Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-5-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
-paexaea-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Super Secret Mega Awesome Theme Idea

bufang introduced this idea to me. if it were to be given a chance and people actually DID SOME ****, this would give positive results and maybe a theme. this is what he posted somewhere secret.......................................................................................................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargroup View Post
okay, so like, I've had it with all the stupid impressions people get of stepmania and the lack of features for keyboard players, so I decided to start this project

I tried to start this once on odi once, but some people were too stupid to comprehend how awesome this actually is. so I brought it here

The whole point of this, is to actually create and compile a full stepmania game, sorta like DDR or ITG or Pop'n or any rhythm game you actually buy. Instead of downloading a DDR simulator, downloading crappy files, playing with retarded key settings and noteskins, why not compile a whole game, so that when you install it, you have all the key settings, QUALITY FILES, sensible noteskins, all prepared in advance. This way, people can play keyboard stepmania the "proper" way instead of being big ******s like they are. Also, we won't call it stepmania anymore. We'll call it something that actually makes sense, like "Keyboard Maestro," or "Musical Keys" or something along those lines (yes they are horrible names they are only examples shut up). Also, in case you haven't noticed, I'm advocating spread play here.

So what we're gonna do, is create a theme that actually suits what we're looking for, and then add the things that need to be added. For example, the gap between AA and AAA is huge for a keyboard file, but not for a pad file. We need to redo the ranking so that they actually make sense for keyboard. We should also find a place to put the step author name next to each song, since now the person who stepped the file is going to be significant. Optimally though, we should be able to show the step author for EACH CHART, not just the whole file, to accommodate multi-chart collabs. Oh, and we'll need an unlock system too, in order to make people want to keep playing. Either by achievement or credits or something (and we're not gonna be like FFR and make retarded achievements).

And for all you fellow solojerkers, this makes it much easier to get new people to play, release more charts, and people don't have to search for a noteskin or any extra stuff to get started.

And finally, compile and release. If it's successful we'll do a second one, and all we have to do is tweak theme if necessary and add more files. Either way though, the theme should be a huge success for all keyboard players, since the theme will actually be made for keyboard and not pad. We'll never need "StepMania" again (unless you're a pad player or have pad files, but we'll keep that as a separate program). We'll still keep the editor open of course, but we also should figure out a way to lock the preset files so they aren't easily deleted hehe.

Who's with me? (Long project ahead and we'll need lots of people to help, especially for the theme.) Post on other forums and spread the word etc.
Old 07-5-2009, 10:39 PM   #2
MrMagic5239
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to MrMagic5239 Send a message via MSN to MrMagic5239
Default Re: Super Secret Mega Awesome Theme Idea

Well, I didn't even read it cause I honostly don't care, but I figured id throw in the fact that it isn't so Super Secret anymore

Lulzzzzzzz
Arme (Mage/Alchemist/Warlock/Battle Mage) Lvl 80/80 MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Ronan (Spell Knight/Dragon Knight/Aegis Knight/Abyss Knight) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Lass (Thief/Assassin/Dark Assassin/Striper) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4, EXP Rank 1
Ryan (Druid/Sentinel/Viken/Xenocider) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Amy (Dancer/Musician/Siren/Superstar) Lvl 78/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 13
Sieghart (Gladiator/Warlord/Duelist/Prime Knight) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Jin (Fighter/Shisa/Asura/Rama) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4 EXP Rank 1
Zero (Seeker/Wanderer) Lvl 79/80, MP Bars 4/4 EXP Rank 9
Dio (Stygian/Drakar//Leviathan) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Rin (Caller) Lvl 77/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 32
Rufus (Bounty Hunter/Killer/Ravager/Arbiter) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1
Ley (Summoner/Harbringer) lvl 79/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 21
Asin (Desciple) Lvl 80/80, MP Bars 4/4, EXP Rank 1 (Eastern Rain Liquid Jade aquired)
MrMagic5239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2009, 10:41 PM   #3
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

sounds like mungyodance but without the furries and pad files
Old 07-5-2009, 10:47 PM   #4
RB_IcePh0enix
FFR Player

This is an interesting idea. Approximately how many songs would be on one game? Is stargroup actually working on developing this?

A few ideas:
-Make sure to add plenty of cmods. Ranging from maybe 400-800 with intervals of 25 or 50
-Make sure the files have multiple (like, at least three) difficulties. This will make the game more accessable to newbies and veterans alike.
-Add some songs you can unlike or other cool little things you can unlock. I feel like if this is one cohesive game, it should have things you can unlock once you achieve things.

But yeah, if this is developed I would certainly play it, though I would probably keep my SM as well. I would love to help, but I suck at simfile making and I don't know **** about software or gaming design, so good luck :.
RB_IcePh0enix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2009, 10:55 PM   #5
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

cmods from 300-1500
Old 07-5-2009, 11:13 PM   #6
Wineandbread
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

I think it'd be more convenient if you could just input a number for cmod instead of making like a million different cmods to scroll through. Although using the stepmania engine, I'm, not sure if that could happen.

I like the idea, but I think it's a lot easier to just throw packs into Stepmania. ^^;;
We climb up a lot of ladders, and fall down a lot of chutes.

Taking "all" oddjobs! PM me requests. Requests filled: 2 last active Mar. 6th, 2017

Keep it real pls. Will deny requests I cannot manage.

Wineandbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2009, 11:24 PM   #7
Nightfirecat
...back from the dead.
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Nightfirecat

I guess that could happen, but I think it'd be a lot more simple to provide some sort of download or something that would just add a bunch of stuff to a preexisting Stepmania folder. Sounds like it would have to be made to appeal to those who have never played Stepmania, because tbh, I don't think I'd pay money for it.

[My Profile] | [My Music] | [Play FFR] | [My Photobucket] | [My DeviantArt]

AAAs: 210 (186+7+17)
Best AAAs: Vertex BETA, Fighting for Control, Nova Pulser
Recent AAAs: {Firestorm}, Dazzling Destiny, Hellbeat v2p

2nd place in 3rd Official Tournament
1st place in Jugglin/Jteh's 1st Tournament
Nightfirecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2009, 11:39 PM   #8
[TeRa]
FFR Player
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I'm for making a stepmania like o2jam.
Like, legitly making it a server with a ingame song download section and rooms and ****.
Making songs record scores, using the MIGS scoring system and our new grade letters with new requirements.

K, I'm just naming things that'll never happen :<
If anyone ever got a server up that ran like that, I could see SM being a huge successful game, I'd subscribe and pay monthly or something to help the server running. SM could get rly big, then we could have pro stepmans that get paid to play in stepman tournaments and shiz !_!

Last edited by [TeRa]; 07-5-2009 at 11:56 PM..
[TeRa] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-5-2009, 11:43 PM   #9
moches
FFR Player

This is an amazing idea, but the problem is that after you release it, then what? Release new packs? Why do that when you already have over 1000+ songs? Add to that that the size of the file would be ginormous. We're talking, like, 5GB here. What site is going to be able to hold all of that?
moches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-6-2009, 02:08 AM   #10
Virus881
FFR Player

Some ideas:
· Support for 20th, 28th and 36th notes
· Making a comment tool for the level editor, or implement time signatures.
Old 07-6-2009, 02:10 AM   #11
who_cares973
FFR Player

ddream inside the engine so i dont have to open up a different program to step stuff

i like tera's ideas !_!
Old 07-6-2009, 04:13 AM   #12
Patashu
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile Author

Location: we traced the call...it's coming from inside the house
Send a message via AIM to Patashu Send a message via MSN to Patashu Send a message via Yahoo to Patashu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virus881 View Post
Some ideas:
· Support for 20th, 28th and 36th notes
· Making a comment tool for the level editor, or implement time signatures.
not without rebuilding the editor and possibly much of the core of the game mister
Best non-AAAs: ERx8 v2 (14-1-0-4), Hajnal (3-0-0-0), RunnyMorning (8-0-0-4), Xeno-Flow (1-0-0-3), Blue Rose (35-2-0-20), Ketsarku (14-0-0-0), Silence (1-0-0-0), Lolo (14-1-0-1)
http://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/xiaoven/solorulzsig.png
Patashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-7-2009, 10:35 PM   #13
Virus881
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patashu View Post
not without rebuilding the editor and possibly much of the core of the game mister
The truth is that 20th, 28th and 36th are available to put in a simfile, but only via text (Shiner's The Dance of Eternity has 20th notes); also the time signatures and the comment lines; so it would only be an editor rebuilding.

Also, merge the SM editor with DDream Studio would be great!
Old 07-8-2009, 12:01 AM   #14
bender5
The 40% Iron Chef
FFR Veteran

You guys are posting ideas like the SM community is full of trained computer programmers.

An idea like this would work fine if it's just simple gfx work. Basically it would be a more user friendly and fully loaded of SM ready to go out to the public.
Old 07-16-2009, 09:42 PM   #15
shinobi96
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightfirecat View Post
I think it'd be a lot more simple to provide some sort of download or something that would just add a bunch of stuff to a preexisting Stepmania folder.
So basically, we could just take Stepmania, load it up with a couple themes and noteskins everyone likes. Then get a bunch of the best simfiles (for a few different skill levels). These can come from packs, single files, whatever. Change a few settings to appeal to the average keyboard player, and now we have a quality version of Stepmania.

The reason this would work is because if I was a beginner that didn't know what he was doing, I would definitely download something like this. I wouldn't have to look around for files, themes, noteskins, etc. because it's all already there and ready to go. Then, once I'm more comfortable with the game and how it works, I can find more to suit my tastes.

The point is, Stepmania's still completely intact. It's just much more beginner-friendly.

Oh, and if you want to add DDream then that would be fine too =D

shinobi96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #16
x-constellation-x
FFR Player

Checklist:
1. Rename "StepMania."
2. Change appearance to avoid similarities to other rhythm games.
3. Rename "singles" and "solo" to 4-key and 6-key respectively.
4. Default noteskin should be some form of bar or circle, not arrows.
5. Include a set of noteskins.
- Color is key-based and color is rhythm-based
- Different shapes: bars, circles, squares, diamonds
6. Change default scroll to down.
8. Change default speed mods and add a set.
9. Option to lock certain files to Xmod or Cmod.
10. Fix editor bug where up/down are inverted when editing in down scroll.
11. Main game keys are labeled 1-6 instead of up, down, left, right, upleft, and upright.
12. Change default key configuration.
13. Redo ranking system.
14. Redo scoring system.
15. Make step author for each chart visible when selecting songs.
16. Create an achievement system.
17. Add quality files.
18. Add 6-key versus mode and perhaps 7-key.
19. Optional flashing light column explosions.
20. Optional note labels in editor.
21. Implement limitless numerical difficulty values. If possible, include multiple values for different techniques.
22. Compile.

* Huge issue: 4.0 has problems with minifreeze timing.
* We should also figure out what kind of appearance will be best liked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB_IcePh0enix View Post
This is an interesting idea. Approximately how many songs would be on one game? Is stargroup actually working on developing this? etc...
yes I'm working on this. I started the freaking project

also your ideas were already thought of. thanks for contributing though

Quote:
Originally Posted by moches View Post
This is an amazing idea, but the problem is that after you release it, then what? Release new packs? Why do that when you already have over 1000+ songs? Add to that that the size of the file would be ginormous. We're talking, like, 5GB here. What site is going to be able to hold all of that?
yeah release new packs, additions, patches, etc. if you have over 1000 songs then be it, though I doubt we'll reach that number, since the official list of files is going to be handpicked by dark chancellors. game skeleton itself is nothing though.

hahahahahaha 5 gb you make it sound like that's a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virus881 View Post
The truth is that 20th, 28th and 36th are available to put in a simfile, but only via text (Shiner's The Dance of Eternity has 20th notes); also the time signatures and the comment lines; so it would only be an editor rebuilding.
no they don't exist they are rounded to the nearest 192nd.
also it's really, really, really hard to merge both dreamstudio and sm because of the radically different editors. but I guess it's technically possible. good general idea though
x-constellation-x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:56 AM   #17
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Makes me wish I could program that well. Maybe in the future. =(
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote