Old 06-7-2012, 06:25 AM   #141
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Bluearrowll Send a message via MSN to Bluearrowll
Default Re: Terry's Astronomy Thread.

What's in the sky tonight?
June 7, 2012
-Have you ever explored the swarm of galaxies awaiting your telescope by the head of Serpens? See if you can find out how many Messier objects and objects on the NGC you can find here!

-Mars (magnitude +0.5) shines orange near the hind foot of Leo, high in the southwest at dusk and lower in the west as evening grows late. It's now roughly a third of the way from Regulus (off to its lower right) to the Saturn-and-Spica pair (left). Mars is heading east against the stars to pass right between Saturn and Spica in mid-August.

Astro Picture of the Day:
June 7, 2012
Source:
Occurring in pairs separated by over a hundred years, there have now been only eight transits of Venus since the invention of the telescope in 1608. The next will be in December of 2117. But many modern telescopes and cameras were trained on this week's Venus transit, capturing the planet in rare silhouette against the Sun. In this sharp telescopic view from Georgia, USA, a narrowband H-alpha filter was used to show the round planetary disk against a mottled solar surface with dark filaments, sunspots, and prominences. The transit itself lasted for 6 hours and 40 minutes. Historically, astronomers used timings of the transit from different locations to triangulate the distance to Venus, while modern astronomers actively search for planets that transit distant suns.
5th in Phynx's Unofficial FFR Tournament
9th in D3 of the 2008-2009 4th Official FFR Tournament
10th in D5 of the 2010 5th Official FFR Tournament
10th in D6 of the 2011-2012 6th Official FFR Tournament

FMO AAA Count: 71
FGO AAA Count: 10

Bluearrowll = The Canadian player who can not detect awkward patterns. If it's awkward for most people, it's normal for Terry. If the file is difficult but super straight forward, he has issues. If he's AAAing a FGO but then heard that his favorite Hockey team was losing by a point, Hockey > FFR
PS: Cool AAA's Terry
- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Bluearrowll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2012, 06:10 AM   #142
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 8, 2012
-With June well under way, the Big Dipper has swung around to hang down by its handle high in the northwest during evening. The middle star of its handle is Mizar, with little Alcor right next to it. On which side of Mizar should you look for Alcor? As always, on the side toward bright Vega, which is now shining in the east-northeast.

June 8, 2012
Source:
This dramatic telephoto view across the Black Sea on June 6 finds Venus rising with the Sun, the planet in silhouette against a ruddy and ragged solar disk. Of course, the reddened light is due to scattering in planet Earth's atmosphere and the rare transit of Venus didn't influence the strangely shaped and distorted Sun. In fact, seeing the Sun in the shape of an Etruscan Vase is relatively common, especially compared to Venus transits. At sunset and sunrise, the effects of atmospheric refraction enhanced by long, low, sight lines and strong atmospheric temperature gradients produce the visual distortions and mirages. That situation is often favored by a sea horizon.

Bluearrowll = The Canadian player who can not detect awkward patterns. If it's awkward for most people, it's normal for Terry. If the file is difficult but super straight forward, he has issues. If he's AAAing a FGO but then heard that his favorite Hockey team was losing by a point, Hockey > FFR
- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-9-2012, 12:38 AM   #143
Jerry DB
FFR, lift, repeat
FFR Veteran

hmmm that is very interesting about our galaxies colliding. I am not a good at astrology at all but I always thought since our universe is expanding faster and faster, that our galaxies were too far away at this point to be sucked in by each others gravity. How does all of that work exactly?
Old 06-9-2012, 02:24 AM   #144
darklordsarumon9
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to darklordsarumon9 Send a message via Skype™ to darklordsarumon9

^
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metric_...on_of_Universe

tl;dr but there's some reading for you (:
Quote:
Originally Posted by cetaka View Post
whats namine like in person
darklordsarumon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-9-2012, 10:54 AM   #145
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 9, 2012
-Binocular observers are often told to recognize a globular cluster as "a fuzzy star." How fuzzy? You can make the comparison very directly between the globular cluster M5 and the star 5 Serpentis just southeast of it. The star is magnitude 5.1; the cluster is 5.7 in total.

June 9, 2012
As its June 6 2012 transit begins Earth's sister planet crosses the edge of the Sun in this stunning view from the Hinode spacecraft. The timing of limb crossings during the rare transits was used historically to triangulate the distance to Venus and determine a value for the Earth-Sun distance called the astronomical unit. Still, modern space-based views like this one show the event against an evocative backdrop of the turbulent solar surface with prominences lofted above the Sun's edge by twisting magnetic fields. Remarkably, the thin ring of light seen surrounding the planet's dark silhouette is sunlight refracted by Venus' thick atmosphere.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-10-2012, 11:18 AM   #146
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 10, 2012
-After nightfall, Vega is the brightest star shining on the eastern side of the sky. Deneb is the brightest to its lower left. Look for Altair farther to Vega's lower right, still rather low. These three form the big Summer Triangle.

-This season there's another, temporary "summer triangle" in the southwest: bright Arcturus high on top, the Saturn-Spica pair below it, and Mars off to the pair's right or lower right.

-Last quarter Moon tonight (exact at 6:41 a.m. Monday morning EDT). The Moon, half-lit, rises in Aquarius in the middle of the night. By that time the Summer Triangle is very high in the east, high above it.

June 10, 2012
Source:
What if you were given a new Hubble telescope for free? How about two? The astronomical community is abuzz with just this opportunity as the US National Reconnaissance Office has unexpectedly transferred ownership of two space-qualified Hubble-quality telescopes to NASA. The usefulness of these telescopes in addressing existing science priorities has begun, but preliminary indications hold that even one of these telescope could be extremely useful in searching for extrasolar planets as well as distant galaxies and supernovas that could better explore the nature of dark energy. Although they start out as free, making even one telescope operational and fitting it with useful cameras would be quite expensive, so NASA is being decidedly careful about how to fit these new telescopes into its existing budget. Pictured above, the original Hubble Space Telescope floats high above the Earth during a servicing mission in 2002.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-11-2012, 06:22 AM   #147
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 11, 2012
-The two brightest stars of late spring and summer are Arcturus, now almost overhead toward the south or southwest after dark, and Vega, shining partway up the eastern sky. Arcturus is an orange giant 37 light-years away. Vega is a hot, white main-sequence star 25 light-years distant.

-Venus, having crossed the Sun from east to west during its transit on June 5th, is now very deep in the brightest glow of dawn. Don't confuse Venus with Jupiter, which is less low in the dawn and somewhat to the right. The two planets are 14° apart on the morning of June 9th and 9° apart by June 16th. Use binoculars as daylight brightens; look just above the east-northeast horizon. Jupiter and Venus are on their way up for a grand showing high in the morning sky this summer.

June 11, 2012
Source:
Few butterflies have a wingspan this big. The bright clusters and nebulae of planet Earth's night sky are often named for flowers or insects, and NGC 6302 is no exception. With an estimated surface temperature of about 250,000 degrees C, the central star of this particular planetary nebula is exceptionally hot though -- shining brightly in ultraviolet light but hidden from direct view by a dense torus of dust. This dramatically detailed close-up of the dying star's nebula was recorded by the Hubble Space Telescope soon after it was upgraded in 2009. Cutting across a bright cavity of ionized gas, the dust torus surrounding the central star is near the center of this view, almost edge-on to the line-of-sight. Molecular hydrogen has been detected in the hot star's dusty cosmic shroud. NGC 6302 lies about 4,000 light-years away in the arachnologically correct constellation of the Scorpion (Scorpius).

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-12-2012, 06:13 AM   #148
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 12, 2012
-Look a third of the way from Arcturus to Vega for the dim semicircle of Corona Borealis, the Northern Crown. It has one modestly bright star, Alphecca. Two thirds of the way from Arcturus to Vega is the dim Keystone of Hercules.

-Mars (magnitude +0.6) shines orange near the hind foot of Leo, in the southwest at dusk and lower in the west as evening grows late. Mars is still less than halfway from Regulus (off to its lower right) to the Saturn-and-Spica pair (left). Mars will shoot the gap between Saturn and Spica in mid-August.

June 12, 2012
Source:
These are larger dust bunnies than you will find under your bed. Situated in rich star fields and glowing hydrogen gas, these opaque clouds of interstellar dust and gas are so large they might be able to form stars. Their home is known as IC 2944, a bright stellar nursery located about 5,900 light years away toward the constellation of Centaurus. The largest of these dark globules, first spotted by South African astronomer A. D. Thackeray in 1950, is likely two separate but overlapping clouds, each more than one light-year wide. Along with other data, the above representative color image from the 4-m Blanco telescope at Cerro Tololo, Chile indicates that Thackeray's globules are fractured and churning as a result of intense ultraviolet radiation from young, hot stars already energizing and heating the bright emission nebula. These and similar dark globules known to be associated with other star forming regions may ultimately be dissipated by their hostile environment - like cosmic lumps of butter in a hot frying pan.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-13-2012, 06:07 AM   #149
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 13, 2012
-Mercury is becoming more easily visible after sunset. Look for it low in the west-northwest in the fading twilight. It forms a long, vertical triangle with Pollux and Castor above it.

-Mercury (about magnitude –0.8) is very low in the west-northwest about 30 or 40 minutes after sundown. Don't confuse it with Capella well to its upper right, in the northwest.

June 13, 2012
Source:
Waiting years and traveling kilometers -- all to get a shot like this. And even with all of this planning, a good bit of luck was helpful. As the Sun rose over the Baltic Sea last Wednesday as seen from Fehmarn Island in northern Germany, photographer Jens Hackmann was ready for the very unusual black dot of Venus to appear superimposed. Less expected were the textures of clouds and haze that would tint different levels of the Sun various shades of red. And possibly the luckiest gift of all was a flicker of a rare green flash at the very top of the Sun. The above image is, of course, just one of many spectacular pictures taken last week of the last transit of the planet Venus across the face of the Sun for the next 105 years.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-13-2012, 06:09 AM   #150
MarioNintendo
Expect delays.
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Very cool thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgravel View Post
Mario's files are top notch, so every time he submits a file I get excited in my pants.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hi19hi19 View Post
This guy, MarioNintendo?
Click the bricks

MarioNintendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:54 AM   #151
supermousie
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to supermousie

Oh my god Terry that picture is amazing.
supermousie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 11:46 AM   #152
darklordsarumon9
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to darklordsarumon9 Send a message via Skype™ to darklordsarumon9

<33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cetaka View Post
whats namine like in person
darklordsarumon9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #153
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 14, 2012
-Globular star clusters are not all alike. But some do look more similar than others. With the Moon out of the sky, now is a fine time to compare and contrast many of them in your scope.

-Saturn (magnitude +0.6, in Virgo) shines high in the south as twilight fades. Below it by 5° is Spica. Later after dark they move to the southwest.

June 14, 2012
Source:
In 1716, English astronomer Edmond Halley noted, "This is but a little Patch, but it shews itself to the naked Eye, when the Sky is serene and the Moon absent." Of course, M13 is now modestly recognized as the Great Globular Cluster in Hercules, one of the brightest globular star clusters in the northern sky. Telescopic views reveal the spectacular cluster's hundreds of thousands of stars. At a distance of 25,000 light-years, the cluster stars crowd into a region 150 light-years in diameter, but approaching the cluster core upwards of 100 stars could be contained in a cube just 3 light-years on a side. For comparison, the closest star to the Sun is over 4 light-years away. Along with the cluster's dense core, the outer reaches of M13 are highlighted in this sharp color image. The cluster's evolved red and blue giant stars show up in yellowish and blue tints.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-15-2012, 06:18 AM   #154
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 15, 2012
-With summer beginning in just five days, Scorpius is already rearing up in the southeast at nightfall. Its brightest star is orange Antares. The "outrigger" stars of Antares are just below and upper right of it. Farther upper right is the row of stars marking Scorpius's head. This is a grand area to explore with a sky atlas and binoculars.

-As dawn brightens Saturday morning, the Moon, Jupiter, and Venus form a diagonal line above where the Sun will rise, as shown here.

-If you happen to be in a dark area or are pulling an allnighter outside today, you can expect to see a few meteorites blaze through the sky; the Lyrid meteor shower peaks today.

June 15, 2012
Source:
Nearby and bright, spiral galaxies M65 (top) and M66 stand out in this engaging cosmic snapshot. The pair are just 35 million light-years distant and around 100,000 light-years across, about the size of our own spiral Milky Way. While both exhibit prominent dust lanes sweeping along their broad spiral arms, M66 in particular is a striking contrast in red and blue hues; the telltale pinkish glow of hydrogen gas in star forming regions and young blue star clusters. M65 and M66 make up two thirds of the well-known Leo Triplet of galaxies with warps and tidal tails that offer evidence of the group's past close encounters. The larger M66 has been host to four supernovae discovered since 1973.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol

Last edited by Bluearrowll; 06-15-2012 at 06:20 AM..
Old 06-16-2012, 11:06 AM   #155
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 16, 2012
-If you're awake in early dawn Sunday morning, look low in the east-northeast for the thin waning crescent Moon close to Jupiter, as shown here. As dawn brightens look for Venus 9° to Jupiter's lower left. Bring binoculars.

June 16, 2012
Source:
Why does this galaxy have such a long tail? In this stunning vista recorded with the Hubble Space Telescope's Advanced Camera for Surveys, distant galaxies form a dramatic backdrop for disrupted spiral galaxy Arp 188, the Tadpole Galaxy. The cosmic tadpole is a mere 420 million light-years distant toward the northern constellation Draco. Its eye-catching tail is about 280 thousand light-years long and features massive, bright blue star clusters. One story goes that a more compact intruder galaxy crossed in front of Arp 188 - from left to right in this view - and was slung around behind the Tadpole by their gravitational attraction. During the close encounter, tidal forces drew out the spiral galaxy's stars, gas, and dust forming the spectacular tail. The intruder galaxy itself, estimated to lie about 300 thousand light-years behind the Tadpole, can be seen through foreground spiral arms at the lower left. Following its terrestrial namesake, the Tadpole Galaxy will likely lose its tail as it grows older, the tail's star clusters forming smaller satellites of the large spiral galaxy.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-17-2012, 10:12 AM   #156
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 17, 2012
-Can you see the big Coma Berenices star cluster? Does your light pollution really hide it, or do you just not know exactly where to look? The cluster is 2/5 of the way from Denebola (Leo's tail) to the end of the Big Dipper's handle (Ursa Major's tail). The cluster is about 5° wide — a big, dim glow in at least a moderately dark sky. Its brightest members form an inverted Y that nearly fills a binocular view.

-Mercury (about magnitude –0.3 and fading) is very low in the west-northwest about 30 or 40 minutes after sundown. Don't confuse it with Capella far to its right, in the northwest. Pollux and Castor are above Mercury early in the week, and to the right of it by June 23rd.

June 17, 2012
Source:
Why does Jupiter have rings? Jupiter's rings were discovered in 1979 by the passing Voyager 1 spacecraft, but their origin was a mystery. Data from the Galileo spacecraft that orbited Jupiter from 1995 to 2003 later confirmed that these rings were created by meteoroid impacts on small nearby moons. As a small meteoroid strikes tiny Adrastea, for example, it will bore into the moon, vaporize, and explode dirt and dust off into a Jovian orbit. Pictured above is an eclipse of the Sun by Jupiter, as viewed from Galileo. Small dust particles high in Jupiter's atmosphere, as well as the dust particles that compose the rings, can be seen by reflected sunlight.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #157
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 18, 2012
-Vega is the brightest star on the eastern side of the evening sky. Deneb is the brightest to its lower left. Altair is farther to Vega's lower right. These form the big Summer Triangle.

-This season there's another, temporary "Summer Triangle" toward the southwest: bright Arcturus high on top, the Saturn-Spica pair below it, and Mars off to the pair's right or lower right.

-Venus (magnitude –4.3), after transiting the Sun on June 5th, is now deep in the glow of dawn. Look for it low in the east-northeast before sunrise. Don't confuse Venus with Jupiter to its upper right. The two planets are 9° apart on the morning of June 16th and 6° apart on June 23rd.

-Below or lower right of Venus twinkles much fainter Aldebaran; use binoculars as daybreak brightens. Jupiter and Venus, the two brightest planets, are on their way up for a grand showing in the morning sky this summer.

June 18, 2012
Source:
Why were the statues on Easter Island built? No one is sure. What is sure is that over 800 large stone statues exist there. The Easter Island statues, stand, on the average, over twice as tall as a person and have over 200 times as much mass. Few specifics are known about the history or meaning of the unusual statues, but many believe that they were created about 500 years ago in the images of local leaders of a lost civilization. Pictured above, some of the stone giants were illuminated in 2009 under the central band of our Milky Way Galaxy.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-19-2012, 06:23 AM   #158
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 19, 2012
-This is the time of year when the Little Dipper floats straight upward from Polaris after dark — like a released helium balloon.

-New Moon (exact at 11:02 a.m. EDT).

-Mars (magnitude +0.7, crossing from Leo into Virgo) shines orange in the southwest at dusk and lower in the west as evening grows late. This week Mars creeps to the halfway point from Regulus (off to its lower right) to the Saturn-and-Spica pair (left). Mars will shoot the gap between Saturn and Spica in mid-August. In a telescope Mars is gibbous and tiny, continuing to shrink every week.

June 19, 2012
Source:
During July 22nd's 2009 solar eclipse, the Moon's dark shadow traced a narrow path as it raced eastward across India and China and on into the Pacific. Hong Kong was south of the shadow's path, so a total eclipse was not visible there, but a partial eclipse was still enjoyed by inhabitants of the populous city. And while many were (safely!) watching the sky, images of the partially eclipsed Sun adorned the city itself. In this downlooking photo, taken at 9:40am local time, a remarkable array of solar eclipse views was created by reflection in a grid of eastward facing skyscraper windows. The photographer's location was the 27th floor of Two Pacific Place.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-20-2012, 06:24 AM   #159
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 20, 2012
-This is the longest day and shortest night of the year in the Northern Hemisphere. Summer begins at the solstice: 7:09 p.m. EDT. This is when the Sun reaches its northernmost point in the sky and begins its six-month return southward. In the Southern Hemisphere, winter begins.

-If you have a good view of the west-northwest horizon (from mid-northern latitudes), mark precisely where the Sun sets. In a few days you should be able to detect that it's again starting to set a little south of this point. Build your own Stonehenge?

-Mercury (about magnitude –0.3 and fading) is very low in the west-northwest about 30 or 40 minutes after sundown. Don't confuse it with Capella far to its right, in the northwest. Pollux and Castor are above Mercury early in the week, and to the right of it by June 23rd.

June 20, 2012
Source:
How was this unusual looking galaxy created? No one is sure, especially since spiral galaxy NGC 7049 looks so strange. NGC 7049's striking appearance is primarily due to an unusually prominent dust ring seen mostly in silhouette. The opaque ring is much darker than the din of millions of bright stars glowing behind it. Besides the dark dust, NGC 7049 appears similar to a smooth elliptical galaxy, although featuring surprisingly few globular star clusters. NGC 7049 is pictured above as imaged recently by the Hubble Space Telescope. The bright star near the top of NGC 7049 is an unrelated foreground star in our own Galaxy. Not visible here is an unusual central polar ring of gas circling out of the plane near the galaxy's center. Since NGC 7049 is the brightest galaxy in its cluster of galaxies, its formation might be fostered by several prominent and recent galaxy collisions. NGC 7049 spans about 150 thousand light years and lies about 100 million light years away toward the constellation of Indus.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol
Old 06-21-2012, 06:24 AM   #160
Bluearrowll
⊙▃⊙

June 21, 2012
-As the glow of sunset fades, look low in the west-northwest for a ragged line of the thin crescent Moon, Mercury, Pollux, and Castor, as shown below.

June 21, 2012
Source:
Made with narrow and broad band filters, this colorful cosmic snap shot covers a field of view about the size of the full Moon within the boundaries of the constellation Cygnus. It highlights the bright edge of a ring-like nebula traced by the glow of ionized hydrogen and oxygen gas. Embedded in the region's interstellar clouds of gas and dust, the complex, glowing arcs are sections of bubbles or shells of material swept up by the wind from Wolf-Rayet star WR 134, brightest star near the center of the frame. Distance estimates put WR 134 about 6,000 light-years away, making the frame over 50 light-years across. Shedding their outer envelopes in powerful stellar winds, massive Wolf-Rayet stars have burned through their nuclear fuel at a prodigious rate and end this final phase of massive star evolution in a spectacular supernova explosion. The stellar winds and final supernovae enrich the interstellar material with heavy elements to be incorporated in future generations of stars.

- I Love You

An Alarm Clock's Haiku
beep beep beep beep beep
beep beep beep beep beep
- ieatyourlvllol