Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Introductions
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #321
PrawnSkunk
Administrator
User Administrator
AdministratorDeveloperFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: How to get better at FFR

Speaking of loving songs, when i began FFR, I practiced immensely on a level 4 song called "Love".

It's a catchy tune, and slowly and gently introduces you to hitting two arrows at once..
I highly recommend this song to new FFR players!
PrawnSkunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #322
Zekramcross
The Break Ends
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Zekramcross

If you had a music or band class of any kind. You should already feel at home with this game. Since each arrow color represents a rhythmic value.

Zekramcross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #323
Goron HD
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Goron HD Send a message via Skype™ to Goron HD

omg awesomeness
Goron HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2011, 09:21 AM   #324
Monochrone
FFR Player

I started playing FFR a very long time ago, then took a two-year break during University. I'm trying to get back into it now, and it's really hard to get back to the skill level I was at in High School. Feeling like a "newbie" again, I came here to find tips to get better.

I'm realizing that I never read any of the forums, participated in the FFR community, asked for any help or tips, or talked to anyone about FFR gameplay in all my years of playing. I've been playing one-handed for ~5 years, and never considered changing styles.

I think I'm gonna do this right, this time. Explore forums, experiment, participate.

Thanks for this thread, and hello to everyone here. I'm gonna try to actually play this game now, for real...
Monochrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:32 PM   #325
Mullagahlujah
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Hey FFR! I've been playing for a while now but I'm a complete noob when it comes to forums.
I was wondering though: After playing a lot of difficult songs I feel kind of worried about my keyboard on my laptop which I think hurts my play a little bit. I was wondering if the keyboard you use can affect how well you do on a song.
For example: if you have a wireless keyboard would that throw off your accuracy because of signal delay? Are keyboards with heavier keys worse because of clunky-ness or better because it's harder for your fingers to move off the keys?
Mullagahlujah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:58 PM   #326
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Well, there are all sorts of little things with posture, hardware and other things that are by and large only relevant to top players (with the notable exception of ghosting, a phenomenon tied to keyboard architecture and how it handles presses of three or more keys). For the most part, simply focus on getting better--it can take months or even years for any significant improvements to happen, but when it does, it's suddenly all worth it. Only worry about things like your choice of keyboard if you're noticing truly crippling problems with latency, or if one or more of your chosen keys are busted.

In a fit of rage, one of our own even famously hit his monitor with his keyboard so hard that he broke the LCD, but that's a completely different topic.

Last edited by igotrhythm; 01-13-2012 at 12:01 AM..
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-3-2012, 06:55 AM   #327
travis1010
FFR Player

Well I still suck anyway even though i've been practicing for a long time
travis1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-3-2012, 07:26 AM   #328
bob bob
This Is How We Do It~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bob bob Send a message via MSN to bob bob Send a message via Skype™ to bob bob

nice size 7 font there bro
5th Place: 7th Official Tournament D5

bob bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-3-2012, 07:44 AM   #329
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

n1 bump

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:24 AM   #330
Zapmeister
FFR Player

I really suck at this game. I played this song 114 times and after all that I can't even get a positive score, even though I managed to pass. How can I improve? I'll get a replay next time I do that while logged in if that helps, but I'm reluctant to, since I don't want my grandtotal and credits to go down.

(Why is imgur not working?)

EDIT: If you couldn't tell, this post was meant to be a bit of a joke, I tried to get the lowest possible (combo based) score on any song while still passing >____< but yeah besides that, I'm still pretty awful and could use advice

Theorem: If you have a large enough number of monkeys, and a large enough number of computer keyboards, one of them will sight-read AAA death piano on stealth. And the ffr community will forever worship it. Proof Example

ask me anything here

mashed FCs: 329

r1: 5
r2: 4
r3: 6
r4: 8
r5: 3
r6: 5
r7: 15
final position: 4th

Last edited by Zapmeister; 11-19-2012 at 04:22 PM..
Zapmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #331
i heart candy
Retired
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapmeister View Post
I really suck at this game. I played this song 114 times and after all that I can't even get a positive score, even though I managed to pass. How can I improve? I'll get a replay next time I do that while logged in if that helps, but I'm reluctant to, since I don't want my grandtotal and credits to go down.

(Why is imgur not working?)
Btw, I don't have any intentions in hijacking this thread at all. Just some friendly advice I'm trying to give out.

I don't know how long you've been playing, but from the looks of your scores it doesn't look like that very long since most of your scores look mashed. I've been only playing seriously for about a year (which is nothing compared to some of these arrow smashers around here), but I feel like I'm comfortable enough in my situation to give some advice that will help you.

ihc's FFR tips
I just want you to know that these tips worked for me and I feel I improved pretty fast over the period of time I've been playing. So hopefully they'll do you some good.

Rule #1
Stop mashing. Don't do it anymore, and don't do it anymore in the future. There are some players that say mashing has helped them, but I don't see how it will help you when it comes to ffr. After all, this game is all about accuracy, and shooting for AAA's. You need to train yourself to think you're going to AAA any song you play. You need to train yourself to become more confident in this game. If you can do this, I believe you will go far in this game.

Rule #2
Do not be discouraged at all. Everyone does have their bad days (even really good players). We all have them, and so will you. Keep playing, and don't give up if you want to get better. It is important to have fun and not make this game a chore.

Rule #3
Take breaks! (God, I am terrible at following this rule.) Breaks are important to getting better. You need to allow time for your body and mind to refresh (good sleep goes a long ways).

Now to make sure your FFR engine is optimized to the best, I highly encourage you to look into using a standalone player. Click here. Read this thread carefully, and figure out what flash player works the best with your operating system. The last thing you want is to use a flash player that will cheat you out of your scores. Make sure all extra processes will not affect your FFR gameplay (causing lag spikes, etc.) You can use game booster to help alleviate that easily, but sometimes just ridding your PC of huge programs like Skype, MSN, or whatever helps a bunch. If you use Vista or Windows 7, turn off Aero theme and use the Windows Classic theme.

"IHC, now since I have a good working flash player, what do I do next?"
Simple. Read the OP carefully in this thread. Learn to play spread and find a comfortable set up for you. I do not believe in copying someone else setup because what works for them might not work for you. Experiment around, and find something that works best.

Which brings me to my next topic...the keyboard. The keyboard is very important. If you like flat keys, get a good flat key keyboard.(logitech illuminated seems to be the most popular around here.) If you like mech kbs, get a good mech kb. Just make sure it's wired and not wireless. Wireless kbs don't always seem to be the best for FFR because of the response timings.

Like subin said in the OP, you must always set goals! Shoot for a certain number of AAA's. Or try to FC hard songs without mashing. Go for a new AAA out of your comfort zone. Goals will bring you far in this game; once you surpass your goals, make new ones and keep going. Who knows? You might be the next Staiain/Isaac/Dossar one day or something.

I can go more in depth of what else I did to get better, but like I said previously, I'm not trying to hijack subin's well though out thread. This is just my foundation.

And that's about it honestly...and I don't know about imgur. Sometimes it can be a little wacky. :X

Last edited by i heart candy; 11-19-2012 at 11:27 AM..
i heart candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:28 PM   #332
Razor
Dan "Razor" Devilz
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

great tips
3rd: Retro City
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choofers
I play Stepmania, so I know everything about media formats.
Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:11 PM   #333
Novelties
Fight for what you want!
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Post Re: How to get better at FFR

Well i have 1.05 years playing, and people say's that im very well skilled now, im going to leave some things i have made to make myself a better player

1.-Playing hard songs without mashing, for me this is very important to improve skills like speed and reading, this will be hard on the beggining but with the time you will see how you improve.

2.-Seeing the middle part of the screen, not the acurrasy, not the top or bottom of the screen (depending on wich scroll you use) this will let you read better the arrows, also if you have difficulties getting perfects with this make sure your Offset its right, this means when the sound's starts you press your key and get a perfect.

3.-Be sure you dont get random goods, I passed for this problem when I started to play this game, and trust me this is very very frustrating, if you have this problem try to follow the Standalone Thread, it helps alot!

4.-If you can, get into a tourney and do your best!, trust me this helps ALOT after participating on the 7th official tourney my skills were amazing! participating on a tourney will make you more serious on the AAAing part, also trains your nerves.

5.-Hard as hell parts, When you find some of a very difficult part, you should go and see the bot replay of the song, and in the hard part pause the song and memorise the order of those part-parts, this will help to play those parts without difficulties

This are some tips that helped myself, im not sure if this will help you but i hope it does! lol good luck everyone who wants to improve, if u have any question I´m going to be here to help you!
Novelties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:05 AM   #334
SallowKnight
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I would say that another good strategy is to start from you lowest ranked songs. That way you are working on your average rank. You are getting your FC's (Full Combos) up and your also working on your accuracy. Its helped me out a bunch. Been using that method for the past two days.
SallowKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #335
InFaMau5
FFR Player

Thumbs up Re: How to get better at FFR

Spread is probably the best way to get better at FFR.

Example: (left) A (Up) S (Down) K (Right) L
InFaMau5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 05:46 PM   #336
FissionMailed1
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to FissionMailed1

Why would you give away that long lost secret? Now everybody can get good at FFR

YOUR THROBBING MULTIFARIOUS LUSTFUL DESIRES ARE COMPLETED N YOUR HYPER-ORANGE SELF, YOU MAKE ME LOVE AGAIN, YOU'VE CHANGED MY HEART, MY MELANCHOLIA DISAPPEARS WHEN YOU ARE INSIDE OF ME, MY HUMAN RAGE IS TEMPERED WHEN I AM INSIDE YOU, THE SECRET IS COMMUNICATION, LONGEVITY, STAMINA, REPETITION, FURY, SOULFUL KISSING, EARPLUGS. YOU FUCKING CORPORATE COCKS AND CUNTS.

MY ANXIETY COMPLETE, MY DESIRE REPLETE, THE TASTE OF ORANGE BLOOD AND CUM AND GREENBACKS RUNNING DOWN MY FACE. THE STREETS WILL RUN ORANGE WITH YOUR MIXTURE OF CHEETOS AND HUNDRED DOLLAR BILLS REGURGITATED AND EATEN AND SHIT OUT AGAIN AND EATEN AGAIN.

YOU ARE MY SCULPTURE, MY SCULPTRA, MY SELF-DEFINITION. MY DEFINITION OF HUMANITY, MY HARMONY. MY HEART AND MY MIND.

YOU ARE SO ORANGE. SO CRUNCHY. SO CONSUMABLE.

THE NEW ORANGE UNDERGROUND IS THE ORANGE UP MY ASS. AND YOUR ASS.

I LOVE YOU CHEETOS.
FissionMailed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #337
CDCan
Thank you kindly
FFR Veteran

nice little read
CDCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-3-2013, 04:36 PM   #338
goose_goldwing
Banned
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to goose_goldwing Send a message via Yahoo to goose_goldwing

My best advice to you new players...would be to increase the speed of the arrows...make a greater margin of space in between each arrow, so that you can focus more on each individual arrow while still keeping the beat/rhythm in mind. Not only does it allow you to see streams and jacks better...but it shows those 'hidden' off beat arrows that are color coded, but not in proper sequence. This will also let you see doubles->quads (jumps) in mid stream alot easier...but less time to react. Not only does this allow things to become more easily read for better accuracy, but in terms of peripheral visions...as you look into the middle of the screen (or in one spot) your brain works and functions quicker/better to speed and velocity....meaning, if you increase the arrow speed to optimum reading speed, your brain will trigger each arrow within the song into beat with ease. Your fingers will most likely just 'keep up' with what your brain is telling you...since you can now HEAR, SEE AND ANTICIPATE arrows all at once and in combination....this equals PWN.
goose_goldwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2013, 09:43 PM   #339
WheatleyCore
FFR Player

I've been trying different ways on the keyboard to hit arrows. I have to admit the letters are alot easier than the small arrows c: . I should keep practicing.
WheatleyCore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-7-2013, 09:46 PM   #340
James May
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatleyCore View Post
I've been trying different ways on the keyboard to hit arrows. I have to admit the letters are a lot easier than the small arrows c: . I should keep practicing.
That's the best thing you should do. Keep on practicing and if you're comfortable using letters as your noteskin, then be my guest. Albeit it surprises me that you find letters easier than the arrows (even orbular) but if that suits you best, then go on ahead c:

James May is offline   Reply With Quote