Default Re: CVS is gonna stop selling cigarettes

gimme all your lunch money or i'll give you a swirly
Old 02-16-2014, 10:46 AM   #42
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I guess it is long overdue to end then.

Last edited by Izzy; 02-18-2014 at 03:05 PM..
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 11:11 AM   #43
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
overdo
lol

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 03:35 PM   #44
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

I wonder if the decision was made because of moral/ethical reasons or if it's a cover up for a larger marketing/business scheme. On one hand, you might have some more people buying from CVS because they support their decision to stop selling ciggs. On the other hand, you have a lot of people that like to do their "one-stop shopping" and if they can't get their ciggs at CVS, they are not going to go there anymore. Which one will offset the other though is something I'm in no position to judge.

Not happening now! Don't click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:00 PM   #45
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to korny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafles View Post
You can pull statistics like this from a lot of places and for a lot of different things. You know how many people die indirectly from alcohol per year? What about the number of people for talking on the phone while driving?

You can't just rely in statistics like this as a basis for your arguments. You have to analyze every area of something and the consequences from it. If cigarettes weren't legal would all of our taxes go up? Cigarettes are extremely highly taxed and the government needs this income to do a lot of very beneficial things.

I only smoke on average 1 cigarette a month btw, but I'm just saying you can't make arguments like that and expect to be taken seriously.
I most definitely expect the argument from a quality of life perspective to be taken seriously when I bring up a statistic like that. By merely breathing the same air that is polluted with the byproducts of a cigarette, I am potentially at risk for cancer and other life threatening diseases. To argue that the government relies on the heavy taxing of these deadly, extremely addictive products is a counter to the validity of my claim in any way, is preposterous. However much money the government makes from taxes or however high our taxes are raised in correlation with the illegality of cigarettes is irrelevant. To argue in favor of the monetary repercussions vs the health benefits that come with regulating what goes into the products that are capable of causing thousands upon thousands of people to die by merely inhaling their byproducts is more of an argument of greed vs responsibility. The general acceptance of something doesn't take away from the outright contradicting nature of it's very existence. I don't believe that any substance in particular should be outright illegal at all, we should have the freedom to do what we want with our bodies, but to impinge upon others ability to live devoid of these substances by exhaling the deadly air that stagnates at local restaurants or bars, is just plain unfair to others seeking a higher quality of life.
korny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:05 PM   #46
Izzy
Snek

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
lol
Fixed just for you.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:08 PM   #47
Wafles
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Wafles

Quote:
Originally Posted by korny View Post
I most definitely expect the argument from a quality of life perspective to be taken seriously when I bring up a statistic like that. By merely breathing the same air that is polluted with the byproducts of a cigarette, I am potentially at risk for cancer and other life threatening diseases. To argue that the government relies on the heavy taxing of these deadly, extremely addictive products is a counter to the validity of my claim in any way, is preposterous. However much money the government makes from taxes or however high our taxes are raised in correlation with the illegality of cigarettes is irrelevant. To argue in favor of the monetary repercussions vs the health benefits that come with regulating what goes into the products that are capable of causing thousands upon thousands of people to die by merely inhaling their byproducts is more of an argument of greed vs responsibility. The general acceptance of something doesn't take away from the outright contradicting nature of it's very existence. I don't believe that any substance in particular should be outright illegal at all, we should have the freedom to do what we want with our bodies, but to impinge upon others ability to live devoid of these substances by exhaling the deadly air that stagnates at local restaurants or bars, is just plain unfair to others seeking a higher quality of life.
Ya'll *****s are so defensive.
All I'm pointing out is faulty arguments. I'm not decidedly one way or another on this issue.
Wafles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 03:14 PM   #48
Izzy
Snek

His response was really non-emotion driven and made perfect sense. Seems more like normal responding to something than being defensive.

On the other hand saying "ya'll *****s" makes your post sound defensive.
Old 02-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #49
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

I am far more anti-cigarette than defensive, and think maybe you're just being evasive. You said I can't make arguments like that an be taken seriously and I say why not? The obvious is overwhelmingly obvious. The necessity to elaborate is just absurd. Something very deadly and capable of causing deaths by the thousands without personally using is mass produced and allowed to permeate my living space without the option of avoidance, and I have a single statistic that supports that claim completely. You used financial examples as a means to point out what could make my argument "faulty", and I let you know why even using those examples is just ridiculous.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:00 PM   #50
xNiX
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to xNiX

I don't see how this is thread worthy but alright. Cool story. I'm still going to smoke them regardless if they're bad for my health.
Old 02-18-2014, 04:34 PM   #51
Wafles
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to Wafles

Quote:
Originally Posted by korny View Post
I am far more anti-cigarette than defensive, and think maybe you're just being evasive. You said I can't make arguments like that an be taken seriously and I say why not? The obvious is overwhelmingly obvious. The necessity to elaborate is just absurd. Something very deadly and capable of causing deaths by the thousands without personally using is mass produced and allowed to permeate my living space without the option of avoidance, and I have a single statistic that supports that claim completely. You used financial examples as a means to point out what could make my argument "faulty", and I let you know why even using those examples is just ridiculous.
I'll say it again: I'm not arguing against you, I'm just pointing out faults in your logic. If you use that argument for cigarettes you have to specify why it should apply to cigarettes and not other things, and that you also have to consider other repercussions of your argument.

Not to mention, it's already illegal to smoke indoors in most public places, the only real issue you can point out anymore is private residences (children being unable to avoid it for example).

FYI its also possible to make your point without trying to sound pretentious with your choice of language. You're using an unnecessary amount of fluff words to try and make yourself look smarter.
Wafles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 PM   #52
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

LOL what has ffr come to....
Old 02-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #53
korny
It's Saint Pepsi bitch
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wafles View Post
I'll say it again: I'm not arguing against you, I'm just pointing out faults in your logic. If you use that argument for cigarettes you have to specify why it should apply to cigarettes and not other things, and that you also have to consider other repercussions of your argument.

Not to mention, it's already illegal to smoke indoors in most public places, the only real issue you can point out anymore is private residences (children being unable to avoid it for example).

FYI its also possible to make your point without trying to sound pretentious with your choice of language. You're using an unnecessary amount of fluff words to try and make yourself look smarter.
You realize that this all stemmed from me saying that because 50,000 people a year die from second hand smoke, smoke that is very prevalent and abundant in my everyday life, I have plenty of reasons to hate on cigarette smokers right? I fail to see that as being anything other than perfectly reasonable without any need for elaboration. The overwhelming truth from that statistic, is is that there is no argument against the fact that cigarette smoke is an effective killer that can be difficult to avoid in many places, places that have yet to recognize this as important enough to make it outright illegal to use, like some of the local restaurants and bars that I frequent from time to time. You may perceive my attempt to bring these things to light as pretentious while using "fluff" words to make myself seem smarter, but it is in fact how I would talk if we were in person, it's how I would talk if you were my mother or best friend. The beauty of the english language is that it has by far more words than any other, which allows for a more accurate conveyance of ones feelings towards any particular thing. If we are going to critically discuss anything, certain words especially, become more essential when trying to maintain ones stance. So I guess to that I would say, get over it.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:00 PM   #54
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher

Smoking is unhealthy, bad for yourself and others. Yall should stop like asap, seriously. We get you started because you were stressed or some dumb reason, BUT theres other ways to go about it all other than harming yourself AND others in the process.
PLUS smoking is the biggest waste of money EVER....

Go ahead and argue that im wrong, or dumb for voicing this. BUT that doesnt change the fact that im 100% right. I mean im GLAD they are not selling them anymore at CVS. Its a start and more places should stop selling them.

Last edited by SK8R43; 02-18-2014 at 05:04 PM..
SK8R43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 05:51 PM   #55
xNiX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by reuben_tate View Post
I wonder if the decision was made because of moral/ethical reasons or if it's a cover up for a larger marketing/business scheme. On one hand, you might have some more people buying from CVS because they support their decision to stop selling ciggs. On the other hand, you have a lot of people that like to do their "one-stop shopping" and if they can't get their ciggs at CVS, they are not going to go there anymore. Which one will offset the other though is something I'm in no position to judge.
I'd think option B because CVS is primarily making money from pharmaceutical needs. I can't remember the last time I've heard someone making a pit stop somewhere just because they don't sell cigarettes in the store. I'm not saying it wouldn't happen, but the case just seems rare to me.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:57 PM   #56
xNiX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8R43 View Post
Smoking is unhealthy, bad for yourself and others. Yall should stop like asap, seriously. We get you started because you were stressed or some dumb reason, BUT theres other ways to go about it all other than harming yourself AND others in the process.
PLUS smoking is the biggest waste of money EVER....

Go ahead and argue that im wrong, or dumb for voicing this. BUT that doesnt change the fact that im 100% right. I mean im GLAD they are not selling them anymore at CVS. Its a start and more places should stop selling them.
Most smokers already know they are slowly killing themselves. This is not news dude. Even though it's bad to me, I personally enjoy doing it (was really tough to say that);hence, why I'm still addicted.
The only way to quit smoking is just will power. Stopping sales will not really change anything.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:26 PM   #57
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK8R43 View Post
Smoking is unhealthy, bad for yourself and others. Yall should stop like asap, seriously.
i'm assuming you've never gone through nicotine withdrawal
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #58
xNiX
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
Last time I attempted quitting, my body got the shakes and I felt incredibly weak. It sucks so bad.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:58 PM   #59
SK8R43
D7 Elite Keymasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
Nope because im not stupid enough to smoke in the first place. I mean why would you start something that just drains your money and kills you? What are the positives to smoking that cant be helped elsewhere?

I tell everyone i meet that smokes that its dumb and pointless and guess what? Most of them have quit now.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:40 PM   #60
Vendetta21
Sectional Moderator
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Vendetta21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowcrafta View Post
I started because I was 19 and out of rum for the weekend and nobody was available to buy me more
i started smoking because i was 15 and i wanted my friend (female obviously) to think i wasn't a dork and then i started hanging out with the edgy alternative kids and they were treating a pasty white nerd like me like one of the cool kids. i didn't even play guitar!!!!!!!!!! i felt so included.

don't even talk to them anymore. and now i hate myself every time i have weakness of will and give into cravings.