Old 07-15-2020, 03:52 PM   #1141
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2020 albums halp

Day 760: Domingo by Chip Tanaka

I'm a waste. As of right now I'm a fucking NEET (that only partly changes in a month) living in my mom's dining room. I've burned bridges. I've missed countless opportunities. Some of those I wonder if they'll come back but they probably won't. Maybe it's for the best. Maybe I'm doing them a favor. I rely too much on the fun times to get me through the utter horror of daily life, and with COVID severely stymieing one of my main replacements for a personality, the utter void of nothingness that has become my daily life consumes me to an agonizing degree. I know that when remote classes come back in a few weeks this will not change, as I'm not a real academic, I'm a fraud and a failure. Was college a waste of time? Did I waste my money? Am I about to waste more? Paying this much for digital classes should be illegal. The thought of how far behind I feel, even if it doesn't match my age nor whatever else the fuck, brings insane existential agony. Hell, the return of my fake personality, that being going out to places that serve alcohol while trying to pretend to live "spontaneously" that only annoys people, won't cure me. Well, at least it'll make it less annoying to deal with knowing there's actually something to look forward to. I need to get the fuck out of MA. Whatever, man. I'm starting to come to accept that these feelings are just how life is.

Been a while since I reviewed something game related I believe, this guy has composed for Nintendo for over 3 decades now. As a diehard Nintendo fan I'm coming into this with two opposite expectations, either I love it to bits or simply appreciate it but think it sounds too "video game-y". Not all video game soundtracks are that for me, like I love every second of every Kyle Gabler game soundtrack but... IDK fuck off I can't think of the words.

Well, there's some real instrumentation in here I... think? Very sparingly at that, this is mostly chiptunes and MIDI. Both of my predictions were correct, but the ones I don't enjoy as much outnumber the ones I do. Those ones are BEAUTIFUL though, I'll probably return to those tracks only, plus the ones that felt a little more left-field in general.

On a random note, something about Tubeworm Dub I findly oddly hilarious.

Best Track: Guiding Light Dub, Calm Sea, A Song For Stars, and the last two will make up my playlist to return to
Rating: 5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 08:45 PM   #1142
rayword45

Day 761: Fist Me Til Your Hand Comes Out My Mouth by Crywank

Great album title. I enjoyed this a lot more than I expected, the opening part is amazing.

Best Track: The first 8 tracks
Rating: 8/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
Old 07-17-2020, 11:01 AM   #1143
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

https://idlesunder.bandcamp.com/album/psygnosis
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:14 PM   #1144
rayword45

Day 762: Legends Never Die by Juice WRLD

The fact that this dude died makes me go from uncaring to salty that my school lost the Tinder swipe off when he was the prize performer. Anyways, I've been in a super bad depressive funk for a week over someone that was probably doing me a favor when they told me I'm too good for them and I was hoping this music would help me, knowing how I stereotyped it before he died.

It didn't help. Nothing will help.

Best Track: Tell Me U Luv Me
Rating: 4/10

Old 07-24-2020, 02:08 PM   #1145
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

I liked "climbing towards a wall" by Ulla
Old 08-7-2020, 12:43 AM   #1146
rayword45

Day 763: The Microphones in 2020 by The Microphones

My emotions right now are very very confusing and I don't know what the fuck to put here because I'd rather just smoke weed and feel sorry AND ecstatic for myself.

This is a better album for that kinda conflicting mood than A Crow Looked At Me would've been. There's a sense of longing in this single piece, but it's definitely more nostalgic and introspective as opposed to outright "holy fuck this is so depressing what is the meaning of life?". I like the pacing, I like the vocals and lyrics, this is good shit.

Best Track: It's one 45 minute song.

Old 08-7-2020, 09:58 AM   #1147
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

"tumbling towards a wall"* jeez I had one job
Old 08-8-2020, 06:38 AM   #1148
Wiosna
for you, eternally
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by choof View Post
did you ever listen to everywhere at the end of time
Only Stages 3 and 6:
Quote:
Day 413: Everywhere At The End Of Everything, Part 3 by The Caretaker

So this is apparently some of the best ambient of the year. I'm doing this three-part series of albums in scattered backwards order because

1. This one has the best ratings
2. Part one is from 2016
3. Fuck you

This was rather different from what I was expecting, based on my preconceptions of what constitutes "ambient" and "turntablism". This consists mostly of piano playing chopped up, swirled around and run through filters to make it sound wax cylinder lo-fi. Not the atmosphere I tend to go for when searching for either of those genres, but it's not bad!

Apparently, this is supposed to sound like dementia. I definitely read that some time ago on RYM but I had forgotten it until I was about halfway through the album. With that context in mind... the hell? If anything that just makes it seem more kitsch with all the 1910s ballroom atmosphere. This predated Bojack Horseman season 4 but that felt like a better, more tasteful portrayal of dementia than this. And you guys should KNOW I'm a sucker for context (A Crow Looked At Me is a case where the depressing backstory worked except this one isn't nearly as "What the Jesus fuck..." tragic).

As one long piece this is rather enjoyable, yet oddly enough the tracks are mostly very same-y. Different chords and everything yeah but the mood and minimalism here is oppressive, though not necessarily in a bad way. It's also now dawning on me why I should listen to this in order... Nah fuck you.

Anyways, solid enough although the horn-y (hurrhurrhurrhurr) mood gets old after a while and it's hard to pick a best track. I'll listen to the others parts eventually, maybe. This gimmick is still trash, though.

Best Track: Gradiation of Arms Length or Mournful Cameraderie
Rating: 6/10
Quote:
Day 619: Everywhere at the End of Time - Stage 6 by The Caretaker (Album Choice: choof)

Did I review one of these earlier? Lemme check.

I did. It was the third one. Either way, go read up on the story behind these albums if you want, but I'm jumping straight into the most recent part because 2019, and because I want to see how it holds without the context.

I barely remember what the other one sounded like, but I do remember how it had far more tracks, with this one only having 4 pieces. And compared to the more obviously sample-based work displayed on that earlier album, this one is far more minimalist and seemingly focused on soundscapes, or really just, like, static. The final track is absolutely gorgeous, but with the other ones I get the sense I really should've listened to this whole project lol

Oh well, one day I will listen to the whole thing as intended. For now, ehh

Best Track: Place In The World Fades Away
Rating: 6/10
I'd still suggest listening to Stage 5 over any of the other stages if you're planning on reviewing just one stage.
Wiosna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:49 AM   #1149
I like it
Housekeeper
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

listen to that new sable valley
I like it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:09 AM   #1150
rayword45

Day 764: Tumbling Towards A Wall by Ulla (Album Choice: robertsona)

Ambient music is probably a wack choice for waiting music as I await this rapid COVID test that cost me $160. I am not getting a fucking covid test every damn time I see my girlfriend, I am really hating my current living situation and need to move out ASAP.

This album has a good amount of variety amongst its relatively few tracks, no two songs sound too much alike. This album is quite backloaded, I wasn't into a bunch of the starting songs but it ends very nicely.

Best Track: Smile (better than the Gothic Archies song with this title)
Rating: 7/10

Old 08-20-2020, 07:12 AM   #1151
themastergrant
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Check out God, forgive these bastards by The Taxpayers. It’s not Christian even though it has the word god in the album title.
Old 08-24-2020, 10:45 PM   #1152
rayword45

Day 765: What's Your Pleasure? by Jessie Ware

I saw this high on the RYM charts and thought "nu-disco? I love nu-disco!" and this album is pretty good. Nothing outstanding and a bit too long but the production is pretty fucking gorgeous and there's no real obvious clunkers. I wish I could've lived through the 80s instead of the current hellworld. Then again, back then things were definitely more racist and homophobic. Whatever, good album. Will return several times this year and decide if I love it more or less than I do right now. Thanks /mu/-kiddies, you did me right this time unlike most of the time.

Best Track: The Kill

Old 09-9-2020, 02:36 AM   #1153
rayword45

Day 766: Telas by Nicolas Jaar

Two albums by the same guy in one year! Also, I'm turning 23 on Sunday and they just cancelled Venture Bros, two reasons why this week fucking SUCKS.

This album sounds... very similar to the last one I heard from this guy. It's pleasant enough to me, nothing really sticks out, I'm honestly kinda bored, the end.

Best Track: meh
Rating: 5.5/10

Old 09-11-2020, 12:10 PM   #1154
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

thanks for listening to ulla, it's a cool alb
Old 09-15-2020, 11:52 AM   #1155
Deadlyx39
FFR Player

Oh yeah the S&M2 album finally got released. No more bootleg YouTube videos needed for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Blaster View Post
Why should I care about this thread
Quote:
whats in it for me
Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz13114 View Post
Fun times and meme sluts
Quote:
ew meme sluts
ew fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
do you realize how asinine all of your posts are
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinaciousGrace View Post
i would also like to take this opportunity to shout out deadlyx39

on the one hand i feel as though your absence from these forums is a shelled victory for all ffr forumites however after careful examination of my internal feeling apparatus i have come to the conclusion that i do in fact miss your posts

[...]

come back

i need to laugh at you

once more

Deadlyx39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-2-2020, 12:06 AM   #1156
rayword45

Day 767: Ohms by Deftones

Damn it's been nearly a month since I've done one of these, last time I did one I was 22 and now I'm 23! I also still have nothing interesting to say about anything I listen to. This has never really been my kind of band, but the acclaim they get from random internet circles and from a lot of people I know like several roommates I've had made me want to check this out, further by the hype this album is getting.

And I can't lie, this album is really well-done. There are remarkably few moments I'd call boring or bad, and when this album is at its peak, it's brimming with life and energy. I might actually return to this, and for something that sounds like this, from a band where the strongest reaction I can remember at all is a resounding "this is kinda cool" I'd say that's an accomplishment.

Best Track: This Link Is Dead
Rating: 7/10

Old 10-2-2020, 01:42 AM   #1157
rayword45

Day 768: Ultimate Success Today by Protomartyr

Insert text here

Best Track: fuck you it's 3AM I'm bored of doing R homework and doing this by now
Rating: 5/10

Old 10-11-2020, 09:52 PM   #1158
robertsona
missa in h-moll
FFR Simfile Author

Godcaster - Long Haired Locusts
Old 10-12-2020, 02:05 PM   #1159
WildZapdos
FFR Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
Day 743: How I'm Feeling Now by Charli XCX

Ahh.... Fuck. Great. Now I'm a hipster whiteboy. Just kill me.
haha sweeet
WildZapdos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #1160
WildZapdos
FFR Player

obviously i'm gonna suggest nectar, you should also do magic oneohtrix point never when that comes out but both of those are fairly obvious
WildZapdos is offline   Reply With Quote