Old 03-29-2020, 06:29 PM   #1
qrrbrbirbel
FFR Veteran
idiot
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default RevAmped Introduction Thread

Hello tippers and tappers all!

I'd like to introduce a project that has been on my mind and on others for a couple years now.
This project, tentatively dubbed 'RevAmped', is aimed at bringing a modernized dose of nostalgia and opening up more possibilities to the VSRG community.
Firstly, let me preface by saying this is not FFR2: The Sequel v2.2 {2econd Coming Remix}.
Our goal is to aim for a middle spot between FFR's strictness and Etterna's freedom; to provide a good structure to the game's goals, but still allow a fair amount of customization.

{The site} - Spearheading the project as Lead Stepman is FFR's very own Opkiller. Op is currently pouring his time into brushing up on modern coding, and has already started the front page and login mechanics.
Our goal is to have an easy to use, interactive, and customizeable website tailored towards the current VSRG meta.
We want to provide current rhythm news, upgraded leaderboards, tournament systems and settings that allow anyone to run them with ease, as well as other options by a collective think-tank of grizzled veterans to the scene.
Both Op and myself are currently funding this out of our own pockets, and want a level of polish that supercedes past limitations.
This brings me to the game developing area of the project.

{The game} - With Flash dying and technology readily available to replace it, now is the perfect time for a rinse of hinderance past.
we have someone in sight who's very motivated, and will be waiting for the basics to be done before looking to expand the dev team on both the website and engine.

Some basic goals include, but are not limited to:
Stable sim conversion, customizeable game elements (like noteskins, but applied to judgement text, receptor flashing, AVATARS!!!, etc.), stable FPS support, resolution and graphics options, and many more.

Probably the biggest change you will notice will be our stance on music permissions.
While I highly respect the dedication and candor shown to budding and professional artists, we have been partially left in the dust as a result.
Notifying artists when available will be the only requirement for submitting and creating charts for this engine.
In various other community-run rhythm games, most artists only see that their music is in game after the fact.
Even then, by that time the song has become so popular as to pop up on their radar that it is viewed as free advertising.
Should we receive any legal demands to remove songs, however, they will be swiftly heeded.

So dust off those songs you were disheartened to upload because of small stipulations and get ready for a swath of new content.

{The community} - We all know the VSRG community can be a little......clickey (excuse the pun).
In order to mitigate that, we want to create events and incentives that bring us closer.
Got a rival you want to show up? Set a user as such and see real-time stat comparisons on your profile
Have an idea for a tournament/contest but don't want to deal with the downfalls of the honor system? Create tournament settings that are connected to all users that joined in Tournament Mode.
Want to code an interactive page for a community game? Run it by us, and if we've got the resources we'll make it happen.
Got a design or idea for some merch? If it's awesome we'll put it in rotation for our store (which will have all profits going to the game and website)
These are just a few of the ideas we've come up with in the last couple months, with many more to come as you give your input for the VSRG you want to see.

I will say before I end this un/official announcement, that I'm no computer wiz and some of these may not be possible.
I do wish to provide everyone with as much as I can, so the more the word gets out the better our chances of seeing features like this becoming a reality.

Hit us up on our discord https://discord.gg/FMn8R9c and let's get RevAmped!

Last edited by qrrbrbirbel; 03-30-2020 at 08:57 AM..
qrrbrbirbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #2
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: RevAmped Introduction Thread

Qrr described it pretty well so I'll just fill in some info~

Since the project is still new, there's a lot of work to do and I plan on leading the whole website dev stuff while our other dev will work on the game engine.
That being said, if you ever want to participate or help, you can either DM or simply come lurk in the project's discord that Qrr linked. For technical work, I will most likely be looking for an artist for things such as the logo and some stuff here and there on the website to make it pretty (paid work)~

I want to also emphasize the fact that our goal is to aim for a sweet spot between FFR and Etterna. I love FFR's community and will be doing my best to make the website as friendly as possible.
On that note, I'll see y'all in the project's discord, or later when this grows to something significant hehe ^^
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:32 AM   #3
revolutionomega
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to revolutionomega Send a message via MSN to revolutionomega

This sounds super dope! Can't wait to check it out. Unfortunately I have 0 ability when it comes to coding/art but will definitely join the discord and am excited to have another outlet to play when I can.

I like the rival-code type function similar to DDR A20 and maybe having a BOX style bracket tournament could be interesting versus the current "everyone submit your best score" to vary skillsets and such a bit more.

Anyways, seems dope. I'm in for the ride.
Old 03-30-2020, 02:27 PM   #4
XelNya
[Nobody liked that.]

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrrbrbirbel View Post
Hello tippers and tappers all!

I'd like to introduce a project that has been on my mind and on others for a couple years now.
This project, tentatively dubbed 'RevAmped', is aimed at bringing a modernized dose of nostalgia and opening up more possibilities to the VSRG community.
Firstly, let me preface by saying this is not FFR2: The Sequel v2.2 {2econd Coming Remix}.
Our goal is to aim for a middle spot between FFR's strictness and Etterna's freedom; to provide a good structure to the game's goals, but still allow a fair amount of customization.

{The site} - Spearheading the project as Lead Stepman is FFR's very own Opkiller. Op is currently pouring his time into brushing up on modern coding, and has already started the front page and login mechanics.
Our goal is to have an easy to use, interactive, and customizeable website tailored towards the current VSRG meta.
We want to provide current rhythm news, upgraded leaderboards, tournament systems and settings that allow anyone to run them with ease, as well as other options by a collective think-tank of grizzled veterans to the scene.
Both Op and myself are currently funding this out of our own pockets, and want a level of polish that supercedes past limitations.
This brings me to the game developing area of the project.

{The game} - With Flash dying and technology readily available to replace it, now is the perfect time for a rinse of hinderance past.
we have someone in sight who's very motivated, and will be waiting for the basics to be done before looking to expand the dev team on both the website and engine.

Some basic goals include, but are not limited to:
Stable sim conversion, customizeable game elements (like noteskins, but applied to judgement text, receptor flashing, AVATARS!!!, etc.), stable FPS support, resolution and graphics options, and many more.

Probably the biggest change you will notice will be our stance on music permissions.
While I highly respect the dedication and candor shown to budding and professional artists, we have been partially left in the dust as a result.
Notifying artists when available will be the only requirement for submitting and creating charts for this engine.
In various other community-run rhythm games, most artists only see that their music is in game after the fact.
Even then, by that time the song has become so popular as to pop up on their radar that it is viewed as free advertising.
Should we receive any legal demands to remove songs, however, they will be swiftly heeded.

So dust off those songs you were disheartened to upload because of small stipulations and get ready for a swath of new content.

{The community} - We all know the VSRG community can be a little......clickey (excuse the pun).
In order to mitigate that, we want to create events and incentives that bring us closer.
Got a rival you want to show up? Set a user as such and see real-time stat comparisons on your profile
Have an idea for a tournament/contest but don't want to deal with the downfalls of the honor system? Create tournament settings that are connected to all users that joined in Tournament Mode.
Want to code an interactive page for a community game? Run it by us, and if we've got the resources we'll make it happen.
Got a design or idea for some merch? If it's awesome we'll put it in rotation for our store (which will have all profits going to the game and website)
These are just a few of the ideas we've come up with in the last couple months, with many more to come as you give your input for the VSRG you want to see.

I will say before I end this un/official announcement, that I'm no computer wiz and some of these may not be possible.
I do wish to provide everyone with as much as I can, so the more the word gets out the better our chances of seeing features like this becoming a reality.

Hit us up on our discord https://discord.gg/FMn8R9c and let's get RevAmped!
Your stance on music permissions is pretty goddamn terrible, and it’s impeccably disrespectful, and no amount of preemptive language to the contrary changes that.

Also I’m going to be that guy: the time spent on this would be better suited to taking something that currently exists and expanding on it. There is no need to make a middle ground to FFR and Etterna, Etterna is a better product than both what you are aiming for, and most modern rhythm games as a whole.

I’d be glad to play it when it is done though to see if I am wrong.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 04:41 PM   #5
xXOpkillerXx
Forever OP
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
Your stance on music permissions is pretty goddamn terrible, and it’s impeccably disrespectful, and no amount of preemptive language to the contrary changes that.

Also I’m going to be that guy: the time spent on this would be better suited to taking something that currently exists and expanding on it. There is no need to make a middle ground to FFR and Etterna, Etterna is a better product than both what you are aiming for, and most modern rhythm games as a whole.

I’d be glad to play it when it is done though to see if I am wrong.
To each their own eh To me this project is not only a chance at attempting to show my ideals of a rhythm game, but first and foremost it's a really cool project to learn from.

As for the permissions stance; mine is totally subject to change during the development of this project.That being said however, you describe Etterna as pretty much the superior VSRG but I believe it's the less strict in terms of permissions ? So I must admit I'm a bit confused as to what you meant there.

Finally, although I suppose it's in my best interest to convince you and other people that my game will not be pointless, your statement that "there is no need (for this)" is purely subjective in terms of what that *need* even means. For that reason, I probably can't quite prove you wrong.

In any case, I do like to invite people to the discord to follow the experience if that's something they like; to see the good and bad moves I make. ^^

Last edited by xXOpkillerXx; 03-30-2020 at 04:44 PM..
xXOpkillerXx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:27 PM   #6
qrrbrbirbel
FFR Veteran
idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
To each their own eh To me this project is not only a chance at attempting to show my ideals of a rhythm game, but first and foremost it's a really cool project to learn from.

As for the permissions stance; mine is totally subject to change during the development of this project.That being said however, you describe Etterna as pretty much the superior VSRG but I believe it's the less strict in terms of permissions ? So I must admit I'm a bit confused as to what you meant there.

Finally, although I suppose it's in my best interest to convince you and other people that my game will not be pointless, your statement that "there is no need (for this)" is purely subjective in terms of what that *need* even means. For that reason, I probably can't quite prove you wrong.

In any case, I do like to invite people to the discord to follow the experience if that's something they like; to see the good and bad moves I make. ^^
I'd like to also add that we are remaining non-profit as I don't think I stated that very clearly.