Old 05-16-2019, 06:08 PM   #861
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2019 albums halp

Day 567: When I Get Home by Solange (Album Choice: somone thats not homestarrunner)

I like the production, I like the shorter song lengths, I like the interludes, the mood fits my current mood. It's good. Will re-listen.

I need more caffeine desperstely right about now.

Best Track: Binz
Rating: 7/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 08:30 PM   #862
rayword45

Day 568: Agora by Fennesz (Album Choice: some guy idk)

gonna take myself to a gay bar tn (bc my friends invited me)

this is a weird pregame choice but i enjoy it enough

Best Track: the title one

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
Old 05-17-2019, 11:44 AM   #863
rayword45

Day 569: Igor by Tyler The Creator

To repeat what I've been shitting all over the rest of the internet, there's too much fucking pitch shifting. This isn't as good as Flower Boy but it's better than all his other albums, especially Cherry Bomb to which this kinda seems like an attempt at a do-over. A lot of these tracks feel like The Internet rejects and I don't think Tyler is enough of a singer to carry this kind of album so it could use some more features. I still do like it though, and the bangers are some of his best party tracks ever.

But the fucking pitch-shifting whyyyyyy

Best Track: Are We Still Friends
Rating: 7/10 (4 in a row!)

Old 05-19-2019, 04:32 PM   #864
rayword45

Day 570: Harverd Dropout by Lil Pump

This being in the RYM bottom 20 for 2019 so far is ludicrous. This feels more like a mixtape than an album, with seemingly very little thought given to album flow and track order and whatnot, most of the features are completely useless in the one thing they NEED to do (which is add variety) and it's ridiculously repetitive, but still, bottom 20?

Compared to his 2017 release, the production on this is significantly less grating and terrible (fuck you melon you're wrong again). The rapping is still ass, but I'm not here for bars. This definitely is twice as long as it needs to be, and some of these songs are real stinkers (I dunno if Off White is a stinker because it's fucking funny, but Vroom Vroom Vroom and Stripper Name definitely suck the smegma off a donkey's dick), but what's good is fun enough.

Not that terrible.

Best Track: Racks On Racks
Rating: 5/10 (half point up or down very viable, but regardless broke the chain!)

Old 05-20-2019, 03:25 AM   #865
rayword45

Day 571: Anoyo by Tim Hecker

It's 4:30 AM and I've listened to this 3 times now. The Hecker album this reminds me of most is probably Virgins due to a heavier presence of acoustic instruments than usual, but unlike Virgins I actually quite like this one. This one is REAL short, the shortest release I've ever heard from this guy, and only the first and last track out of six are over 5 minutes in length. What this lacks in length I think it more than makes up for in intricacy, as this may not be as hypnotic as his other releases but the variations in sounds and samples makes it one of his more engaging releases. Not Alone isn't a stronger track here, but it basically sounds like ambient Fuck Buttons which is not something I'd ever expect ol Timmyboy to do.

Good stuff.

It's 4:30 AM.

Best Track: Into The Void or You Never Were
Rating: 7.5/10

Old 05-20-2019, 02:48 PM   #866
rayword45

Day 572: Titanic Rising by Weyes Blood

I really like the cinematic, almost bombastic feeling of the first track. I was hoping the whole album kept that tone throughout, and they clearly tried. Did they hit the mark?

...Eh. Some of the other songs are GREAT, like Movies and Mirror Forever, and keep that gospel-movie kinda quality to them and do it well. Then there's a bunch of songs which just veer way too far into the "boring indie pop" internal bias I have. None of these songs are outright BAD (although what the fuck is with the country Beach Boys sound of the second and third track?), and I understand that my expectations from the first track are probably unfair because

1. Things are always frontloaded
2. "Cinematic" isn't even in the RYM descriptors

But yeah, it... just didn't really captivate me all that much. Maybe I'll appreciate it more with more listens, but I've listened to it thrice now! More likely, I'll delete the songs I don't want and keep this as a high 8 EP.

Melon is a 4channer at heart I just know it and I also blame his stans for always bullshitting RYM scores and making internet music discussions reek of bacterial vaginosis, but at least he doesn't write sub-Christgau malarky like this babble I defecated out in 300 seconds.

Best Track: A Lot's Gonna Change
Rating: 5/10

Old 05-23-2019, 10:09 PM   #867
rayword45

Day Konami: Hi This Is Flume by Flume

Some good songs, yeah. Some wack songs, yeah. Some undercooked ideas, yeah.

Based on memory alone because my Snapchat memories don't load that far back, this is not even 25% as enjoyable ss seeing the dude live (which is an unfair metric, that was a crazy good concert). It's not a bad release, pretty middling overall. Surprisingly good sequencing for a supposed mixtape, there just needs to be a higher quality of songs.

Best Track: How To Build A Relationship or Voices (good feature choices for both)
Rating: 6.5/10

Last edited by rayword45; 05-23-2019 at 10:09 PM..
Old 05-24-2019, 01:31 AM   #868
rayword45

Day 574: Venture by Anderson .Paak

I loved Malibu. This is about more of the same with much less of a wow factor, but these songs are still mostly pretty good. Great instrumentals, good features, mediocre lyrics, the whole thing is kinda same-y and feels like it's playing it safe, but it's still enjoyable.

Best Track: Reachin 2 Much

Old 05-24-2019, 02:04 AM   #869
rayword45

Day 575: For Lovers by Octo Octa

Where Are We Going? remains my second favorite album of 2017. This is only an EP, but it's more consistent than that and with a better atmosphere. This may very well be my favorite release of 2019 to be quite honest, not counting singles because then I have to give it up to U Was At Da Club (Bottoms Up). Damn this isn't an album because it would make ranking things at the end of the year so much easier.

Best Track: I Need You but it's all great shit
Rating: 9/10

Old 05-24-2019, 04:23 PM   #870
Wayward Vagabond
Confirmed Heartbreaker
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Check out jid - decaprio 2
Old 05-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #871
rayword45

Day 576: PROTO by Holly Herndon

I've listened to this twice sober and twice stoned now.

It's better stoned than sober, but super good either way. She got a style I'm certainly a sucker for, although Jlin is somewhat out of place and some cuts, mostly songs that only consist of sung vocals with scant an instrument sound, are a bit sucky.

I'm Dr. Seuss.

Best Track: SWIM (dope title)
Rating: 8/10

Old 05-30-2019, 08:59 PM   #872
rayword45

Day 577: Injury Reserve by Injury Reserve

Good producton

Its good i like booze

Best track Jailbreak the tesla or Wax On
Rating: 8.5/10

Old 05-31-2019, 08:17 PM   #873
rayword45

Day 578: ZUU by Denzel Curry

People be whining that this is a step back after TA13OO.

I mean, yeah it is, but it's still good. The majority of this album slaps which is all I came here for.

Best Track: BIRDZ (and I don't even like Rick Ross)
Rating: 8/10

Old 06-3-2019, 01:37 AM   #874
rayword45

Day 579: Symphony No. 3: Symphony of Sorrowful Songs, Op. 36 by Polish National Radio Symphony Orchestra / Krzysztof Penderecki / Beth Gibbons

I dunno how to review classical shit man. It's good, and the singer is especially talented, moreso knowing the preparations she had to go under, but the only sentence that repeated in my mind as I listened multiple times was "I'd like this more without the damn singing". Kinda hinders my ability to get lost in the atmosphere.

That and for some reason I was expecting something less elegant and more experimental (like the phenomenal opener when I saw Billy Basinski live) because I'm dumb. For what it is, the composition is great and the instrumentation really sucks you into the aura... I just don't like the vocals because I'm a total fuckin dilettante.

I need a job.

Best Track: the first one yo

Old 06-3-2019, 03:05 PM   #875
aperson
FFR Hall of Fame
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to aperson

you need to check out Earth - Full Upon Her Burning Lips bud

aperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-5-2019, 09:52 PM   #876
rayword45

Day 580: Próchno by Próchno

Tomorrow morning begins my first ever solo backpacking vacation to NYC and I don't feel like writing anything except that I dislike the rare vocals.

Best Track: Kamienie

Old 06-6-2019, 11:14 AM   #877
rayword45

Day 581: Cuz I Love You by Lizzo

I saw Lizzo (not bold then bold immediately after, how fun) back when Boston Calling was at city hall in 2015. Granted, I was quite far away because I was maintaining my front row spot at the other stage, and I remember remarkably little of this performance.

This album is making me regret not paying more attention. It's not flawless, some touches seem out of place on their tracks, particularly features (what the fuck is Gucci doing on this album lol and the Missy Elliott track is probably the worst on the album regardless of whether or not that's her fault), but this is a DAMN good album. Reminds me of 70s soul mixed with modern hip-hop/neo-soul trends and some of the most incredibly bombastic production I've ever heard, molded down into pop perfection, and DAMN can she sing. Yeah, some tracks I could give or take (that single aforementioned track and Soulmate come to mind) but this is mostly hits.

Wait, the Missy Elliott track was a single? The fuck?

Good way to start my solo NYC backpacking trip. I hope just the right amount of crazy happens because this got me in a better mood. Too bad whatever album I choose next won't have quite the same effect.

Best Track: Jerome or Cuz I Love You
Rating: 8.5/10

Old 06-6-2019, 12:01 PM   #878
rayword45

Day 582: The Beast You Are by Big Business

Saw em in 2017. Still love Here Comes The Waterworks and enjoy the debut, but haven't really checked much beyond. This album is basically tell me that was the right decision. This isn't bad, it's just perfectly average and feels more like traditional heavy metal, maybe with some sludge influences, than the murk and grind I'm used to from this band.

Disappointing. I'd still see em again though.

Best Track: Under Everest just for being different
Rating: 5/10

Old 06-10-2019, 06:48 PM   #879
rayword45

Day 583: Flamagra by Flying Lotus

Sounds about as half-baked as the man from the copypasta would make.

Best Track: Black Balloons Reprise
Rating: 4.5/10

Old 06-14-2019, 09:15 PM   #880
rayword45

Day 584: Guns by Quelle Chris

This one's been getting a lot of hype. I haven't really delved into conscious hip-hop much recently, but it very much was my gateway into the genre back when I first started this challenge, as embarrassing as that might be to admit.

Speaking of that, check back here if you're one of the three people who reads this for a special retrospective coming some time in the next few weeks to celebrate 5 years of wasting my time filling this thread! 6 counting the first thread!

Anyways, I've bumped this like 10 times now and still have very little to say. I love the beats, and dude has some good bars, but his rather same-y delivery is... well, it's definitely intentional and it colors the album well, but it gets old. Really, this album is clearly about lyrics first, beats second, delivery third, and on the first two it absolutely delivers. I just haven't unpacked it enough yet. Will revisit before the end of the year (how many times have I said "will revisit"?)

Best Track: Straight Shot

Last edited by rayword45; 06-14-2019 at 09:15 PM..