Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > General Discussion > Technology
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2014, 03:10 AM   #1
dragon890x
☆Ξ Phantasy Star Legend Ξ☆
FFR Veteran

Default FFR Laptop Recommendations

I've been thinking about purchasing a new laptop for some time now.

Honestly, I don't see myself using it for anything other than playing FFR.
My current desktop setup makes it extremely hard to play the game, and fiddling around with adjustments eats up too much of my time to truly enjoy it.

I've played FFR on many different laptops, and found that most of them are pretty bad for the game.
However, I did run into a few that were some of the best setups I've ever seen, desktop or otherwise.
I just can't remember the make or model of those systems.

The search function doesn't provide me with much to go off of. I'd also assume that most of the information is a little outdated by now.

I figured a new thread would be perfect for a question like mine.
Which laptop would you recommend for playing FFR?

The weight and screen are somewhat of an issue, but I see the keys and key placement as being the most important aspect.

Thank you guys in advance for helping me out! :3

[ Link ]
dragon890x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 03:49 AM   #2
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR Laptop Recommendations

I wish I had some valuable input on this from personal experience, but I've had the same laptop for 3 years or so now and it was my first one.

I'd imagine these are the main things you'll want to consider, of course:

Spacing of keys, smaller chromebooks are probably a pain in the ass to play FFR on

Durability of keys -- don't have much advice to give on this one... maybe hunt online to see if people complain about it on anything or praise some?

Key type is also important to some, but that will be something you'll have to look into for finding your preference, assuming you won't be using and external keyboard.

Able to boot in Linux if you're going to set it up, or able to run Windows classic at the very least -- from what I have found, computer doesn't make too much of a difference as long as you can disable Aero theme. That's the biggest culprit to the damn windows lag.

Screen connection: I actually have a personal issue with this aspect of my laptop. You want to make sure that you get a laptop with a good solid connection between the screen and the computer, because if you're pounding away at keys sometimes a loose connection method can result in a shaking laptop display while you're trying to play.

aside from that, good luck with it.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:45 AM   #3
dragon890x
FFR Veteran

Thanks for the tips! :D

Could any laptop players provide feedback on their system?

[ Link ]
Old 05-22-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
Izzy
Snek
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

If you are going to be playing ffr on a laptop you should probably make sure it has a solid state drive. I can only imagine pounding on a laptop keyboard would eventually kill a spinning platter HDD.
Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:44 AM   #5
Tidus810
slimy, yet ... satisfying

So I've had a Dell Inspiron 1545 (http://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-.../dp/B002PY7OKI) for about 4 years now, and I've actually really liked it in terms of playing ffr/sm. It's a fairly inexpensive laptop, so it only has 4gb of ram and a 250gb hdd. This actually works well for me and might for you too, since I use it for very simple things like school work and general internet browsing, as well as ffr and sm. The battery life is fine, but I opted for a better battery when picking out upgrades and whatnot.

As for ffr and sm, I can't stress enough how happy I've been with it. For the first 3 years or so that I've had this, I've played both ffr and sm a TON. And not just easy peasy stuff, I was playing a lot of dumps and stuff where the keys are really taking a beating. Speaking of the keys, I've had the same set-up for maybe 2 years now, where I keep my wrists elevated and it works out great. Those four keys are a little worn down, yeah, but none of them have stopped working or anything.

So in short, I don't think this laptop could've been much better (for me) for playing sm and ffr to my heart's content. Also, I don't have many other gaming needs, or else this laptop would be less than ideal. I can play stuff like terraria, and maybe some other simple steam games, but not much beyond that. Hope this helps.

also: I've never had any shaking display type issues like what justin was describing

Last edited by Tidus810; 05-22-2014 at 11:47 AM..
Tidus810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #6
noname219
FFR Wiki Admin
Wiki Administrator
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to noname219

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
If you are going to be playing ffr on a laptop you should probably make sure it has a solid state drive. I can only imagine pounding on a laptop keyboard would eventually kill a spinning platter HDD.
I'm pretty sure the keys will broke before the hard drive. ^^ Anyway, getting an SSD is not a bad idea especially if you intend to only play FFR on it.
noname219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 12:13 PM   #7
Xiz
TWG Chaos

Send a message via Skype™ to Xiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
^ This. I did it with my mac and golly did things improve.

Xiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
dragon890x
FFR Veteran

Tidus, your laptop looks like a pretty good deal. I was able to find a refurbished one going for $300, which is really cheap. If I'm unable to find anything else to compare this too, I just might end up getting it.

I'll attempt to contact my old friend and find out which laptop he was using at the time. If he remembers, I'll let you guys know.

Also, thank you guys for your valuable input. An SSD is definitely something to consider.

[ Link ]
Old 05-23-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
Tidus810
slimy, yet ... satisfying

Cool! Yeah it's been great for me, so if you end up giving it a closer look and are genuinely considering it, feel free to ask me whatever questions come up.
Tidus810 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 01:58 PM   #10
Guest15937
One-handed elite
FFR Veteran

I've been playing on a laptop for 3.5 years, never had any problems with the HDD.

Of course, I think the HDD is on the left of the computer while my numpad is on the right, so that may be why.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:07 PM   #11
SC_coolguy44
Harmonoize
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to SC_coolguy44

I use an HP Pavilion g7. It's an ok computer, could use some fixing up. Sometimes it lags and sometimes it doesn't when I play FFR. The keyboard imo is pretty good and very durable for FFR.
SC_coolguy44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #12
Arkuski
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Arkuski Send a message via Skype™ to Arkuski

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC_coolguy44 View Post
I use an HP Pavilion g7. It's an ok computer, could use some fixing up. Sometimes it lags and sometimes it doesn't when I play FFR. The keyboard imo is pretty good and very durable for FFR.
This is exactly what I have and I love it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayward Vagabond View Post
i can appreciate a good looking woman when i see one and this one just happened to be my mom
Arkuski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 04:47 PM   #13
Guest15937
One-handed elite
FFR Veteran

Mine is the Pavilion dv7. :P
Old 05-23-2014, 04:52 PM   #14
~Zeta~
Flag Master
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

dell latitude d620 has the lightest keys of any and all keyboards. it is a tank so it can endure falls, smashing, and playing. I've been using it past 2 years and it's amazing. great for everything
Old 05-23-2014, 05:04 PM   #15
justin_ator
🥓<strong><span style="col
Resident Overseer
FFR Veteran

Like I mentioned before I've been using the same laptop for three years now, it's a Dell Inspiron n5110.

It's relatively solid and I've never had key issues, but since I've had it for a while I definitely have problems with the screen shaking when playing harder things.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:21 PM   #16
Yulanik
♬♪♫ ヾ(*・。・)ノ ♬♪♫
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Yulanik

Dell Latitude D630, been using it since August of last year for playing FFR/SM. The thing I like most about the laptop is its keys. It's a flat kb and not the chiclet kb you find on a lot of laptops these days, makes for a more natural feeling. Since you mention keys and key placements being one of the top priorities, chiclet kbs are not your friend. These laptops were top of the line back when they were released in 2007, so they still hold up pretty decently. Nothing amazing, but they get the job done, which is just to play FFR/SM lol

Yeah and none of that screen wobble and whatnot, it can stay stable on most surfaces. I tend to play with my left wrist rested on the laptop for better control, and it doesnt slide or anything if I decide to play a harder/longer song.

I also have the newer model Toshiba Satellite, that I use for school and everything else really. I refuse to use that to play FFR tho, mainly cos of the kb and I feel like it won't take the pounding like the Dell and I can't be taking any risks on that. Maybe once I get an external kb I can play on this one, cos it runs FFR/SM like a champ
Yulanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2014, 10:26 AM   #17
dragon890x
FFR Veteran

Sorry for the late reply.

You guys gave some amazing recommendations! I'm going to spend some time researching the mentioned laptops.

Thanks again, you all are awesome! :3

[ Link ]
Old 06-2-2014, 12:46 PM   #18
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I was banned during this so I won't say too much but I would definitely recommend getting a computer with a SSD if you plan on using the laptop keyboard.

If you plan on getting a USB keyboard, hard drive doesn't matter.
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-2-2014, 04:39 PM   #19
BilliumMoto
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest15937 View Post
I've been playing on a laptop for 3.5 years, never had any problems with the HDD.

Of course, I think the HDD is on the left of the computer while my numpad is on the right, so that may be why.
I've had a laptop for two months and I can't play on it because the HDD freezes every time I start smashing arrows. Depends on the laptop I guess.
BilliumMoto is offline   Reply With Quote