Old 03-22-2020, 03:12 AM   #1081
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2020 albums halp

Day 724: After Hours by The Weeknd

I'm sure somewhere in this longass thread I've mentioned before that I hate this guy's music, but everyone online has been fapping over this album and the sex they imagine they'll have to it, so I felt obligated to give it a shot. With that in mind, this is obviously going to be VERY biased, but I'm making that clear now. Dude did a good job playing a douchebag in Uncut Gems though, which was my favorite of the 4 or 5 movies I saw in 2019.

Yeah, for the most part, this album exemplifies why this guy just doesn't work for me. Granted, I can recognize effort was put into this, and a LOT of it at that, but... yech. His falsetto isn't bad, but it does get repetitive. What is bad are the lyrics, and boy a lot of them are BAD... Or maybe they're not and I'm just biased? Google them yourself to tell me if I am or not!

I think what it really is is just how lowbrow some of the lyrics seem for the softer, Drake-mopey ballads here, and those ballads make up the majority of the album! The production there doesn't keep me interested and also gets repetitive, and all in all this album just makes me think of the sweatiest, smelliest, most unappealing sex ever. It's nowhere near as bad as Aubrey Graham's Grooming Parlor! I want to be clear on that, but this just very much isn't my cup of tea.

And as for the non-ballads... I actually like some of these! I wasn't expecting that, but shit reminds me of the darkwave clubs I went to in NYC, even if only vaguely. Those songs are upbeat, fun, and dancy. The lyrics still get kinda gross on occasion but they somehow bother me far less. Too bad they make up, like, a quarter of all the tracks here.

All in all... I feel like I'm going to have to give this a 3rd or 4th listen. Maybe the ballads will grow on me? Maybe I'll realize I don't like the upbeat tracks as much as I did?

Ahh who gives a fuck I'm rating this based on 1st and 2nd impression. Maybe I'll change my score down the line.

Maybe not nobody reads this shit who gives a fuck. Give me all the coronavirus.

Best Track: In Your Eyes
Rating: 4/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 03-22-2020 at 03:12 AM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 04:54 PM   #1082
rayword45

Day 725: A Written Testimomy by Jay Electronica

I remember when Exhibit C came out. I was in the 6th grade.

Okay that's a lie. What I DO actually remember is when my friend showed me that song on the bus home in the fall of 2010, my first year of six in hell school. I was cringily enough one of those "le wrong generation" kids but back then I had to admit it was a good track.

Fastforward 9 years and I see this dude is playing in Boston. I ended up seeing SOB X RBE instead because... I don't remember I was drunk. But I do remember wondering what the fuck he was gonna perform, considering he all but dropped off the face of the earth after that 2009 track. I still like it a lot, by the way, but who doesn't?

As for this album? It's pretty good, minus the anti-semitism... That's a bad sentence but hey I've reviewed Burzum and Johnny Rebel since others told me to. Is it worth the 11 year wait? For me, I wasn't really waiting or even expecting this to come out, but I must imagine no, it isn't.

Some tracks just flat-out don't work, unfortunately those tending to be the ones with the more experimental beats, and why is there an intro on a 10 track album? But of the 9 other tracks, I enjoyed a majority, the softer ones locking me in with the themes of introspection and the more bombastic ones being a burst of confidence that is more than welcome, since those softer ones tend to be longer such as the two final AND longest tracks.

Not a knock on the album, but it's funny that I enjoyed Jay-Z's performances more than the artist himself.

Best Track: Universal Soldier
Rating: 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
Old 03-22-2020, 10:50 PM   #1083
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

I might have recommended this years ago but I recently got a physical copy of Hundred Waters - The Moon Rang Like A Bell and it reminded me it was a good album

If you are looking specifically for 2020 stuff local Pensacola band Storm Within just released their first album and it's pretty decent. Here's their first single and looks like most of the songs are on YouTube now

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2020, 10:59 PM   #1084
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar
Default Re: 365 Reviews Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
Day 369: Becoming X by Sneaker Pimps (Album Choice: MixMasterLar)

I remember playing Spin Spin Sugar (Armand's Dark Garage Mix) in DDR Extreme 2 when I was 8. I didn't like the song much back then, but I appreciated it a lot more somewhere in my mid-teens.

This album shifts between sounding like sweet candy sex and obnoxious candy trip hop genericness, and usually within the same song multiple times. That's completely the fault of the vocals. The instrumentals are great across the board, with beats simultaneously catchy and chill and psychedelia galore.

I just wish the singer didn't sound kinda like a teenager half the time.|

Best Track: Post-Modern Sleaze
This defense is years late but

UH UHHH NO SHE DON'T

...she kinda does but that isn't a dealbreaker

Old 03-23-2020, 05:43 PM   #1085
rayword45

Default Re: 365 Reviews Done

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
This defense is years late but

UH UHHH NO SHE DON'T

...she kinda does but that isn't a dealbreaker
fyi ive since upped this to a 10/10 lol

I still hate Waterbaby tho

Old 03-24-2020, 02:06 AM   #1086
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

It's legit better every time I pop it in. I wish we had gotten a second album on par

Old 03-29-2020, 01:57 AM   #1087
rayword45

Day 726: Future Nostalgia by Dua Lipa

This is currently RYM's top electronic album. The subgenres listed are similar to that of Skylar Spence's Prom King, or at least the primary ones are, but the mood and messages of this album reminds me more of Cuz I Love You more than anything, except whiter. I love both of the albums I just listed, do I love this?

No, I can't say I do. But this is pretty well-crafted stuff for the most part, and the performance oozes confidence. A lot of people I know call Lizzo corny, but that's nothing compared to a lot of the slow ballads here, including the closer which has some of the most overwrought production I've ever heard, and a small portion of the more I Will Survive-vibe songs. That may be the point? I do get a tongue-in-cheek vibe from a lot of this album, but it only bothers me on a handful of cuts here, and all of the bouncier songs are great fun! I wouldn't say anything here is really super original or revelatory, in fact it really relies on retro throwbacks, but pure personal enjoyment comes first! And this is mostly pretty decent, the last two songs easily being the worst.

Best Track: Don't Start Now
Rating: 7.5/10

Old 03-29-2020, 02:57 AM   #1088
rayword45

Day 727: Obscura by Shye

This is a somewhat folk-influenced ambient album. I have absolutely NOTHING worthwhile to say except that I enjoyed it but again, didn't love it, but also acknowledge that this is going to require a few more listens to decide whether I like it more, less or the same as the first two listens. If anything, it's pretty, works as study music and works as "what the fuck it's 3:57AM why am I awake" music.

Remind me to update this score!

Best Track: The final one

Old 04-2-2020, 01:04 AM   #1089
rayword45

Day 728: 3.15.20 by Childish Gambino

Even though I never reviewed Awaken, My Love and never will, I'm familiar enough with it to tell you that I do think it's the best musical project this dude has done, but that's saying just about nothing.

And this is now overtaking that as the best musical project he's done, by virtue of not containing Redbone! Also the songwriting is a lot more mature than the shitty albums before it minus AAL, though most of these songs get annoying it's never as cringy as Camp. The production is... not very good. Mixing is weird. Vocal performances annoy me. Goddamnit Donald why can't you just quit music for good and give us 10 seasons of Atlanta and bring back DerrickComedy?

Best Gambino project for sure!

Best Track: 12.38

Old 04-5-2020, 11:32 PM   #1090
rayword45

Day 729: Color Theory by Soccer Mommy

This album had the worst advertisement I've ever seen in my life. Google it if you must. I still really like her early lo-fi underwater bedroom recordings that nobody else gives a shit about, but I haven't listened to Clean since it came out. This album immediately strikes me as more consistent than that one, but I'm not sure if that's to the album's benefit or detriment. This stuff really does get same-y. That being said, I don't dislike any of these songs, and at least half of it is really good!

Whatever. Better than Snail Mail.

Best Track: Up The Walls
Rating: 7.5/10

Old 04-6-2020, 01:39 AM   #1091
rayword45

Day 730: Ghosts VI by Nine Inch Nails

There was a Ghosts V? When the fuck did that happen?

"Two-year" mark has been reached! Aaaand... there's legitimately nothing interesting I can say here because there's nothing interesting about this album. Some of it is pleasant enough, but a lot is plain corny and in general I feel like this album was a massive waste of time. Anti-climactic compared to my Elseq review... but fuck it, this is all I'm giving for that two year hoorah. Sorry guys, maybe #800 will be better.

Best Track: I can't tell you

Old 04-6-2020, 01:47 PM   #1092
Jayden1234
Banned
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
There was a Ghosts V? When the fuck did that happen?
Ghosts V was released simultaneously with VI. I'm not really sure how you got your hands on VI while missing V. It's better, albeit only marginally, and if you slept through VI then engaging in V probably won't yield better results. It's a little shorter but it is still self-indulgently bloated in classic Trent Reznor style.
Jayden1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-6-2020, 02:04 PM   #1093
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

The newest Igorrr has been out for 2 months yet it is not reviewed..................

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-6-2020, 02:28 PM   #1094
rayword45

Quote:
Originally Posted by aperson View Post
The newest Igorrr has been out for 2 months yet it is not reviewed..................
workin on it

Old 04-7-2020, 02:21 PM   #1095
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayden1234 View Post
Ghosts V was released simultaneously with VI..
How

Who

Why?

Last edited by MixMasterLar; 04-7-2020 at 02:21 PM..
Old 04-13-2020, 08:01 PM   #1096
rayword45

Day 731: Spirituality and Distortion by Igorrr (Album Choice: aperson)

The really weird tracks here are all good fun. The ones that are more typical Igorrr style mixing of breakcore and metal are hit-or-miss. In general the ones that are heavier on the breakcore are better, but that's not a guarantee. Whatever, I've listened to this like 4 times now and have nothing useful to say. If you'll like this album you probably know so.

Best Track: Camel Dancefloor
Rating: 5/10

Old 04-14-2020, 11:46 PM   #1097
rayword45

Day 732: Kiss My Super Bowl Ring by The Garden

I've never listened to these guys, but I know my roommate loves them. Or at least likes them. If I recall correctly he has one of their shirts.

This stuff... well, it's certainly not unoriginal. All of the genres they go through are stuff that I've heard done better before, but it's the combination of such that makes it unique! Unique =! good however, and this is middling at best to me. Some tracks are enjoyable, a lot of this is just plain annoying. I can always admire the passion in every single track, despite not being able to tell if this is sincere or ironic, and I think that's a good thing. That admiration doesn't always match with enjoyment, unfortunately.

That review told absolutely NOTHING about what the album sounds like, because this is hard to describe. I'll at least say it isn't nearly as horrible as 1000 gecs

Best Track: Lurkin
Rating: 5/10

Old 04-17-2020, 11:06 PM   #1098
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

lets be honest youre obsessed with the gecs
dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 01:13 PM   #1099
rayword45

obsessed with how bad they are yeah

people roast on me all the time for thinkin they suck and say "youre gonna be left behind by the industry boomer"

i should add i tried to listen to their FishCenter performance it was just as awful and i wanna see if theyre as awful at eforest

Old 04-19-2020, 07:37 PM   #1100
dAnceguy117
new hand moves = dab
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

dAnceguy117 is offline   Reply With Quote