Go Back   Flash Flash Revolution: Community Forums > Gaming > Stepmania > Simulator Files

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2017, 01:27 AM   #21
trumaestro
I don't get no respect
Simfile JudgeFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
trumaestro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Edmonton, AB
Age: 26
Posts: 1,153
Default Re: Guiles Theme (help me improve this file)

Dude is this your first file?

It's pretty impressive for a first file

or are you aliasing
trumaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 01:33 AM   #22
GuilesTheme
FFR Player
 
GuilesTheme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Age: 24
Posts: 15
Default Re: Guiles Theme (help me improve this file)

Thanks guys I will check out these possibilities when I get home from my friends house
GuilesTheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 02:59 AM   #23
Shadow_God_10
L0rdL3wd
FFR Veteran
 
Shadow_God_10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 24
Posts: 1,378
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadow_God_10
Default Re: Guiles Theme (help me improve this file)

Okay I'm a little more anal than most people when it comes to making files so, as always, I'll give a fair shot at it... I'm at work atm so I can't exactly review the ENTIRE file but here's what I have going for you for the first 20 seconds

05.439s-06.971s: See that quarter note you have above the freeze? you could move that to a 1 as opposed to a 2, that way the 8th note you have before the quarter will be the same as they would both be related to the snare

10.545s-11.056s- non-existent 8th note, remove that

12.587s-13.098s- same as above

13.098s-13.609s- Okay I'm a little confused here... are you going with the guitar or the drums in this section here? if you want consistency I'd remove the 24ths for the guitar as earlier you've been going with the drums and guitar as layering. That bit I agree with as I'd do the same thing because it works and, well, they're the only two instruments that stand out. if you want to use the guitar remove the 16th/32nd drum bit and finish the guitar lick with 4/3/2/1. so you'd have 24ths going 1/2/3/4/3/2/1 then the next measure.

16.417s-19.736s: this long freeze is understandable however it can be replaced with the drum build going 2/3/2/3/2/3 then layer in the quarter bass kick as a 1. that would improve the overall flow of the song because there's not a pregnant pause between sections.

I'll review the whole file when I get home.
__________________



Shadow_God_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:10 PM   #24
GuilesTheme
FFR Player
 
GuilesTheme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Age: 24
Posts: 15
Default Re: Guiles Theme (help me improve this file)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelNya View Post
Hi. Let me put my money where my mouth is. These aren't SUPER ULTRA MEGA in-depth, but they're a decent place to get you started.

I'm not super great simfile maker, so as always take 'em with a grain of salt, they're more ideas / conceptual than super fine tuning.

Sync isn't terrible, though given this song is live, it slowly drifts off. Might wanna get arrow vortex or ddream to fix it.
fixed this so it's a bit more on sync, was just one scroll wheel tic in ddream off from the correct bpm
2.504 - your jumps work, and don't work. This one in particular should be a 16th single note with a 98th following (also a single)
changed this to the best of my understanding i also noticed one 96th a bit later that i added too that is consistent with the one you point out
Also in this section, you're missing notes to the guitars that you just charted, and TBH those would be more worth jumping than the Bass Pedal + Drum here, because the guitars are easily over powering the drums.
changed this to the best of what it sounds like you say

4.674 - you do this ascending thing with the snares that's neat but then you go back to the same jump patterns as before, then you abandon it and add hands into the mix. It's incredibly inconsistent and ruins the flow by a mile and a half.
I removed most of the hands this time around in the file overall, thus lowering the clutter in the file, hopefully it plays more smoothly
9.141 - PR wise the guitar (8th notes wise) could be 2 3 4 and the first 32nd in this pattern is a ghost note (it doesn't exist, not sure how familiar you are so I'm only explaining this to cover bases.)
changed this i think i got what you were saying
20.247 - There's tons of mini jacks in here that aren't needed. Both doing it to the guitar, and the pedal is somewhat inaccurate as it's obvious there's two bass pedal kicks (so a trill is more appropriate and this file doesn't need to be needlessly technical about bass kicks are always same column) and frankly jacking the guitar is stupid because it's always an up-down motion. AKA this would give a better feel to actually playing it, and fix the flow to not be mindlessly difficult.
removed all the minijacks in favor of a trill, not entirely sure if i nailed this section as best as it can be, it's weird to step for
21.268 - Patterning makes no sense to the scale of the guitar tbh, and I'm pretty sure those aren't 32nds but my hearing and guitars don't agree so I couldn't tell you wehat it actually is, though I would guess 24ths. Someone with better hearing would be better equipped for this though.
i changed the 32nds to 24ths, removed the hands and put most of them as ascending pr guitar bits
35.054 - you could do some cool spin patterns here instead of just 1 2 3 4 3 2 1/ AKA something more like say 1 3 2 4 2 3 could do some fun patterning.
looks weird to me, but i put it in
36.075 - 52.414 - I actually like this section conceptually. Would clean the holds up in spots to end a 16th before the next one, but the hold @48.329 isn't a three note one , there's a lot more going for it than charted.
shortened the freezes, and tried something for the one at 48.329, i wasn't too sure what else i was supposed to hear there but maybe that's right?
50.627 - for simplicity in patterning, and this is really only a suggestion: 1 3 2 [[13] would be more fun to hit, and less of a pattern based difficulty spike. Would also change the 32nds of a similar nature following.
changed these
52.414 - You need to clean the minijacks up to be done properly in this section. The one at say 67.349 should be more (starting from 67.221) 3 22 3 124 or some thing along that line.
changed this section to follow your example the best i could
The rest of the file has similar issues, and a really nasty hand / jump spam problem
tried to clean up the rest in accordance to the similar section before hand and uncluttered a lot of hand/jumps
However let's talk the solo @125.939 because you've really limited yourself by making the patterning too tight for the drums, and not allowing the "sick super solo" to be show cased. I'd delete this section, and rechart the whole guitar solo, without adding ANY of the drums. Allow the patterning of the guitar to take precedence over all: it overpowers everything. You want to showcase some sick PR in following the guitar best four key can. Fuck the drums here: you don't need those silly things.
done and done
THEN. Right after the faster section of the solo around say 130.024: add in the high hat, and the snare, and allow them to only be jumped to the guitar, and never to each other. There's so much more you can do with this part, by redoing it and allowing other things to take precedence based on what feels the most powerful.
recharted now, trying to keep with PR
Also, you should recut the MP3 (before you fix your sync ) to cut out any part you're not charting. Saves memory and looks cleaner. You left off at a great place though as a side note.
i feel this one is a bit more personal preference, i'll cut it later on though it might mess up the sync for now
Tldr: cut the song a bit, fix your BPM drifting, fix layering, redo the solo from scratch, bear in mind you need to let parts breathe.

To figure out what I mean by "let it breathe" go find a song called S.Y.S.T.E.M. Simfile by NLVM or NVLM (I can't remember which.) and take a peek at all the difficulties. You'll see some gross spam of hands and jumps that don't let anything play nicely.
i only know the oni difficulty of that file, i like to try and have a broad view on what is a good or bad sim, system is pretty decent for a jack practice file, but the fact the hardest part is the ending long jack kinda ruins it for me



Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow_God_10 View Post
Okay I'm a little more anal than most people when it comes to making files so, as always, I'll give a fair shot at it... I'm at work atm so I can't exactly review the ENTIRE file but here's what I have going for you for the first 20 seconds
looking forward to it! check out the new download in this post, maybe you'll agree with most of the changes but there's always room for improvement so please feel free to assist thank you!
05.439s-06.971s: See that quarter note you have above the freeze? you could move that to a 1 as opposed to a 2, that way the 8th note you have before the quarter will be the same as they would both be related to the snare
very good point changed
10.545s-11.056s- non-existent 8th note, remove that
i hear a faint sound, but it plays better without the 8th i think? removed it
12.587s-13.098s- same as above
same
13.098s-13.609s- Okay I'm a little confused here... are you going with the guitar or the drums in this section here? if you want consistency I'd remove the 24ths for the guitar as earlier you've been going with the drums and guitar as layering. That bit I agree with as I'd do the same thing because it works and, well, they're the only two instruments that stand out. if you want to use the guitar remove the 16th/32nd drum bit and finish the guitar lick with 4/3/2/1. so you'd have 24ths going 1/2/3/4/3/2/1 then the next measure.
i changed the file to match this example, i think i get what you were getting at
16.417s-19.736s: this long freeze is understandable however it can be replaced with the drum build going 2/3/2/3/2/3 then layer in the quarter bass kick as a 1. that would improve the overall flow of the song because there's not a pregnant pause between sections.
changed it to this
I'll review the whole file when I get home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis_Flesher View Post
guiles it's a nice file. very challenging, which is great. my advice here would be to create new medium difficulty under the same mp3, which would give the user the option to choose either difficulty, and thus a better overall file. anyone that enjoyed the chart as much as i did probably wouldn't mind some mines thrown in there too hehe
added medium difficulty my original file is on heavy and the revised version on medium, this should be nice for seeing how the file is coming along as well
http://www.mediafire.com/file/iqmu1p...27s_Theme2.zip
GuilesTheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #25
Shadow_God_10
L0rdL3wd
FFR Veteran
 
Shadow_God_10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Age: 24
Posts: 1,378
Send a message via Skype™ to Shadow_God_10
Default Re: Guiles Theme (help me improve this file)

Dude I wasn't even done reviewing but I'll see what you fixed up After you're done this do you have anything planned as a wip?
__________________



Shadow_God_10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #26
GuilesTheme
FFR Player
 
GuilesTheme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Age: 24
Posts: 15
Default Re: Guiles Theme (help me improve this file)

i don't have any other wip's at the moment, i was thinking of making a file for gametal's big bad baby bowser, we'll see!
GuilesTheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:57 PM   #27
GuilesTheme
FFR Player
 
GuilesTheme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Age: 24
Posts: 15
Default Re: Guiles Theme (help me improve this file)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumaestro View Post
Dude is this your first file?

It's pretty impressive for a first file

or are you aliasing
i'm glad you think so let's just say this iiiiiiis my first file

how does the file look now with xel and shadow's suggestions?

Last edited by GuilesTheme; 05-21-2017 at 12:19 AM..
GuilesTheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 01:39 AM   #28
XelNya
Star-la lah- la la, la la
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
XelNya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,158
Default Re: Guiles Theme (help me improve this file)

As a side note: I included the thing about the MP3 because some people are actually that picky about it. I'm not usually one of them, and yours isn't that bad, but I figured it'd be good to fill you in on a small detail early.

Stuff like that is all about the polish of the presentation if nothing else.

Glad you're actually serious about making fixes on this though. I happen to really like Little V and have debated charting his Cynthia Theme sometime. :3
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Kitten View Post
**META INTENSIFIES**
Check out a Youtube channel I'm part of.
Listen to my brother's EP.

Last edited by XelNya; 05-21-2017 at 01:39 AM..
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:02 AM   #29
GuilesTheme
FFR Player
 
GuilesTheme's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Age: 24
Posts: 15
Default Re: Guiles Theme (help me improve this file)

As much as i realize how random it is to just come in and ask for help with a file like that i'm definitely serious about it. I am still up for any fix ups if you think it's still not in the best possible state right now.

I recently got into Little V Mill, that guy is super badass! I opened up stepmania and looked to see if anyone made a guile's theme file in the VGMP packs or just any of the other packs I have downloaded, there wasn't and this rendition of the song was so godly I knew what had to be done! I can imagine it being fun to make more files by Little V, it's fun learning new stuff when it comes to stepping
GuilesTheme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 02:26 AM   #30
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher
 
MinaciousGrace's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: nima
Posts: 4,038
Default Re: Guiles Theme (help me improve this file)

dont use mines that is all
__________________
sometimes stepmania
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 03:40 AM   #31
XelNya
Star-la lah- la la, la la
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran
 
XelNya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,158
Default Re: Guiles Theme (help me improve this file)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuilesTheme View Post
As much as i realize how random it is to just come in and ask for help with a file like that i'm definitely serious about it. I am still up for any fix ups if you think it's still not in the best possible state right now.
It's not that random, that's why we have a section for it.

Better to seek help than just assume you're good.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold Kitten View Post
**META INTENSIFIES**
Check out a Youtube channel I'm part of.
Listen to my brother's EP.
XelNya is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright FlashFlashRevolution