Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Chit Chat

Old 12-22-2019, 01:02 AM   #21
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar
Default Re: Do video games and gamers deserve more respect?

Did not know these chess facts, pretty neat

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 07:55 AM   #22
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not devonin View Post
The major ones tend to be about 10 days, and you'll play 5 or 6 games.

At that level, you can burn around 6000 calories in a day where you play, and their blood pressure hangs around competitive marathon runner levels.
Had no clue chess players burned that many calories, that is indeed interesting. the blood pressure statement means nothing though and can extend to almost anything with a lot of tension/pressure regardless of being physical

Quote:
Originally Posted by FictionJunction View Post
wow
j-rodd123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:33 AM   #23
Not devonin
FFR Player

It's the "sustaining blood pressure at those levels for multiple consecutive hours" part.
Not devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 10:51 AM   #24
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

Yea again sustained elevated blood pressure is not a great metric for this. People with bad anxiety can go to work and have similar elevated blood pressure just sitting at a desk trying to do paperwork all day lol

Quote:
wow
Old 12-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #25
j-rodd123
End of the road
FFR Veteran

But I guess if the point is saying that high level chess tournaments are mentally taxing and physically draining then yes it seems that is true

Quote:
wow
Old 12-22-2019, 03:16 PM   #26
V-Ormix
Banned
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I feel like there is a definitely a feed back loop people fall into regardless of their subsequent initial subjection to what games they pursue, but after the fact remains easier to rationalize involvement by having their evolution of logic influenced by the very nature of time and sought after virtue.

A game is a game but can we not admit life is in fact a game? My rough understanding at face value is that a game is some thing to be played and serves merely to obtain some ones attention by design - games using such qualities of vibe being a fusion of all genres of art in theory can't not be attractive. Life with the potential subject of debate suggesting you don't merely get to 'play' life or at least not all the time is a contrast with in another contrast serving to separate this blurry line of a game and our conscious existence.

Being good at some thing is an amazing feeling and one that no can buy or pretend to have - and while I can understand people taking the stance of life before a game, its the process of living in a window of you're life time that allows you the luxury of defining what has purpose to you and makes life worth living at all :v

Last edited by V-Ormix; 12-22-2019 at 03:17 PM..
V-Ormix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2019, 03:50 PM   #27
Not devonin
FFR Player

Games, to me are a specific and distinct things with qualitative difference between games, sports, activities etc.

So "Life is a game" while very Shakespearean isn't how I'd choose to define it, or use the word in a thread that is more directly dealing with ludology.
Old 12-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #28
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Today I looked up what Ludology meant

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 12-22-2019 at 04:33 PM..
Old 12-22-2019, 05:36 PM   #29
V-Ormix
Banned

well I mean games reside in "life" so life isn't exactly a game unless its purpose or definition was akin to a game like being entertained or if we were literally just here to play 8u

It's all differing from person to person in their preference but for me I've described it before as being a trial with many under and over tones putting ones susceptibility to the test of principal.

edit: but on the basis of the thread topics title as a question: is more respect deserved?? I think not. Respect is some thing that I view as a choice of an individual to give. Not receiving respect from everyone wont change likewise some ones choice to engage/embrace them either.

the idea of "more" respect might only be a matter of time with the upbringing of these newer generations, video games will only become more respected the greater leaps they make in all aspects. That to me is truly deserving of respect if some thing can change with the times and then peoples minds.

demanding respect though, I wouldn't be able to wrap my head around that.

editv2: lastly, I think its probably important to consider the context of said respect were it might matter more than not: If some one is in the same sphere as some one deliberately to make a point of "disrespecting" them when they themselves are a universe away from that kind of respect then under those terms could be construed as ignorant and of certain loss.

It seems possible that some one could not technically go out of their way to "respect" gaming to some level of acceptance deemed by a avid member of a community but then don't necessarily look down upon it accept with in exceptions of certain limits of their feasibility to weigh their own ideals :v

Last edited by V-Ormix; 12-22-2019 at 06:03 PM..
Old 12-22-2019, 09:55 PM   #30
Not devonin
FFR Player

This is part of why the eSports industry is using the term eSports and not referring to what's being done as "playing games" because games and sports are distinct kinds of things.

I don't understand what you're trying to say by saying "is more respect deserved?? I think not. Respect is some thing that I view as a choice of an individual to give" because those two things aren't mutually exclusive at all.

You the individual can choose to respect professional athletes or not as a class or individuals as you like, but the question is about the greater societal perception of the field as a career, as a pursuit and as a spectacle to watch.
Old 12-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #31
DaBackpack
~ お ま ん こ ~

Send a message via Skype™ to DaBackpack

short answer: no

long answer: hell no

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moogy View Post
no one cares
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Dan Hedgehog View Post
there are 743 matches for hedgehog suicide on deviantart
that's kind of a sad statistic
DaBackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:55 PM   #32
V-Ormix
Banned

Quote:
the question is about the greater societal perception of the field as a career, as a pursuit and as a spectacle to watch.
Or is it about a societal perception needing to be greater than it already is?

Clearly some one has to resonate on a particular wave length to view some thing as a spectacle and not ironically falling short of some thing they find impressive even practically in the same degree of cognitive ability.

Its more like people have weird rules for what fits their idea of a true accomplishment although only as weird as others perceive them.

also hold on, whats not mutually exclusive?? Sounds like you have a random bone to pick with my opinion on the topic :P talk about a dead on target of my post.

edit:
Quote:
I don't understand what you're trying to say by saying "is more respect deserved?? I think not. Respect is some thing that I view as a choice of an individual to give" because those two things aren't mutually exclusive at all.
I think what I was saying can be taken for face value?? I'm under the impression that a thread title such as this was more of curiosity and elaboration on other angles for conversation :v

Last edited by V-Ormix; 12-23-2019 at 07:03 PM..
Old 12-23-2019, 07:12 PM   #33
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

I thought for sure this thread was going to be like a "Rise up oppressed gamers!!!!" meme

eSports are just as valid as real sports
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:13 PM   #34
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

at the end of the day you can basically sum up every single thing that the "public/common media" is against or doesn't respect etc as "it would make us less money", in 100% of situations i feel this is true

esports dont have tons of trainers and coaches and shit and they dont have dedicated tv channels etc yet, so theyre perceived as worth less than regular sports
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:44 PM   #35
V-Ormix
Banned

Some of those drone races they do in stadiums are sick, I had only heard about it for the first time as a concept from a friend but then had seen it on tv at a irish pub and eatery and was like o cool.
Old 12-24-2019, 06:52 AM   #36
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

For the question in the thread title, it really depends on what aspect we're respecting in what a video game is.

The question specifically for gamers, however...

It depends on context, but in majority of cases, that's a flat "no" no matter how much you slice it up. Gamers are consumers and hobbyist for the most part. The only way someone labeled as a "gamer" would get respect is if said person is using the title for a good cause. Like charity fundraising or what have you. I don't believe eSports has the same amount of respect outside of a franchise.

For example, would you have respect for a Smash Ultimate top player if you're not interested in competitive Smash?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2020, 11:11 AM   #37
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

no
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2020, 11:14 AM   #38
mi40
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Do gamblers and lootbox gamblers deserve more respect?
Old 08-6-2020, 11:58 AM   #39
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

I no longer remember what Ludology means

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 08-6-2020 at 11:59 AM.. Reason: It's the study of games and gaming, especially video games.
Old 08-6-2020, 12:19 PM   #40
Dynam0
The Dominator

This is a bit of a leading question in that you're subtly inferring that gamers / video games do not earn the amount of respect they deserve.

This is an incredibly subjective discussion and I think we need to use some common sense here. On the one end of the spectrum you have WoW guy from South Park (plus the main characters) who have a toxic nd addictive relationship with games, and many of these stereotypical gamers exist. There's actually a term in Japan for this behaviour - Hikikomori which is becoming more and more prevalent.

The other end of the spectrum is one of balance where video games and gamers take a more hobbyist approach while also earning an education, working, and building a stronger resume so they can be self-sufficient.

In some instances you have gifted gamers and content creators that can actually earn a living solely by playing games. This is akin to becoming drafted by the NBA or some high position that is extremely competitive. You could compare it to winning the lottery, who knows.

Again, common sense thoughts here but I think gamers "earn" their requisite respect so long as they understand that earning a living from gaming is damned rare and they should have another career picked out in the event their Plan A fails.
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote