Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Critical Thinking
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-26-2007, 08:43 PM   #1
Billydude
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Billydude
Default Sex ed. in schools

Okay, so in health my class is being taught sex ed. Of course nobody likes it, but you're required to take it. My question is if it is really necessary for it to be taught in school. I hardly ever learn anything from the sex ed. classes I have taken so far. Pretty much the only thing I've learned is scientific names for body parts and such.

Last year, at the end of our sex ed. classes everyone would get an index card and we could write our questions down and turn them into a box. Next day, the teacher would read off the (apropriate) questions and answer them, but even she didn't know who wrote it. Now, we aren't given note cards and we have to ask the teacher directly... with the rest of the class by you. One of my friends asked a really detailed question about sex (not saying) and I could tell he was a bit embaressed when he heard people snickering.

In my opinion, schools should have a sex. ed class only 2 times. One in 5th grade to let them know what's coming. The other in 10th grade, to teach them the really detailed stuff. Honestly, I would be much more comfortable asking my questions to my father then a teacher I don't really know.

So what's your opinion on sex. ed classes in schools? Discuss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissi View Post
If you eat a pizza it does not give you the urge to fly a kite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner692 View Post
What if Billy talked to her? hes irrisistable
My story
Billydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:49 PM   #2
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Default Re: Sex ed. in schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billydude View Post
sex. ed class only 2 times. One in 5th grade to let them know what's coming. The other in 10th grade
should be 9th or 8th grade.

too many kids have had sex by then
Old 03-26-2007, 08:54 PM   #3
Billydude
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlp View Post

Actually, I think telling them in 6th or 7th about the consequences of sex would be good. Maybe like a sub-sex ed. class.

Quote:
Quote:
My story
Old 04-3-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
beaner692
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to beaner692

Quote:
Originally Posted by adlp View Post

yeah, noone really has sex before this anyhow.

I guess they are just teaching it early to get it in your heads early.

This sounds like that one Southpark Episode where they were teaching sex ed to kindergardeners lol

wewt10k aim: IMB3AU

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=vertex+beta
I play Vertex BETA :O
beaner692 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:55 PM   #5
RandomPscho
FFR Player

A lot of people don't learn about sex from their parents, reason for there being sex ed.

In my school we learned about STD's in 7th grade and health class in high school goes into details, but my health teacher was amazing. You can pick when to take health, but it is required to graduate. You can take it in 9th-12th grade. health details aren't anatomy, but they show real pictures of the diseases, which can seriously scare you. it is more of the emotional stuff.
RandomPscho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #6
6 p01nt3d*st@r
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to 6 p01nt3d*st@r

wats with the sex talk on ffr latley=/?

6 p01nt3d*st@r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #7
Windscarredfaith
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ watermelon
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Windscarredfaith Send a message via MSN to Windscarredfaith

Sex Education is needed. It doesn't promote anything. By that age, kids should know what sex is.

My health class in 6th grade had that "write down a question thing." And we had a male teacher. One of my classmates wrote "What is masturbation? Please deomonstrate" for laughs. It was hilarious. xD
Old 03-26-2007, 08:58 PM   #8
talisman
Resident Penguin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to talisman

I feel that there ought to be a course that teaches you how to have sex properly. Think of the benefits to society if everyone were educated about even basic sexual techniques and concepts about how to satisfy your partner emotionally/physically.

About sex ed in general... it's fine to have I suppose. Most useful thing you can possibly get out of it is how to put on a condom I imagine.
talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:01 PM   #9
GuidoHunter
is against custom titles
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to GuidoHunter Send a message via Skype™ to GuidoHunter

In the ninth grade version of sex ed (as opposed to the seventh grade version), I remember learning about how the female fertility cycle worked. That was pretty informative.

--Guido

http://andy.mikee385.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandiagod View Post
She has an asshole, in other pics you can see a diaper taped to her dead twin's back.
Sentences I thought I never would have to type.
GuidoHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:02 PM   #10
Billydude
FFR Player

I see how it's necessary, but every year? I think that's a bit much, and I do think you should be able to write down questions on cards instead of having to ask it up front. I've only asked 2 things in sex ed.:
1. Does nose hair develop during puberty?
2. Does milk make you taller if you drink it during puberty?

These aren't very embarressing questions, but I had other thoughts in my head I didn't dare to ask when I was a first year. And also, do you think the class should be co ed?

Edit: wanna listen to your responses but I gotta go to bed =/. I'll read tommorrow.

Quote:
Quote:
My story
Old 03-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #11
adlp
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

hahaha i asked what vaginal flatulence is really called.
Old 03-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #12
jellygod
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to jellygod Send a message via Skype™ to jellygod

my first sex education class was in 5th grade we pretty much just learned about puberty and all of that stuff, then another one in 7th grade,8th grade, and then another one in 9th grade, currently in 10th grade and don't care to take another one, although they are very informative with showing all of the STD'S, and all of the other stuff you can get. Plus the question box was always a fun way to get a laugh when people always wrote jokingly questions and stuff like that. I don't know what all of that is having to ask your question in class in front of the students, you should be able to just ask your teacher after class, that is a little wierd.
jellygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:22 PM   #13
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek

Our Sex Education classes were pretty much only about STDs and "safe sex".

It was pretty uninteresting and uninformative. What I did learn, though, is that high school kids are immature idiots. Oh, that was also the time I learned how to hide a GBA while playing it during class. Thank you Golden Sun, for taking me through the most boring times of my high school life.

I agree that sex education should be more detailed, but parents are stupid as well. They want to shelter their kids from sex for some reason. I don't get it. If the human race is sheltered from sex, then we kinda can't reproduce anymore. Way to go.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 09:26 PM   #14
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
I agree that sex education should be more detailed, but parents are stupid as well. They want to shelter their kids from sex for some reason. I don't get it. If the human race is sheltered from sex, then we kinda can't reproduce anymore. Way to go.
Strangely, sheltering kids from sex has the opposite effect.

Most kids have sex at a young age out of immaturity. They think it's no big deal, and they don't realise the impact of what they're doing. Most of them also like to "defy" their parent's opinions and values by having sex. It's the attraction to the forbidden, the hidden.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #15
Chrissi
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to Chrissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verruckter View Post
Strangely, sheltering kids from sex has the opposite effect.

Most kids have sex at a young age out of immaturity. They think it's no big deal, and they don't realise the impact of what they're doing. Most of them also like to "defy" their parent's opinions and values by having sex. It's the attraction to the forbidden, the hidden.
I think kids just want sex and are going to get it any way they can and nothing you can say is going to stop them. They're going to do it. Cause they want to. It's a natural urge, and a very powerful one at that. The best you can do is teach them how to be safe and work to counteract the rumours about sex that start getting passed around at pre-puberty, such as "A girl can't get pregnant before her first period, or on her first time" or "Oral sex isn't sex - no diseases, right?" and explain why they are getting hair (personally, I thought I had been abducted by aliens and they had experimented on me, because nobody ever told me I'd start getting that kind of hair) and why girls get their periods (many girls aren't told of it by their parents, so they think they have cancer and start freaking out and hiding it instead of telling their parents - personally, that happened to me, and it also happened to a friend).

Kids don't know much about sex. They think they know a lot but they're wrong about most of it. My friends thought once you got your period you constantly bled.... and they worried about silly things like whether you're supposed to shave your pubic hair....

When we had sex ed in grade 8, some girl asked what an orgasm felt like and everyone laughed. Also, my friend submitted a question about "what do you do with the hair down there" and they never answered it.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:56 PM   #16
Verruckter
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Verruckter Send a message via MSN to Verruckter

Quote:
I think kids just want sex and are going to get it any way they can and nothing you can say is going to stop them. They're going to do it. Cause they want to. It's a natural urge, and a very powerful one at that.
You put it so simply, it makes me wonder why I dislike sluts so much.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:57 PM   #17
Chrissi
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verruckter View Post
You put it so simply, it makes me wonder why I dislike sluts so much.
Do you also dislike men who are promiscuous?
Old 03-26-2007, 10:47 PM   #18
lXD
L not I
FFR Veteran

all of the teachers that ive had teach our class sex ed over the years always try and force the "when you have sex, your having sex with every person your partner has had sex with in the last 10 years" speach which i guess is trying to scare kids but idk, the whole things stupid to me, if your stupid enough to have unprotected sex with a person that has chlamydia then you deserve to get it as well.
lXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:51 PM   #19
Chrissi
FFR Player

IXD, two problems.
1) Condoms are not foolproof and do not stop all diseases. And using 2 doesn't help any, it actually makes it more likely to break.
2) You can't always tell if you have an STD. You need to get tested regularly if you are sexually active. I refuse to go near the genitals of anyone who has a sexual history and has not been tested, no matter if they are showing symptoms or not. HIV is a major one that you do NOT want to catch (no no no, you really don't) and people often can't tell if they have HIV.

Oh and one more.... it's not "every person your partner has had sex with in the past 10 years", it's everyone they've had sex with in their entire LIVES.
Old 03-26-2007, 11:18 PM   #20
lXD
L not I
FFR Veteran

Quote:
IXD, two problems.
1) Condoms are not foolproof and do not stop all diseases. And using 2 doesn't help any, it actually makes it more likely to break.
2) You can't always tell if you have an STD. You need to get tested regularly if you are sexually active. I refuse to go near the genitals of anyone who has a sexual history and has not been tested, no matter if they are showing symptoms or not. HIV is a major one that you do NOT want to catch (no no no, you really don't) and people often can't tell if they have HIV.

Oh and one more.... it's not "every person your partner has had sex with in the past 10 years", it's everyone they've had sex with in their entire LIVES.

i think your more qualified to teach this class then most of my teachers.
lXD is offline   Reply With Quote