Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Flash Flash Revolution > FFR Events

Old 03-16-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
nestlekwik
Retired Staff
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to nestlekwik
Default Official FFR information on 4/14 Convention

So by now you've probably seen the news posted by Synthlight on the main page in regard to FFR hitting up its first convention. Details were scarce but still plenty of people posted and many showed great interest in attending the event. That's a very good sign indeed. But, still, with the responses came about a number of questions in regard to not just our very first public appearance but future appearances as well. Here's the info:

Q: Why is FFR making public appearances?
A: Good question. While the site has now toppled the impressive landmark of one million members, of course, we can't just stop there. Impressively, our tally of dedicated members thus far have come to our site based solely on word of mouth and exposure through other Web sites. However, I come across people on a daily basis who have absolutely no idea we exsist. Posting items on the Internet will only get us so far, thus it's up to us to brave the sunlight and take an in-your-face approach to promoting the Web site and it's offering of great games.

This way not only are people coming to us, but we are also bringing ourselves to the people. What this means is not only does an appearance provide an outlet for our existing members to come out, chill with us and have a fun time but it allows for non-members to see us face-to-face (or face-to-beak if Synthlight brings his outfit) and gather a grand impression of the Web site. The staff members are completely looking forward to finally having a chance to meet members of the Web site and have a good time and if we can get more members signed up to the site, that will be a delicious icing on the FFR cake.

This may lead you to ask, "What's the big deal about having even more members?" There are actually a couple of responses to this but, in essence, having more members benefits every single one of the nearly 1.2 million members on the site. At face value, more members means a tighter community with more people for our existing members to befriend, more music artists making their way onto the site and more stepfile artists willing to lend their talents. FFR has truly become a user-generated site with its members graciously donating their time to expand the game and make it better.

On the business end, however, members are the reason FFR exsists. More members means more potential subscribers and donations and a bigger community is more attractive to advertisers. We don't take all the money we earn for the site, empty it into a vault and swim around in it like we're Scrooge McDuck - FFR isn't free and not only does the revenue make the site possible, it allows us to reinvest into the site and make it even better.

Q: Okay, thank you for the seven hour speech. But why is the first one in Ohio? And not only that, but why Bowling Green?
A: It's where I live. Those of you who follow my profile should remember this, "Of course, I'm talking to Synthlight about a couple of ideas and, hopefully, I'll be able to organize something really interesting in the near future."

I've attended Animarathon every year since its inception and last year the event's attendence broke my wildest expectations. Sure, to some of you having more than 1,000 people at the same event seems like an everyday activity to you, but I live in northwest Ohio. If you can get 100 people to do the same thing here, it's a success. And when you realize that Animarathon is the only event in northwest Ohio that caters to anime, video games and Japanese culture, it seemed to me that finally giving the FFR public appearance thing a shot was a distinct possibility.

Animarathon is a win-win situation for everyone. It does not cost FFR a cent to have a display at the event and there attendence to the event is completely free. It would be awesome to hold an FFR-specific convention but not only does that cost a bunch of cash, but deciding on one location would be torture as no matter where we would opt to hold it, a good portion of people wouldn't be able to attend and would then complain about it profusely on the forums.

But, still, yes, a good portion of you will not be able to attend the event for one reason or another. However, Ohio is located in the Midwest and being located in northwest Ohio, the turnpike and I-75 serve as very accessable routes for those looking to attend from other areas of Ohio as well as states such as Michigan, Indiana, Pennsylvania, Illinois, or in some cases, even further. Many of the site's staff members live in this area and it allows for members to see some of the people who make this site a reality.

This is the reason why the event is a good start for our public appearances. Just think of Animarthon as a feature the staff and some of its members get to "beta test." Thus, I started "talking" with the staff of the event back at the end of January about having a presence at the show. In reality, I was planning to just obtain a vendor's table, set up a computer and maybe get some swag and promotional materials from Synthlight to promote the game. Not in my wildest imagination did I think Synth would want to drive a good eight hours over to the event nor did I expect members would want to consider driving 10+ hours to attend the event.

For those members who are baffled by my choice of event to start our public appearances, I hope this kind of clarifies the decision.

Q: Ohio still sucks, but okay, aside from comradery, what can I expect from FFR at Animarathon?
A: As long as we have some means of display, we should have some setups for people to try the games out and this may include a few items that are only accessable to players who attend our events. Being at a physical location, this also finally allows members with no means to a credit card to purchase FFR goods and become a subscriber.

"Will there be a token hidden at the event?" I guess you'll have to show up to see ... Who knows what exclusive things await members who make the effort to see us ...

Q: I don't like anime, it sucks balls. Why should I bother coming to Animarathon?
A: Well, there are other points of interest at the show. There are always prominent video game displays at Animarathon, which is also why FFR will fit in with the crowd. There is usually one room dedicated to console Bemani such as Pop'N and IIDX complete with AC style controllers and others dedicated to competive games such as Super Smash Bros., a huge title played by many people at the event. The student union not too far from the building the event is held in features a small arcade with an In the Groove 2 machine and some other good titles.

Also, some of the vendors sell video game swag. Wizzy Wig's from Ann Arbor always shows up and they always sell video game related items and some of the vendors sometimes sell video games.

But, really, FFR is all you need, right?

Q: Bowling Green, Ohio? That's like in the middle of a corn field right? Do we have to like use the bathroom outside and eat raw corn if we get hungry?
A: Uh ... no. It's winter, stupid. There's no corn out in the fields right now. Most of the farmers around here grow soybeans anyway.

But, unlike you see on television, the citizens of Ohio are civilized people and not hicky rednecks. Bowling Green is not in the middle of nowhere and between Toledo and Findlay, almost anything you could want to do is within 30 minutes to an hour's drive. Bowling Green has plenty of places to eat including very nice places that serve Italian and Japanese to almost any fast food place you could want. The student union also features a number of establishments.

If people are interested, it is possible we could plan a Michigan get together. For some reason I want to play Synthlight in laser tag and have a night out on the town in Ann Arbor.

However, you still have to pee outside.

Q: Since Nestlekwik lives in Bowling Green and is strong and sexy, can we stay the night at his place?
A: Unfortunately, I currently do not have a place of my own. With all the **** that happened to me last year, I'm lucky to have a place to sleep this far away from my parents. If you need help finding a hotel or such, I'd be glad to help you out if you shot me a PM.

Q: What's the deal with Animarathon then?
A: The event started as a mere excuse to watch anime all day. There were about three rooms that played anime all day and that was the event. Now, however, the event is attended by a mass of people who travel into town to be a part of it. Now the event has many cosplayers, panels, vendor tables and various events that occur throughout an entire building for a single day. Since the attendence is free, the organization raises money for itself through a huge raffle where attendees purchase tickets that are randomly drawn for prizes toward the end of the day.

This event is by no means going to be as massive as ones held in other states or even other areas of Ohio, so don't come expected another Ohyacon, but still the event is a ton of fun and the only event Japanese culture fans in this area of the state have to look forward to every year.

Right now the site is bare bones, but for some info, check out http://www.bgsu.edu/studentlife/orga...hon/index.html

---------------------------------------

In conclusion, I hope this clarifies some of the questions people have had in regard to the convention announcement. Remember that big things start out small and hopefully this is step one in a process that will make FFR events accessible to most of the site's members. Believe us, if we could, we'd buy a semi, spraypaint FFR on the side of it and then Synthlight would don his "I <3 N.Y." trucker hat and tour the country to visit every single state. So please be patient with us while we judge the response we are going to receive from this first event.

I will be posting a sticky later that will ask members what conventions and events they believe FFR should attend so we can get even more ideas as to what places we should consider attending next.

But for those planning to attend Animarathon, thank you. Thank you, thank you, thank you. Having one million members is one thing but having members of a community who are willing to support is this much is frankly overwhelming. Of course, all those who are driving out the event, please drive safely and if you are a minor, please let your parents know where you are going. It's pretty obvious Synth and I aren't going to take any responsibilities for you so be safe and represent FFR well by following the rules of the event as well as the law.

Remember: Animarathon
Saturday, April 14
10 a.m.-midnight
Olscamp Hall on the BGSU campus

Use an online service to get driving directions, but member traveling from the north or south of Bowling Green, Oh (43402) can access the city straight from I-75 (Exit #118) and members traveling from the east or west have immediate access to I-75 from the turnpike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar
Naruto Vs Math Class. That has got to be the funniest choice you'll ever make in your life dude.
nestlekwik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 01:46 PM   #2
Windscarredfaith
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ watermelon
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Windscarredfaith Send a message via MSN to Windscarredfaith
Default Re: Official FFR information on 4/14 Convention

My parents already told me I can't go. =( So sad now.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:22 PM   #3
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

I'm driving out with Fish and ZZ_Sprite. Guess I'll look into cheap motels in the area. Suggestions on ones with the fewest roaches yet still dirt poor pirces?
Old 03-16-2007, 02:30 PM   #4
Billydude
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Billydude

Damn, I wanna go so bad but... there's pretty much no way my parents will let me go.
1. My parents wouldn't drive me all the way to Ohio
2. My parents might think I'd get raped

P.S. will they be showing American anime or the real stuff?

P.S.S. brb watching Naruto Shippuden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissi View Post
If you eat a pizza it does not give you the urge to fly a kite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner692 View Post
What if Billy talked to her? hes irrisistable
My story
Billydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #5
phe0nixblade
Praise the sun mofo
FFR Veteran

I so plan on going now. But I won't let anyone know who I am, muhaahahaa.
Old 03-16-2007, 02:50 PM   #6
Fantasticone
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I sadly can't go cause I don't live in Ohio and I have school and junk like that. Sigh.
Old 03-16-2007, 03:15 PM   #7
JsPapp26
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to JsPapp26

I would love to go, since I'm in the Akron-Canton area, but I'll be in Florida for spring break. And I probably wouldn't be able to go anyway.
JsPapp26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:49 PM   #8
Blazze yes
Banned

So are there going to be a bunch of computers sitting there? If there are i'm going to walk up with a serious face sit down play a song. Then stand up and walk away.

But sadly, I live in NY. This is a great idea, but a large majority of FFR players are somewhere on the east coast and can't make the trip.

Last edited by Blazze yes; 03-16-2007 at 03:51 PM..
Blazze yes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 03:55 PM   #9
talisman
Resident Penguin
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to talisman

I'd seriously consider going (not far from me) but I'm in college at the time.
talisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:31 PM   #10
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

Send a message via AIM to Tasselfoot Send a message via MSN to Tasselfoot Send a message via Skype™ to Tasselfoot

....it's a SATURDAY talisman... SATURDAY. same thing I'm saying to Chardish, who also is in school in the general area. SATURDAY.

plus... you get to meet me.
Old 03-16-2007, 04:44 PM   #11
Pichu_XP
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Pichu_XP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billydude View Post
2. My parents might think I'd get raped

On topic:
After this Convention, it's safe to assume they'll be more like this right? Because I can't make it to Ohio. =(

P.S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazze yes View Post
So are there going to be a bunch of computers sitting there? If there are i'm going to walk up with a serious face sit down play a song. Then stand up and walk away.

But sadly, I live in NY. This is a great idea, but a large majority of FFR players are somewhere on the east coast and can't make the trip.
Hi Blazze.

Last edited by Pichu_XP; 03-16-2007 at 04:50 PM..
Pichu_XP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
TheRapingDragon
A car crash mind
FFR Veteran

Quote:
I live in Britain
=[
TheRapingDragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 04:51 PM   #13
Synthlight
Administrator
Founder, System Administrator
AdministratorFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

SATURDAY SATURDAY SATURDAY!! MONSTER ANIME CONVENTION SHOWDOWN!

(just want to make it clear)

Cheers,

Synthlight
Synthlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:11 PM   #14
Shashakiro
TWO THOUZAND COMBO

Send a message via AIM to Shashakiro

Can't go, no transportation.

Ah well.

If I could drive, I'd gladly go...but unfortunately, I'm too lazy to get a liscence, so that doesn't work =(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogiebear
use ur bain. Itz there for a reason.
Shashakiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:14 PM   #15
Billydude
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Billydude

So... is Synth and Jason and Tass gonna be wearing nametags? lol.

P.S. take pics with/of them ^^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrissi View Post
If you eat a pizza it does not give you the urge to fly a kite.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner692 View Post
What if Billy talked to her? hes irrisistable
My story
Billydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 05:45 PM   #16
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall

Anime......FFR.......Under one roof.

Sound like a fairy tale to me.

Hell I might fly there.

But I doubt it.

I could make a HUGE motor boat engine and attach it to Wales, Scotland and England. Sail on over to Ireland. Throw a rope to Reaper so he can tie it to something. I could then tow Ireland with us to the closest shore to Ohio. Then Drive the rest of the way.

Or I dunno get a boat.

But I doubt it.

I could get involved in a freak nuclear accidet in hope I get some form of power that would enable me to get to Ohio. Like flight or something

But I doubt it.

Although that be cool.

You could go with my first theory and sail over here?

But I doubt it.

And the weather sucks here.

I could.

Meh nevermind.
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 06:59 PM   #17
Rebirth0
FFR Originalbro

I would love to go, but I think I would need a ride.

Is there anyone who would be driving through Kansas City on the way to Ohio? I'd gladly pay for some gas, and of course, everything that I eat/everywhere I sleep/ect. I could also provide a place for the person that gives me a ride, to sleep if they're driving a really long way.

Bowling Green is almost 11 hours away from my house, so I'd expect someone to be really tired after 11 hours of driving. Whoever gives me a ride can stay at my house for how ever long they need. If they need to sleep before we head out for the convention together, and/or if you want to sleep at my place before heading home.
Rebirth0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #18
Tps222
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Tps222 Send a message via Yahoo to Tps222 Send a message via Skype™ to Tps222

Hopefully it'll be a huge success this year. Then hold another one next year, and I'll go for sure.
Tps222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 07:20 PM   #19
ddr_f4n
FFR Player

Damn. If only if it was around the last weekend of June, because I'll be at Ohio for my little sister's softball tourny over there and I would stop by and look around.
ddr_f4n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 08:25 PM   #20
Tasselfoot
Retired BOSS

is the Bowling Green Days Inn decent enough to stay in? 1550 E Wooster St.

lemme know... $70 bucks a night for Fri/Sat. 140 split 3 days, plus taxes and stuff. 50 per person. not too bad. figure another 50 each for gas.