Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files

Old 03-27-2020, 01:00 AM   #1
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar
Default I'm dogsh*t at syncing: Tips on finding proper BPMs?

So I've been trying to sync two files for a pack the last few days and they are both pretty tall orders--one seems to ether cut a measure in half or just change signatures halfway through and the other is a 5 minute mashup of songs each going their own speed and apparently not even doing that as consistent as I would have wanted to see

I've seen the community do some crazy shit with files so I have to ask: what are the tips on nailing down the offset and sync of trickier songs that are not consistent throughout the entire MP3? All I know how to do is just manually try numbers until it works but there's gotta be a better way, right?

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 05:48 AM   #2
storn42
RIP Storn D0-D0
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Default Re: I'm dogsh*t at syncing: Tips on finding proper BPMs?

For the time signature changes, the best thing to do is to change the bpm to keep 4ths on the down beat (im sure you know this). The change in bpm depends on when you move the bpm from. You can either use the waveform to line up the beats or use big brain math, but it usually tends to be some sort of easy 2x, 3x bpm. Bloody mary kate and ashley for example was colored by hand. It was all simple enough to map out. (2x bpm when ever a beat was skipped) its not always easy numbers, but there should always be a logical mathmatical relationship between the 2 bpms when beats are dropped.

For songs with multiple bpms i find AV 's auto bpm to be useful. It can usually find multiple bpms in a song so while it may try to give you 1 constant bpm for the whole song, it tends to atleast be in the ballpark for other bpms to try when you encounter a bpm change. Though honestly, as someone who mapps in AV, i find it quite easy to manually figure out bpms. Listening to the bpm ticks can also make it easier to sync. The last is advise i can give you is to look up/find the bpms for the songs in the mashup individually. Syncing might be annoying, but it should be easier to sync If you know thr bpm going into it.

For songs with variable bpms(not bpm changes), i dont think there is an easy way.the only thing you can really do is try and find the most consistant bpm of the song then manually move the beats back in line. AV once again usually gives a good idea of the average bpm of the song, but nothing can stop you from having to manually fix beats.

Honestly, bpm stopped being an issue for me when i started using AV. It just made life a lot easier. Hope this helped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
"I think storn is town but he doesn't have a shirt on" - Roundbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
I have beat my meat to storn's posts no less than four times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe View Post

storn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2020, 02:59 PM   #3
DossarLX ODI
Batch Manager
Game Manager, Song Release Coordinator
Game ManagerSimfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

For drifty songs, you're best off using a program that shows the waveforms of the audio file. DDReam and Arrow Vortex come to mind.

The problem with manual syncing is that even if you slow down the music rate and put on stricter timing windows, there's still room for considerable error and offsets are subjective.
DossarLX ODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 11:14 PM   #4
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Thanks for the replies fellas. I didnt think about AV showing waveforms so imma try that for sure. I guess by default its off? In the kitchen atm but will check in a bit

Wish me luck!

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter

MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 01:16 AM   #5
storn42
RIP Storn D0-D0
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixMasterLar View Post
Thanks for the replies fellas. I didnt think about AV showing waveforms so imma try that for sure. I guess by default its off? In the kitchen atm but will check in a bit

Wish me luck!
idk if its off, but you need to make sure your on Cmod and not Xmod otherwise it wont matter if you have it on or off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
"I think storn is town but he doesn't have a shirt on" - Roundbox
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
I have beat my meat to storn's posts no less than four times

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadoWolfe View Post

storn42 is offline   Reply With Quote