Old 12-1-2010, 07:17 PM   #261
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: How to get better at FFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reincarnate View Post
This entire thread is unhelpful

People will blatantly ignore advice that *actually helps*. Playing stuff over and over again will only help you so much.
It would be interesting if you could figure out and try to explain how you actually play in a very detailed description. From posture, to explanation to how you hit patterns or every factors that you think that could be have a role with optimizing your gameplay. I feel like that there's a lot of people over there that would need some serious "FFR Coaching", to get over their current limits.

My theory is to constantly play songs that you're barely comfortable with and try to improve every sections of the song itself until you reach the AAA. Like asking yourself questions such as why am i getting a good here? What can i do to fix this? etc. It takes a while but it eventually pays out if you're good with automatisms. Maybe you're better at sightreading so it could be more interesting to play on random and try to mirror or something to make you think differently in case you have serious trouble to not think. Maybe you just need a break so next time you come back in a better "shape" to play FFR. So many small things can have an impact in this game.. I'm just a bit sad that there's no reference threads to explain all this stuff more in details.

I remember playing La Campanella a bit before going back to Kyrie and AAA out of nowhere. Conditioning yourself seems to be another decent theory and playing Stepmania is obviously a good way to do so if you pick the right songs. Still it would be cool to have something more serious regarding how to get better at FFR with category of things to improve and work on and how etc.

I mean, you can play a game all your life and don't get any better. You can play a game one month while knowing what you are doing and getting a serious skill boost too.. The question is how?

Last edited by Hakulyte; 12-1-2010 at 07:23 PM..
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2010, 07:23 PM   #262
Rtrain
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashpantss View Post
You can if you want too. You just need to experiment with different styles to find the ones that best suits you. you can choose random letters or use the arrow keys. it doesn't really matter. all you have to do it find something you like.
sorry i meant to say how cna i set my keyboard this way i looked in alot of the settings but i guess i am just missing it :/
Rtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2010, 07:25 PM   #263
Andrew Mitchell
Banned
FFR Veteran

play long enough and you'll figure out all these methods by yourself, i've tried every method here without even looking at this thread, most work to a certain degree.
Andrew Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2010, 07:28 PM   #264
leonid
I am leonid
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

- Get a good keyboard if you haven't already.
- Play for a really long time.
- Don't quit for more than 2 months.
- Each time you play something, set a personal goal that's just above your current comfort zone, set a deadline, and try to beat it within the deadline.

If you are looking for a faster way to get better, get some scripts and hack the scoreboard.

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2010, 07:32 PM   #265
OneHandNow
Banned
FFR Veteran

or you can play dumpfiles on SM like me and a lot of other people and end up wrecking FFR

and then realize how dumb ffr is and move on to cooler games like dj max, sm, o2jam, etc
OneHandNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2010, 07:34 PM   #266
leonid
I am leonid

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHandNow View Post
realize how dumb ffr is and move on to cooler games like dj max, sm, o2jam, etc
qft except sm is equally dumb

Proud member of Team No
leonid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2010, 07:46 PM   #267
Andrew Mitchell
Banned
FFR Veteran

join a tournament you'll get quite a nice skill boost in the first one you join, don't worry you won't get beasted there is weight divisions
Andrew Mitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2010, 08:18 PM   #268
Rtrain
FFR Player

well i was new a week or two ago and i went from pretty bad in the rankings to top 300 thousand almost 200 thousand just but switching to askl instead of arrows and just keep practicing
Rtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2010, 10:29 PM   #269
ChrisReams
Trap Music Producer
FFR Veteran

One of the best and simplest tips to getting better at FFR is to go outside of your comfort zone and play songs that are much harder than you're used to. If you keep playing the same songs that you can AAA or SDG over and over, your abilities will stop being tested; and your skill level will come to a hault.
ChrisReams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:37 AM   #270
Mijichu
FFR Player

I've gotten a lot better through playing a lot, and this is the first keyboard ddr-style game I've played, so hurray!

HOWEVER...

Is there something I can do to reduce lag? When I'm playing most songs it will play at a normal speed but then suddenly the frame rate would change (or something?) and the arrows jitter. It pretty much always happens when there are a lot of arrow-mashing in one segment, so it's hard to progress. ): I know it's not my eyes either because it jittered on a 2 (yes, really). Perhaps my internet is just crappy.

If I've posted in the wrong place... sorry!
Mijichu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 08:55 AM   #271
ChiefOluk
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijichu View Post
the arrows jitter.
Blame Flash 10.
Get Flash 9: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/406/kb406791.html
ChiefOluk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 12:01 PM   #272
ChrisReams
Trap Music Producer
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mijichu View Post
I've gotten a lot better through playing a lot, and this is the first keyboard ddr-style game I've played, so hurray!

HOWEVER...

Is there something I can do to reduce lag? When I'm playing most songs it will play at a normal speed but then suddenly the frame rate would change (or something?) and the arrows jitter. It pretty much always happens when there are a lot of arrow-mashing in one segment, so it's hard to progress. ): I know it's not my eyes either because it jittered on a 2 (yes, really). Perhaps my internet is just crappy.

If I've posted in the wrong place... sorry!
And if you're using Windows 7. Right click desktop > Personalize > Scroll down and click Windows Classic theme. This works wonders for me.
ChrisReams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #273
darkchihiro
FFR Player

maybe try A and S keys on the left hand and I and J on the right one, this works great for me! I think it is VERY IMPORTANT to play spread, when i changed from 1 hand to spread i got like x10 times better in the same day (imagine how i sucked haha).

Set a faster speed than x1, i set x1.4, x1.45 and x1.5 it depends on the song, just pick the one you feel more comfortable with, it's MUCH EASIER to get perfects on faster speeds, just test yourself how fast you can go, and practice when you get your limit stick to it for while, and then when you are good at it try to go a little faster, don't do it to fast or you just won't press any key ><, either to slow, you will make loads of good and averages.

I find it pretty obviously but listen carefully to the beat while pressing the keys... it will help a lot, i barely look at the keys.

when i try to master a song and it really frustrates me, I set autofail so every time I don't make a perfect or i miss (depending on my goal if it is a fc or AAA) i restart and try to get better at that part.

don't stick to much to a song, try to play all of them, I usually go random, or pick a high lvl and then a low one, for example in my case are usually the ones that are "hard" for my self for example i usually try to fc a lvl 9, 10 and then to AAA a lvl 4, 5.

another thing i do, is not to play hours and hours without stop, just play a while, then stop, and continue in another time or on the next day, i see it as a muscle, it needs to rest to grow :P (ya.. I love body building ¬¬), and then after a week you will see some good results

just giving some ideas about what I DO, i'm not good AT ALL at ffr, maybe it will help someone...

if you have any advices, questions, or anything you want to say reply me, i'd love it
darkchihiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #274
Oncolus
FFR Player

with the arrows only xD
Oncolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 02:12 AM   #275
Dizzybloom1
FFR Player

You play better when you're sober, or a little tipsy if you're of age only
Dizzybloom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 03:00 AM   #276
potter_rocks_out_loud
I <3 skyetacular
FFR Veteran

I need to switch to spread... fml >.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneHandNow View Post
Subscriptions automatically gives you -10 goods on any song.

You never knew?

Being a mod gives you -30 goods.
And being Synthligh gives you +15 goods on any blue note song no matter what.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisReams View Post
You know you take FFR seriously when your friend comes to pick you up and you bring your keyboard. Dont hate; FFR is serious business
potter_rocks_out_loud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 AM   #277
Pippin667
FFR Player

i need to switch to spread but im not good at it at all, but i know that once i get there ill be great
Pippin667 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #278
omega_grunt666
Nescio quid faciam
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pippin667 View Post
i need to switch to spread but im not good at it at all, but i know that once i get there ill be great
Spread is definitely the way to go.

Some patterns just require it, I swear... Though there are a few things that can be tricky to get right playing spread. (I still feel awkward doing down/right or up/left trills)

Don't be afraid to still play the way you do now though, keep in practice. I still occasionally play one-handed or index just to stretch, or for fun/a challenge.

Just wish my main computer wasn't down... Really want to play FFR right now, but this computer is a piece of junk (Vista on only 2 gigs of ram? WHY?)

Last edited by omega_grunt666; 01-27-2011 at 11:59 AM..
omega_grunt666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #279
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!

1 hand for 3 months

=spread for 3 days

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #280
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oncolus View Post
with the arrows only xD
I played that way for literally 4+ years and was barely scraping the bottom of the barrel as far as what we now consider D2 (I was D3 in the last official tourney before the Big Crash, but barely cleared the second round before getting wrecked by Rumia). Then, sometime after the break, I got the fabulous idea to move my right hand to the 8 and 6 keys on the number pad.

Instant speed boost. I can actually hit jumpstream now, and my accuracy at speed has gone way up. I know I've blown away Anthony, at least. Moral of the story: Don't be afraid to experiment with different styles. The results just might surprise you.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote