed Lubuntu...

This sounds like alot of fun.
I'm happy for you mate.
8k FPS FFR FTW!

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4u7211 View Post
This is my first time actually using linux. I dualbooted Lubuntu 12 (precise) alongside Windows 7 on my 60 GB SSD. Lubuntu is basically Lightweight Ubuntu, running on LXDE. I didn't use a swap (I have 8GB of RAM, so everything goes there). Everything runs smooth...starts up in less than 10 seconds.

Not to mention, FFR runs FLAWLESS. The frames run faster than I'd seen on a windows machine ever. My advice for fixing lag? Just get lubuntu.
SlayerApocalypse666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #3
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlayerApocalypse666 View Post
8k FPS FFR FTW!
I know you are just kidding, but ffr is frame capped at 30. =(

If you are using an ssd than you could get windows to boot up in less than 10 seconds too. I've had an ubuntu installation on my computer for awhile, but I never know what to use it for. I only ever used it for C program compiling because of the native gcc compiler, but other than that my windows OS does everything I need it to.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 01:52 PM   #4
d4u7211
Aficionado of Awk
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
I know you are just kidding, but ffr is frame capped at 30. =(

If you are using an ssd than you could get windows to boot up in less than 10 seconds too. I've had an ubuntu installation on my computer for awhile, but I never know what to use it for. I only ever used it for C program compiling because of the native gcc compiler, but other than that my windows OS does everything I need it to.
Well, Windows 7 does in fact boot in less than 10, by itself. If you count the animation times and the BIOS pause screen (mine has a longer pause than most machines) then its around 15 seconds, but the system actually boots in less than 10. Lubuntu, however, boots in less than 10 seconds with BIOS screen and all. I should've specified.

And ffr is so nice at a constant 30 fps rate...on windows its less than that by about 2-3 on average if it isnt lagging.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #5
SlayerApocalypse666
Banned
FFR Veteran

Deactivated Intro animation for a year, feels great.

run--msconfig

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4u7211 View Post
Well, Windows 7 does in fact boot in less than 10, by itself. If you count the animation times and the BIOS pause screen (mine has a longer pause than most machines) then its around 15 seconds, but the system actually boots in less than 10. Lubuntu, however, boots in less than 10 seconds with BIOS screen and all. I should've specified.

And ffr is so nice at a constant 30 fps rate...on windows its less than that by about 2-3 on average if it isnt lagging.

Last edited by SlayerApocalypse666; 10-21-2012 at 02:07 PM..
SlayerApocalypse666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 02:05 PM   #6
d4u7211
Aficionado of Awk
FFR Veteran

Wow, I didn't notice that. Either way, Lubuntu is super lightweight and really nice to me :P

Old 10-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Choofers
FFR Player
FFR Music Producer

I'm thinking about putting lubuntu on my second laptop. Playing FFR on this laptop is annoying as shit.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:15 AM   #8
fido123
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers View Post
I'm thinking about putting lubuntu on my second laptop. Playing FFR on this laptop is annoying as shit.
You can install GNU/Linux side-by-side with any other OS. With the *buntu flavour of Linux, you can even install it on an existing partition with no data loss or file system change via a tool called "wubi".
fido123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 11:47 AM   #9
dragon890x
☆Ξ Phantasy Star Legend Ξ☆
FFR Veteran

I played FFR on a number of Linux distros, and yeah, it's pretty fast. The method you use to play it could also speed things up more, and make it more reliable. I've spent a lot of time looking into how I could improve performance on Linux.

However, and sorry to take a dump on this thread, my setup for Windows 7 is actually faster and more reliable than what I had setup on Linux. I'm not trying to discredit this thread; I do feel like Linux is a really good OS to play FFR on.

It's just that Linux isn't getting support from Adobe when it comes to running Flash. Also, I had to run everything down to the barebone settings, even for the OS, to make FFR hit peek performance. On my Windows machine, I can hit peek performance while having; 10+ tabs open on Chrome, Skype running on a call, Steam running (and downloading updates), PSO2 logged in and inside a game, uTorrent running and downloading some new anime, my FTP client up and connected to a server, TeamSpeak 3 open, I hope you guys are starting to get the picture.

Moving to Linux is a smart move. However, if your reason is to improve your performance and reliability on FFR, you might want to spend some more time considering your options before making the switch.

[ Link ]

Last edited by dragon890x; 10-26-2012 at 11:53 AM..
dragon890x is offline   Reply With Quote