Old 08-3-2018, 09:25 PM   #701
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 466: Streams of Thought Vol 1 by Black Thought

I listened to thus like 10 times now and have nothing to say. It's goood so good rating

I'll do requests next tmr or some other day fugck this

Rating 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-6-2018, 12:34 PM   #702
rayword45

Day 467: Automata II by Between The Buried And Me (Album Choice: yo man im awesome & Deadlyx39)

Well, I said I'd review at least one request... wait I didn't specify any number lol. But yeah, let's do this. Glad for the double request. Despite not having listened to a single album of theirs, I've seen this band live before, back during senior year of high school, but they didn't play White Walls which made me sad, and disappointed the rest of the crowd too. Enslaved put on the better show, not to diss this band's live performance. They were second best.

Also, I'm not doing a side-by-side review with Automata I because I don't feel like it. I'll review that album at some point. Maybe.

This shit is generally a LOT less heavy and a LOT more avant-garde than what I heard at the show. Glide reminds me a whole fuckin lot of Mr. Bungle except proggier and that's a good thing (although Mike Patton seems like a douchenozzle) besides the proggier part. And Voice Of Transpass sounds like that circus metal band as well! You can tell I'm trying to not have to bold for my self-diagnosed not OCD. I need to go to an ADD doctor. And a free STD testing place.

The genre shifts are, naturally, a mixed bag. The growling parts and more somber ending of The Proverbial Bellow were fucking fantastic, but what the fuck was that country twang bullshit? The aforementioned Voice is much better at the genre blender, seamlessly combining faux-church music, surf rock, and prog whatever. Hey, did y'all ever know that a kid from my high school and college was a contestant on the show The Voice? And he has the same first name as me? Well, now you know even if you didn't care.

I don't know if I'd enjoy seeing this incarnation of the band li- ah who am I kidding this would be interesting as fuck. Good album.

Best Track: The Grid (I deliberately didn't talk at all about this track for the writing dissonance hahaha fuck you)
Rating: 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
Old 08-6-2018, 12:40 PM   #703
rayword45

Also I have drukqs at a 5/10 rn and The Sciences at a 9/10

Old 08-7-2018, 05:25 PM   #704
Zibang
FFR Player

God damnit, I always forget to listen to the new BTBAM albums. I still haven't heard either of the Automatas lolz, and they're supposed to be one of my favorite prog metal bands
Zibang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-8-2018, 03:46 PM   #705
rayword45

Day 468: Astroworld by Travis Scott (Album Choice: Like a million IRL people)

I don't understand
Why so many damn people
Are hyping this shit

Well, so many damn people I interact with in real life. The internet music geeks I know find this album to be boring and borderline narcolepsy inducing. A very large portion of my friends are calling this the best album of 2018 already.

The hype shouts in Carousel are cringe-inducingly bad. IT'S LIT! ...Oh god that single adlib continues throughout the whole album what the fuck? Luckily I like the song otherwise.

There are some fantastic tracks in here, some serious bangers, some surprisingly enjoyabke slower songs, and then the failed experiments (what the fuck is Yosemite? And the Cudi humming was a waste of money dude) and a whole lot of filler bullshit, particularly towards the back half (special shoutout to Who? What? for somehow seeming extra inspired. This should've been half as long.

To end on a positive note, that is the most I've ever enjoyed The Weeknd

Best Track: Stargazing (why the caps, dude?)
Rating: 5/10

Old 08-22-2018, 12:26 PM   #706
rayword45

Day 469: TA13OO by Denzel Curry

This dude flaked on the Playboi Carti concert.

Or rather, Carti flaked on his original date and by the time the rescheduled date came this dude was already on his own tour.

His presence was sorely missed, and this album confirms that further. The only song I have a legitimate complaint about is the tedious, annoyingly XXX-reminiscent Clout Cobain, the rest of this album is a blast and makes me wanna dance, while the features and the various, thankfully brief genre switches keep everything interesting while inspiring life in me.

Don't feel like writing more. Will I get another album finished today? Click here to find out

Best Track: Sirens or Vengeance (fuck these goddamn caps and leetspeak titles)
Rating: 8/10

Old 08-24-2018, 01:58 AM   #707
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

I have a lot of this thread to catch up on

EDIT: without checking thread I want to say that the new Gorillaz album, The Now Now, is pimp and worth your time if you haven't already.

Also 13th Elevator Floor for the old school psychedelic rock

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 08-24-2018 at 02:02 AM..
MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 12:17 PM   #708
rayword45

Day 470: Tangerine Reef by Animal Collective

I listened to this once.

Then I listened to it 3 times more to see if I missed the interesting parts.

That alone gives it more replay value than Painting With.

Ah I miss the nerdy high school dawait what the fuck am I saying no I fucking don't

Best Track: This isn't one long song?

Old 09-16-2018, 06:21 PM   #709
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

have you listened to the new Ovlov album yet
PixlSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #710
rayword45

Day 471: Collapse EP by Aphex Twin

Now THIS I can get behind, and I'm gonna replay this a lot more than Syro and most of the subsequent shit (still haven't listened to that Soundcloud shit in full, likely never will, Ima listen to that new long-ass Autechre before). Favorite release since the one with Girl/Boy Song. Admittedly, the first song shits on the other four (I'm ignoring the bonus track here) but all of them get you grooving with complex drum patterns and really low bass, and there's far less boring moments than other recent releases thanks to the succinct running time.

Also they totally should've aired that music video on [adult swim].

Best Track: T69 Collapse
Rating: 8/10

Last edited by rayword45; 09-20-2018 at 12:13 PM..
Old 09-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #711
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

should check out these for the state of 2018 micro techno:

frank bretschneider - lunik
alva noto - unieqav

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 05:54 PM   #712
rayword45

Day 472: Iridescence by Brockhampton (Album Choice: the usual)

Time is a fickle thing and you best realize how the hype train moves before you fuck yourselves over.

That's definitely not what happened to BROCKHAMPTON, based on their YouTube views, but this is the longest hiatus we've had between albums and on a personal level, I've found my hype for this band has lulled into a tepid excitement with a remaining strong desire to see them live, rather than the straight Stanning I was going through last year. This album also sees the biggest shake-up yet with the booting of Ameer Vann, but he was never my favorite member so I'm not too worried about that negatively affecting the band's sound, if anything I hope it instead forces them to innovate more.

On a whole level, this album has basically the exact same kinda format as the Saturations with the placement of singles, more experimental tracks and short bits, although I am HIGHLY impressed by the fact that they decided not to include any of the 1990s titled singles on here. In fact, the only things that I think stop this from being Saturation IV are the lack of Spanish-language skits and the last track not being a Bearface track. Sound-wise, this feels like a natural evolution of where the band was heading from the sounds of their third album, with a whole lotta aggressively clipped beats mixed with mellower, pitch-shifted croony bits. Unlike last time, however, the aggressive bits are EASILY the highlight of this album, and there aren't any real tearjerkers like Bleach to be found (I think that's what they were trying for with Weight but I'm more impressed by the IDM-esque amen breaks at the end of that song than any emotional content).

Well, not much else to say, but I really don't think they suffered all that much from the loss of Ameer. What they did suffer from is sophomore fatigue, even though this would be more like senior fatigue. It's still a very consistent album, with only a few filler clunkers (oh man San Marcos is so fucking bad), but it doesn't give me reason to go all super hype like 2017. It is something I will re-listen to, though, and sometimes that's good enough.

Best Track: New Orleans or J'Ouvert

Old 09-23-2018, 07:25 PM   #713
rayword45

Day 473: 7 by Beach House (Album Choice: PixlSM)

Very synthy.
Very dreamy.
Very breathy.
Very same-y.
Very boring-y.

Well, there isn't really a BAD track in this collection so to speak, but this shit really is way too much of the same thing for my liking. The slower and dreamier the song, the better, but they're all of nearly equal quality. I'm usually a sucker for this atmosphere but it just ain't cutting it today.

This album doesn't deserve a better review.

Best Track: Dive

Old 09-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #714
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

):
Old 09-30-2018, 03:12 PM   #715
rayword45

Day 474: Tru by Ovlov (Album Choice: PixlSM)

Two albums in a row requested by one guy! Haven't done that in what seems like forever. I really liked this band, oh, 3 or 4 years ago but actually haven't listened to Am in just about as long and haven't listened to any of their other shit. Also the fact that they appeared on that shitty alt-right sketch show is weird, but I'm not gonna hold it against them since they apologized.

This is a good, concise album and it sounds exactly how I remember this band sounding except maybe a little more chilled out, moderately Dinosaur Jr-esque and I cannot think of another way to describe them. At certain times I feel like it's too same-y, but there is not a bad track on here and it's only a half-hour so I'll give it some slack there.

Good fuzz for 2018, a year I've been unimpressed by most rock I've listened to. Okay back to the homework I've listened to this album like 5 times and couldn't write more.

Best Track: Half Way Fine
Rating: 7.5/10

Old 09-30-2018, 03:18 PM   #716
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

(:
Old 09-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #717
rayword45

Day 475: Lunik by Frank Bretschneider (Album Choice: aperson)

Ironically, given the person who recommended this album, I think I'd enjoy this a LOT more if I was tripping sack or something.

That's not to say that this is a bad album, but rather that this music is somewhat and somehow different in tone than I initially expected. I expected something much more cold and mechanical-feeling, and while this DOES fit both of those criteria, there is also an undercurrent of psychedelia that runs throughout the album. Was that intended? Or am I just shouting out my own wrong interpretation? Who gives a shit?

Also this album is too long for its own good and kinda gets boring up until the end when suddenly the amount of melody spikes up. Not a bad album, but it's obviously very niche and I'm focusing too damn much on my math studies to actually go in-depth here.

Best Track: Sputnik
Rating: 6/10

Old 10-10-2018, 10:07 PM   #718
Deadlyx39
FFR Player

Another one that came to mind is City by Strapping Young Lad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Blaster View Post
Why should I care about this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
whats in it for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz13114 View Post
Fun times and meme sluts
Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
ew meme sluts
ew fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
do you realize how asinine all of your posts are
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i would also like to take this opportunity to shout out deadlyx39

on the one hand i feel as though your absence from these forums is a shelled victory for all ffr forumites however after careful examination of my internal feeling apparatus i have come to the conclusion that i do in fact miss your posts

[...]

come back

i need to laugh at you

once more

Deadlyx39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 04:08 PM   #719
rayword45

Day 476: Tha Carter V by Lil Wayne

...did he HAVE to make the first real track the one featuring XXXTENTACION? I mean rest in peace and all, but ? was still a great representation of the dude's musical talents AKA nearly none and jesus fuck this is just unnecessary.

I've listened to this album 4 times in full since it came out, and still have remarkably little of worth to say. No other songs reach the nadir of the aforementioned first one, in fact after that this project is remarkably consistent, which I'm not sure is made more or less impressive in light of the fact that half of these tracks are 5+ years old now. There are a few duds here and there but the fact that I want to cut less than 30 minutes out of this project when it's fucking movie length is amazing on itself. Either way, this is waaaaay more enjoyable than Sorry 4 The Wait 2 was, which I still stand by as terrible.

Sorry I don't have more to say. Look, you already listened to this or you didn't, and if you did you know exactly where you stand. This is unnecessary.

Best Track: Mona Lisa

Old 10-17-2018, 10:33 PM   #720
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Two new suggestions :
Church of Misery - Houses of the Unholy
Noname - Telefone
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote