Old 06-7-2008, 06:01 PM   #621
Psychotik
Heckin' Cute
Difficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: How to get better at FFR

When you get carpal tunnel, you know your good.
I want me a grrrl that will call me at 4 in the morning and ask me what my best is on Ants.
Psychotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2008, 06:10 PM   #622
AmberLovesYouu
FFR Player

What helps for me is to just pick a song that you like and that you can get really in to. If you can get in to the song then you're more likely to do better.
Also to pick out a few songs in advance and listen to them a few times before you actually play them.
That helps, too.
AmberLovesYouu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2008, 08:59 PM   #623
S!lent
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

I found I got better by trying to fc all the level 1 songs, then the level 2's then 3's and so on. The songs get harder, and they have different step combinations and speeds which help when you reach the harder songs.

I also find it easier to read the song when the arrows run down, not up.
S!lent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2008, 09:03 PM   #624
OMG its HIM
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by S!lent View Post
I found I got better by trying to fc all the level 1 songs, then the level 2's then 3's and so on. The songs get harder, and they have different step combinations and speeds which help when you reach the harder songs.

I also find it easier to read the song when the arrows run down, not up.
GJ,keep getting more FC's, and go for some AAA
Best FC-Piano Etude

<He Got Laid
Quote:
Originally Posted by djshox View Post
I will kill you.
[img]http://i34.tinypic.com/rs4m0y.jpg
OMG its HIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:32 AM   #625
wwe_extremist
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to wwe_extremist

haha pratice obviously
wwe_extremist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 01:52 AM   #626
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Get Stepmania and turn on Marvelous :P It helps with accuracy a lot, since the standards are a bit higher, so when you move back to FFR your PA will be even better.
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 03:36 AM   #627
Commandersa1
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
Get Stepmania and turn on Marvelous :P It helps with accuracy a lot, since the standards are a bit higher, so when you move back to FFR your PA will be even better.
Turn up the justice you mean? Like go in the machine options in the settings and turn up the justice level, right?
Old 06-10-2008, 04:53 AM   #628
qqwref
stepmania archaeologist

Nah, you don't even need to turn up the judge level. There's a setting somewhere in Stepmania to turn on Marvelous timing for all songs; Marvelous has half the timing window of Perfect, so you get a better sense for how close you're really hitting the notes. (In DDR, Marvelous timing was typically only used when you played on Challenge difficulty, and Stepmania emulates that unless you tell it not to.) People who are much better at Stepmania than I am have told me that the best way to improve PA is to improve MA (Marvelous Attack), so having that extra level of scoring will definitely help you get more accurate overall (since what constitutes a Perfect in FFR is actually a rather wide range). If I remember correctly, Stepmania's Perfect window is a little bit narrower than FFR's too, so if you can AAA a song on Stepmania you should have a slightly easier time AAAing a similar song on FFR.

Of course, if this isn't enough, turning up the judge to 7 (halving the timing window of everything) or installing Ridiculous timing (Ridiculous has half the timing window of Marvelous) can be useful for Stepmania players, but this level of accuracy won't really affect your FFR scores since FFR is all about PA.

Last edited by qqwref; 06-10-2008 at 04:56 AM..
qqwref is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 07:14 AM   #629
Vanilla Mnm
cavs
FFR Veteran

I tried cutting my screen before I read this, but it doesn't work for me, I think it just works for most people, I'd say, & my friend told me it's really helpful for people who play x1, when I play 1.75x
Vanilla Mnm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:17 AM   #630
Master TAnK Evans
FFR Player

you can change the keys, you can go on godnick's training thingy, you can practice, you can do a really hard but passible song (in your opinion) and just keep doing it until you pass it with ease, work your way up through songs. but in the end all this has to do with playing right?. heh so just paly and have fun aka...practice and have fun
ANYWAYS! Have a nice day
Master TAnK Evans
Master TAnK Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #631
devonin
Very Grave Indeed

Send a message via AIM to devonin Send a message via MSN to devonin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godnick View Post
This song will help you improve if you can pass tricky songs:
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...p?songid=12077
Enjoy the treasure!
As an aside, I downloaded this simfile and found it to be incredibly off-sync to the music.
devonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:36 AM   #632
Cristiano Ronaldo
FFR Player

Default Re: NOOBS READ: How to get better at FFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishFishRevolution View Post
I was going to post "Fishing for sticky/10" but then I saw this.

-.-

This does look pretty useful, we'll see how it fares as a sticky, although noobs never read the stickies anyway.

You tell him master :]

Quote:

I HAVE FAILED!!! The message couldn’t be more clear. DAMN DIRTY APES!

Cheers,

Synthlight
Cristiano Ronaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 11:42 AM   #633
Commandersa1
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by qqwref View Post
Nah, you don't even need to turn up the judge level. There's a setting somewhere in Stepmania to turn on Marvelous timing for all songs; Marvelous has half the timing window of Perfect, so you get a better sense for how close you're really hitting the notes. (In DDR, Marvelous timing was typically only used when you played on Challenge difficulty, and Stepmania emulates that unless you tell it not to.) People who are much better at Stepmania than I am have told me that the best way to improve PA is to improve MA (Marvelous Attack), so having that extra level of scoring will definitely help you get more accurate overall (since what constitutes a Perfect in FFR is actually a rather wide range). If I remember correctly, Stepmania's Perfect window is a little bit narrower than FFR's too, so if you can AAA a song on Stepmania you should have a slightly easier time AAAing a similar song on FFR.

Of course, if this isn't enough, turning up the judge to 7 (halving the timing window of everything) or installing Ridiculous timing (Ridiculous has half the timing window of Marvelous) can be useful for Stepmania players, but this level of accuracy won't really affect your FFR scores since FFR is all about PA.
Well I did not know you could turn marvelous off? I thought it was always on in stepmania. So that is why I thought you were talking about the judging.
Old 06-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #634
furslide4itg
FFR Player

is it better to use 2 hands or 1?
Old 06-11-2008, 07:25 PM   #635
tangomango
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Personally, I think that using two hands is easier. I used to play with one hand when I started playing FFR, but I started to use two hands when the songs got faster because my hand would always get tired haha.

But that's just my preference. Use what ever feels right to you.

Last edited by tangomango; 06-11-2008 at 09:36 PM..
tangomango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008, 08:35 PM   #636
NumiGamer
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

I totally agree with the 2 handed thing. I find it much, much easier. I also played with one hand when I started. I switched because I just couldn't keep a combo, even on FBO songs. But yeah, keymap and see what personally feels right to you.
NumiGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 01:02 PM   #637
Master TAnK Evans
FFR Player

at first i played 1 handed and i had fun switching hands and i did really well...but when songs started hitting standard i notice that my one hand could not keep up very well lol and my hand started to get rather sore from all that moving around so i switched 2 hands and I'm telling ya i am doing much better heh....i have a hard time picturing one hand doing a guru only song lol its kinda funny picturing a hand moving that fast in my head though...TWO HANDS!
You will like it i hope ^_^
Master TAnK Evans
Have a great day
Master TAnK Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:40 PM   #638
Light Kitten
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggymatrixcounter View Post
I’m tired of reading “How do I get awesome at this game?” threads….

Hence my rant of How to get better at FFR

First and foremost: PRACTICE!!!!!! this cannot be stressed enough. How do you get better at football? How do you master the gameplay of chess? How does one become a rocket scientist? You practice the trade and learn about what you want to get good at.

But I’ve learned a couple tricks that, coming from my own experiences, can make your practice more effective.

1 ) Scroll the screen so you only see about half of the total screen. C300 (The speed of EVERY song on FFR is not the best way to read many of the harder songs. By scrolling up the screen your reaction time is less thus making it SEEM faster and easier to read. (Trust me it does, ask anyone that has any high score and I’ll bet you they tell you the same thing.)

2 ) Try to hit ALL the arrows. Don’t worry if you get averages, they still keep your combo going. (unlike Step Mania) Your total score heavily depends on a high max combo so hit every arrow at all costs.

3 ) After being able to Full Combo (FC) a song (or not get any misses.) work on your Perfect Attack (PA for short). It’s relatively easier to get perfects on FFR than the standard Step Mania difficulty and the more perfects you get the higher your total score. (Keep in mind that you’ll want to keep your combo over getting more perfects as the max combo has more weight to the scoring system.)

4 ) Finally once you’ve gotten a decent PA (Perfect Attack) and can FC (Full Combo) a song..... “Go for the AAA!!!” (<-- A common term sometimes said to other users) This is where you get all perfects, thus getting the highest possible score for the particular song you are playing. To me this is the only way someone can say that they’ve mastered a song. Every song has a difficulty we can work on if we’ve never gotten a AAA.

Well there you go all you new players. I hope this can be of some help to getting you on your way to becoming a better player. Remember you have to PRACTICE in order to get good, but if you can make your practice more effective, then you can become better, faster.

HOW FFR SCORES YOUR SONG

550 for each perfect
275 for each good
55 for each average
-310 for each miss
-20 for each boo
1000 for each step in your max combo
(from igotrhythm)

And there you have it.... if anyone wants to add something they feel has helped them, I’ll take it into consideration and possibly add it to my list.

Advice from fellow FFR Players:

Doug31: Find a direction that fits your style. (I.E. having the arrows scroll up or down basically.) I've found that playing down is easier than up and I've been playing up for a long time.

LinkisDoomed: My suggestion: don't just play once with one finger style and keep playing that way. I'm stuck with one hand and I don't want to transfer to 2 handed methods because I'm gonna suck at it for a while. Test yourself for a while on different styles of playing.

*Sticky Please?*
perfect + 50
goods + 25
avg + 5
misses - ???
boo - 5
Light Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 10:43 PM   #639
Light Kitten
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by furslide4itg View Post
is it better to use 2 hands or 1?
depends, if your 1 hand you will obv. be better than everyone else
because of how hard it is to stay a 1 hand. and when you master
the songs you'll be guru in no time while 2 hands have trouble
with some songs if your spread your gonna have trouble with
up down and left right combos like on Max Forever,
and if your index your gonna have trouble on repeating arrows sometime.

and 1 hand shouldn't have trouble with it since they will be exp. enough
Light Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #640
cyberaffels
FFR Player

I use the keys A, S, K, L and the speed mod x1.75 speed. The same thing with the screen and PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE