Old 11-16-2017, 10:19 AM   #1
Funnygurl555
-_-
FFR Veteran

Default Help me w/ a project I wanna do next school year

Sup, FFR.

I have briefly returned again 'cause of TWG, and I have a question that I hope you can help me with

Next school year, I'm thinking of doing a project about providing adequate mental health education to middle school students. At least in my experience, people don't learn enough at the right time. Do you guys remember what kinds of things you were taught in schools back in the day? I know a lot of you deal with some sort of mental illness. Has the education schools provided you prepared you for what you would face? Did it prepare your friends to be proper support systems? etc. etc.

I'm going to apply for a fellowship because not worrying about money while I do this is chill but I've decided I'm going to do this regardless (by staying home for a year n' commuting to schools near my town n' stuff). But yeah, it would be cool if y'all would also ask me questions so I can make my plan more legit.

Another plan I was thinking about was providing college readiness mentoring to middle schoolers, since people typically focus on high schoolers and like, little kids when they want to improve educational outcomes. I personally think it's more effective to deal with people before they enter high school in the first place, y'no. The pros of this approach is I've spent a lot of time during college mentoring high schoolers and it would be easy to adapt what I've done to middle schoolers.

Thanks y'all.

-Funnygurl
>Former Fiffer player
>a nerd who's still in school
>is a literal grill
\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ
Funnygurl555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:11 AM   #2
choof
Banned
Sectional ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Default Re: Help me w/ a project I wanna do next school year

I was taught literally nothing in middle school about mental illness
so I suppose there are two major things that I can think of
one, actually talk about mental illness
and two, teach kids to not stigmatize it
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

Was homeschooled, but my books briefly touched upon the subject and left IIRC.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter / FFR Archives

Quote:
Originally Posted by star-crossed View Post
Hi, are you high?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
if there's one thing I love doing in TWG, its killing my partners for that sweet, sweet town cred
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundbox View Post
Achievement unlocked: reading the setup
Fuck me I'm dumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashflash account View Post
No, this is my Flashflash account
Quote:
Originally Posted by meno_rocks123 View Post
I could spew this shit all night. Feel free to fill in character names at random and still have it make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
So, there's limits to my own stupidity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Mad Dummy (Neee) View Post
But, I mean, shado claimed to seer check his N0 on N4, so obvs there's some NEXT LEVEL SHIT going down..
MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #4
Rapta
Arrow Busting Elder
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to Rapta

mental illness usually isn't thought about unless you have mental illness, or have a close friend with it from my experience
My You Tube channel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by justin_ator View Post
Can we make an "I'm quitting" subforum?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?

Last edited by Rapta; 11-16-2017 at 12:43 PM..
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
Fantasticone
D7 Elite Keymasher
D7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
Sup, FFR.
Do you guys remember what kinds of things you were taught in schools back in the day? I know a lot of you deal with some sort of mental illness. Has the education schools provided you prepared you for what you would face? Did it prepare your friends to be proper support systems? etc. etc.
From what I remember this kind of stuff really wasn't thought in middle school at all, education definitely lacked in that area. One thing though that could of been expressed better back then and today is that mental illness does not mean the person is retarded. That kind of thinking was a bit prevalent among young people.

Last edited by Fantasticone; 11-16-2017 at 01:29 PM..
Fantasticone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #6
NinjaSM
FFR Player

Send a message via Skype™ to NinjaSM

Still in school, mental illness has not been a topic of discussion AT ALL
it's kinda taboo to talk about here too, some people really fucking look down on you if they find out you have a mental illness, which fucking sucks, but that just shows how unimportant and misunderstood mental health is here.

(It's not entirely misunderstood/unimportant, there are people who really do understand the importance of it, and do support you, but some people here will choose not to be your friend and even belittle you because of it)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
more like #ningasm amirite
Add me on Discord: Ray#3920
NinjaSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
Spenner
Forum User
Sectional Moderator

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Nothing was really taught in my schools. The first time I learned everything was in a psychology class in grade 11. Other than that, numbers for suicide hotlines were posted periodically.

I think aspects of cognitive behavioural therapy need to be taught to kids so they have the tools to move on from certain things that feel like monolithic barriers.

How do you plan to approach this? Are you going to educate them on the definitions and symptoms, or are you going to try to help them recognize the anatomy of a train of thought (ideally both though but those are two different styles of learning for this)?

I feel like certain kids won't want to give this attention because it's hard for them to relate. But this is important for them to have in the.backs of their minds.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:28 PM   #8
MixMasterLar
Beach Bum Extraordinaire
FFR Simfile Author

Send a message via AIM to MixMasterLar Send a message via Skype™ to MixMasterLar

If I find out I actually had more materiel on mental health as a kid then those who went to public school I will lol and then cry myself to sleep.

Facebook / Youtube / Twitter / FFR Archives

Quote:
Originally Posted by star-crossed View Post
Hi, are you high?
Quote:
Originally Posted by the sun fan View Post
if there's one thing I love doing in TWG, its killing my partners for that sweet, sweet town cred
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundbox View Post
Achievement unlocked: reading the setup
Fuck me I'm dumb
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashflash account View Post
No, this is my Flashflash account
Quote:
Originally Posted by meno_rocks123 View Post
I could spew this shit all night. Feel free to fill in character names at random and still have it make sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakulyte View Post
So, there's limits to my own stupidity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TWG Mad Dummy (Neee) View Post
But, I mean, shado claimed to seer check his N0 on N4, so obvs there's some NEXT LEVEL SHIT going down..
MixMasterLar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:42 PM   #9
Funnygurl555
-_-
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
How do you plan to approach this? Are you going to educate them on the definitions and symptoms, or are you going to try to help them recognize the anatomy of a train of thought (ideally both though but those are two different styles of learning for this)?
What do you mean about anatomy of a train of thought?

Also, so far I'm planning on talking about definitions n' symptoms n' prognosis, then treatments, then stigma + misconceptions of mental illness, then about supporting friends/family members with a mental illness.

I was also wondering if I could hold things before and after school hours so I could do additional things. Like, I can't ask for too much time during the school day because no matter how helpful this is, like they're at school to learn other things y'no? If I do that though, I was thinking about giving additional tips on supporting those with mental illness (similar to some of the things I was taught when I was trained to volunteer at a crisis hotline) or tell parents to come over one day and give them roughly the same talk I give to students since tbh many parents don't know crap about mental health =/

Quote:
I feel like certain kids won't want to give this attention because it's hard for them to relate. But this is important for them to have in the.backs of their minds.
Yeah, most of them won't experience mental illness themselves. They'll likely know a friend who's struggling though, or will begin struggling in a year or two. That's why I want to gear a lot of what I talk about on stigma and making a good support network. Hopefully what I say will be relevant to everyone
\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ\_(ツ)_/ŻŻ
Old 11-18-2017, 01:45 PM   #10
Funnygurl555
-_-
FFR Veteran

Also, what aspects of cognitive therapy do you believe are important to learn?

whoops I forgot I could edit my posts dangit twg sry for the double post y'all

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 11-18-2017 at 01:46 PM..
Old 11-18-2017, 02:47 PM   #11
choof
Banned
Sectional ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 View Post
What do you mean about anatomy of a train of thought?
i believe what he means is what pieces make up healthy and unhealthy train of thought, what makes for good introspective, what makes for unhealthy self-deprecation, etc
choof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 04:53 PM   #12
reuben_tate
Kawaii Desu Ne?
Sectional ModeratorFFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to reuben_tate Send a message via Skype™ to reuben_tate

From what I recall, I wasn't taught anything regarding mental health in either middle or high school, even though I had a Health class both in middle and high school.

Do any of the middle schools in your area have a Health class that students take? Maybe it might be worth talking to some of the Health teachers at those schools and discuss the idea of making room for mental health in the curriculum. Perhaps the teacher is bound by a strict set of things they are (and aren't) expected to teach the students though. In either case, it'd be interesting to get a better perspective on why mental health is a topic that is hardly covered.

One thing I'm curious about is your plan to get students to attend your thing. If it's after school, there might be some students that need to catch the bus, or whose parents want to pick them up immediately after school, or maybe the students need to immediately go home for whatever reason. There's also the issue of getting students interested in attending. Perhaps providing light refreshments might entice some students or perhaps having the health teacher provide extra credit to students that attend, idk. Or perhaps you could ask teachers if you could spend 5 minutes at the start of their class to tell students about your project and if you can make it seem like something that would be interesting/engaging for them, perhaps that might be enough to get some students to attend.

Talking about being interesting/engaging, it might help to plan some engaging activities for the students. Especially if they are middle school students...they probably don't want to just sit down and listen to a talking head for an hour :P

Happening now! Click to join!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenner View Post
(^)> peck peck says the heels
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xx{Midnight}xX
And god made ben, and realized he was doomed to miss. And said it was good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakvvv666
awww :< crushing my dreams; was looking foward to you attempting to shoot yourself point blank and missing
reuben_tate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:25 PM   #13
Funnygurl555
-_-
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Do any of the middle schools in your area have a Health class that students take? Maybe it might be worth talking to some of the Health teachers at those schools and discuss the idea of making room for mental health in the curriculum. Perhaps the teacher is bound by a strict set of things they are (and aren't) expected to teach the students though. In either case, it'd be interesting to get a better perspective on why mental health is a topic that is hardly covered.
I'm not really in contact with middle schools that are near me in Princeton. The town I'm from in Minnesota has mandatory health classes in middle school though. That seems like a good idea.

I know teachers have to teach a certain amount of things but... like... in one of my classes in high school, they spent two hours talking to us about abstinence. Like, I'm sure they could give me an hour. I'll ask teachers from my school about that once I'm home.

Quote:
One thing I'm curious about is your plan to get students to attend your thing. If it's after school, there might be some students that need to catch the bus, or whose parents want to pick them up immediately after school, or maybe the students need to immediately go home for whatever reason.
I guess one way to fix this is to hold the same thing before and after school so that more people could attend, which would be feasible if I didn't have to worry about working during the year, but I can't count on that.

Another option is holding it on weekends, or at nights. Like when my AP teachers would hold Saturday morning reviews, most of the class came. I get that reviewing for an exam is much more pertinent to them, but the potential for students to come to Saturday morning things is there, ya no.

Quote:
There's also the issue of getting students interested in attending. Perhaps providing light refreshments might entice some students or perhaps having the health teacher provide extra credit to students that attend, idk.
Yeah, I'm defs gonna do the light refreshments thing. I'll ask about extra credit though. That seems like a good idea if the teachers would actually be fine with it lol

Quote:
Or perhaps you could ask teachers if you could spend 5 minutes at the start of their class to tell students about your project and if you can make it seem like something that would be interesting/engaging for them, perhaps that might be enough to get some students to attend.
I like this idea. If I end up not being able to use a whole class period or anything I feel like they'll at least be okay with me doing that.

Quote:
Talking about being interesting/engaging, it might help to plan some engaging activities for the students. Especially if they are middle school students...they probably don't want to just sit down and listen to a talking head for an hour :P
Lool, I taught English over the summer and it was super hard to get students engaged sometimes. I'll think of ways to make it interactive once I start lesson planning. IDK how I'm going to get all the content in in a class period tho T-T akdjflkadja;dfja;lfja

I'm tempted to try to pilot this idea over winter break but I don't know how much of my shit I'll actually get together by then

Also that was super helpful, reuben. Thanks

Last edited by Funnygurl555; 11-18-2017 at 07:25 PM..
Old 11-18-2017, 11:51 PM   #14
L.B.D.D
FFR Player

if there is a funnygurl555 is there a smartdude1212
L.B.D.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #15
Funnygurl555
-_-
FFR Veteran

updittles: i talked with the advisor for the fellowship i'm applying to and he raised a lot of the same questions as reuben did, and he pointed me to the teacher prep program to make things more legit

also gotta figure out how i'm gonna personally grow from it and stuff. like i'm basically working on things i'm passionate about but they also want people to step out of their comfort zone and discover things about themselves.

hmskidoozskidooz

also @l.b.d.d. yes there indeed is a smartdude1212 i met him irl
i wasn't the brightest 13 year old if you can tell by my username but i swear i'm not an actual dunce