Old 06-5-2009, 03:33 PM   #123
foxyroxy2693
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to foxyroxy2693
Default Re: Recommendations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bojack2424 View Post
animated Star Wars the Clone Wars *cough*
I hope you're tryin to be funny. Clone wars was a joke!
Nothin can own the episodes.
foxyroxy2693 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-5-2009, 05:33 PM   #124
phe0nixblade
Praise the sun mofo
FFR Veteran

Old 06-5-2009, 05:58 PM   #125
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD

You look like a girl but I see some facial hair.
Old 06-6-2009, 02:05 PM   #126
RaptorHaysewus
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to RaptorHaysewus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFD View Post
You look like a girl but I see some facial hair.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsTouch
Dude your an idiot.
....,.,;3
Old 07-6-2009, 07:41 PM   #127
sjoecool1991
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

If this thread counts movies, watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
Or Paprika, but be prepared to be weirded out by Paprika.
sjoecool1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:39 AM   #128
up^
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjoecool1991 View Post
If this thread counts movies, watch The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.
Or Paprika, but be prepared to be weirded out by Paprika.
Reading the description in wikipedia gave me goosepump.
up^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #129
NFD
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NFD

Paranoia Agent, 13 episodes of mind ****.
Old 11-9-2010, 02:15 AM   #130
Relambrien
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Relambrien Send a message via MSN to Relambrien

Reviving this thread with a few years' more experience.

Relambrien's Recommendations Thread Revival

It's been a long time since Squeek made the OP for this thread. There's been a lot of excellent stuff that's come out since then and it's worth getting the word out on it. I'll start by giving a list of recommended series for newcomers to anime. These are going to be shows that people who aren't actually anime fans are likely to find more palatable than the mainstream, even if the mainstream is quite good. I based this list off of personal experiences and another forum's anime recommendations.

Newbie List

Action
Cowboy Bebop - In the future, a space cowboy named Spike goes on old Western-style adventures with an excellent amount of comedy, drama, and action. It's a classic that everyone should watch.

Black Lagoon - The only thing you need to know about this show is that people blow up a flying helicopter by shooting a torpedo at it from a military boat they launched off of a ramp.

Macross Plus - One of the major robot series, with pop idols! I haven't personally seen it, so Wiki it for more info.

Comedy
Detroit Metal City - A parody show about a death metal band named, appropriately, Detroit Metal City. The main singer is actually an incredibly softspoken guy who likes listening to calming pop music, but he's so good as a death metal player that he gets roped into a culture he hates. Hilarity ensues.

Cromartie High School - A parody delinquent show. A bunch of characters try to act tough but end up only doing more and more ridiculous and hilarious things. With a special appearance by Freddie Mercury!

Azumanga Daioh - The canonical "slice of life" anime. Follows several high school girls through their normal lives and the amusing antics they get themselves into. No real cohesive plot or compelling story, just light amusement.

Drama/Suspense
Haibane Renmei - A very slow-paced, thoughtful show about angels. Watch it if you need to have your life slowed down.
Gankutsuou - The Count of Monte Cristo, but anime!

Fantasy
Mushishi - Slow and relaxing, like Haibane Renmei. But it has an aura of quality around it you can't help but appreciate. Follows an "exterminator" as he goes around Japan.

Kara no Kyoukai - I'm going to plug this hard, as it's one of my favorite things ever. It's a set of movies based on a novel written some time ago, about a woman whose eyes allow her to see the "deaths" of things, in the form of lines along their forms. By cutting these lines, she can kill the thing immediately, even if it is not living. A vase will instantly shatter, for example. The story follows her and other characters as they try to solve various mysteries and deal with problems in a subtly magical world. Contains a lot of abstract exposition and thought that, while certainly atypical for anime, also puts off a lot of people for making too little sense. Written by Kinoko Nasu, of Tsukihime and Fate/stay Night fame.

Horror/Mystery
Baccano! - This is the only thing I'm going to put in this category, because it's fantastic. Follows several 1920s gangsters in America, as well as related people. Why horror/mystery? There's something quite odd about these gangsters. What this is is hinted at early on and expanded more as the story goes on, in a non-chronological order. This show's greatest strength is its characters, which are utterly amazing in every way. There is literally no reason for anyone to not watch this.

Psychological
Death Note - the canonical example. A genius high schooler with a superiority complex finds a notebook outside of school one day. Reading inside of it, he finds that it is a "Death Note," and by simply writing down a name, he can kill any human in the world. Developing a God complex, this high schooler decides that he will purge the world of criminals by killing them all, but of course this is noticed by the police. He gains a rival, a detective trying to find him, whose deductive skills rival his. The show's primary appeal comes from the battles of wit and logic the two engage in, which are quite well done.

Paranoia Agent - directed by the late Satoshi Kon, who will have a spot later in this post. In the near future, a mysterious boy known as Shounen Bat starts attacking people who have had issues in their life. The show explores the issues these characters had and how their encounter with Shounen Bat has changed them, before finally culminating in an excellent admonition of a certain aspect of culture. There is only one show on this list which I think can only be done in animation, and this show is it. This is the pinnacle of what the animated medium can do.

Romance - Sorry, not much experience here. But...
5 Centimeters Per Second - A movie about a young pair who liked each other in elementary school, and are now reunited many years later. Touching moments ensue as they grow and learn to accept their new separation.

Honey & Clover - Never seen it, but I only hear good things about it.

Sci-Fi
LEGEND OF THE GALACTIC HEROES - World war, but in space. This is the greatest space opera that has ever existed. The Free Planets Alliance fights in a brutal, ongoing war with the Galactic Empire. Both sides have characters that are extremely memorable and likable, and the respect that the two genius commanders have for each other is sublime. The tactics are well thought-out and reasonable, the plot, drama, and characters are all superb, and the battles are simply beautifully executed. Although it's incredibly long for a newcomer series at 108 episodes, it's worth watching some just to say you did.

Eureka Seven - LoGH is a tough act to follow, but this show is pretty much the only one I know that can. In a world similar to ours, 14-year old Renton Thurston lives with his grandfather working on being a mechanic, and overall hating his boring life. His only joy comes from "lifting", a sport in which one surfs on invisible particles in the air known as "trapar." His idol is lifting legend Holland Novak, and one day, when a beautiful girl in a mecha crashes into his house, and Holland comes to pick her up, Renton's life changes dramatically. Contains incredibly-well done plot and characters, and their development is the greatest I've ever seen. The series takes significant inspiration from Sir James Frazer's The Golden Bough, a study on rituals and anthropology.

Sports
Giant Killing - Manly soccer! East Tokyo United is a soccer team that was stunned many years ago when its star player, Takeshi Tatsumi, left the team to go coach an English amateur team. Since then, ETU has fallen into a slump from which it has never recovered. One day, Tatsumi returns, to become ETU's manager. His incredibly odd coaching style, but significant dedication and understanding of the game lead him to make quite a shock in the Japanese soccer world. Using his eccentricity and brilliance, he does everything in his power to lead ETU to victory. Besides Tatsumi, most of the players on the team are fleshed out and developed as characters as well.

Akagi - I'm not too familiar with it, but it's the canonical gambling anime.

That's everything for the newcomers list. Now I'll go ahead and list my recent favorites.

Personal Favorites

Baccano! - Already mentioned. I absolutely love this show's characters. Everyone is amazing to see, and the characters carry the plot fantastically well. The fact that it's a change from the typical Japanese setting is even more refreshing.

Baka to Test to Shokanju, a.k.a. Baka and Test - Summon the Beasts - An incredibly funny show about a school in which academic prowess is measured by RPG battles. Everyone has a personal avatar they can summon whose stats are based on that person's last test score. These avatars can do battle against avatars from other classes, and if one class wins an overall battle, they can swap classrooms with another class. This works out well, since the school is arranged in classes by academic prowess, and better classes get indescribably better conditions. The main humor comes from the main character's interactions with the rest of the cast, who, while all filling very stereotypical roles, do so quite well with new kinds of entertainment I hadn't yet seen.

Clannad ~After Story~ - The "second season" of the Clannad anime. The original show was based on Key's visual novel of the same name, which if you don't know anything about Key, means it's a harem VN. What makes Clannad different is that in After Story, the main character finally settles down with a girl, and the plot follows them as they grow both individually and together. I'd say my favorite part about this is the fact that every character has noticeable and relevant flaws. The plot is used as a way to help these characters overcome these flaws, and it does so superbly well.

Durarara!! - Written and produced by the same author and team as Baccano!, it's got the same feel, but in modern day Japan. The underground life of Ikebukuro allows for an excellent setting of intrigue and plotting, while throwing in a mysterious headless bike rider who maybe isn't so mysterious after all. Again, the characters in this show are just too damn compelling to ignore (seeing a pattern yet?). The plot weaves itself very well, and even the characters you wouldn't expect to have much quality show themselves to be quite worthy of being included.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood - The new incarnation of the Fullmetal Alchemist series. The first anime diverged from the manga early on, whereas this one stays true to the manga to the very end. You won't see any Nazis here, but rather a world where everyone gets to be badass at some point or another. Every character is relevant, even in the massive cast, and they're all individually memorable. It's an amazingly well-put together story with all you could ever ask for.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni Kai - Although older, I have to put this here. It's the second season to Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, which most should recognize as "that horror anime". The best I can tell you is to just go watch it, the mystery behind the plot is more compelling than you can imagine.

Sengoku Basara - It's feudal Japan if you made it incredibly hot-blooded and gave people power to shoot lighting from the six swords they're wielding or ride up a sheer vertical wall by standing on two horses at once while holding your giant battleaxe. Also, Norio Wakamoto voices Oda Nobunaga.

Summer Wars - A movie directed by Mamoru Hosoda, who is often recognized as a potential successor to Hayao Miyazaki (Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away, etc.). A young high school math whiz gets invited to go on vacation over summer with the girl he's liked for a while, to pretend to be her boyfriend so her grandmother would approve. But when he solves a mathematical encryption sent to him one night, the virtual world of Oz which the entire world uses to effectively run itself has been completely distorted. A plot to find out what happened follows, with every character making important contributions to the resolution. Characters include the badass old man who channels Captain Falcon (quote: "We'll show you our moves"), and does battle on a DS, the e-Sport tournament champion, and the government secret agent. Features a special appearance by my university!
(If you've seen the Digimon move Our War Game when you were younger, this will look familiar to you. Same director.)

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time - Also by Hosoda. The story this time is that a girl finds herself able to literally leap back through time by jumping while moving fast enough, and she uses this to her advantage to figure out how best to improve her life. But there's more to what's going on than meets the eye, and she must figure out a way to save everything she worked so hard to achieve. Also bears striking resemblances to Our War Game.

Spotlight: Satoshi Kon
Satoshi Kon was a director for Madhouse who died of terminal illness not long ago. His main works were Paranoia Agent, Millennium Actress, Perfect Blue, Paprika, and Tokyo Godfathers. All are absolutely stellar. The thing they all have in common, with the possible exception of Godfathers as I haven't seen it, is the blurring of reality with fiction. The plots tend to follows characters as their mental states get worse through stress or illness, until some climactic event happens where they must confront the mystery and defeat their own weakness. Paprika is a bit more jovial than the other works, being about dreams, but is infinitely more trippy as a result. All are excellent and should be watched.

Gems from This Season
Okay, maybe not all "gems." But definitely things worth checking out.

Bakuman - It's an anime about manga about making manga to turn into an anime. It's quite entertaining in its own right, but seeing how these two middle school students will make their dream of writing a manga that gets an anime come true will be especially interesting. The odd love story between the characters Mashiro and Azuki is quirky but well done. Definitely check it out.

Kuragehime - a.k.a. "Jellyfish Princess". Being simulcast by Funimation. It was originally a josei story, i.e., written for older girls/women, about a group of female otaku living together. Each person has a different specialty: Romance of the Three Kingdoms, dolls, trains, old men, and jellyfish. Their interactions, especially the main character with a person she meets in the first episode, are highly entertaining and I can tell this story is going places.

Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt - Streamed on Crunchyroll. Produced by Gainax. "Of course," you say. The basic premise is that two angels who have fallen from heaven because of their vices must defeat agents of Hell in order to redeem themselves and return. However, these two have no care for that. Panty just wants to "get dirty" all day, and Stocking just wants to eat sweets all day. This is a radical change in pace as it's the first anime I've seen in which men are made into sexual objects, instead of the other way around. But really, Gainax pulled out all the stops on making this as ridiculous as possible. I didn't think they could beat Gurren Lagann, but they did. The humor is more novel than anything, but the fact that these plots even exist is enough to make them incredibly entertaining. Don't be put off by the premise, this is by far the most hilarious thing this season.

Shinryaku! Ika Musume - "Invade! Squid Girl!". Also streamed on Crunchyroll. In revenge for humanity's pollution of the seas, aquatic hero Squid Girl must come from the depths and conquer humanity to cause the damage to cease. Too bad she's hilariously incompetent and just ends up getting bossed around in ever more hilarious fashions. Imagine Sergeant Frog, but with less product placement, less fanservice, and more wacky.

Star Driver: Kagayaki no Takuto - "Star Driver: Takuto of the Radiance". Main character and resident prettyboy Takuto Tsunashi arrives on an island for a new school year in quite an odd manner. On this island exist a number of mechas known as Cybodies, though they're different from your standard fare. You'll have to see to find out. But basically, think of this show as the spiritual successor and opposite of Nanoha. This is the director's first job, and he's explicitly stated that he views mecha shows as simply a different extension of magical girl shows, and it shows. This show is FABULOUS. It's like Utena all over again. Not convinced anything could be as fabulous? How about if I tell you Takuto's official title is "Galactic Prettyboy?" There's also his transformation sequence, which is a whole other beast entirely...

And that's all for this season. Now, a special consideration.

Special Consideration
To Aru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index)
To Aru Kagaku no Railgun (A Certain Scientific Railgun)

These shows are...odd. I can't call Index good, but it's compelling somehow. Railgun is what I would call legitimately good, but it has flaws that drag it down. Anyway, here's how it goes. In the near future, humanity is on the forefront of developing people's latent psychic abilities. A city known as Academy City was constructed for this purpose. The vast majority of the population are students receiving this development along with their standard education, including protagonist Kamijou Touma. Touma is a Level 0--no discernible power. However, his right arm has the ability to nullify the effects of all other psychic, or esper, powers it comes in contact with. One day, an inexplicably moeblob nun named Index shows up on his railing dead hungry. Plot ensues. There are quite a few good characters, but overall it feels like the story is a bit weak.

Railgun is a side story of Index, following the adventures of Index character Misaka Mikoto. She's one of the most powerful espers in Academy City, one of seven Level 5s. Her nickname is the "Railgun", and with good reason. Her signature ability is the power to user her control over electricity to accelerate a coin to such incredible speeds that its destructive force is unimaginable. Railgun follows her and her group of friends solving various mysteries and problems around Academy City, with a few cameos by Touma and Index. The plot is much better here and much more coherent, but it tries way too hard to pander to the lowest common denominator with copious amounts of fanservice, which only drags it down.

Anyway, that was fun. Hopefully someone finds this useful.

Last edited by Relambrien; 11-9-2010 at 02:21 AM..
Relambrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 08:14 AM   #131
MrRubix
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Relambrien's list is very good -- but I'd also throw in Code Geass. Lots of really interesting subplots (including one with a twist that I thought was genius), with an extremely epic ending to the first season. Second season was great too, albeit feeling a big lagged.

This signature is now diamonds.

Last edited by MrRubix; 11-9-2010 at 08:17 AM..
MrRubix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 11:23 AM   #132
Izzy
Frau Bow
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Izzy Send a message via MSN to Izzy Send a message via Skype™ to Izzy

I'm currently watching "Darker Than Black" so far it has been good and entertaining. I'm more into serious anime so this is my style.
Old 11-9-2010, 03:09 PM   #133
RobertsonaIsBack
FFR Player

relambrien wheres monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by customstuff View Post
BUMP with our first ever Dubstep permission!!
RobertsonaIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-9-2010, 03:32 PM   #134
Relambrien
FFR Player

It would be there if I knew anything about it other than "people say it's good". I don't even know its genre.

Edit: Also since I've never seen it I can't put in personal favorites, and I'm not sure of its accessibility to newcomers.

Last edited by Relambrien; 11-9-2010 at 04:00 PM..
Old 11-9-2010, 06:37 PM   #135
AsphyxZero
Banned
FFR Veteran

Panty Stocking is amazing. I've yet to download anything beyond the first episode, but the first episode was awesome.
AsphyxZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:59 PM   #136
Relambrien
FFR Player

So, Winter Sucks.

Here's a chart for this season.

Shows of potential good note:

Beelzebub - Adapted from a manga where the protagonist solves all of his problems by beating people up. The manga is damn good, hopefully the anime will be the same.

Kimi ni Todoke - If you liked the first season, you'll like this. The source material has stayed basically the same, so yeah.

Wandering Son - Might also appear under the name "Hourou Musuko". The source material is a hard-hitting examination of gender identity. Expect heavy artistic quality from this one.

And that's it. That's literally all I can find that might be good about this season. Maybe, maybe Fractale and Gosick will be good. Fractale's premise at least sounds relatively engaging, and Gosick is made by Bones, who haven't disappointed me yet (both Fullmetal Alchemists, Eureka Seven, Star Driver, Xam'd).

Now for the guaranteed-to-be-bad!

Merry Dream Eater - This is pretty much an anime mad-lib:
[NUMBER] years ago, [PROTAGONIST] noticed he had a power to [POWER] when he [PERFORMS ACTION]. Every so often, he/she has dreams about [UNRELATED CONCEPT]. One day, [UNEXPECTED EVENT] happens. Seriously. Auras, cats, and a girl falling on top of a guy. How much worse could this possibly get?

Haiyoru! Remember My Love(Craft-sensei) - It's Lovecraft, but moe. No, really. That's the entire joke. That's it. It's terrible.

I Don't Like You At All, Big Brother! - What. Did someone look at Ore no Imouto and go "HEY LET'S DO THIS IT'S AWESOME"

Other things this season which I don't hold hope for, but I will at least not immediately discount, might be Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica, since it's done by Shaft and Shaft's craziness can save even the dumbest of concepts, and Houkago no Pleiades since it's Gainax (doing something with...Subaru? WHAT).

Last edited by Relambrien; 12-16-2010 at 09:50 PM..
Old 05-11-2011, 12:09 PM   #137
Mans0n
Sun and Stars
FFR Music ProducerFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Mans0n

If you like drama filled comedic/romantic TV shows, I recommend Glee! IT is an awesome show that also part musical. Overall I'd say its very enjoyable!

Check out my band profile and give it a like! :P
Mans0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:15 PM   #138
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Multiplayer ModeratorEvent StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #139
sjoecool1991
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
Probably because it's a sticky and this isn't really bumping?
sjoecool1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #140
Skelogon
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

really recommend Darker than Black, and Darker than Black season 2 is better