justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Default Re: I broke ffr

Cross post from that thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator
How many posts do you have on a page? I'm already clear to see these... It's just that one page that I can't, and it's already a page back.
Old 08-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #22
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post
Cross post from that thread...
It's 20 to a page, but since I started posting there to try and move it to page 2, probably around 9 or so posts from page 1 have been moved to page 2. Assuming no one really bothered to try posting after the database error, I couldn't imagine that more than 11 or 12 out of 20 have been moved to the next page.

I posted 5 times so far, and someone else posted a few while I was in other threads.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #23
Sprite-
HAVE ME WITH VODKA
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I removed the post...don't do it again.
Sprite- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 04:28 PM   #24
Findarian
Offical Best Poster 2012
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmah View Post
In general, any post that is too long (I have yet to determine exactly how much) will overload the database and you'll get that error. Put in too many spoiler tags, and the result is no different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite- View Post
I removed the post...don't do it again.
I'll make sure not to.. honestly it was the weirdest thing because whenever I went over a certain amount of spoilers, my post was just not saved/uploaded, so I figured that it wouldn't save over a certain point that broke ffr, or that the breaking point would be the point where I couldn't post it because of overload.

PARTY TIME IN TGB

Findarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:09 PM   #25
UserNameGoesHere
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to UserNameGoesHere

In a way, I think we should thank Findarian for finding this little exploit. Someone with malicious intents could have used it and it may even be possible to run some kind of code injection attack via that exploit, and that could do just about anything.

What Findarian has done is brought the problem to the forefront -- that being said, Findarian, don't do the same thing again, since we now know it's a problem. (And I don't think you will).

It would be good if the limit could be found and guard/check code put in place to reject anything beyond that. Failing that you could make a reasonable but arbitrary limit which is still less than the problem size, and guard/check/reject based on that.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
UserNameGoesHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:18 AM   #26
Findarian
Offical Best Poster 2012
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by UserNameGoesHere View Post
In a way, I think we should thank Findarian for finding this little exploit. Someone with malicious intents could have used it and it may even be possible to run some kind of code injection attack via that exploit, and that could do just about anything.

What Findarian has done is brought the problem to the forefront -- that being said, Findarian, don't do the same thing again, since we now know it's a problem. (And I don't think you will).

It would be good if the limit could be found and guard/check code put in place to reject anything beyond that. Failing that you could make a reasonable but arbitrary limit which is still less than the problem size, and guard/check/reject based on that.

I think it was more a mistake that almost got punished rather than something I should be thanked for..

PARTY TIME IN TGB

Findarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 12:37 AM   #27
foxfire667
The FFRchiver
Retired StaffFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findarian View Post
I think it was more a mistake that almost got punished rather than something I should be thanked for..
Pretty much this. Although I do feel a little bad knowing that any user could essentially throw a database error and take down the 1st page of any thread they wished just by spamming spoiler tags (or the whole thread if it is less than 20 posts).

Obviously it is something that the admins can quickly fix, but still could be pretty annoying if someone abused this exploit in multiple threads because trololololol.