Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-6-2010, 03:16 AM   #1
Rubin0
FFR Player

Default Post apocalyptic event, would you survive?

This is mostly a question about your genetics.

Let's say you were one of the lucky few that survived a giant meteor crashing into the earth. All human technology is destroyed, and all we have are our own two hands and the genetics our parent's bestowed upon up. Would you survive?

I would absolutely not survive. Without contact lenses/glasses, I am a completely useless human being. I literally can not find my way around a room if I don't have my contact lenses on and I seem to have lost my glasses. In a hunting/gathering situation I think other humans would probably have to abandon me. Not to mention, once disease hit, I would be one of the first to die off. The minute someone coughs on me, I get sick. Sad, but true facts.

Consider any medical conditions you might have that has to be regulated: Asthma, diabetes, etc.

The main point I am trying to make here, is that we are so comfortable masking our problems. We can fix almost anything that is wrong with us...things that seem to minor now, but in a situation where those things were not available, we would not survive.

Discuss.
Old 12-6-2010, 04:42 AM   #2
5.points
Provy
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to 5.points
Default Re: Post apocalyptic event, would you survive?

Considering both sided of my family are extremely healthy I'm pretty sure I could make it a while. Most people in our family usually live into their 90's.

I'm prepared any day to survive a life without modern human technology. My blood sugar is 80 (average is 70-100). 20/20 vision. Not taking any meds that aren't for ADD or sleep. Good immune system. Everything else is decent - good.
The only problem I would run into is being underweight.

Last edited by 5.points; 12-8-2010 at 12:35 AM..
5.points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

No idea. I don't have any medical problems and my parents both had great vision until their late 40's and they still aren't that bad. I'm not very muscular but I'm sure that would change a bit if I had to kill my food every day.

Another thing that is interesting is how nobody today knows how to do simple things like cook a meal without an oven or wash their clothes without a washing machine.

I think most of humanity would be screwed because of their dependence on technology despite how healthy and fit to survive they are.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2010, 09:19 AM   #4
who_cares973
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to who_cares973 Send a message via MSN to who_cares973 Send a message via Yahoo to who_cares973 Send a message via Skype™ to who_cares973

I wrote a decent sized response to this thread but accidentally hit view previous thread so my response was deleted. In short though yes I am very confident id survive
Old 12-6-2010, 09:41 AM   #5
Reincarnate
x'); DROP TABLE FFR;--
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Considering how dependent I've been on the computer my whole life, I'm honestly not sure.
Reincarnate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-7-2010, 09:55 PM   #6
Cavernio
sunshine and rainbows
FFR Veteran

I dunno. Mentally is where I might fail. I'd either have a new-found zest for life as a real struggle for survival takes over my apathy, or I'd completely shut-down and let myself die. I swear I've got some vitamin absorption problems or something. If I eat poorly now, which would still be way more nutrition than what I'd be getting after the world's toast, my body and mind totally feel that impact.
Cavernio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2010, 12:29 AM   #7
Mulie
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I have no health problems. If the conditions were right, I'd survive.

As for my mentality: I almost wish this would happen. Conditions would change in a post apocalyptic environment. Life would change. Activity. Empty, fleeting moments would become meaningful.

As a matter of fact, I'd welcome a death-by-meteor.
Mulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-8-2010, 12:39 AM   #8
All_That_Chaz
Supreme Dictator For Life
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to All_That_Chaz

Sometimes I think about if computers were never invented I might be like... an Olympic sprinter, or an accomplished musician, or president or something.

But most likely I'd still be fat and lazy with poor vision. I'd be dead within a week. Devoured by my peers for valuable sustenance.
dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by FoJaR View Post
god dammit chaz
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalReynolds
I bet when you live in a glass house, the temptation to throw stones is magnified strictly because you're not supposed to.
All_That_Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:22 PM   #9
G.S.M
He is watching
FFR Veteran

Would I survive? Hell yes I would survive! I have a impenetrable immune system, very healthy, strong, very strong willed.

I would do anything to survive if such a thing happened. I'd be dammed if a fkin meteor took out the human race.
Old 12-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

While I'm not the strongest dude ever, I very rarely get sick and I'm generally in good shape. I have 20/20 (tbh 20/5) vision in each eye, and I have perfect hearing.

I think I would survive, but one never knows.

EDIT: Is this meteor a damn EMP or something?
AsphyxZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Without A Contraceptive
FFR Player

as long as there was somewhere to find beer and cigarettes id be ok for awhile
Without A Contraceptive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:59 PM   #12
Kilroy_x
Little Chief Hare
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Kilroy_x

I would kill myself. No human technology means no HRT. I could try to synthesize estrogen from organic sources, but have no idea how. I would have no way to inhibit testosterone. Unless I happened to immediately and random encounter someone who could love me for who I was in spite of everything, which might be a reason to live, but the chances of that are negligable.

Other than that I would have the means to survive just fine in most contexts.
Kilroy_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 09:23 PM   #13
Jokee
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Jokee

I don't know but I'm preparing for it. If some major catastrophe happens in 2-3 years, I'll be ready. No medical conditions and hitting the gym 3 times a week. I want to be strong enough to lift someone if he's about to fall off a cliff or something. You never know.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:46 PM   #14
ffraxis
FFR Player

None of you will be ready and it doesn't really matter since you will die off anyways.

Because the situation will constantly be changing, nobody can ever be 100% prepared.

Post apocalypses are long-term and tend to involve more than one major disaster.

Consider this: your on a plane, suddenly out of nowhere a meteor hits the plane. you die.

the plane crashes and kills more people where it landed, they die. The meteor flies off and leaves a big ol crater, the people dead. Suddenly the meteor impact causes a shift in the tectonic plates and causes possibly a tsunami or earthquake, then more people die and get injured. Lets say this earthquake hit a major city and there was a lab going on where people were experimenting with finding a cure to cyanide poisoning and whole lot of other diseases. Or maybe it was an oil tanker, who knows, and it explodes and oil catches fire and people burn. And maybe during this entire it was pre-war because of some government tensions and then bam everyone loses.
ffraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #15
_Ashuku
FFR Player

I would hope that I could survive, but probably die, but saying you would live would be pure luck

I just hope i don't fall into the group with the stereotypical religious bitch that goes on sacrificing people

and goes on sayin shit like it's gods will, damn I hate those people in movies
Old 01-17-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
flashpantss
Party Hard
FFR Veteran

I'm not sure. It's a hard question to answer unless your actually in the situation. But, I think I would survive. 20/20 vision. No health problems, not allergic to anything. The only hard part would be actually using my two hands to get food and other things need for life.
3RD in Dragons Fury: Custom Tournament #5 in D5A
Best AAA's= Frictional Nevada (FIRST FGO) Kyrie (ONI Get), Eradication, Of Course you Need and nEed and neEd and NEED ME, Cinnamon Roll (FIRST TO AAA)
flashpantss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 11:44 PM   #17
xealix
One Among The Fence
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to xealix

I honestly am not so sure many people would live even if they had peek physical conditions, but I don't think it matters if you need glasses or not. Chances are if people are surviving some of them know how to make lenses for glasses. Also People would probably be prepared for a meteor impact. Unless it was invisible to us until impact. Not trying to down on the whole thing just stating some probable things. I probably wouldn't survive though. I'd go to where it was impacting, bring a guitar, and try to Fooly Cooly that shit.

I will use musical lyrics for my siggy.
"In the cradle we are helpless, but on our feet we are fatal" - The Dear Hunter
xealix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:03 PM   #18
ScylaX
urararararararara
FFR Music Producer

Send a message via MSN to ScylaX Send a message via Skype™ to ScylaX

That depends from how is the environment that surrounds you, did the apocalypse only destroyed humans and everything that have been human related, leaving the area clean and safe ? Or did it also destroyed everything that allowed you to live ?
Looking at the different posts I'll consider the first conclusion.

Your genetics will eventually help you to develop survival reflexes and allow you to live a longer time. I guess you will not be alone, like, 10 people for the whole town so, as the time goes, you could basically reconstruct your life from your personnal knowledge. Of course, knowing about the reflexes to have when you're in a survival situation is an enormous plus, because it will shorten the time you'll take to get the reflexes and, thus, reduce the chance for you to die from accident or distraction.

In an utopic way to see things, it's what that would happen.
However, I think most of us wouldn't even survive in an environment that is as cruel as that. If you're physically weak or handicaped for any reason, you will have no chance to survive. Because you have never been used to these circumstances and your physical health will prevent you to do so. From the first day, you will probably not eat if all you have are your hands and a natural environment around you :

How will you learn about hunting a prey ? Knowing which plants are poisonous and which aren't ? Considering the right factors to deduce something correct ? Etc ?
All of this depend from experience and personnal knowledge you randomly acquired by reading books or whatever on the matter. It will take a long time before you will get used to that way of life and most of us would probably die if we survived to the apocalypse.

Also, think about the diseases that will pop out more freely because of the absence of any medication, your metabolism became accustomed to that kind of things, y'know, that clean environment you live in everyday, these pills you take when you're ill, these sterile bandages you put on a flesh-wound. You will be way more sensitive to harmful bacterias, viruses, and even simple infections or wounds since you will only have medical plants or survival-reflexe to - temporarily - treat you.

PS : Considering every humain installations survived would led us to an "artificial death", since many, many entities would be still "running" with no maintenance or whatever (like : NPPs, sewer network...etc I'm kinda tired so I can't think about more examples). It's why I talk like everything have been destroyed with only nature living through.

tl;dr If the world ends, except if you have a good fitness and trained for that kind of situation, you're ****ing done.

Last edited by ScylaX; 01-18-2011 at 05:11 PM..
ScylaX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:13 PM   #19
ichliebekase
FFR Simfile Author
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Looking at my family history, I'd probably live for a good while after the meteor crash. There aren't many health problems in my family except for 2 cases of cancer and one was due to smoking for many years. The oldest person alive right now is 92 and still holding strong with bladder cancer even though she hasn't had any surgeries because it's too risky because of her age.

If the meteor crashed right now though and I survived, I'm not sure I'd live through the birth of my baby because of no medicine. That would probably be one thing that would be the end of me. But if I survive that, I'd probably eat a lot of seafood because I can fish. If the baby survived, I'm not sure how long he/she would live though in those kinds of conditions. Probably wouldn't live much longer after birth.
Garden Party - Dance, level 38
ichliebekase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 05:20 PM   #20
Quigly
nah
FFR Veteran

Well I have a partial pneumothorax so the resulting dust of the impact would probably be too much for my lungs to handle.