Old 06-25-2016, 02:06 AM   #61
Kanzas
Buh
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Official Tournament Round 1 Files

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Halogen View Post
Also, I think that Carnaval is 80 and D6 is crazy.
This. 6 AAAs already, and D1 has the only other AAA so far. Intense tournament.

Top 5
Pimp Slap - 7-0-0-1
party 4u "holy nite mix" v2 - 5-0-1-2
Fei Longer - AAA
HELLBEAT - 9-0-1-3
Flame Repellent - 5-0-0-0
Kanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:06 AM   #62
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Halogen View Post
You might not be convinced, but the fact is that the difficulty is what it is. Players are (correctly) recognizing that it's something that should at least be in the ballpark of 60. Your skill set is not exempt from following objectivity.
Well what the hell is this file's? Because it feels like it's a 60 too. It's harder than (unless I'm missing something there) {Rose} or {Frozen}, and {Frozen} is a 58.

And should I put myself in d4? I yield better scores on that file, but overall the competition should be harder. It may just be me, but I feel the jump between the d2 file and the d3 file is just massive, and the d3 to d4 is tiny. Just voicing an opinion, but... eh.

I clearly don't understand what I'm missing.
Xenorosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:09 AM   #63
bmah
shots FIRED
Global Moderator, User Support, Judge
Global ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

People will experience their own personal deviations in apparent difficulty in contrast to the rest of the players, and that is pretty normal. In other instances, you might find the file to be easier than what other players are experiencing. It all depends on your skill set. Ideally, it'll even out in the end. There's nothing you're missing.

At least it appears you've identified a weakness in your skill that you could certainly improve on - look at it that way.

Last edited by bmah; 06-25-2016 at 02:15 AM..
bmah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:10 AM   #64
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Dude, Funny Function is fairly easy to score on, but a bitch to FC. All the jacks and those bursts at the end, it's more likely than not you'll forget to tap. I just got 14 clean equivalent, but man. XD
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:19 AM   #65
dell2150
FFR Veteran
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to dell2150

I drop between 15-20 goods on the [14][23] jump trill into the 4321/1234 roll (whether or not on mirror) and from here on out I'm starting a petition to not allow jump trills to be followed directly by rolls for the rest of eternity. WHO'S WITH ME!?

Edit: Actually, the more I play the file, the more fun I find it, and the more disappointed I am in that section. Post-tourney it's going to be a Xanthy or System Doctor type file for me. A fun song, great chart, with a few horrid sections (Xanthy trills near the end, SD bursts) that absolutely ruin the file and make it almost not worth playing. I understand the section is partly for difficulty sake (I would imagine) but it's really a shame that it has to be there. Other than that, great file gameboy

Last edited by dell2150; 06-25-2016 at 02:44 AM..
dell2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:21 AM   #66
Kanzas
Buh
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell2150 View Post
I drop between 15-20 goods on the [14][23] jump trill into the 4321/1234 roll (whether or not on mirror) and from here on out I'm starting a petition to not allow jump trills to be followed directly by rolls for the rest of eternity. WHO'S WITH ME!?
*HAND RAISED* AGREED!

Top 5
Pimp Slap - 7-0-0-1
Fei Longer - AAA
HELLBEAT - 9-0-1-3
Old 06-25-2016, 02:23 AM   #67
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
People will experience their own personal deviations in apparent difficulty in contrast to the rest of the players, and that is pretty normal. In other instances, you might find the file to be easier than what other players are experiencing. It all depends on your skill set. Ideally, it'll even out in the end. There's nothing you're missing.
If you only last two rounds, how does it even out? What if the file that you'd have an advantage in is in round 5-6?

Look, I admit, I'm well on the low end of d3, so I'm not that familiar with "play styles" and all, but even I know that isn't true. There is no "ideally" when it comes to play styles in tournaments. Either the file suits you, or it shafts you.

If I'm allowed, just put me in d4 since I can't downgrade. I at least want to play the easier song for my skill set if I'm only going to play for two weeks.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:29 AM   #68
Kanzas
Buh
FFR Veteran

You realize if you practice your D3 file, by using a lower rates on problem areas, figurin out the timing of notes that have odd speeds and stuff like that, you'll end up farther in the rounds than you think. If you go into D4, with the people we have, there is a better chance you wont see round 2. Personally, you'd have more beneft from staying in D3 if you can be persistent

Top 5
Pimp Slap - 7-0-0-1
Fei Longer - AAA
HELLBEAT - 9-0-1-3

Last edited by Kanzas; 06-25-2016 at 02:30 AM..
Old 06-25-2016, 02:31 AM   #69
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

No, I don't. For me it's not about seeing the patterns. It's about it being physically possible for me. Slowing it down doesn't help, and I've already tried multiple times at 0.8 and 0.7. Personally, I don't think I'll see round 2 of d3 if everyone manages to play, so honestly, it wouldn't matter if I'm in d7. :P
Old 06-25-2016, 02:33 AM   #70
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenorosth View Post
If I'm allowed, just put me in d4 since I can't downgrade. I at least want to play the easier song for my skill set if I'm only going to play for two weeks.
ugh.

just because this round is easier doesn't mean next round will be. what are you going to do then, asked to be put back in d3? why not, instead of complaining, attempt to get better at the file? that's the true way to improve. you don't get better at something you're not good at without practice.

edit: not to mention, only 9 people are getting eliminated out of D3 this round. there's probably at least 9 people who won't even play. you have a chance to get to round 2, you just don't want to really work at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
it's like putting training wheels on gutterguards covered in styrofoam made of bubblewrap with a velcro fanny pack inside a condom

Last edited by Cold Kitten; 06-25-2016 at 02:35 AM..
Cold Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:35 AM   #71
bmah
shots FIRED

Quote:
If you only last two rounds, how does it even out? What if the file that you'd have an advantage in is in round 5-6?

Either the file suits you, or it shafts you.
Unless you're really well-rounded as a player, this is often the case. If the first file happens to be your weakness, oh well!

But that should give a bit of motivation to work on those weaknesses. I don't understand why it has to perceived it as an injustice when there's only so much a tournament can do to curb circumstantial imbalances within all groups of players. Just work on the file more. This means strategizing, taking breaks (yes, don't keep playing if you keep getting stuck), tinkering with mirror, minute finger adjustments on your keyboard, and so on. Often small nuanced adjustments in vision or finger position can make a big difference in your performance. Also consider the fact that the margin of error is greater for the earlier rounds, as there are more players amongst your division.

Overall, it will help if you try to view the tournament as a fun event and not a matter of every bit of karma going against you. Play positively! It's not a myth.

Last edited by bmah; 06-25-2016 at 02:37 AM..
Old 06-25-2016, 02:39 AM   #72
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Kitten View Post
ugh.

just because this round is easier doesn't mean next round will be. what are you going to do then, asked to be put back in d3? why not, instead of complaining, attempt to get better at the file? that's the true way to improve. you don't get better at something you're not good at without practice.
I'm expecting to only last 1-2 rounds regardless of where I am d3+. All of my best scores are 5 years ago, and I don't even know if all of them are mine because I had a friend who was better than me who played a few rounds on my account. That was when I was in high school, so it may very well be it wasn't actually my score. The only ones that I know for sure that are mine are the ones from previous tournaments.

Honest to god, I doubt that I could top 16 d2, but my scores say otherwise, and I accept that. At least if I'm going to only be in there for 2 rounds, I'd rather play the file that personally is easier for at least one of the rounds. The d4 file is more fun to me than the d3 file. But even moreso, I asked in the main thread after I got placed in d3 that I'd rather just not play at all. Then I wouldn't be going on this rant because I want to be competitive (and yet all the way at the bottom of my tier)
Old 06-25-2016, 02:39 AM   #73
feelingzwontfade
🥰
FFR Veteran

The D4 file may appear easier than the D3 file overall, but it looks like the D4 players(well, at least me) are finding it very difficult to SDG. There are just so many little spots in that file capable of suddenly ruining your good count. Namely the fast trills and awkward-feeling jump-stream 32nd patterns. The ending on the D3 one was a little tricky upon sight-reading it but I'd kill to be able to play that one repeatedly instead lol
feelingzwontfade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2016, 02:39 AM   #74
Kanzas
Buh
FFR Veteran

Talking Re: Official Tournament Round 1 Files

Quote:
n

ugh.

edit: not to mention, only 9 people are getting eliminated out of D3 this round. there's probably at least 9 people who won't even play. you have a chance to get to round 2, you just don't want to really work at it.

Marry Me

but seriously, Follow You is so much easier that RS,BS... I have timing issues so I get a lot of goods from that, but the patterns are much more simple. The triples are a wee bit difficult, but they aren't bad. But, hey, to each their own I guess. But seriously, practice. This IS the hardest tournament in 6 years, apparently. I sure believe it, it's a big bump from last years thats for sure. Next round might be easier for you though, pattern wise. You never know. I have trouble with 20-30s than I do some 50s. Just PACTERCE!!!

EDIT - Bro, " because I want to be competitive (and yet all the way at the bottom of my tier)" You have to actually try for this to be competitive. I was LAST when I first placed my score, but now I'm not. That's how competition and practice coincide lol

Top 5
Pimp Slap - 7-0-0-1
Fei Longer - AAA
HELLBEAT - 9-0-1-3

Last edited by Kanzas; 06-25-2016 at 02:43 AM..
Old 06-25-2016, 02:42 AM   #75
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I'm expecting to only last 1-2 rounds regardless of where I am d3+. All of my best scores are 5 years ago, and I don't even know if all of them are mine because I had a friend who was better than me who played a few rounds on my account. That was when I was in high school, so it may very well be it wasn't actually my score. The only ones that I know for sure that are mine are the ones from previous tournaments.

Honest to god, I doubt that I could top 16 d2, but my scores say otherwise, and I accept that. At least if I'm going to only be in there for 2 rounds, I'd rather play the file that personally is easier for at least one of the rounds. The d4 file is more fun to me than the d3 file. But even moreso, I asked in the main thread after I got placed in d3 that I'd rather just not play at all. Then I wouldn't be going on this rant because I want to be competitive (and yet all the way at the bottom of my tier)
most of the people in this tournament haven't played for years. my top 5 scores are all from 1-5 years ago as well. i took the time to practice. i was D2 myself two weeks before the tournament (had an alt account to prove it) but by practicing, i jumped back up to d4. am i going to place in d4? hell no. but i'm willing to push myself to get there, or at least try to.

everyone gets placed in divisions they don't think they should be. but we suck it up. if you have this big a problem with where you're placed, then don't play at all. that's up to you. but you'll likely get a file next round that IS easier for you in D3 than the D4 round song will be.

i don't get why people complain about their placements so much. it sucks, yeah, but it should be motivation more than anything.

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanzas View Post
Marry Me

but seriously, Follow You is so much easier that RS,BS... I have timing issues so I get a lot of goods from that, but the patterns are much more simple. The triples are a wee bit difficult, but they aren't bad. But, hey, to each their own I guess. But seriously, practice. This IS the hardest tournament in 6 years, apparently. I sure believe it, it's a big bump from last years thats for sure. Next round might be easier for you though, pattern wise. You never know. I have trouble with 20-30s than I do some 50s. Just PACTERCE!!!
k, when and where

in all seriousness, i haven't played the d3 file yet, and i could be talking out of my ass. but. practice practice practice guyus. it's REALLY not that hard, as i previously said, i was d2 before the tournament started and now i'm low d4. i'm sure as hell not gonna win, but so what? i can still try.

Quote:
it's like putting training wheels on gutterguards covered in styrofoam made of bubblewrap with a velcro fanny pack inside a condom

Last edited by Cold Kitten; 06-25-2016 at 02:44 AM.. Reason: double posting is bad, mmkay
Old 06-25-2016, 02:45 AM   #76
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I can't FC either, so both files look the same to me. Tbh.
Old 06-25-2016, 02:50 AM   #77
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I can't FC either, so both files look the same to me. Tbh.
then stop your belly aching and work on FCing it. then work on getting lower good and boo counts.

i want to share something with you:

"whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford.

if you think you can only make it two rounds, then that's sure as hell what's gonna happen. so try, dammit. try your hardest. do everything you can to make it farther. and if you can't, then practice for next year. if everyone picked the file they liked the best to play, then what would be the point of divisions anyway?

Quote:
Old 06-25-2016, 02:51 AM   #78
bmah
shots FIRED

Xenorosth, if I may ask, what did you join this tournament for? For winning? For having fun? I think if you reconsider your overall goal, you'll take the whole matter less seriously and may simultaneously perform better too. If you still lose early, well at least it was still a good experience. I am fairly certain you didn't join this tournament with the intentions of having yourself feel crappy.

tl;dr choose your mindset wisely

Last edited by bmah; 06-25-2016 at 02:52 AM..
Old 06-25-2016, 02:52 AM   #79
Kanzas
Buh
FFR Veteran

Quote:
then stop your belly aching and work on FCing it. then work on getting lower good and boo counts.

"whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." - Henry Ford.
Omygeezus, I use this everyday at work when i'm working with new hires. SRSLY, marry me now, on the internet. because its internet and you can do everything there. XDXDXDXDXD

Getting off toppic here, oops.

Anywho... Yeah, mindsets, practice, have fun and improve, even if its a few goods here and there.

Top 5
Pimp Slap - 7-0-0-1
Fei Longer - AAA
HELLBEAT - 9-0-1-3

Last edited by Kanzas; 06-25-2016 at 02:54 AM..
Old 06-25-2016, 02:53 AM   #80
Cold Kitten
i love (purple things)
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
choose your mindset wisely
v important advice right here from bmah (what a shock, good advice from bmah)

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanzas View Post
Omygeezus, I use this everyday at work when i'm working with new hires. SRSLY, marry me now, on the internet. because its internet and you can do everything there. XDXDXDXDXD
http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/reviv...meanttobe.html

Quote:

Last edited by Cold Kitten; 06-25-2016 at 02:57 AM..