Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files

Old 04-22-2019, 08:44 AM   #41
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Autotelic Files and Packs - General Information

For Roygbivs I'll likely write a short review (maybe with some examples making a separate diff) which you can use as reference to submit changes before I actually put my hands on modifying the file.
I'll try to write the review within the next two weeks but it might take much longer for me to make edits directly as the order in which I pick charts to work on is almost random (and I currently have quite a few active wips).

No need to worry about gfx as I'm making those myself, but if you do want to include one of your making it'll be subject to my review as well.
You can check some of the gfx sets I posted in this thread (e.g., this, and this) for a reference of what to expect in terms of quality.

You can send the CDTitle whenever. I'll be worrying about that and other small things such as metadata and preview points later when the corresponding pack is close to finished.

Last edited by AutotelicBrown; 04-22-2019 at 05:16 PM..
AutotelicBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:35 PM   #42
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon

Just a heads up as I didn't post any update. I'm currently very busy finishing some work but should pick this up again when I'm done around mid-June.

Thanks for your patience and stay tuned!

Last edited by AutotelicBrown; 05-31-2019 at 05:35 PM..
Old 06-1-2019, 12:34 PM   #43
StarrySergal
FFR Player

did i even sent the cdtitle? i forgot lol
Also np, i was about to bump this thread to ask for the review tho but i would dont like to make you feel rushed or something, i can wait :3
I could also do the gfx if you give me specific elements (a template so i can do it in the same format as your gfx or something else)

StarrySergal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-5-2019, 06:29 AM   #44
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon

You haven't sent the cdtitle yet.

The gfx sets don't follow a particular template other than resolution (banner 1024x320, bg 1920x1080) and including track & artist name in both. Thematic relevance is up to your own interpretation for your own file, my only restriction is having the overall quality in line with the rest of the pack.

That being said, I have no problem coming up with the gfx myself assuming you have no issue with the sets I have made so far (see spreadsheet).
Old 06-7-2019, 04:53 PM   #45
StarrySergal
FFR Player

I still need to see the spreadsheet
Btw, what do you mean by "Having overall quality" sorry i got kinda comfused lol sorry bad english

Old 06-7-2019, 10:21 PM   #46
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySergal View Post
I still need to see the spreadsheet
Btw, what do you mean by "Having overall quality" sorry i got kinda comfused lol sorry bad english
it means "make sure your graphics aren't terrible compared to the rest of the graphics in the pack"
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-8-2019, 12:40 PM   #47
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinglesberry View Post
it means "make sure your graphics aren't terrible compared to the rest of the graphics in the pack"
And don't make mine look terrible in comparison either

But yeah, I just mean they should be at least "good enough" and that the definition of "good enough" is based on the graphics I already have.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:15 AM   #48
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon

Alright, I reviewed Roygbiv: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/b0yy62dje...cV75TCfxa?dl=0

Link is my working folder which has a .txt with the review and the updated .sm with the diff I made to accompany the review. Just in case I'll write down the review here too:

Up to 23s you only have to make sure the PR is correct. There are various ways to approach the PR in the section, the important part is making sure you are consistent and only adding exceptions for a good reason.
My added diff has 'exact' PR except for:
- 0.240 & 2.382 are lower than 1.490 & 2.025 but I use column 2 to put more emphasis in the even lower note on 4.524
- 7.023 is higher than 5.952 & 7.202 but I use column 2 to differentiate from 4.167 & 7.737
- 7.023 & 8.808 are the same note but I move the latter to column 3 to transition properly into next repetition
- Afterwards is repetition or exact PR

From 23.088 to 34.513 (and pretty much the entire chart), your layering choice for the percussion interacts pretty poorly with the other stuff going on. Considering it repeats everywhere, I recommend only focusing on the bass/kicks marking the rhythm.
I think it's good to include the 16th at the end at each measure, though that can be overlooked if you want to make the chart easier.
Also make sure the patterning is coherent with the previous section, your patterning seems pretty generic based on the local layering.

From 31:657 to 32.906 (and repetitions), there is no need to add mini freezes as the change to 12ths already does the job of accenting the different sound. Additionally, the patterning should be consistent at each repetition and reflect the repeating triplets somehow (e.g., in my diff I used minitrills). I also recommend using jumps only on the heavier parts of the song to give you more flexibility.

At 42.278 and similar sounds, it's very confusing to add that note without the following 32nd at 42.322. This even worse with an 8th right before as it suggests the 16th is linked to it.

You should be very careful layering the piano on 45.953 onwards as most of its notes aren't very clear and will make things confusing for the player if included.

Lastly, the section from 68.785 to 91.634 should make a stronger point reflecting the reduced intensity. In my diff I used longer freezes to give a distinct feeling from the rest of the chart and also give you another idea of how you can approach the layering. Considering how repetitive the song already is, it's very important to make the most out of anything available.

Rest of the chart is mostly repetition, but you should reflect the fade out by gradually reducing the layering until the end.

My diff still has ways to go, but it should be enough to illustrate my points.
Old 07-12-2019, 06:16 PM   #49
StarrySergal
FFR Player

i...i dont know what PR is

Old 07-12-2019, 06:40 PM   #50
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon

PR stands for pitch relevancy, laying out notes according to pitch similar to a piano (higher notes to the right and lower notes to the left).
Old 07-12-2019, 06:42 PM   #51
StarrySergal
FFR Player

heyy that burst @ 54.683 was intentional or something? i think thats kinda unnecesary :/
btw thanks for your review, in checking both your chart and my chart while im doing a new one from 0, trying to combine both ideas and trying to fit them according to the review :0 i hope thats ok
Yea i forgot what pitch relevancy is lol sorry bad english

Last edited by StarrySergal; 07-12-2019 at 06:43 PM..
Old 07-12-2019, 08:07 PM   #52
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon

Don't worry, just ask if you are unsure of anything I say here or in the review because of your english skill.

The burst @ 54.683 was intentional. If you want to be conservative just adding the jumps on the 4ths is enough, but it's really not as hard as it seems and adds some spice and replayability to an otherwise very uneventful chart.
Old 07-22-2019, 04:33 PM   #53
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon

Another little update as I actually did something. Finished two new files: Chrono Joust (collab with elekton) and Over100km/h.

You can get them on the spreadsheet.

Edit: One more file!

Last edited by AutotelicBrown; 07-23-2019 at 12:05 PM..
Old 08-10-2019, 07:49 AM   #54
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon

Just a little update because I ended up working on more files with the tourney and everything. They won't be available for download but either way thread and spreadsheet are updated!
Old 08-23-2019, 11:53 AM   #55
suicidaln00b
FFR Player

hey dl.dropbox.com/s/jixepnmssezez4k/Machikado Tangent (suicidaln00b).zip?dl=0
suicidaln00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:54 PM   #56
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon

Thanks for the submission! I only took a brief look and it seems pretty cute.

I'll try to give some initial feedback this weekend, and a full on review... soon (tm).
Old 09-2-2019, 06:59 AM   #57
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon

I'll post again when I finish the entire review but this dropbox folder will have its real-time state if you ever want to check how it is going.
This includes the review text in review.txt and an extra diff exemplifying what I mean in the .sm.

To summarize my general thoughts, the premise of the file is fine but it needs a lot of refinement in terms of layering (especially vocals) and patterning.

Current state of review (note that I might revise what I said for earlier parts after I spend more time with the chart/song):

I added another diff with a rough implementation of the following notes for easier reference. Also I won't explicitly mention repetitions of the same thing for simplicity.

(first note is on 0.606 timestamp)
0.606 and 0.787 - Should either be different jumps or have different layering. In the context of the file I think [24]3 works best.
0.924 to 1.878 - Looks like you started trying to dicksync and suddenly decided to simplify the rhythms. The actual rhythm is very close to straight 16ths starting with an offset and with some notes drifting late. Also those are ascending quadruplets, the pattern should be 12341324123[124] or similar, maybe simplify hand for it to end in 134[12] and be easier.
1.878 - Freeze isn't really necessary as you are already accenting the sound with the hands.
2.060 - Mine doesn't add to anything.
2.242 to 3.697 - I don't know how intentional the 8th jack usage was but either way they can fit the sax (or whatever wind instrument that is) if you move the last jump to [23]. Also swapping columns 1 and 2 works better with how everything goes lower afterwards and makes the patterning more cohesive due to proximity.
4.060 to 4.242 - As the 16th is technically a simplified jack, the [12]34 is misleading and suggests some explicitly ascending sound. [23]14 works best, but it should be different from the choice of jump at 3.697 so it can be [13]24 depending on your choice.
4.424 and 4.606 - Both should be the same between single vs jump to properly match the vocal layering (single note would give those the back vocal treatment).
5.151 to 6.969 - As your focus is on the vocals, 5.151 & 5.333 should be similar to 5.878 & 6.060 (preferrably descending jumps) while 5.515 should definitely be different to 6.242 (both going higher). Last three jumps should distinguish themselves as well, first one being different to 6.242. My suggestions is following the anchored 4th pattern from the previous part to properly represent the percussion, this time using column 1 (you already almost did that).
7.151 to 7.697 - I don't really like ignoring the thing similar to ~1.515 going on here (especially when you are layering the freezes).
9.969 - Extra kick doesn't happen here.
Old 09-2-2019, 12:12 PM   #58
suicidaln00b
FFR Player

thank u for the detailed review lad, i looked it over and pretty much agree with most of it
also sry for my layering/patterning being shite, making an easy file was surprisingly hard
suicidaln00b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-4-2019, 01:43 AM   #59
StarrySergal
FFR Player

Im still working on fixing my chart lol sorry for didnt say anything

Old 09-6-2019, 09:11 AM   #60
AutotelicBrown
Under the scarlet moon

No worries, there is no hurry until we are closer to the estimated deadline by the end of next year.

Quote:
also sry for my layering/patterning being shite, making an easy file was surprisingly hard
I understand, I started stepping with harder files myself and moved to easier files later on.
Only easy thing about easy files is how you are already halfway through the song after stepping a single section

Anyway, it's all good if a honest attempt was made. The detailed review will guarantee the end product is good enough and should double up as a learning experience for us both.