Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > Brag Board
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-8-2016, 01:14 PM   #501
_Zenith_
Accuracy Player
Retired StaffD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Guys, I got StepMania into AGDQ!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoangel691 View Post
But yeah on all the other stuff no matter what there will always be negativity with these types of things. Overall no matter what all the talk of it has had Stepmania trending all over the place and had a huge turnout on the stream. It's a good day regardless of all the haters.
This

Stepmania Day!

_Zenith_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2016, 01:14 PM   #502
t-rogdor
tane orb
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddr_f4n View Post
"stepmania is bad because it isn't a trve rhythm game. you know what real rhythm games are? the fucking Persona 4 rhythm game that wasn't totally a cash-in. I'm upset. I've wet my diaper 27 times in the past hour and mommy hasn't changed me yet. I'm going to set up a pneumatic tube system between my anus and my mouth so I can survive off eating my own shit for the rest of my life"
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2016, 01:15 PM   #503
t-rogdor
tane orb

Send a message via Skype™ to t-rogdor

rhythm game scenes are stupid

also yo what's up linus glad you're still kickin
I saw a flyer on a bulletin board at school asking for high-functioning aspergers/autism people to participate in some kind of experiment, and all I could think was, that sounds like a great place to meet girls.
t-rogdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2016, 01:17 PM   #504
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson ultima View Post
One of the original solords with kenji and is also sp keyboard and controller kaiden on lr2. Surprised he is even here still lol
yea I know that he was solord/kaiden
but I remember a vid on odi of him being the first to get a certain score on some new song on iidx
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2016, 01:18 PM   #505
woker-X
.... :.. .:. ::
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

I watched it live yesterday and it was AMAZING!!!
Thank you for showing this to the world guys!!

I lol'd when he was playing Fabulous Secret Powers, was he singing along or who was singing??
woker-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2016, 01:29 PM   #506
YoshL
Celestial Harbor
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

i sang a bit, but i believe the donation reader sang the high pitched stuff.

The whole crowd sang it and it was beautiful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
YoshL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2016, 01:35 PM   #507
.Gazelle.
Mr. Skeltal
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

lmfao how do we always devolve into a my button pushing game is better than your button pushing game dick wagging contest. If you want to see your game submit your game jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeKrispyKreme View Post
Rap music is music. However, It's not in the traditional sense of how we understand music. The vocals are filled with slangs that gangs used since the 70s and a lot of the instrumentations are replaced with "Street Sounds" instead of traditional instruments. Music is defined as any combination of sounds that is pleasing to the ear, so while one person may find it as "noise" another person can find it pleasing to the ear and so call "vibe" with it as how I think the kids would say it these days.
.Gazelle. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2016, 01:39 PM   #508
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

if you get invited again next year, your warmup should be reality.wav
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2016, 01:41 PM   #509
YoshL
Celestial Harbor

Send a message via AIM to YoshL Send a message via MSN to YoshL Send a message via Skype™ to YoshL

commission reizoko to make a mashup of the game themes in agdq and make a boss file out of that lol

Quote:
Only yours, for an easy price of $19.99! You too can experience the wonders of full motion rump sticking.
Old 01-8-2016, 01:43 PM   #510
Wineandbread
Custom User Title
FFR Veteran

I'm pretty amazed actually how much traction the segment got outside of more viewers on twitch actually. I don't think any other games were specifically highlighted in Kotaku/PCGamer/etc ?

It even woke up some of the old legends from the grave \o/

gjgj Staiain and crew
We climb up a lot of ladders, and fall down a lot of chutes.

Taking "all" oddjobs! PM me requests. Requests filled: 2 last active Mar. 6th, 2017

Keep it real pls. Will deny requests I cannot manage.

Wineandbread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2016, 01:49 PM   #511
-Tim-
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via Skype™ to -Tim-

I'm so glad I got to watch the showcase yesterday, Staiain and Etienne put in work.

-Tim- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2016, 01:58 PM   #512
Quigly
nah
FFR Veteran

important news day
Old 01-8-2016, 02:04 PM   #513
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Posting in legendary thread.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2016, 02:57 PM   #514
Hakulyte
the Haku
Retired StaffD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I think some clarification should be done in terms of how "StepMania" itself can be considered a serious contender as a speedrunning game.
I know it was a showcase to present the game, but I think it's worth taking a look at "how things work" and "how do we explain" how StepMania would fit in the world of speedrunnning.
Yes, I am writing this in hope it generates some discussion about actually making AGDQ staff consider this game just as seriously as any other game, not as a showcase, but a speedrun game. (let me dream~)

1. StepMania is the game, but it's not a game by itself.
StepMania is a program in which you can add songs and play them in it, you can't look at StepMania itself and say "I'm going to try to beat this game under 2 hours" by example.
(Of course you can technically play 3 songs and reach credits, but I think we can all agree that this doesn't mean much and is not worth "speedrunning".)

2. Each songs added in StepMania individually can be interpreted as a game.
StepMania is a fairly confusing game for the general user, I'm not even talking about gameplay, but about how the rules work.
I don't think there's anything official anywhere, but I think it's safe to say that in the context of speedrunning/playing "officially" etc.

- Every songs played should be on J4/L4
- The max score is AAAA.
- You can't use the max score as a goal on every songs because some songs will never be quadded which means that the best benchmark to look at is the scores done by the best players.
- World Records are a good example of songs that have been "optimized" which could be in theory be considered "speedruns".

3. StepMania can actually be interpreted as a game where players fight to reach a goal as fast as possible (!)
Don't get me wrong, you don't "speedrun" songs in StepMania, you "optimize" songs in StepMania.

- If MinaciousGrace AA a song on 1.5x rate and Staiain AA the same song on 1.5x rate, they're equally fast because the time = the duration of the song.
- If one of the two manage to AA the song on 1.6x rate, then one of the two somehow managed to improve "the best possible total time". (note that I'm just using "AA" as a "goal example")
- Yet, technically speaking for us, I believe it would make no sense to post scores based on total time of the song and the scores should obviously be treated with the scoring instead of the time. Ironically, I think it's a new dimension worth taking into account.

4. Modifiers have a direct impact on the game mechanic and can make it dramatically easier or harder. A very good and interesting showcase of this is EtienneSM's St.Scarhand split play at AGDQ. This is "in my opinion" what a normal showcase should be about. What Staiain did is more an example of how "speedruns" should work if they were even implemented for StepMania in the first place.

5. I believe we should try to not use "dump files" in a competitive environment, but rather try to make genuinely really hard songs that follows the notes. Since this was a showcase, I believe it was a good call, but if we were to ever try to approach this game as "speedruns", we should try to use songs that are on-sync with the notes. I'm only mentioning this because I've seen some negative feedback about dumps even though they're fun and I can see why the general audience would find these files very strange from their perspective. Basically, it's going against the spirit of rhythm games in general and I'm not sure it's the greatest idea for the future. Don't get me wrong, HEYAAYEAH was hilarious and I had a good time watching it.

6. I've seen people post in twitch chat things such as "Ruined/Reset" the moment they saw a great or a miss and it made me think that even though these guys were obviously joking, Stepmania is really not that different in that regard from other video games. I can't count the amount of times I restarted a song because I got "that great", "that miss", "that choke", you name it.

tl;dr if you think about it seriously, StepMania actually could have it's place as a speedrunning game, we just need to define properly how everything works and set an example with it.

I'm not the best for expressing this whole idea, but I think someone should be able to make some sense out of it.

Last edited by Hakulyte; 01-8-2016 at 03:04 PM..
Hakulyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2016, 03:11 PM   #515
Tyson ultima
Autismspeaks.gov
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Tyson ultima Send a message via Yahoo to Tyson ultima Send a message via Skype™ to Tyson ultima

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
yea I know that he was solord/kaiden
but I remember a vid on odi of him being the first to get a certain score on some new song on iidx
I legit thought you were Charu.

Last edited by Tyson ultima; 01-8-2016 at 03:12 PM..
Tyson ultima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2016, 03:17 PM   #516
YoshL
Celestial Harbor

just play on haste. charts become more about optimizing combo to maintain speed

Quote:
Old 01-8-2016, 03:18 PM   #517
lurker
ur worst nitemare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
I think some clarification should be done in terms of how "StepMania" itself can be considered a serious contender as a speedrunning game.
there is zero reason to bother doing this
Old 01-8-2016, 03:19 PM   #518
YoshL
Celestial Harbor

unrelated

Quote:
Old 01-8-2016, 04:05 PM   #519
Dynam0
The Dominator
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

What grinds my gears about the salty IIDX elitist types is that I can 100% guarantee you if the reverse situation happened (if IIDX were showcased instead) there would be no shit-talking from the 4key/stepmania scene. At least I hope there wouldn't be, gotta be humble and what-not.
Dynam0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-8-2016, 04:07 PM   #520
YoshL
Celestial Harbor

I can 100% understand if there was salt if there was like a person who submitted IIDX alongside Staiain's stepmania submission, and stepmania got in while IIDX didn't. however, that's not the case at all lol

Quote: