Old 06-29-2016, 02:41 PM   #121
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: FFR: The New User Perspective And New FFR Ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Halogen View Post
"Let you know?" >__>;

It's good that you're thinking about it, but when you're doing something from scratch, it's hard to take anything seriously until there's at least some sort of actual schematic for both the design and/or the (flow of) programming. Anyone can conceive the idea of wanting to build an engine on a platform.

It's also worth asking if Unity is the best choice for something like this in the first place. This is something that experienced FFR developers and/or developers who do things for other reasons might be able to elaborate on.
An FFR Engine, programmatically, isn't card to break down. A new engine by concept isn't hard, at least for me. I could come up with a new schematic in a week if I needed to, though, university research must take priority. (Gotta pay bills.)

There are two hard parts are designing, and the use of software. I'm not very familiar with HTML 5. I've mainly worked in Java/ JavaFX, C++, and RPG Maker. I've worked a tiny bit when it comes to web development, but thankfully, my current research will be requiring that I program an entire browser extension, so I'm going to get a whole lot more experience. It may shed on more options. Who knows. Maybe I could make an FFR-based browser extension. :P
Old 06-29-2016, 03:24 PM   #122
HeZe
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via MSN to HeZe

I'm building a fiffer engine using lego bricks, gonna keep you updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikexd View Post
Your strengths and weaknesses may never change, but they will still get better as you do, albeit disproportionately of course. You're bad at jumpstream, so just play jumpstream files. Play them for hours. Play ones you have to struggle to SDG, and play ones hard enough to make your hands and arms burn. Then play them some more. Then, the day after the next, play them again. If you aren't already doing this, you can't say you're stuck. Plateauing doesn't really exist, if you aren't improving it means you haven't put in the effort needed to improve, or your effort has been misapplied. It's more of a problem at really high levels, but never totally concrete.
HeZe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:28 PM   #123
Charu
Snivy! Dohoho!
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Make Spaghetti and use that to fiffer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRedWolf87 View Post
Charu the red-nosed Snivy
Had a very shiny nose
And if you ever saw it
You could even say it glows

All of the other Snivies
Used to laugh and call him names
They never let poor Charu
Join in any Snivy games

(Click the arrow to see the rest)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vendetta21 View Post
All in all I would say that Charu not only won this game, his play made me reconsider how I play it.
Charu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 04:40 PM   #124
Ohaider
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
tl;dr
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKG_Scintill View Post
make ffr great aga- no

king shitpost
Old 06-29-2016, 04:51 PM   #125
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charu View Post
Make Spaghetti and use that to fiffer.
Don't forget the sauce.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #126
sickufully
Sir Krisk
FFR Veteran

After reading every post, this is what I've gathered. Probably missed a few issues or suggestions but these seem to be the main points. I did this exact thing in the 'What's happening in here' thread which I personally think this thread kinda ties into. That post can be found here. Not all points in that post are relevant to this thread but a lot of them are similar or exactly what we are discussing here.

Summary of Issues
- New players not sticking around
- New players being bombarded with info
- New players not posting on forums
- New players posting questions to a redundant account (Synth's acc page)
- Suggestions being noticed but not acted upon
- Suggestions that are acted upon, are not significant
- Updates are frequent but are small and not adequate for reeling in new players
- Token system revamp (this is supposedly happening already)
- Restoring the userbase via emails (already touched on, not going to happen)
- FFR introduction removed (this)
- Permissions of songs
- No clear button that states where to 'Play FFR'
- Site layout very unappealing (has barely changed in over 5 years)
- Homepage is confusing (refer to above point)
- Navigation on forums is confusing
- Not enough staff to work on updates
- FFR on Kongregate and other small gaming sites
- Donations not being allowed
- Profit vs non-profit
- Pictionary for definitions (this is already a thing, but should be more accessible)
- Terminology needs to be better explained (but not forced down throats)
- MP is split up into its respective versions with a universal option for R^3 players only
- People's opinion on the Legacy genre
- Behind-closed-doors chats (not really a huge issue here)

Suggestions/Potential Fixes
- Encourage newcomers to sign-up. Give them a reason to want to play more
- Perks for referring friends
- Lag issues and remedies addressed in the FAQ (at the top of the page)
- Completely new and simplified homepage (just a complete rework)
- Personalised homepage (can move things around, hide/show things, make it how you want it)
- All mods accessible from all game versions (obviously some are impossible)
- Live chat server up 24/7. Pro-chat updated to voice chat maybe (push to chat)
- 'Become a Stepfile Artist' section of the forums (basically a guide on everything there is to know about producing stepfiles)
- Database structure changes (halogen touched on this in his post)
- Teasers for updates (screenshots, videos, chart previews, etc.)
- Legacy Genre removed
- Remove Legacy songs from the levelranks but keep them in game
- Add a banner or warning message to let users know that Legacy files are original but 'messy'
- FFR Welcome Page (suggested by Psychoangel here)
- Unlock harder song difficulties as you progress through the game
- Guides for specific areas of the site/game (for offset, rates, mods, TWG, etc.)
- Rework of genres (this is my own suggestion cause I feel the genres are far too broad)
- Stickied threads should be more accessible or displayed differently
- Tokens displayed in a grid layout with different ways to sort them
- Standalone version of FFR needs to be made aware of
- Logged out users (or guests) don't need to see half of the content that registered users see (s1rnight touches on this in his post)

I dunno how many of you actually looked at this (no one provided feedback) but I feel it's a good starting points for design improvements. Good explanation for each image as well.
Gundam-Dude's post about the site homepage

Also, I think s1rnight is onto some really good suggestions here. Most of these points seem like they would be beneficial to the site.
s1rnight's suggestions

Take what you will from this post, it's supposed to just be a neutral point-of-view summary of the thread but it would be good to see some responses on what is going to come from this discussion.
Old 06-30-2016, 09:08 AM   #127
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenorosth View Post
This will take a LONG, time, but I'm looking into making an FFR Engine design in Unity. Currently, this is a solo thing, and it's an experiment to see what unity is capable of. If anyone wants to take this project seriously, let me know, but I can't guarantee anything for now.
lmao how pretentious can one man get?

If you worthless peons need help developing a Unity engine, lmk

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickufully View Post
- Token system revamp (this is supposedly happening already)
Nothing is "supposedly" happening, it's absolutely happening and the normal token revamp is being implemented sooner than you think.

We have actually been extremely transparent on this one, reaching out to the userbase twice for opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickufully View Post
- Standalone version of FFR needs to be made aware of
Not so much "made aware of" as "shove down people's throats"
>User plays in browser
>Message pops up
>Hey, can't help but notice you're playing in a browser, you may be interested in using a standalone flash player to help reduce lag issues. >>click link here<<
>End.

Last edited by rushyrulz; 06-30-2016 at 09:22 AM..
rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 09:25 AM   #128
Xenorosth
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rushyrulz View Post
lmao how pretentious can one man get?

If you worthless peons need help developing a Unity engine, lmk
No offense, but I think you're a exaggerating a bit. I'm doing it because it was an idea another developer gave me. But if you feel like viewing it like that I suppose I can't stop you.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:30 PM   #129
rushyrulz
Digital Dancing!
Retired StaffFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Music ProducerD7 Elite KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Your post was the very definition of pretentious. It's like saying, "guys I just started CS1300 web development in HTML, let me know if you need any pointers for redesigning the front page."

In order for a Unity engine to work for FFR, here is a list of things that would need to be addressed:

1) Make an interface that doesn't deter too much from the current look and feel of R^3. If people don't see what they're used to seeing, it will not be received well.
2) The game needs to be playable not only at the same level, but better than it currently is with all current playstyle settings still intact.
3) You need to find a way to convert Flash swfs to be playable by Unity (this is a project in and of itself), you could incorporate Unity into Flash, but we would be having the same flash versioning issues as always, so not really a solution.
4) You would probably need to publish a standalone version or subject players to a tedious process for installing Unity standalone plugins, also involving accessing browser caches to get appropriate files which needs to be repeated every time new content is added.
5)...
6)...
7)... <list of unforseen issues continues here>

To completely recode the engine on a different platform would be the largest project this site has ever seen. Everything from the timing windows to the way the arrows scroll to the levels themselves (and how we convert .sm files for import into FFR) is dependent on Flash right now.

I'd say even a seasoned Unity developer would be up for a serious challenge with this project.

While it's not an impending issue, and players are still able to obliterate 25+NPS files with near perfect precision, Flash is an acceptable platform to use since the infrastructure already exists.

And I most certainly do not want to see a StepMania clone implementation of FFR, however much that would wet some users' panties...

Sorry for rambling, but I get a bit perturbed when people start complaining about a platform transition not happening, because it takes soooo much work, more that can be accomplished by such a limited dev team we have.

rushyrulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 01:57 PM   #130
MinaciousGrace
FFR Player
D7 Elite Keysmasher

you know i feel like programming is the single occupation in which there is a pervasive obliviousness to the fact that all occupations have a distribution of skill/talent and that the vast majority of people in any occupation fall below the entirely unremarkable threshold

it's like everyone who figures out how to make a couple dozen lines of code do what they want is continuously waving their dicks around in everyone else's face about how they can do everything faster better smarter than anyone else

well it's less of a dick waving than like, sitting in the middle of times square with a number of giant neon signs pointing to how your dick is clearly better than anyone else's and if anyone'd like to take a look they can feel free to suck it

i don't know where i'm going with this but i guess my point is that you're all garbage and i could make a better game in 20 minutes if i wanted to bye
MinaciousGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-2-2016, 03:38 PM   #131
Spenner
Forum User
Retired Staff

Send a message via MSN to Spenner Send a message via Skype™ to Spenner

Yo, having a floating menu or Quick Links kinda floating bar at the bottom of the site would be super easy and more user friendly for those in-and-out of playing the game and browsing the forum. Even a little popup for profile chat would be pretty cool and perhaps not the most difficult. Just something that came to mind I noticed felt pretty empty, was the bottom of my internet window.

Spenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 01:47 PM   #132
powerjoggeli
FFR Player

Hello everyone. I feel like sharing my thoughts on this.

I'm someone who played this game all the time from around 2008 to 2012. I just remembered this game today and googled to see if something new happened here in the past 3-4 years. I'm not sure why exactly I stopped playing this game, but I think it was a combination of two things.

1) it just gets boring after a while.
2) Technical issues. Flash sucks massive dick.

Sometimes I feel like playing this game again. I open the web version and it just runs like crap. Then I'm like whatever and close the tab. I know there is a flash standalone thing but I don't want to download it. Too lazy & somehow it just doesn't feel right. It makes feel like I'm playing something abandoned.

In my opinion, what could give this game a serious boost is a solid desktop client (Unity or whatever) and Steam. Add some social stuff, achievements, leveling or some other type of progression system. Maybe some daily or weekly challenges to unlock some stuff. And whatever else all the modern games have these days. This game could get pretty big again.

But of course I understand that building a desktop client + getting it on Steam is a lot of work. And not many are willing to invest the time and work do that for free.

But I have no doubt that this would bring me back to this game.
powerjoggeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:16 PM   #133
M0nkeyz
Simfile Judge
Simfile JudgeDifficulty ConsultantFFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

the market for this game is just very niche, with all the new free-to-play games that are out nowadays, and the fact cheap modern pc's are much more powerful than they were during the golden FFR days. People just don't wanna invest alot of time into an old game. When they can play new cool looking games instead.

I introduced a friend to this game and he just didn't want to bother. The game is too much of a time investment and the endgame(high level songs) is just too much of a challenge to casually get to. The music in the game also doesn't appeal to everybody. And I guess most people just prefer to play moba's and shooters over rhythmgames nowadays.
M0nkeyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 01:58 AM   #134
igotrhythm
Fractals!
FFR Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to igotrhythm

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerjoggeli View Post

I'm someone who played this game all the time from around 2008 to 2012. I just remembered this game today and googled to see if something new happened here in the past 3-4 years. I'm not sure why exactly I stopped playing this game, but I think it was a combination of two things.

Sometimes I feel like playing this game again. I open the web version and it just runs like crap. Then I'm like whatever and close the tab. I know there is a flash standalone thing but I don't want to download it. Too lazy & somehow it just doesn't feel right. It makes feel like I'm playing something abandoned.

In my opinion, what could give this game a serious boost is a solid desktop client (Unity or whatever) and Steam. Add some social stuff, achievements, leveling or some other type of progression system. Maybe some daily or weekly challenges to unlock some stuff. And whatever else all the modern games have these days. This game could get pretty big again.

But of course I understand that building a desktop client + getting it on Steam is a lot of work. And not many are willing to invest the time and work do that for free.

A lot of the achievements and progression bars you talk about are already built into the game nowadays. Tokens == achievements, we have "friends" on profiles, and we have tier points as leveling/progression.
igotrhythm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #135
Figlar20k
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerjoggeli View Post

The flash standalone doesn't even work for people.

Yes I've been on the thread, downloaded the "standalone" flash players listed on the thread, and it keeps saying that I already have it downloaded in chrome which is utter BS because I can't use it standalone!!!

At least make it easy for people
Figlar20k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:31 AM   #136
Rapta
🡸Index🡻Is🡹Fun!🡺
Global ModeratorMultiplayer ModeratorFFR Simfile AuthorD8 Godly KeysmasherFFR Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figlar20k View Post
The flash standalone doesn't even work for people.

Yes I've been on the thread, downloaded the "standalone" flash players listed on the thread, and it keeps saying that I already have it downloaded in chrome which is utter BS because I can't use it standalone!!!

At least make it easy for people
i made this for the official youtube channel for ffr
maybe it can help you

Standalone Video
Note the left hand pinky. It stretches out into attack mode to make etienne's hand appear larger, an intimidation technique for the arrows.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mourningfall
[3:51 PM] Mourningfall: i spent the second half of that song getting face fucked by a fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiz View Post
Hi I see rapta come play TWG next game
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXOpkillerXx View Post
Rapta thinks alot about memes and fonts. I'd be inclined to think he's town because wolves wouldn't have time to meme would they ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk
if we keep releasing engines that work on 1/4 of people's computers, we'll get there
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
do u even agrabah
Quote:
Originally Posted by gold stinger
Today at 12:53 AM
I have no fucking idea how you were able to identify that specific line from meme show so you are basically an elder god of memes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychotik
When I think Mother’s Day, I think Venetian Snares.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haku
have you heard someone mention eating pancakes to negate friday 13th?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prawnskunk at 10:53:56pm on 10/26/11
OMFG VC! I want your programming fingers in or around my mouth OnO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storn at 3:03 PM
We have so many batches open. Its like a backlog clearance sale. ALL FILES MUST GO!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonE156 at 11:07 PM
You've never felt intimacy until you've practiced Jiu Jitsu ground techniques with the only girl in class
Rapta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 11:52 AM   #137
Dinglesberry
longing
FFR Veteran

Don't worry boys, just wait until big Dingles develops his own custom FFR player.

It's actually gonna be a wrapper for the Flash 9 player to display relevant info at the same time as the game, but I got some #B1GPL4NZ - basically it stems from the fact that I play FFR with the ffr website minimized and always have certain tabs open - trying to create a solution where all the info you need stays open and is nicely laid out. Just messin about for fun.

Quote:
I'm not very familiar with HTML 5. I've mainly worked in Java/ JavaFX, C++, and RPG Maker.
This is what lets me know you probably won't be able to lol... No one I know who actually knows how to do software development even thinks about what languages they "know" lol.. I've had classes where they randomly make us code in something like Ruby, never used it before, but its so trivial what language you use because the principles apply anyways... Lol the fact that you even mention Java and C++.. All good though brother good luck with your engine.

Last edited by Dinglesberry; 07-11-2016 at 12:03 PM..
Dinglesberry is offline   Reply With Quote