Old 12-27-2017, 01:23 PM   #621
rayword45
Local Teenage Wastebasket
FFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Recommend me some 2017 albums halp

Day 431: Black Origami by Jlin

The origami elephant was a fitting artwork choice, as this is easily one of the most tribal-sounding IDM releases I've ever heard. What the fuck is jungle anyways?

Wait, Holy Child was co-composed by fucking William Basinski? Hot damn I would never have guess. That was pretty easily the most melodic track I've heard thus far. This whole thing is mostly fast drum loops and warped vocal samples. Compared to most other (mostly-)amelodic IDM I've heard, this one doesn't seem to wanna impress you by showing how they can make the drums go fast. Instead, there's an intense pressure on you to feel those slight changes, which works really well for tracks like Carbon 7 (161) and 1% (goddamn that's a fucking banger). Never Created, Never Destroyed is another highlight, but it's a bit of an outlier. Yet it's so samey. This album is basically half-boring, half-bangers. Yet it's all so samey, what a conundrum. Well, consistency and flow are important to an album, aren't they? I judge thusly.

Also I forgot to mention just how weird those first few seconds are. They're weird as fuck. I don't like them.

Best Track: 1%
Rating: 6.5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

Hey, we need some users on this site. Please join.

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
NO WAIT THAT SHIT'S OLD GO HERE INSTEAD.

Last edited by rayword45; 12-27-2017 at 01:46 PM..
rayword45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 04:35 PM   #622
rayword45

Day 432: Whatever Works by Oliver Houston (Album Choice: PixlSM)

When he says "mostly the same" in Bernie it resonates hard.

Best Track: Tom Quad
Rating: 5/10

BEST AAAs: WANDERLUST, Pandora, Necropotence, Mourning The Lost, Eradication, Feldschlacht

And if you have not recommended any albums yet, do so. Please. I have a goal to reach. Here.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:12 AM   #623
rayword45

Day 433: A Thousand Skies by Clap! Clap! (Album Choice: MyNameIsNothing)

Went into this one blindly and fucking glad I did. This one is loaded to the brim with bangers, although I wish they were a little longer. What's that? Me wanting something to be longer? That's a good sign.

There are a few missteps, like the bizarrely agitating Witch Interlude or the goofy ender Ascension Psalm but most of this is fun, freeflowing, energetic dance music with a similar vibe to that Jlin album I reviewed, but more subtle in its global influences and much more melodic. Admittedly they're apples and oranges, but I do think I prefer this one in most situations. Plus it's more consistent for me.

I'm out of words.

Best Track: Ar-Raqis
Rating: 8/10

Old 01-17-2018, 08:17 PM   #624
rayword45

Day 434: Insen by Alva Noto & Ryuichi Sakamoto (Album Choice: Crazyjayde)

I listened to this album like 6 times before starting this and I'm still struggling for words because... something. Not a bad or unfitting choice to loop while walking around the snowy city at least, very soothing sounds, warm yet icy cold. Terse titles don't always accurately represent the frigid sounds within, but who am I to judge?

I got lazy and felt like turning this into a Christgau-style review because I could.

Best Track: Logic Moon
Rating: 7/10

Old 01-17-2018, 09:37 PM   #625
g.o.ry
FFR Player

https://youtu.be/oSUb5MIcp2I
https://youtu.be/IgfjRnuhT-Q
https://youtu.be/Fuf1zrpjQxk
https://youtu.be/rEYa8tWkPFM
https://youtu.be/0XYXexLWOKc
https://youtu.be/ctbqe9MKMww
https://youtu.be/usJHvVAki7w
https://youtu.be/vuxRVJP5Pfw
https://youtu.be/8VCCkymXplE
I don't think any of these are from 2017 but still...
Do you have a last.fm account?

Last edited by g.o.ry; 01-17-2018 at 09:38 PM..
g.o.ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:14 PM   #626
rayword45

Default Re: Recommend me some 2018 albums halp

thanks for reminding me to change the title and no but i have an rym

Old 01-17-2018, 11:06 PM   #627
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Rayword45 is absolutely beyond all umbrance of doubt the most critical author to have graced this hideous planet.
I've read Michener, Asimov, Jordan, Lumley, Ludlum, Poe, Rice, Rowling, King, Lovecraft, Steinbeck, Shakespeare, Kipling, Twain, Carroll, Baum, Tolkien, the Bible +many more 'classics' but damn it, and I despise profanity, I'm 8 pages in to this 63 page thread after 2 hours and I'm speechless. It's boosting my reading levels to great heights. The music review genre is not really my party, and ray's cynical ambivalence, uncanny beyond-his-years knowledge, and unfortunately victimized ahead-of-his-time life is like opening up a can of tinnitus, but I shall read this entire thesis.

I am absolutely certain that rayword is, simply put, a lit match in a maze of dynamite critics and has finally changed the rules of the ancient ballgame. What's your next move?

Ray check your credit log I sent you a little something, it's not much but hey.

Last edited by Travis_Flesher; 01-18-2018 at 12:04 AM..
Travis_Flesher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 11:10 PM   #628
rayword45

Continue putting little-to-no effort in these reviews while being a drunk sadsack.

Your post is makin me wonder how many times you have sweared on this site

EDIT: The rowling inclusion is really funny to me for some reaon

Last edited by rayword45; 01-17-2018 at 11:11 PM..
Old 01-17-2018, 11:13 PM   #629
rayword45

Also the victimized ahead of my time thing makes me cringe i was an overly emotional tenth grader and now im just an emotionally numb college sophomore who would kick that dudes ass

Old 01-18-2018, 01:18 AM   #630
g.o.ry
FFR Player

If you haven't heard 'a soundtrack to death' by mura masa and also 'someday somewhere' by the same artist
I searched the thread and nobody mentioned either of those
Old 01-18-2018, 09:47 AM   #631
Travis_Flesher
Champion
FFR Veteran

Ray this blog is solid gold.
I may be wrong but I assume you're a hidden gem author.
A lot of naysayers will hate on the defamation but I think this has enough snowball to avalanche the other guys.
You need a Jerry Maguire bro.. Have you considered publishing?
Old 01-23-2018, 01:04 PM   #632
rayword45

Day 435: Good Morning Spider by Sparklehorse (Album Choice: vaguelyhumanoid)

I'm so lazy as to not wanna listen to the majority of the canon, but here we go. I'm interrupting my 50th consecutive loop of Midnight In A Perfect World for this, so guesstimate my mood.

That first song made my expectations way too high. I came into this expecting a bunch of sadsack shit, but then got greeted with a wonderful, pop-punky lo-fi treat... and then it went right into a bunch of sadsack shit. I don't mean that disparagingly, I just wanted way more like the first song, and it really doesn't even get close, a little bit of fuzz doesn't match that energy and maybe like 3 or 4 of these songs even have that fuzz, the rest is acoustic and orchestrated like an indie band would. Many of these songs are pretty, for sure (here comes the obligatory list: the slow folk-popper Sunshine, muffled chamber dirge Come On In, orchestrated lullaby Hundreds of Sparrows, and beautifully spare closer Junebug are some of only a few highlight) but I expected more variance.

Damn, this is like that Sweet Trip album where one song stands over all the others so obviously. Wait, I didn't make that clear in my review of that album? Well, now I am, and guess which one it is, because it's obvious. Anyways, back to this, yeah, I needed more aggressive fuzz because actually, revisiting, these other fuzzy songs kinda suck... Especially Sick Of Goodbyes which is throwaway pop to me. Happy Man is aight I suppose. And the little interludes also do nothing for me. That leaves the mopey songs I was ragging on earlier, but honestly, the good ones make for a pretty decent album. Reviewing canon shit usually sucks out the ass, this time it sucked a LITTLE bit less I think.

I like to harp on one thing over and over again.

Best Track: Pig

Last edited by rayword45; 01-23-2018 at 01:04 PM..
Old 01-24-2018, 05:56 PM   #633
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
I'm interrupting my 50th consecutive loop of Midnight In A Perfect World for this, so guesstimate my mood.
I mean it is the best song on Endtroducing... although I imagine "Insight! Foresight! Moresight! The clock on the wall reads a quarter past midnight..." would get old after 50 listens lmao

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayword45 View Post
that Sweet Trip album where one song stands over all the others so obviously
I hope you aren't referring to Halica Bliss Out or Velocity : Design : Comfort

Last edited by PixlSM; 01-24-2018 at 05:56 PM.. Reason: put a fucking smiley in the album title
PixlSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 06:38 PM   #634
rayword45

Day 436: Tryshasla by Secede (Album Choice: korny)

Somehow I came into this expecting a trip-hop album... I really don't know why. I've listened to this album like 5 times now and it's still really hard to put into words. It has boring parts (the intro is far too long, some of these long songs could poise to have their ends chopped off) but it also has some pretty parts (Leraine, Friday Fall, We No Longer Need Ourselves. the first half of The Realms Of Sanda). Yeah, nothing else to say except it also was pretty damn dope intoxicated.

Best Track: Leraine

Old 02-20-2018, 02:02 PM   #635
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

when are you doing lda
Old 02-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #636
rayword45

I'll try to get to it soon

Day 437: Need To Feel Your Love by Sheer Mag (Album Choice: marsbars)

I tried to listen to the 2017 release from MACHINE GIRL that I'm too lazy to spell the title out to, but a few tracks after a banging first track and I just got half-bored, half-annoyed, all-I-don't-want-to-finish-this. So let's try this instead. I'm still checking out 2017 albums? No, not really but eh, whatever.

...Who the fuck is this guy... lady... okay yeah I checked it's a woman. Anyways, who the fuck is this lady tryna sound like? Joan Jett? Ozzy? Because it's not nearly as listenable as either, and the riffs here don't make up for the fact so far. This just sounds like a mix between bland indie pop and shitty twangy truckdrivin music from too many decades ago. Every time something seems like it has potential, I'm immediately disappointed. Oh, what's this pretty jangling progression entitled? Expect The Bayonet oh okay highli- ah wait nevermind, this is just more generic cowpower pop. Cow pop. Cower pop. Power cow.

Holy fuck, why did they make this thing 43 minutes? It's not like there's significant variation or anything of the sort to be found here. Okay, I'm one-quarter of the way through. I already bitched out of one album, let's not make it two... Oh but this one is so much worse so far. Oh well, I ain't gonna be a little bitch again.

I can just sense that these guys are trying to go for mild variation like, well, most every other band, but it's hard to tell. Is Until You Find The One supposed to be a soft song? Why the hell is she screaming then? I'm starting to contemplate whether or not this is meant to be enjoyed "ironically" (like, it sounds so fucking outdated) but I can still enjoy other "ironic" genres like vaporwave.

The guitar tones remind me of Radio City, but the songwriting is so unremarkable and the performance is so grating that I think I'd rather listen to Like Flies On Sherbert. Or that MACHINE GIRL album I quit. The 2017 list remains untouched.

Best Track: The first few seconds of Expect The Bayonet
Rating: 2.5/10

Old 02-20-2018, 10:21 PM   #637
rayword45

Day 438: Songs For The Recently Sad by Soccer Mommy (Album Choice: g.o.ry)

This album better be better than the last one. Seems mildly obscure, which I don't care about except I hope that means there's a lo-fi aesthetic here.

So far, yeah this is pretty damn lo-fi, and it's soft and pretty. Shitty production values with noise creates more noise, whereas tape hiss and crackle usually makes a quiet acoustic affair seem all the more personal and intimate. Clearly, I'm a sucker for bad aesthetic.

I don't find this particular EP all that personally resonant, but goddamnit this is what I was missing from the last album, affecting songwriting! And a general sense that I'm supposed to enjoy this for what it actually is, simple fingerpicked indie folk. There's nothing here making me go "WOW!" especially, but there's absolutely nothing offensive here, it's all pure, floaty pleasantries... Is that the right definition of pleasantries? I hope not.

I can certainly see myself returning to this one on a lonely, muggy summer day. Wait, fuck, I wrote this entire review comparing it to another album that doesn't even sound similar. Ah well, a simplistic release gets a simplistic review... Except simplicity isn't the flaw here. Fuck you.

Best Track: Memories

Old 02-21-2018, 10:37 AM   #638
rayword45

Day 439: Goths by The Mountain Goats (Album Choice: college peoples)

Y'all already know how much I love this band. This is supposedly the "no guitars" album which is worrisome, but hey I've been wrong most of my life. I've also heard a bunch of these songs live already, some of them twice, yet I promise you I won't remember shit.

Well, actually I vaguely remember this opening song being played live, albeit much sparer in arrangement. This one rocks pretty hard, but after that it seems to mostly be soft chamber pop. In fact, it feels like Darnielle spent way more time on figuring out how to make the orchestration sound like an indie 90s release than writing lyrics. I know that last sentence is objectively false, but the lyrics here pale in comparison to my favorite albums of his, and that's all I'm looking for! Maybe it's because I'm not a goth, but goddamnit I'm severely depressed and that ought to count for something.

Anyways, there's a mix of great songs and boring-to-cheesy song (what the fuck is Wear Black?) but none of it has the energy or strike of his earlier albums besides the first track. It's mostly just pretty yet inconsequential quiet stuff.

A perfectly middling album. Also, is it me or does Rage In Travers sound like a certain Tame Impala song?

Best Track: Rain In Soho
Rating: 6/10

Old 02-22-2018, 05:16 PM   #639
Shodzzy
FFR Player

Send a message via Yahoo to Shodzzy Send a message via Skype™ to Shodzzy

If ur talking about songs...

"Uncommon Knowledge" by K.A.A.N
great one, I'm listening to it as I type, it makes me wanna get outta the house and backflip into a drain

dont ask pls

1. pedophilia?

2. statutory rape?

3. masturbation?
goood mythical morning
Shodzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #640
PixlSM
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite Keysmasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shodzzy View Post
If ur talking about songs...

on a side note you should listen to ryuichi sakamoto + alva noto's new live album, Glass while you are still doing 2018 stuff