Old 01-13-2006, 04:09 PM   #1
Lightknight924
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Lightknight924
Default The Official Rules Of Battle Writing

Battle Writing is a form of writing in which you have to try and out-smart another forum user by challenging them to a battle through Literature. Here are the brief rules to Battle Writing:

1. Create a thread stating the name of the user you wish to challenge. Give it a snazzy name as well.

2. Before making the thread ask a Literature, or any other forum user to moderate the battle. They will determine the clean winner rather than one of the challengers. (Feel free to ask me. )

3. Design Your Battle: If you are the opposer calling out the battle than it is up to you to choose your setting and plot. For each action you post. THERE IS NO LIMIT TO THE LENGTH OF THE BATTLE.

4. Begin Fighting: Write your post. (Opposer first along with his plot and setting with a character description and some neat facts that may or may not affect you in a battle) Then the challenger with his character description and neat facts. Then basically fight out your moves through writing. Any "I stabbed you in the chest and you died" and you will lose the battle automatically. Put description into your attacks.

5. Put It In Pokemon Form: Fight your battles with attacks going back and forth like so:

User 1: (Insert Attack Description Here).

User 2: (Insert Next Attack Description Here).

User 1: (Insert Attack Description Here).

User 2: (Insert Next Attack Description Here).

So one and so forth.

-----

Hero Point System: Each User who battles will be given a Hero Point Ranking. With titles for each rank. Starting with the best to worst. Champion to Ends Meat.

Each time you challenge some on to a battle you wager on how many points you want to bet. If you win, you gain those many Hero Points. If you lose, you lose the amount you bet to the challenger. BOTH FIGHTERS MUST BET THE SAME AMOUNT OF HERO POINTS. You will go to negotive point amount if necissary.

Well those are the rules. Follow them. You are all warriors. Choose your paths to your destiny. Good Luck! Make sure you pick a User of any kind to Moderate you battle. Happy Battling.

-Lightknight
Lightknight924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Tokzic
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tokzic
Default RE: The Official Rules Of Battle Writing

i am sauron

hero of farrrrrgon

xtra hero points rite

Last edited by Tokzic: Today at 11:59 PM. Reason: wait what
Tokzic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 08:25 PM   #3
Lightknight924
FFR Player

Default RE: The Official Rules Of Battle Writing

Quit making fun of Sente3 for posting his story in Critical Thinking. I don't care how bad it seemed to you guys. At least he has more decency in literature than you. Plus it's Sauru, he's never seen Lord Of the Rings. Or so he claims.

You know, not every idea has to be the perfect idea. Sente wrote his book through an idea that inspired him. Okay, story. Maybe with encouragement it would oif turned out alright.

Same goes for my idea. As well as TWG. When that started it wasn't a huge hit. A few people joined, now they don't stop. So everything needs a chance.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
Afrobean
Admiral in the Red Army
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Afrobean
Default Re: RE: The Official Rules Of Battle Writing

A few quick notes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightknight924
Quit making fun of Sente3 for posting his story in Critical Thinking. I don't care how bad it seemed to you guys. At least he has more decency in literature than you. Plus it's Sauru, he's never seen Lord Of the Rings. Or so he claims.
"Saruman" or "Sauron." There is no "Sauru." Also, the wording of "seen" there is bad, since it's a book. You should have said "read or saw the movie of..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightknight
"You know, not every idea has to be the perfect idea. Sente wrote his book through an idea that inspired him. Okay, story. Maybe with encouragement it would oif turned out alright.
I got little to say here. Basically, just that sente should have known that his story (not a book at all, and even if there were more chapters, it'd need at least 400 chapters to make a novel worthy of the title "book") was formulaic and that it would have been made fun of. He really should have seen that coming.

Quote:
Same goes for my idea. As well as TWG. When that started it wasn't a huge hit. A few people joined, now they don't stop. So everything needs a chance.
Actually, it was a pretty big hit at the beginning. And in fact, your other statement is wrong. "They don't stop"? We're on a hiatus right now.

Now that that's out of the way, I'll get to the real point at hand. This game idea would work better as a thread within the game forum, or as ONE thread within this Lit forum.

That's it, really. Good luck on this, I suppose.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
MalReynolds
CHOCK FULL O' NUTRIENTS
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MalReynolds
Default RE: Re: RE: The Official Rules Of Battle Writing

His first chapter was longer than my first chapter and my book is rounding 175 pages right now (20 chapters).

Mal

"Readers who prefer tension and romance, Maledictions: The Offering, delivers... As serious YA fiction, I’ll give it five stars out of five. As a novel? Four and a half." - Liz Ellor

My new novel:

Maledictions: The Offering.

Now in Paperback!
MalReynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:15 PM   #6
Anonymous
FFR Player

Default Re: RE: The Official Rules Of Battle Writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrobean
A few quick notes:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightknight924
"Saruman" or "Sauron." There is no "Sauru." Also, the wording of "seen" there is bad, since it's a book. You should have said "read or saw the movie of..."

Quote:
"You know, not every idea has to be the perfect idea. Sente wrote his book through an idea that inspired him. Okay, story. Maybe with encouragement it would oif turned out alright.
I got little to say here. Basically, just that sente should have known that his story (not a book at all, and even if there were more chapters, it'd need at least 400 chapters to make a novel worthy of the title "book") was formulaic and that it would have been made fun of. He really should have seen that coming.

Quote:
Actually, it was a pretty big hit at the beginning. And in fact, your other statement is wrong. "They don't stop"? We're on a hiatus right now.

Now that that's out of the way, I'll get to the real point at hand. This game idea would work better as a thread within the game forum, or as ONE thread within this Lit forum.

That's it, really. Good luck on this, I suppose.

A few quick responding notes:

Sauru os Sente's character in his story.

I gave Sente the idea to put it here because I thought you guys would at least give him some tips. Blame me.

I'm aware of your "hiatus". Soon enough though you will play more. Hence you don't stop. You take breaks.

Okay you have me there. Sente has never watched the movie or read the books about The Lord Of The Rings. Or so he claims.

Now to the most debatable part: If I put that in the game forum or Garbage Bin For Games. It would involve not serious posting nor much talent. It would be a longer form of 10 hits hurt and heal thread. This involves writing to it. As well as someone chosen to mod the battle. One thread? Alright that is fine, I hope everyone looks in it often so they know if they're being challenged. I don't expect like fifty topics to be made and clutter the forum. It's not going to be that big of a hit. If it does then fine, we'll put it in one thread and hopefully sticky it.

In fact, it would probaly be a good idea to sticky this to when it gets off the ground. That's speaking hypethetically though. If it works out.

This involves everything the Literature Forum requires. Talent, strategy, plot, detail, interesting twists, and fair judgement in which the moderator of the battle decides the victorious one.

So lets see who is brave enough to star it off. I would but I already made one involving New York City. I challenged Mal....apparently he won. Might I add the rules weren't written yet. So now they are. Lets begin.
Anonymous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
Snapps
NO DOUBT GET LOUD
FFR Simfile Author

I remember playing RPGs on other forums and ASB a lot. This is nothing like ASB.

My RPGs either pitted everyone to write a story about their character, and later they all meat up and then we take turns writing for everyone. Or we would go the route where everyone would take turns writing paragraph after paragraph book style, having every character inside it.

ASB was Anime Style Battle, which was mainly Pokemon lol. It was really fun too, we would tell what attacks they use and the host tells a detailed story about that round with the battle. They usually came out really fun to read. These lasted atleast 7 pages. Also that we had to do little things like level up Pokemon and gain items to put in our Item thread and Pokemon thread.

Wow I was really weird .
Snapps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 09:40 PM   #8
Lightknight924
FFR Player

Great snapps, start off our first one then since you have some partial-related expirience. Choose you moderator and begin.

The person you choose to mod can be ANYONE from the forums. Someone who is familiar with the Literature Forum would be reccomended. Read the rules. Be creative. Most importantly, kick ass. Oh and have fun to.
Old 01-14-2006, 09:46 AM   #9
Tokzic
FFR Player

The reason I made a sarcastic comment is because trying to roleplay battles is extraordinarily stupid. When I hosted my roleplaying site, I made an experience system and dice-roll oriented battle system which was based on honesty since there was no real way of telling whether someone had made up dice rolls or not.

The problem with trying to roleplay battles right out of your head is it's not possible. Writing a battle between two characters of your own is easy because you control both, but saying, "I throw a punch and it hits Character in the shoulder, disabling his right arm," is unrealistic. Who says he's not way faster than you? Who says his muscle mass isn't so great mere hand-to-hand blows ricochet off with little to no damage whatsoever? When you go with the "throw in the towel" style of winning, all you end up getting is whoever's most passive admitting defeat. How fun.

Old 01-14-2006, 10:32 AM   #10
Lightknight924
FFR Player

Not if the moderater of the battle decides the true winner. You keep attacking and hurting each other until the mod chosen by the person who set up the battle decides to choose the winner. Then you get a +1 hero point. Loser gets -1 hero point. I don't see where a person has to admit lose. When it's not up to them.
Old 01-14-2006, 06:38 PM   #11
Tokzic
FFR Player

Bob punches Joe.

Joe gets blown backwards into the alley wall, falling to the ground. He rights himself, his body aching in protest.

Bob kicks Joe.

Joe falls, landing on his hands and shredding flesh as a result. He pushes himself up, trying to keep his composure. He throws an uppercut at Bob.

Bob dodges the punch. Bob drop kicks Joe.

Joe is grazed, but is suddenly enfuriated. He looks towards Joe with a new fighting spirit, and -

Moderator: bob wins lol

It doesn't work.

Old 01-18-2006, 04:09 PM   #12
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

The problem with your counterexample is that what Bob's author is doing (assuming a hit) is a common form of bunnying. The judge would be responsible for warning and possibly DQing those who think they can get away with that kind of bull crap.

If anyone cares to disagree with me on this, I would like to request that we settle our differences via a battle thread set in a typical fantasy setting, so that I can demonstrate that it works. If possible, I would like Lightknight to judge the battle.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 04:21 PM   #13
mead1
Cerebellumberjack
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to mead1 Send a message via Skype™ to mead1

This thread is lol. I can take anyone on in something like this. And I've like only done it once. There really isn't any way to lose if you just keep inventing dramatic ways for your character to still be alive.
mead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:06 PM   #14
Pumble
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Pumble
Default Re: RE: Re: RE: The Official Rules Of Battle Writing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mead1
This thread is lol. I can take anyone on in something like this. And I've like only done it once. There really isn't any way to lose if you just keep inventing dramatic ways for your character to still be alive.
this is tru

Nobody ever dies and it eventually becomes a more wordy way of saying:

guy1: i kill you infinity

guy2: i lived somehow and then killed you back infinity plus 1

Also, shut up, i didn't ask to moderate the Bob vs Joe match, they forced me.
Old 01-18-2006, 06:59 PM   #15
Lightknight924
FFR Player

Default RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: The Official Rules Of Battle Writing

Fine someone set one up and I'll moderate it to show how a victory should go. In each post you have to have more than, Bill: Slaps Bob. More like, Bill: Ran up to Bob fiercly and whipped my habd across his face causing him to fall on the ground. Face beat red where I had hit him.

More like that. So whoever is ready to start one go ahead and I'll moderate it. For an example ofcourse.
Old 01-18-2006, 07:20 PM   #16
Tokzic
FFR Player

From my experience in RPing (pretty much all I did on the computer ages 9-13), there's two ways of doing this and both ways suck.

1) No declaring the results of your attack, as this is godmoding. This one sucks because both roleplayers won't stop dodging. Result: The realistic guy who lets his guy gets hit most loses.
2) When you attack, mention damage to maximize realism. This one sucks because both players won't stop hitting overdramatically. Result: The one who states they hit most/hardest wins.

This makes for an unrealstic and frankly boring battle that erupts into arguing unless both roleplayers are extremely passive, in which case it's just unrealistic and frankly boring without the arguing. Battle isn't a dance, where there's an exact way to do it - it's a facing-off of battle skills. If you decide when you dodged and when you hit in battle, it wouldn't be a fight. Hence why a battle system is needed if you even want to attempt this sort of thing with a decent result.

I had a really complicated, drawn-out one on my roleplaying site way back when based on the trust system, but it got deleted when I went on vacation due to "administrator inactivity". Screw you, Avidgamers.

Old 01-18-2006, 07:40 PM   #17
Lightknight924
FFR Player

There's more ways to Mod than just a user telling who one and who lost. This is the LITERATURE FORUM. Be creative. Give a battle some style. One battle could be in the Colluseum and there could be two gladiators fighting off or one as a gladiator and one as a Lion. The mod could be Julius Ceaser. In the end the mod holds up his thumb and declares if the person wins or loses by pointing up or thumbs down.

Or, this could make it really interesting. You could have a lot of users like seven or ten. They could all fight. It could be Lord of the Rings Style with the armies attacking. Or Star Wars style with you being the Jedis and the other TEAM OF ANY NUMBER be the CIS. Come on! Where is the creativity in FFR? Am I the only one who will step out from denying this idea and actually want to try it? You could make it a war battle, infrantry, air combat with your team of pilots in your bombardiar. Seriously. Lets try this out.

Quit denying it and at least test it out. If it doesn't work out and bombs....then oh well. What do we have to lose?
Old 01-19-2006, 05:00 AM   #18
mead1
Cerebellumberjack
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to mead1 Send a message via Skype™ to mead1

You could have a dice-rolling system to determine hits and calculate damage!

Or you could just go play D&D with people that care...
mead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:06 PM   #19
Lightknight924
FFR Player

Or, you can try my idea.........then go to what ever sles if it doesn't work out well.