the voidz - virtue

the album officially drops on the 30th but it just leaked today
Gravity Kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:08 PM   #663
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

Day 444: ? by XXXTentacion (Album Choice: choof)

What the fuck dude, why? And also fuck that title.

So first thing first, that introduction was COMPLETELY unnecessary and didn't need to go on for more than 30 seconds, if that. After that, this seems to be lean more on the side of soft songs than hard bangers. That's good, because all these soft songs just sound like bad mid-2000s emo Hot Topic nonsense. It's pretty awful, but nowhere near as awful as when he tries to make an actual banger. Floor 555 sounds like Eminem gone digital hardcore, Going Down doesn't have the vibe to justify it's subject matter or general existence, $$$ just sounds more and more idiotic with every passing pitchshifted adlib. All of these songs infuriate you because they have no reason to exist, whereas most of the soft shit is just corny and laughable (I actually laughed out loud to Changes). The pure rock shit is mercifully the least commonly reoccuring stuff, because that stuff goes beyond awful into so-bad-its-good territory before looping back to so-bad-you-wanna-die. What even is Schizophrenia?

Actually lemme fix that, not every soft song is superior to the bangers, depending on what qualifies as the former. Pain = BESTFRIEND went from potential highlight to "whoa whoa whoa what are these TERRIBLE emo screams?"

Onto the good. infinity (888) is an actually decent banger, no doubt thanks 100% to Joey Bada$$ and I don't even speak spanish lol is sufficiently groovy.

That ends the good. Why the fuck you do this, choof?

These titles are fucking stupid.

Best Track: infinity (888)
Rating: 3/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 03-19-2018 at 10:28 AM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 02:13 PM   #664
choof
Banned
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

I only did it because it's easily one of the worst albums of the year, quite possibly the worst
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:21 PM   #665
Gravity Kitten
FFR Player

im sad i know yeh
Old 03-26-2018, 06:52 PM   #666
Gravity Kitten
FFR Player

https://owane.bandcamp.com/album/yeah-whatever
Old 03-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #667
rayword45

Day 445: We Beefin? by at Wendys

I expected this to be so bad it's funny or so bad it's depressing. Instead it's just bad in a boring, uninspiring way. Everything about this EP is dry and generic as fuck besides the atrocious adverlyrics. This did not satisfy my masochistic side at all.

To spice up this review, I blasted it and forced my mom to listen to it with me. Some choice quotes

"I don't like it"
"Is it over yet?"
"Is that a man or a woman? So nasal."
"We're all gonna die soon."

So from a woman who likes her momrock, not good.

Best Track: No
Rating: 1.5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.

Last edited by rayword45; 03-29-2018 at 09:22 PM..
Old 04-1-2018, 03:45 PM   #668
rayword45

Day 446: Lil Boat 2 by Lil Yachty

The only use this album has is as a cure for insomniacs. Fucking terrible.

Best Track: IT'S ALL THE SAME MUMBLESHIT
Rating: 2/10

Old 04-2-2018, 02:53 PM   #669
Kairon
Still Defiantly Index
FFR Veteran

Have I pimped myself out yet?

If not, "Worthless!" by halfcrash

i am halfcrash - i make sounds - bandcamp - soundcloud - facebook
Kairon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-4-2018, 12:11 AM   #670
rayword45

Day 447: FEVER by Black Milk

Three listens and I still don't got much to say, let's do this one quick so I can get back to my homework.

Some highlights, True Lies is groovy as fuck, Drown is gorgeous, and Foe Friend is great too. In general, these beats are great and what I've been looking for recently. Also, the album doesn't outstay its welcome, which still is a serious virtue in hip-hop.

Lowlight? Eh, I guess the delivery could use a little work, and autotune here and there seems out of place. Overall though, not bad!

Best Track: Drown
Rating: 7.5/10

Old 04-8-2018, 06:07 PM   #671
rayword45

Day 448: Isolation by Kali Uchis

i got banned from rym for shitposting too much

This is a good album. Probably will end up in my top 10. Only song that I didn't like was Your Teeth In My Neck. Even the interludes are smooth as fuck.

I had a whole bunch more written for this but decided to abandon it all because fuck it.

Best Track: Flight 22
Rating: 9/10

Old 04-18-2018, 09:05 PM   #672
rayword45

Day 449: Song For Alpha by Daniel Avery (Album Choice: internet music nerds)

"Yo somehow this music is blending in PERFECTLY with the pop music blasting in this car. They don't contrast at all, which is scary... okay that's probably just a first track thing.

Sensation is great."

That was all I managed to write down on my first go through with this album, before slinking off into half-sleep. I've listened to this album about five times now. Before, I would shit out a review towards the end of an album to get it over with, but this one caused me to lose words. "Before" was the absolute wrong word to use considering I still do that, it's just that this album is specifically difficult to shitpost out a review to. That's a good thing!

Geogaddi is one of my all-time favorite albums, and this album seems to capture that same vibe that I love in large part, although this one definitely isn't as dark and there are more "danceable" moments here, using that term lightly (basically where the albums house flavor shows up). Either way, a great, great album and rivaling Kali for my current favorite of 2018 spot. Unlike Boards of Canada though, I can confidently say that the short tracks here really don't have shit on the long tracks.

Best Track: Quick Eternity
Rating: 8.5/10

Old 04-18-2018, 10:21 PM   #673
rayword45

Day 450: Invasion of Privacy by Cardi B (Album Choice: Jeremy L. and J. S. (name so esoteric I felt obligated to use initials for privacy))

My school won the Tinder swipe-off, where the university with the most right swipes gets a free Cardi B concert.

On a motherfucking Wednesday.

And you bet your ass that I'm gonna go get my ticket tomorrow, because hell, Bodak Yellow annoys the living shit out of me, but no matter what free kicks the everloving shit out of $120+ to say I saw her within my lifetime. And everyone around me is saying this album is surprisingly fire, my internet music nerd friends, my poor Bostonian friends, my white-privileged Bostonian friends, even my fellow Bodak Yellow haters. The only people who have talked shit about it to me haven't even listened to it, they're just biased against the artist for whatever reason ("man all she does is rap about HOE SHIT, maan" well yeah but don't all rappers?). Anyways, let's get this going while I continue on my homework. I predict that I'll enjoy this album a decent amount, but it definitely won't reach the heights of Isolation. It just isn't possible for that to happen on first listen, mainly for the incredibly stupid reason that I find Kali Uchis more attractive than just about any other popular musician right now... Shallow, I know, cut me some slack I'm a hormonal 20-year-old with shitty social skills.

I wasn't exactly sold by the first track, but the following two tracks are exactly the bouncy kind of fun I was hoping for.

And then yup, I still don't like Bodak Yellow. Also, this Chance the Rapper song is fucking ruined by Chance the Rapper, who I actually like. The other features aren't nearly as song-trashing, but they're mostly superfluous minus Kehlani, who adds a much appreciated smooth, sexy touch to one of the softer tracks. Even SZA feels irrelevant to the song, which is a big disappointment.

But besides those minor gripes, this is loaded to the brim with fun, energetic bangers. It's not even close to flawless, mind you, but I can see myself enjoying this concert a lot, so I think this album accomplished its mission. There are also some more melodic pop tracks like Ring and Thru Your Phone, which are good for all intents and purposes (except the latter of the ones I mentioned) but I don't see myself enjoying those live much at all. Either way, good album with only a couple of actively agitating tracks.

Best Track: I Like It (now THAT's a fire beat)
Rating: 7/10

Old 04-26-2018, 02:24 PM   #674
rayword45

Day 451: The Scientists by Sleep

Yeah I know I'm almost a week late, fuckin shoot me.

These lyrics are a bit more laughable than Dopesmoker in my opinion, but who the fuck listens to an Al Cisernos project for the lyrics? This is all about the riffs, and riffs are delivered. Antarcticans Thawed is easily the best song on this album with that gorgeous, Boris-esque build-up, the most entrancing solo of a fucking showcase of them on the album (and y'all know I usually hate wank except on my own OK I'll stop), and a swirling atmosphere that keeps your head bobbing throughout. I didn't wanna say headbanging because... eh fuck it. Yeah this is a headbanger. A really slow one, but a fucking phenomenal headbanger nonetheless.

All five of the tracks after the experimental intro are phenomenal, as a matter of fact. This shit is awesome. Is it better than Dopesmoker? No, but that's really hard to beat. The vocals are a bit too clean for my taste but regardless, this comes highly recommended.

Best Track: I just fucking said it
Rating: 9/10

Old 04-29-2018, 10:10 PM   #675
rayword45

Day 452: Chapter 66 - Layed Back Rollin' by DJ Screw

I just played this one randomly without even realizing it's posthumous.

It's good but not amazing. I can't remember a single track title.

Best Track: What the fuck did I just say?
Rating: 6.5/10

Old 05-1-2018, 03:44 AM   #676
Shikari
FFR Player

Send a message via AIM to Shikari Send a message via Skype™ to Shikari

I see you like Stoner Rock/Metal, so try Sundrifter - Variations, been having a good time with it lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger View Post
Shikari for resident profile artist
Shikari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-3-2018, 12:38 AM   #677
rayword45

Day 453: Virtue by The Voidz (Album Choice: Gravity Kitten)

Truthfully, I think I have heard about three or four Strokes songs, and two of those were songs I was forced to cover for a band. This isn't caused by any disdain for the band or any of its members. As a matter of fact, this isn't caused by any emotion. I just don't care enough to check out The Strokes, and if I ever do I've gotta work up that care. So for a first album from Julian, perhaps this is a bit weird, but whatever. At least I don't have any expectations whatsoever, that's gotta count for something, right?

This first song is dividing me internally. It's catchy, the textures are great, and I fucking love that brief breakdown of broken chords. I don't have any actual complaints about this song, but it's not something that rings with me on an emotional level. In fact, it seems kinda sterile, like "we're cool, aloof and indie" sterile. That's the reason I hate bands like Vampire Weekend. Also, the autotune is unnecessary.

The general "weird out" vibe they seem to be going for is one that probably wouldn't hit me the way they intended regardless of anything, seeing how I'm guessing my taste in weird is far more esoteric than their average fan. This liberal autotune and general vocoding that seems to be a large basis for the album's atmosphere is really only bringing this album down. I'm willing to bet I'd enjoy this a lot more if the vocals were simply rawer, since strained performances and wild performances are two of my favorite kinds of singing. Outside of that, this is baby's first bizarre, with any actual moments of oddity only lasting a few seconds at best only to be brought back around to the riffs.

Speaking of the riffs, the heavy metal-aping Pyramids of Bones was probably the first track I legitimately enjoyed. The guitar is simplistic and, again, the weird-for-weirdness-sake shit really doesn't add anything, but fuck it this one is catchy in a hypnotic way. The duo of songs immediately following keep the hypnotic and the "we're better and more enjoyable than the first two tracks" while completely stripping away all traces of metal, leaving some groovy, sauntering jams that leave you in a trance. This is good stuff, especially the unfortunately-titled multitrack crooner ALieNNatioN. I guessed the capitalization the first time I typed that out and got it wrong, proving just how bad this title is Jesus Christ dude what the fuck were you thinking?

For someone who spent so much time shitting on the first 5 minutes of this album, I seem to be enjoying it so far. All Wordz Are Made Up is the first time in a while I'm completely unimpressed by a track, since it seems to want to dial up the weird yet again to nobody's benefit and generally just sounds like a shitty Talking Heads wannabe. Hey, it seems like all the tracks I don't like so far are the singles minus the one I mentioned liking. What radio stations play this shit?

...And nevermind (oh yeah, I'm spelling it like that, SUCK IT) what I just said about singles, this acoustic track is fucking terrible. No wonder this guy kept most of his album aseptic as fuck, THIS is what he sounds like emoting? Hell no.

Okay, now we're back to the fun stuff. Wink brings back that slow mesmerizing atmosphere while maintaining its own unique, bouncy sensibility. My Friend The Walls is perhaps the first time the weirdness feels less than forced to me. It's not one of the better tracks on this album, it's really rather middling, but that fact alone gives me an immense respect for it.

This is my least favorite kind of review, the "let's talk about nearly every track yet somehow have it be holistic" kind. Thus I'm stopping myself short and gonna stop typing here until I'm finished with the album.

And now that I am finished, I'm not sure if I wanna revisit this album as a whole or just the tracks I like. This is pretty middle of the road for me. The songs I like I really do enjoy, but this thing is hit-or-miss as fuck, which is basically a guarantee when you go for a genre blender approach like the one here. For such an eclectic approach, however, it's pretty easy to break this up into what I do and don't like. The slow songs are easily the best here, especially, to mention one more song by name, the song that I said "especially" for before. And especially dirge-y closer Pointlessness, which may very well be my favorite track. Outside of that, the second most common kind of song here is noise rock slop, which together are equally as hit-or-miss as the album as a whole. Then you have the tracks either trying to be weird for weird's sake (but not really being THAT weird), or being "different" like that shitty acoustic song. Fuck those songs.

And fuck finals.

Best Track: I mentioned two different tracks as serious highlights, and I can't pick either one. I'm amazed that the singles make up my two favorite tracks and three of my least favorite tracks.
Rating: 6/10

Last edited by rayword45; 05-3-2018 at 12:46 AM..
Old 05-6-2018, 07:55 PM   #678
rayword45

Day 454: Xuvetyn by Lovesliescrushing (Album Choice: penancestare)

Shoegazy ambient. In its attempt to sound ethereal, the album comes across as earnest but there's a certain self-awareness lacking, particularly in the more abrasive interludes, that makes this feel like less than a cohesive whole. But those bits are brief and the rest is silken and gorgeous, if mildly repetitive. I prefer my ambient to explore worlds and atmospheres, not riff on variations of a theme.

Best Track: Blooded and Blossom-Blown
Rating: 7/10

Last edited by rayword45; 05-7-2018 at 12:54 AM..
Old 05-7-2018, 01:06 AM   #679
rayword45

Day 455: 2012 - 2017 by A.A.L (Against All Logic)

Holy motherfucking shit I cannot wait to go home after 4 more nights. Let's play some house to celebrate! And also because it'll help me focus.

Well, it did indeed help me focus... I dunno why I started the sentence like that, sounds like I'm about to have something negative to say but I don't. Maybe I'm a plebeian and the fact that I just called myself has turned me briefly suicidal. God I hate that word. This shit grooves like a motherfucker and does not relent. The shorter tracks are kinda hit-or-miss but those long tracks hypnotize. Incredibly warm and organic-sounding album.

I don't have anything else to say. Fuck finals.

Best Track: I Never Dream or You Are Going To Love Me And Scream
Rating: 8.5/10

Old 05-9-2018, 07:36 PM   #680
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

did you listen to singularity yet
PixlSM is offline   Reply With Quote