Old 11-29-2006, 06:37 PM   #1
Squeek
let it snow~
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default Recommendations.

I'm not on AIM often enough, so when I do get on, people want to take the time to ask me what I'd recommend they'd watch. Anime, of course. I don't know much else.

All I really do is paste my list from ANN that has my ratings of every show I've ever seen and comment on the ones he or she is interested in. Instead of doing that, I'd figure I could do that here and allow others to see it, along with others making their own recommendations. All of these are the subtitled versions. American dubs tend to be horrible and remove all that was amazing with the original series. Not all are this way, but most of them turn out to be utter crap.

Each recommendation should include a genre. Why? Because I don't want to be recommended a drama romance when I clearly like Shounen and comedy animes. Similarly to how you wouldn't give a rap fan a country album for his birthday.

Oh, and if you recommend Naruto or Bleach, I'll delete your post. If you don't follow the guidelines, I'll delete your post. I'm trying to keep this somewhat professional.

So, onwards with my recommendations. These are all anime I've rated 9 or 10 on ANN, or "Excellent" and "Masterpiece" respectively. Oh, and alphabetical order.

One last thing, "Mahou Shoujo" means "Magical Girl". It's Sailor Moon-esque. I guess. "Shounen" generally means "for boys", while "Shoujo" means "for girls". Shounen anime tends to be several seasons long with several main characters engaging in some form of competition (fights, games, sports, etc). Shoujo animes are generally romance and drama.

PS - Use Anime News Network's Encyclopedia for more information on anything that interests you.

PPS - Use that site because my "summaries" of the shows are pretty bad.

Azumanga Daioh - Comedy / Slice of Life (Excellent (9.3))
Story about six girls and their lives in high school. One of the funniest shows ever made. The most unique animation and facial expressions that absolutely define perfection.

Battle Athletes Victory - Comedy / Science Fiction (Excellent (8.7))
I saw this after one of my self-proclaimed Masterpieces, Stellvia. It's pretty much the same thing except Stellvia is so much better. It's basically a story of a girl who's in this school for female athletes training to be the best girl in the world.

Cardcaptor Sakura - Mahou Shoujo / Drama / Comedy / Romance (Masterpiece (10))
One of the first shows I ever saw. I even saw a few episodes of the dub when it first aired. Once I saw the real thing though, it just blew me away. This is by far one of the most defining moments in anime.

Cowboy Bebop - Action (Masterpiece (10))
Well, this is obvious. It's just awesome. There's a reason it's one of the top-rated shows of all time. It's a story about bounty hunters getting through everyday life in the future. Also has one of the best soundtracks ever made.

Elfen Lied - Drama / Horror (Excellent (9.1)) (Mature audiences only)
Looking back, I don't really know why I enjoyed it. It was just great. Solid animation and a great storyline.

Fate/Stay Night - Action (Excellent (8.9))
It had potential to be much better than it was, but it was still pretty sweet. Really had a compelling story for the first half that kept you wondering what was going to happen next and made you hate its weekly release.

FLCL - I don't even know. (Masterpiece (9.8))
It's FLCL. Just watch it. I can't even begin to describe what it's about.

Figure 17 - Drama / Action (Excellent (8.6))
Not only does this show have the best soundtrack from any anime ever, it's also a really good storyline. The only difficulty with this show is that every episode is an hour long, so you really have to dedicate time to it. It's a story about how one girl grows as a person in light of disastrous events.

Fruits Basket - Drama / Romance (Excellent (9.2))
Ok, so this show is intended for girls, but it's still really good. Basically about one girl's relation with a family of individuals with a strange relationship.

Galaxy Angel - Comedy (Excellent (9.3))
The best part about Galaxy Angel is that things happen for no explainable reason. They just are. It's only 10 minutes to an episode meaning you can fit one in just about anytime you want. Nothing really happens, but it's supposed to be a story about how a crew of girls known as Galaxy Angel search for Lost Technology.

Getbackers - Shounen / Drama / Comedy (Excellent (8.9))
Show about how two guys make a living as "Get Backers", finding things people have lost. As the story develops, this ideal changes a bit. It's not your general Shounen anime seeing as it's not even a full two seasons long, but it's about the same thing toward the end.

Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO) - Comedy / Drama / Slice of Life (Masterpiece (10))
An ex-biker gang leader decides he wants to become the greatest teacher in the world. He challenges classrooms that other teachers run away from in his goal to become the greatest teacher. Really awesome.

Hellsing - Action (Excellent (9.4))
Vampire seeks to rid the world of lesser vampires for an organization known as Hellsing. On par with Cowboy Bebop and Trigun for shows with awesome main characters who uses guns.

Hikaru no Go - Shounen / Drama (Excellent (9.2))
I used to hate this show too. Haha. It's really a slow-starter. It's a show about a board game. A really difficult and old board game called "Go". When I say difficult, I mean I saw the entire show and I still have absolutely no idea about even the most basic concepts of the game. The one retaining quality in this show is that there's a slow, gradual aging process that happens over the 75 episodes. Time ACTUALLY passes in this show and the main character grows up over time.

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha - Mahou Shoujo / Comedy / Action (Excellent (9.6))
This is probably the best Mahou Shoujo show ever made if you don't count CCS. The animation is crisp and the story is awesome. It's your generic Mahou Shoujo anime in the beginning. Girl meets thing and becomes magical. Then it very quickly drives itself away from that and becomes more and more awesome. AND it leads to...

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha A's - Mahou Shoujo / Comedy / Action (Excellent (9.7))
Yay! The sequel! It's even better. Don't ask how. Episodes 11 and 12 dude. Oh by the way, I wrote the plot summaries on ANN. Go me.

Mai-HiME - Drama / Action (Excellent (9.5))
Wow, this show was amazing. Standard Mahou Shoujo intro but then quickly delineated. Became increasingly more and more amazing as it progressed. Oh, and the sequel isn't very good, so you can skip it.

One Piece - Action / Adventure / Comedy / Drama / Shounen (Masterpiece (I wish I could go higher than 10))
Yeah, I have an entire thread for this. No point in trying to re-type that.
http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/...ad.php?t=48509

Outlaw Star - Action (Excellent (9.0))
There was something about Outlaw Star that made it better than the average "we're in da future nowz lol" show. I can't quite place it. It was quite an awesome show though.

Pita Ten - Comedy / Drama (Excellent (9.1))
Main character lives alone with his dad. He gets a new neighbor and it turns out she's an angel. Then a devil moves in. It's fun. Did I mention this is a drama comedy?

Read Or Die Action (Excellent (9.4))
When I say Read or Die, I mean the OAV, which some people confuse with being a movie. The TV series is alright, but the OAV is just spectacular.

S-Cry-Ed Action / Action / Action / Action (Excellent (9.2))
You read the genre correctly. There's barely a plot in this show because there's too much action. It's a wild ride that barely ever slows down.

Shakugan no Shana Action / Drama (Excellent (8.9))
Probably one of the strangest introductory episodes of a television series when you immediately find out the main character is dead but still among the living as a human being... kinda. Continued to be a solid show and had one of the best cliffhanger episodes ever but ended up kinda bland in the end.

Stellvia no Uchuu Drama / Action / Comedy (Masterpiece (10))
Yeah, this is my second favorite show of all time behind One Piece. Several things made this anime spectacular. Character growth and development, storyline, music, and setting. It was just perfect. The OP and ED songs are by an artist who I only began to love once I began watching the show. Angela fits the bill for the songs so well. Man I want to re-watch this show for the third or fourth time soon.

Trigun Action (Excellent (9.3))
We've all heard of Trigun. It's the exact opposite of Cowboy Bebop. Main character of Bebop is a bounty hunter whereas the main character of Trigun is the biggest bounty in the world. Did I mention that this is the show where Kuroneko, the greatest anime character ever created, comes from? Because Kuroneko is from this show, and he rocks. He rocks hardcore man.

Yakitate!! Japan Shounen / Action / Comedy (Excellent (9.0)
Ok. I thought Hikaru no Go was weird. 75 episodes about a board game. But then out comes Yakitate. 69 episodes about... making bread. BUT IT'S EXTREME BREAD MAKING. And it's really good. Like, there're morals and predictable endings and such. That's what makes a Shounen anime after all!

Ok your turn ready go.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2006, 06:52 AM   #2
SethSquall
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to SethSquall
Default Re: Recommendations.

Have you seen Hellsing Ultimate? I think its really good. If you liked Hellsing I think you'd like Ultimate. I think there are three at the moment and they are still making them. I also think there going to go into the story from the Manga "Hellsing - The Dawn" or "The Dawn of Hellsing" can't remember what it's called exactly. Anyway it's about when Walter and Alucard fought in a world war. Each episode is about 40 to 50 minutes long as well. I've seen two episodes and I loved it. A lot more violent and such. In two episodes they have covered most of the story from the normal anime. I personally prefer how Ultimate tells the story. I was left on a cliff hanger last episode with reason to believe they'll go into The Dawn.

Ps. You know the genre and that, same as Hellsing.

Jesus I can't explain for crap heres the ANN link:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=5114

Alternative title: Hellsing Ultimate OVA Series

Age rating: Mature (May contain sex, drugs, and extreme graphic violence)

Genres: Drama, Horror, Shounen, Supernatural

Plot Summary: Vampires exist. It is the duty of Hellsing, a secret organization sponsored by the British government, to hide that frightening fact and protect the blissfully unaware populace. Along with its own personal army, Hellsing has secret weapons. Alucard, an incredibly powerful vampire, has been controlled by Hellsing for years. It is unclear if he dislikes being a servant to the Hellsing family, but he certainly enjoys his job as a vampire exterminator. Seras is a fledgling vampire and a former police woman. Although reluctant to embrace her new self, she is still a valuable member of the organization. Integra Hellsing, the current leader, is usually fully capable of fulfilling her duty, but lately, vampire activity has been on the rise. Unfortunately, the cause is more alarming than anything she could have imagined. A group long thought dead has been plotting in secret since their apparent destruction over 50 years ago. Plotting to plunge England, and perhaps the entire world, into war.

Last edited by SethSquall; 12-1-2006 at 11:11 AM..
SethSquall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2006, 10:12 AM   #3
ZeroEiyuu
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to ZeroEiyuu

Love Hina
Genre: Comedy/Romance
This is a anime based on the manga about a 20 year-old man by the name of Keitaro who is trying to get into Todai (Tokyo University) because of a promise he made to his childhood sweet heart 15 years ago. In his pursuit to getting into Todai he is made the new Kanrinrin, or owner, of Hinata Sou a All Girl's dormatory. He will find the it is a hard life living at this place and being the only male. His tenants include Shinobu Maehara, a 12 year old girl with blue hair and eyes and has a kind caring heart. Motoko Ayame, a 15 year-old Kendo master in the art of Shinmeiryuu, she has long black hair and has and gets angry and beats up Keitaro a lot. Mitsune(but is called Kitsune) Konno, a 18 year old foxy girl who tricks Keitaro a lot and gets him in a lot of trouble. Kaolla Su, a 13 year old girl who is very energetic and hyper all the time and is a great inventor. Lastly Naru Narusegawa, a 17 year old girl with a mean temper for Keitaro and is also trying to get into Todai herself. In his life at Hinata Sou, he will go through many hard and difficult events. But many funny events happen in this anime. This is a great anime for those who want to see slightly echii things and laugh really hard. I rate it a 10/10.

Mahou Sensei Negima
Genre: Romance/Comedy
This anime is created by the same person who created Love Hina, Ken Akamatsu. Now before I say anything else about this anime, I should say that this is an extremly echii anime, and very funny. This anime is about a 10-year-old boy named Negi Springfield who is a magician in training and has been sent to Japan to teach English at a school called Mahora Campus. Which is nothing but girls. Negi will soon realise that his whole class has fallen in love with his cuteness and soon some will actually fall in love with this boy (seems wrong since he's 10 and they're like...15-17) His goal is to make sure that his class passes this year of school, once that is done his magician title will be given to him. But it is harder than he thinks because of all his students who have their own crazy personality and hobbies. Especially Asuna, a student who finds out that he's a mage. I great anime that will make you fall in love with the characters. You will find at least 5 characters in this anime that you will just fall in love with. I rate it a 8/10.

Aishiteruze Baby(Litterly translated as 'I Love You Baby')
Genre: Romance/Comedy/School life
This anime is a very great sweet and...well cute story. It's about a highschool student named Kippei. He's always been a womanizer and hits on pratically any cute girl he sees. Kippei's life will soon change when he is suddenly taking care of his Aunt's daughter, Yuzuyu-chan. It would seem that since Yuzuyu's dad died, her mom decided that she couldn't take care of her anymore and was just broken down from this. So since everyone of Kippei's relatives had much more important lives than him, he has to take care of Yuzuyu-chan who is 5 years old. He must take care of her the same way any loving parent would. Yuzuyu quickly becomes very attatched to Kippei who she usually calls Oni-san now (it's very cute). But many events will occur that will make Kippei decide on how he's going to take care of Yuzuyu. I say that everyone should watch this. It's a really cute and sometimes sad anime that can relate to other people's lives if you have a great relationship with your siblings.I rate this a 10/10.

Last edited by Squeek; 12-1-2006 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: Crappy filter on title.
ZeroEiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2006, 11:11 AM   #4
SethSquall
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by djshox View Post
Cardcaptors? Are you serious?

Is there another version I'm not aware of? Because the episodes that aired on like Kids WB were pretty crappy.

ps cardcaptors is softcore kekeke
I love Cardcaptors. It's one of my favourite ever animes.
Old 12-1-2006, 02:02 PM   #5
Jubo
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Jubo Send a message via MSN to Jubo Send a message via Yahoo to Jubo Send a message via Skype™ to Jubo

CardCaptors from American Edit, pretty much don't like cause they get rid of some scenes and Opening and Ending Songs and Videos.

So for those who knows the original title: Card Captor Sakura pretty much know the jap version/unedited version.
- They took off the Shaoran/Li and Sakura's Chemistry... aka love

- - -

From Squeek's post. I pretty much watched most of it (didn't watch: S-Cry-Ed, Outlaw Star, One Piece, Galaxy Angel, Battle Athletes Victory)

And I agree with more of them and some of them are in my top 25 most fav anime list

ZeroEiyuu's list is also one my favs to..
Love Hina is always a starter for most anime fans... or starter in Harem category.

My recommendations... Some may not be in America yet. (Of course you guys watch Fansubs right?).

from previous said...
Mai-HiME
- Usually, the guys will love this... cause it girl with super magical power is awesome way. With good story I would say.. but ending err..

- Mai-Otome is like adaption to Mai-HiME so watch that too after watching Mai-HiME

- so all Mai-HiME/Otome series I recommend

Fate/Stay Night
- Well, if you interested on "King Arthur" and other myths with action (though it seems more romance and drama/talking). With good kicks of story too.

Elfen Lied
- One of those bloody but cute... It ended short of 13+OVA. So you want more at the end and a question remains at the end.

Shakugan no Shana (same as my avatar)
- My fav show... Just combination of many animes with super-girl power, but Shana is firery sword, best part... with a touches of romances. Shows more of this on OVA coming soon and DVD Specials: Shakugan no Shana-tan & Hecate-tan

Fruits Basket
- If you are into shoujo this is another must see then. Though, I'm a male I still watch it. This like my 2nd fav or tied with my first with Card Captor Sakura. A girl saving a family with are cursed with zodiac signs. The funny part is opposite sex hugged the souma family just turn them into the zodiac animal. It is very interesting story here too, though at the end you just want more. And Manga is still going they can absolutely have to continue where they left off on the first anime series. (no announcement on sequel, but rumours floats in the internet)

Hikaru no Go
- Exactly what I'm going to say like Squeek. Starts out slow, though I tend to like slow pace anime cause at the end you ending up wanting more or liking the series. I would say, an awesome Character Development on many characters here... once you at the ending stages of the series of this anime, you definately see alot development. Still, I haven't understand the rules of the game yet...

Ai****eruze Baby
- It good slice of life animes where you have a cousin but it is like you child or maybe lil sister, for more realistic way, to take off while you are a student. A life of student father like.. interesting..

time for the new stuff...

Kanon 2004 and 2006 ~Remake~
- Nice series of romance... First one in 2004 is 12+OVA was good, but many people missed it, so 2006 ~Remake~ is more popular today . Upgrade Graphics and extended story with character development from previous 2004 version which you didn't see fine detail on a couple of characters. the 2006 version is touching all the place we missed on 2004 version plus the animation cause Kyoto Animation is doing them (The ones that did AIR, Suzumiya Haruhi, Full Metal Panic!). BTW, Winter setting

AIR + Movie
- Same as Kanon, but this time Summer setting. Doesn't mean exactly the same Kanon. This was like best Animation of 2004 or 2005 I think so yes, must watch

Gundam Seed Series
- Mecha anime are usually lame or boring for most people or few? But give this shot It addictive...

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
- Just you have to watch it... cause Kyoto Animation did it and same character designer as Shakugan no Shana.

Bleach
- Yah, this beat Naruto atm... cause the fillers of Naruto is killing me so bad, I gave up on watching them when it started it. Made my Bleach interest rised by ten-folds hehe!

Death Note
- A notebook that kills people, alright one of the best concept/story this season. I haven't read the Manga so this great for non-Manga reads since people say it strictly on Manga content.

D.Gray-Man
- I'm seeing alot of interest here since new season of anime this fall 2006. But see some sort of exocist battle with pretty cool weapons... plus, a girl with major jumping skill exocism looks awesome... ATM the story is picking up

Kaleido Star
- Another of those Shoujo Anime. But this show always gives you "Never give up" attitude which is good. Since this attitude can affect you in real-life . But when this show aired and release people where disliking it or not interested in it since it like circus concept... But it is a good show, of not giving up.

Negima!?
- Well, it is a remake of the first series, Mahou Sensei Negima!, since so many people complain about how crappy are the animation was on the first one. So, here comes Negima?! remake and I gotta say they did a great job on this one... though I haven't watch it since I know it is going to great or just so many animes I'm watching atm. But people say lacking fanservice aka preverted scene, so makes it like a kiddish action but not in the extreme way of childish though.

Welcome to the NHK
- Well, here you go a slice of life anime... But in concept of otaku anime/video game person. When I watch it just makes you believe are you otaku enough to be like them? hehe.. it good to watch.

man too many to list .... at this point I'm out of time or just tired of typing and taking a long time on this since I type so slow... They are more out there so many you'll love!

Jubo Simfiles 4k-KB+PAD

Otaku's Dream Mix "Lazy" Owner...
Jubo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-1-2006, 04:45 PM   #6
Squeek
let it snow~
FFR Veteran

The only reason I didn't recommend Negima is because the manga is infinitely better than either of the two animated series.

Read the manga.

And Shox, Card Captor Sakura = Japanese version. CardCaptors = American version. CardCaptors could hardly be considered even remotely related to CCS.
Old 12-2-2006, 03:31 AM   #7
Omeganitros
auauauau
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Omeganitros

One time I saw the first episode of Fruits Basket.

I swear to god, I almost died. I could feel the show sucking my soul dry.

Don't watch it. Don't watch it. Don't watch it. It's stupid and for girls.
Omeganitros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-2-2006, 01:32 PM   #8
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

How about a totally, 100%, completely random selection of stuff I'm watching/have watched recently?

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - Horror, mystery, suspense, drama, and KILLER LOLIS. A must-see. (complete)

Soukou no Strain - Oh hey, a generic mecha anime, yawn. Oh, wait, holy ****, EVERYBODY JUST DIED HORRIBLY. Wow this rules. The sleeper hit show of the season. (in progress)

Musashi Gundoh - The greatest anime ever made. (complete, not fully subbed)

Eureka seveN - I might as well throw my favorite series out there. (complete)

Kanon 2006 - Yuuichi = Kyon amirite? (in progress)

Shuffle! - Harem that turns into deliciously intense drama halfway through. ps kaede lol (complete)

That should keep you guys busy for at least a day.
Old 12-2-2006, 04:44 PM   #9
FoJaR
The Worst

Send a message via AIM to FoJaR Send a message via MSN to FoJaR

Monster: Mystery / Drama. (dark, very good (8))

A japanese brain surgeon (Kenzo Tenma) in Germany is accused of crimes that he didnt commit and goes on the run, and attempts to find the person that set him up.

Initial D - Racing / Drama (very good (8.5))

I'm not a car person by a long shot, but i loved this anime. all about racing.
Old 12-2-2006, 06:50 PM   #10
ZeroEiyuu
FFR Player

Send a message via MSN to ZeroEiyuu

Chobits
Genre: Sci-fi/Romance
This anime is about a highschool student named Hideki who moved to the city. He is one of those poor students who can hardly afford anything, especially the new technology of the 'persocons', which are female robot computers that people own. But on a normal day he finds a persocon thrown away and decideds to keep her. Later on he names her 'Chii' due to the fact that that's all she could say. Throughout this anime, Hideki must teach Chii how to cope with the world. He will soon realise that Chii is a very special person to many other people, especially to himself. This anime is extremly hilarious because it is very echi at times. It's also pretty funny because in the whole thing, Hideki is the only one who thinks he's a pervert, while everyone thinks differently. This anime is also very cute in its own way just because of how Chii is. You'll love watching this anime, I rate it a 8/10.

Makai Senki Disgaea
Genre: Video game/Adventure/Comedy
This is a somewhat good anime, but fails to comparision with the game itself, Disgaea: Hour od Darkness. This anime is about the great prince Laharl, a 1313 year old demon but appears to be 12 prince of the Netherworld, is trying to reclaim his throne as the king. But there are way too many obstacles in his way that are stopping him, but with the help of Angel Trainee Flonne and his 'Loyal' vassal Etna, this will all be a peice of cake, or so he thinks. Compared to the game, this anime is missing a lot of important elements that would've made it a lot better. But it did give some interesting stories such as the whole 'Maharl' thing that happens. However in the end, there is only 1 ending that is shown and it is pretty sad, the game has about 5 different endings. But all in all it's pretty funny and fun to watch. I give this a 6/10 though.

Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Genre: Horror/Adventure
This anime is about a high school student named Shiki Tohno and his adventures as a vampire hunter. It all started when he was a young boy when he suddenly saw these 'red lines' all over the world around him and he later found out that if he cut these lines, he could destroy it. A woman who he called 'Teacher' gave him a pair of glasses that prevented him from seeing these, he never saw her again. However, during a normal day he strolled down the streets and was suddenly overcome by this sudden urge to kill a woman who was passing by. After he killed her, he runs home. But to his surprise, the woman he had just killed was standing at the gates staring right at him. She later reveals that she is Arcueid Brunestud, a 'true ancestor' or vampire. And thanks to Shiki killing her, she needed to revive and now was weakened. Now it is Shiki's job to help her in her quest to kill her enemy named 'Roa'. This anime isn't really much of a horror, more action and adventury, it's really good. Has some romantice parts and a lot of interesting characters. It may not be much of a horror, but it does have some eerie parts in the anime that seem a little gory, but it's all good. Like most animes the manga is a lot better. The anime leaves out A LOT of information and plots in the manga (Lunar Legend Tsukihime) and would seem a little confusing. Like, you'd be wondering why someone was acting a certain way but they never reveal it, not like the manga. Never the less, this is a great anime and I recommend this for anyone who likes a combination of fighting, romance, and death. I rate this a 7/10. Also, they have many different games for this anime, one of them called Melty Blood Re Act.
ZeroEiyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2006, 12:24 AM   #11
tsugomaru
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to tsugomaru

I'm going to be watching Stellvia no Uchuu just because you rated it 10. I'm going to have to trust you on this one since you and I have the same taste in the anime we watch.

~Tsugomaru

PS - I'll review it once I'm done.
tsugomaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-3-2006, 02:04 AM   #12
Moogy
嗚呼
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to Moogy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeroEiyuu View Post
Shingetsutan Tsukihime
Like most animes the manga is a lot better. The anime leaves out A LOT of information and plots in the manga (Lunar Legend Tsukihime) and would seem a little confusing. Like, you'd be wondering why someone was acting a certain way but they never reveal it, not like the manga.
The manga is probably just as bad as the anime in this regard. I haven't read the manga, but it'd be a pointless exercise at this point, as the game has been translated. Skip both the manga and the anime and just play Tsukihime. The anime is decent by itself, but it's an absolutely terrible adaptation of the game. I assume the manga is the same way.

Remember, kids, the game is always better. Unless it's Air, but that's another story.
Old 12-4-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
Specforces
Yes
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces

This thread definitely needed to be stuck.
Old 12-4-2006, 03:22 PM   #14
Squeek
let it snow~
FFR Veteran

Who knew that spec liked anime?

Hmmmmm. I certainly didn't.
Old 12-4-2006, 05:29 PM   #15
MilfeulleSakuraba
Ryoko Shintani is #1!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeek View Post
The only reason I didn't recommend Negima is because the manga is infinitely better than either of the two animated series.
Disagree. I'll take Pani Poni Dash! Season 2 over plot any day.

One can find what I think about various things on my MyAnime page at ANN (including all my favorite characters from each series) but I suppose I can throw down a few recommendations in here.

Galaxy Angel (Comedy/Sci-Fi)

There is so little one can hold against this show it's scary. It honestly does everything it tries to do correctly. The humor is fantastic, the girls are attractive, the music is excellent and the voice casts are both stellar (one of the few great English dubs). The only thing this show doesn't have is the fanbase to show for all of that, which saddens me greatly. Fortunately, the fanbase it does have is quite possibly the most rabid fanbase to any anime in history - the franchise actually got its own official musical, an honor normally reserved for immensely popular prime-time shows. As far as I'm concerned, this is a must-watch, and don't let the first season get you down, because it doesn't quite live up to the hype the other three generate. The only people that should stay away are those who hold plot in the highest regards, because there is little-to-no episodic continuity (characters actually start dying in Season 3, but they will be perfectly fine the next episode).

Pani Poni Dash! (Comedy/School)

This is what happened when SHAFT took Galaxy Angel and crossed it with Azumanga Daioh, with some Family Guy sprinked on top. A surprisingly unique cast despite the presence of roughly 30 important characters (stark contrast to the likes of Negima, which has a tendency to ignore a lot of its girls). This show is riddled with homages, be they to pop culture, history, other anime, or a plethora of other subjects. If you've seen AzuDai you're almost obligated to watch this.

Pita-Ten (Romance/Comedy/Drama/Supernatural/Slice of Life)

This show will make you laugh, it will make you cry, it will make you seethe (mostly because of Hiroshi), it will make you "aww", and it will leave about 12 cavities in your teeth when you're done. Misha will make your head explode with adorability, and her magical stuff from Heaven adds a small Galaxy Angel-ish touch. Perhaps the most curious aspect of this show is that it slaps cat ears on the head of its main loli (bottom right in ANN's picture), for admittedly no other reason than because they're cute. I also give the corresponding manga the highest of recommendations, as Koge-Donbo demonstrates artistic and written genius within it. (Just don't go through both at the same time. >_>)

2x2 = Shinobuden/Ninja Nonsense (Comedy (noticing a pattern yet?)/Ninjas)

This show makes fun of everything, including itself. Onsakumaru is one of the greatest male characters of all time, serving his coverblob job perfectly (much to the constant chagrin of the perverted and/or erect viewer). Also cute girls. Also NINJAS. On a side note, the clay animation ending is really cute and the song is really catchy.

More to come later.
Old 12-5-2006, 05:11 PM   #16
Fusion4
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Fusion4

what, no love for excel saga?
Excel Saga - comedy/drama but mostly comedy [1,000,000,000,000,000]
decent length series about a girl named Excel working for an organization [ACROSS] to take over the world very slowly. much witty dialogue and hilarious voices, english just as good as japanese. probably the funniest thing you will ever see
Quote: "AHHHHHHH MY PANCREAS!!!" ~Puuchuu
Fusion4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-6-2006, 02:34 AM   #17
SethSquall
FFR Player

I only said CC because it was one of the first animes I saw that got me into anime. I used to come home everyday after school and watch it. That was a little before I realised I could download anime. When I did that was probably the first time I noticed the difference in subbed anime and dubbed anime.
Old 12-16-2006, 02:35 PM   #18
Specforces
Yes
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Specforces

I love anime, not many know that I do partake in such excellent types of media.
Old 12-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #19
Benny1
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Benny1

I don't watch much, but...

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya/Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuutsu (I think): I don't give a crap about your haruiism or anything. This is a good show, watch it.

Higurashi no Naku Koro ni: Psychological thriller + drama + nipah + USODA + incredibly touching story. Watch this.

Air: Okay, this isn't the best show ever. If you cannot stand sad scenes for the point of making you cry, do not watch this. If you can overlook that (it's not easy), this is a wonderful story of a man looking for a girl who flies in the sky, who gets much more than he bargained for. A wonderful story of love and effort.

Kanon 2006: The original's art is terrible. Disregard it. This also suffers from the same problems as the above show. However, again, it is a great story. Wonderful characters, they really are human.

Kaliedo Star: Just watch this. The first season is absolutely incredible. I've heard the second is not as good though.

FLCL: Obligatory.

Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan: Pure rofl, just watch it.

Elfen Lied: Sad, bloody, gory, violent, and ridicuously depressing, all in one. Watch it.

Haibane Renmei: Story of a town full of people with wings and halos. Very symbolic, powerful story. Great ost. It's very well worth a watch.
Old 12-17-2006, 07:54 AM   #20
SethSquall
FFR Player

I'll recommend Eureka Seven now too. It's been pretty fun to watch and I'm about 30 episodes in. Just about to watch S-Cry-Ed as well now. Looking forward to it.